• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
I've been seeing a lot of discourse about "neopronouns" on apps like Twitter and TikTok by people my age lately...and for very good reason. Neopronouns, in simpler terms, are a subcategory of pronouns used in place of ones such as the typical he/she/they and such. Examples could include "Xe" as in "Xe laughed" or "Ze/Zie/Zir" as in "Ze likes zirself''. If you're confused, don't worry...I was as well. I've seen them referenced before in pop culture like Star Wars, but I never knew there was an established term for this (and I found that out just a few hours ago). Of course, being the person that I am, I always try to respect someone's pronouns no matter how unfamiliar I am with them so I was fairly unbothered.

Now, the problem is that there are some really wacky neopronouns I've been seeing. Recently, I've been reading some bios on TikTok and seeing pronouns like "Moth" or "Doll" or "Bun". At first glance, I'm like "wait, that's not a pronoun!" but the comments in that person's videos say otherwise. Super weird, but I felt as if it was none of my business. However, I realized that those aren't even the WEIRDEST of the bunch. The more I stumbled into it, the worse it got. I've been seeing some people in the comments refer to themselves as "BLM/BLMself", "Star/Starself", and even emojis (yes, I'm 100% serious).

It wasn't long until l saw someone in the comments point out that "it's Tumblr" all over again. And if that's going by anything, I'm guessing this is where the awful "Attack Helicopter" originated from. I'm going to be honest, I just don't see how these are practical at all. Let's take away the internet from the conversation. In real life, respecting pronouns isn't even normalized upon the average person. I can't even imagine how the average person will react to someone referring to themselves with an emoji (seriously, how would that work?), especially when the "common" neopronouns are already foreign to about 99.9% of the population. There's already a lot of infighting about what's valid and what's not valid. I just know that this infighting is not going to go so well. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just stop OP. People aren't hurting anyone with their pronouns, even if something like emojis is a little goofy. It's ok.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I've heard content creators that are fully integrated into these communities say even they've never actually met some of the people who go with the more outlandish neopronouns, it's honestly such a tiny section of people who which to be addressed such. It does nobody any harm, of I ever met someone who wanted to be referred to as xe/xim I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem... I just kind of doubt I ever will?

The only "problem" anyone could claim is that this small community is blown up to "expose" the rights problems with language and gender on the left, but, and this is important, I don't give a fuck what any of those idiots think.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We don't think this is going to result in a thread that is worthwhile and it has the potential to be offensive to the trans and NB communities. As such, we're locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.