• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 9, 2017
I watched this when i was a young kid and was expecting ultra violence like found in other Manga Entertainment titles like Ninja Scroll, Devilman OVA's, Wicked City, Fist of the North Star....etc. As a result I remember hating this film very much since I was not expecting a psychological thriller. Really need to give it another chance.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
It ended up being the last Kon film I saw but it's one of his best. I felt like I was losing my mind in the last part of the film. It's a serious trip.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Wonderful film. Satoshi Kon is hugely missed.

I recently got my Blu-Ray of this - probably as good as the film can look, even if it's not absolutely pristine.

Nov 1, 2017
Finally saw this a few weeks ago and was blown away. Went in without knowing what it was supposed to be about, just that it was hyped as one of the greatest anime movies and wow does it live up to the hype. An engaging film throughout. Even more relevant today than it was when it was released.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
My second favorite of Kon's work (right after Millennium Actress), but also probably his most memorable. I was lucky enough to see this in the theater in Boston a few years back, it was a great experience.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I watched this way too young and a certain screwdriver scene gave me nightmares for ages. Kinda think I just wanted some anime tiddy, bad movie for that in retrospect... I think I watched another film by this director, Paprika? That was dope!

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it and thought it was good, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite Satoshi Kon movie. Now Millennium Actress though

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Perfect Blue is the only movie that disturbed me enough that I'd to stand up and actually go to my VHS player and stop the movie, only to say aloud: "WHAT THE FUCK?"

The "rape" scene that is inside the movie Mima is doing. The casualness of the scene when they "cut" in the middle of the scene was just too much for me

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Does it need more love though? I'm pretty sure it's one of the most highly regarded and well known non-Ghibli anime movies.
It was extremely hard to legally own a copy of this movie in the United States until quite recently. Kon as a filmmaker should have his career celebrated with all the greats.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Patiently waiting for the 4k release. Actually, we need all of Kon's films in 4k please. We've only got Millennium Actress so far :(

Perfect Blue
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Paprika

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been meaning to rewatch it for a couple of years now, I really should. Paprika is also absolutely amazing, and we all lost a once in a generation director when Kon died tbh.

Tenchi in love is one of the greatest anime movies ever, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I thought this movie was utterly brilliant. It's also the ONLY time a piece of fiction has successfully made me totally unsure about my own reality. I was right with the protagonist for a few minutes wondering if everything I'd seen up until that point had been a total lie. Like, if what I'd seen in the movie itself was not what I'd seen in the movie itself.

I also remember as a child hearing about this movie in school as a film people were letting their kids see because "it's animated like that Pokemon cartoon they like so much."

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I remember when I was like 12, or 13, I saw that this anime was playing on PPV, and I thought it was going to be a good time so I convinced my mom to let me rent it.. Nope. Feels bad man. Really good movie in hindsight, but my 13 year old self was expecting something different.

RIP Satoshi Kon, fucking fantastic director.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
I normally watch this as part of a trilogy including Black Swan and Neon Demon. thats a great trifecta of movies to watch high on mushrooms.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I seen this movie like 3 times and for the life of me I cannot remember a damn thing about it. Of course it was so long ago too....

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this when I was 15 or 16 and it gave me nightmares.

There was a time when my only exposure to anime was Toonami. I assume it was that way for a lot of people my age. When adult swim started, I watched Cowboy Bebop and it completely changed my perspective on what anime could be. I eventually got a job at Hollywood Video and rented Perfect Blue and Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade. Both movies left a big impression on me, but Perfect Blue in particular blew my mind. The feelings I felt when I first watched it still stick with me today. I got a chance to see it in theaters a couple years ago and it was just as good as I remembered.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Blind bought this on sale a while back but haven't watched it yet

It's going down this weekend

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Thanks for reminding me that I bought this on blu-ray about 2 years ago and it's still sealed. I should rewatch.

As for Kon's overall work, I think Paprika is still my favourite. It was also the first one I watched.
I need to rewatch Millennium Actress one day too, I wasn't really into it for some reason. I barely remember what happened.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got round to watching it tonight after seeing this thread. I thought it was great, especially for an anime. And I don't mean that in a smug or condescending way - I personally have seen precious few anime films (in a naturalistic thriller genre) that I would consider to be great if you took the same script and shot it in live action and judged it by those standards. I'd say that about a lot of western animated films that people lavish praise on too. But I think this would translate pretty seamlessly to live action with minimal tweaks.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was probably too young to watch this when I did (think I was like twelve?). It was aired here on TV one night when they were showing an anime movie marathon on our local channel throughout the night.

I never saw it again after that day but it stood out immensely to me on my first watch. I've been meaning to revisit it since it's subconsciously been embedded ever since as a long-time favorite. It was really suspenseful and harrowing.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I always forget to watch this. I really liked Paprika and must've seen it at least 3 times. Is the English dub good?

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I just rented it. This better be good!
I got my girlfriend to watch it with me. Wish me luck. She hates anime.

Edit:
oooph… not a good idea. She likes it so far, though. Yikes

Last edited:

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
saw this a year or two ago for the first time when they had a limited theater showing. so damn good.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
unrelated, but i watched the second patlabor movie last night and kon's name popped up as a key animator and storyboard artist. what a talent.