• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are the average games' loading times as fast as you once thought they'd be?

• Yes. They meet the expectations I had for next-gen loading.

Votes: 675 62.7%
  • No. They may be quick, but not as fast as I thought they would be.

Votes: 218 20.3%
  • Some do, but most don't.

Votes: 105 9.8%
  • Most do, but some don't.

Votes: 78 7.2%

• Total voters

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
These are early days, of course. Load times will likely get faster in the years ahead, but I'm actually a bit disappointed. Particularly in multiplatform games. It can still commonly take 30+ seconds to go from the OS to gameplay. I would be shocked if anybody here six months ago would have guessed that it would take that long to get into ANY game this gen. Getting back into the OS from rest mode is not really any appreciably faster than last gen either.

The most impressed I've been with loading times so far is when using Activity Cards to resume a game like Miles Morales, Astro's Playroom, or Sackboy, where it can take 7-10 seconds from OS to playing the game (but only when it works like it's supposed to and skips the intro logos, which often doesn't happen), and it can only take 2-3 seconds to load into gameplay from the game's main menu. That's what I expected out of every game after the PS5's specs were announced. Naive, ignorant, maybe, but it's clearly possible to load a huge open world game that's even cross-generation in 2 seconds as seen in Miles, so I don't think it's wholly unfair to assume.

The loading times are still a big improvement; don't get me wrong. I'm appreciative of how relatively quick most things are. I was just thinking that we would get more than the average 2-5x faster loading since the SSDs are 50-100x faster than the old HDDs.

Are the loading times you're experiencing as fast as you thought they'd be, say, six months to a year ago? Would also like to discuss backwards-compatible titles and why specifically the Series X almost always loads them faster.

Again, early days, but I think we've seen enough over the last three months to at least have some discussion about it.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
Demon's Souls is the only true next gen exclusive on offer as it stands and it delivers fully. The load times there are ridiculously good and it's hard to go back to even improved load times on PS5 for PS4 games after that.

The difference in Miles Morales compared to Spider-Man is pretty incredible too infact. Even though that's cross gen Insomniac clearly put in a lot of work getting that up to next gen level.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
For actual next-gen games? Yes. Demon's Souls set a really nice bar. Cross-gen and BC games, not really.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I've mostly been playing backwards compatible titles so I haven't experienced a whole lot of next gen loading but I am enjoying what improvements there are there.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
My Series X is in quick start mode and by the time HDMI CEC turns on the TV it's already booted up and then quick resuming something like Hollow Knight takes like 3 seconds. It's great.

If it was cold boot into something like Gears 5 no quick resume, then yeah it'll take 40-60 seconds.

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Differs from game to game. Happy with Spider-Man and Miles Morales along with Demon's Souls. Disappointed with basically everything else. But I expect it'll get better further into the generation.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yup for both and its fuckin awesome

I don't even need the "gameplay altering" stuff and if it didn't come I wouldn't care, the faster loads are worth it alone

Last edited:

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nioh 2 also joins Miles, Demon's, Sackboy and Astro in the impressive loading times list.

I feel like mostly third-parties are still not optimizing their games for the new consoles SSDs, probably because of cross-gen games.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Expecting more was not reasonable. There's always gonna be some loading.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I'm generally pretty happy with loading speeds. It's definitely a huge difference compared to last generation and I'd guess as we go on and get out of the cross gen period the loads will only get faster. Quick resume is also pretty crazy when it works properly. Launching a game I last played a month ago and just being in gameplay right where I left off is super nice, and hopefully it'll work more consistently with some updates

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, I'm surprised that, so far, most people in the poll expected the average game to take 30+ seconds to go from OS to gameplay. Although maybe that's on me for having too high of expectations.

The younger naive me from last year thought we'd be pressing an icon and being in gameplay in like 10 seconds.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
They're somewhat faster than I expected.

For next-gen games, BC games are better, but not "magic" like nextgen so far.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
These are early days, of course. Load times will likely get faster in the years ahead, but I'm actually a bit disappointed. Particularly in multiplatform games. It can still commonly take 30+ seconds to go from the OS to gameplay. I would be shocked if anybody here six months ago would have guessed that it would take that long to get into ANY game this gen. Getting back into the OS from rest mode is not really any appreciably faster than last gen either.

The most impressed I've been with loading times so far is when using Activity Cards to resume a game like Miles Morales, Astro's Playroom, or Sackboy, where it can take 7-10 seconds from OS to playing the game (but only when it works like it's supposed to and skips the intro logos, which often doesn't happen), and it can only take 2-3 seconds to load into gameplay from the game's main menu. That's what I expected out of every game after the PS5's specs were announced. Naive, ignorant, maybe, but it's clearly possible to load a huge open world game that's even cross-generation in 2 seconds as seen in Miles, so I don't think it's wholly unfair to assume.

The loading times are still a big improvement; don't get me wrong. I'm appreciative of how relatively quick most things are. I was just thinking that we would get more than the average 2-5x faster loading since the SSDs are 50-100x faster than the old HDDs.

Are the loading times you're experiencing as fast as you thought they'd be, say, six months to a year ago? Would also like to discuss backwards-compatible titles and why specifically the Series X almost always loads them faster.

Again, early days, but I think we've seen enough over the last three months to at least have some discussion about it.

sounds like you should get a Series X

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love it. I've been PC gaming primarily for 10 years now and the expediency of jumping around my library is having me gaming a whole lot more.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Not really, for it to be so hyped I expected more. It's still pretty slow for some games

Oct 27, 2017
They're within what I expected and more. The majority of games aren't developed with them in mind at the moment and you can tell the ones that are. Spiderman (Remastered and Miles Morales), Astrobot, Sackboy and Demons Souls are exceptional. Sports games like FIFA are generally good too but there are sometimes unskippable animations at times which irk me with that. Also MK11 is pretty solid and Control while not to the level of titles like Spiderman or Astrobot see a very noticeable improvement. I think BC games are a little disappointing but it is what it is on that front.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
The Series X intsantly loading into games from boot is impressive. Its just we need to wait for more next gen games. So far games like Fifa, MK 11 have impressed me but the lod times need to be close to instant as they promised

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
sounds like you should get a Series X
How come? Not to say I shouldn't, and I do plan on getting one a year or two from now when the new-gen Gamepass lineup is more impressive and filled-out, but just because the whole BC games loading faster? I don't play enough BC titles to really make it worth it.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Actual next gen games are extremely impressive in load times. I am still shocked how fast demon's souls loads.

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Games took minutes before. 30 seconds is nothing.
It's much better. I wouldn't argue that and this thread isn't meant to argue that. It's just not as fast as I thought it would be. And 30 seconds is at the low end of the average game from OS to gameplay. Most take longer than that, sometimes up to a minute.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely. Only online games have loading screens longer than 10 seconds pretty much. All those loading tunnel sections or empty space in open worlds to give time for the next area to load feel like a relic of the past now.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't see an option for "Exceeded Expectations", so I refrained from voting. I only have a PS5, and so far that's what Demon's Souls did for me. It's just ridiculously fast. Excited to see where we'll be on both platforms, especially with exclusives, in a year or two. Exciting times.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing a lot more games than last Gen because of the faster load times and quick resume especially.

Jedi Fallen Order was a game I literally put down because of extremely long load times. The Series X enhancement and quick resume will be why I complete this game. Control has been amazing since the enhancement dropped too

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have both consoles and they're both fantastic.

XSX with Quick resume is especially impressive. Sometimes I just forget about it and go to start an older and and BAM.. literally right where I fucking left off in 6 seconds. Fantastic.

GovernWort

Prophet of Truth
Feb 20, 2020
The fact I can be sailing the on Sea of Thieves in less than a minute on my Series X is such a game changer.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I can always tell when i'm playing a game thought out for next gen and suddenly my brain goes like "oh yeah...this is really fast"

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see an option for "Exceeded Expectations", so I refrained from voting. I only have a PS5, and so far that's what Demon's Souls did for me. It's just ridiculously fast. Excited to see where we'll be on both platforms, especially with exclusives, in a year or two. Exciting times.
Yeah, but I'm talking about the "average game." Demon's Souls/Astro/Sackboy/Miles are faster than most other games, particularly multiplatform, which takes up the majority of the library.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah the Series X time to get into any game from anywhere is so good.

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
And yeah, Quick Resume is extremely awesome. I was shocked when PS5 didn't have it.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
It is mostly like having a PC with an SSD with notable exceptions being Quick Resume and Spider-Man for me. Still super happy with the results. Night and day with titles like Hitman and Control.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
The fast loading makes it really really hard for me to continue playing my Switch games.

Now, every time I play Animal Crossing or Age of Calamity, I find myself groaning with the long loads. It really takes the joy out of it.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Not quite as fast as I was hoping perhaps -- they're definitely not instant yet. That said, the couple of times I've gone back to play something on the PS4, the load times are already INTOLERABLE. So yeah, my mind hasn't been blown, but that's probably just because PS5 load times just immediately became the new normal for me.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 games like Miles Morales, and that's a big open world game at that, already do load with the snap of a finger. That was what I hoped for and expected. I did also expect that games that were not primarily made for PS5, last gen games and multiplatform games, won't make full use of that, because that's what knowledgable people explained to us before the console released. So everything went as expected for me personally.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza Like a Dragon charges instantly to the point that most of the time you can't read the tips on the loading screens.

In the other hand, multiplayer games aren't that great since you still have to wait players without an SSD

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
There is almost no games that are optimized to use the hardware decompression. It's done by the cpu, that's why it's not super fast.

A lot of future games will be as fast as Miles Morales load times.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I was expecting 2-3s loading on the next-gen version of games and next-gen games... They're still faster than me taking a sip of my coffee.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
We haven't seen what these SSDs can do yet, as almost all of the games so far are last gens games that haven't been reconstructed and optimized to take advantage of NVME SSD speeds.

We have a few examples on PS5 though - Astrobot, Demon's Souls, and Miles Morales, all of which have a ~4 second max load screen.

So yes, in the future load screens will pretty much be a thing of the past, and the only loading we'll be aware of will be short little 3-4 second animations of an entire world loading, as certain PS5 titles are already demonstrating.

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's much better. I wouldn't argue that and this thread isn't meant to argue that. It's just not as fast as I thought it would be. And 30 seconds is at the low end of the average game from OS to gameplay. Most take longer than that, sometimes up to a minute.
Isn't most of that due to unskippable logos and crap? On PC you can delete those at least.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I recently completed Dragon Quest 11 on the X. And it dawned in me how much better the experience was because of that.

This game had so many load screens when fast travelling, loading and just jumping back in with Quick Resume. I know I would have given up in that game with a last gen console easily from frustration. Now it's a joy.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, but I'm talking about the "average game." Demon's Souls/Astro/Sackboy/Miles are faster than most other games, particularly multiplatform, which takes up the majority of the library.
Ahhhh, ok.

Not sure my answer changes much though. To be fair, I have a limited sample size so far, with first-party offerings being quite good.