• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
To be fair it's primarily the T shaped visor that does it, which isn't unique to Boba. The rest is fairly different. I mean it's an obvious homage, but that's how 90s Capcom rolled.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until recently, he was a better developed character than Boba too. By the by, go play Maverick Hunter X if you haven't already. Playing through Megaman X as Vile is a lot of fun. The back and forth between him and the bosses is also amusing. Vile doesn't give a fuck.

Oct 27, 2017
The original Metal Gear box art was literally just a painted version of a promo still of Michael Biehn as Kyle Reese from The Terminator.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
675cedbffaa87a5ec61337dda2be2e9b.jpg

I think I read an interview with the developer that the artist wasn't aware of Boba Fett until after the fact. I was thinking "yeah right."

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I like to imagine he looks like Boba under his helmet too. Darker complexion/scarred up face.
If he even has a face under there that is. I imagine he does right? Since every other reploid seems to.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Vile is more of a character in an old snes game then Fett was in the OT.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don't even know where to begin with this sentence.

Right...

Even if one were to remotely entertain the idea of a lawsuit anyways, Class Action litigation wouldn't apply in the case anyways besides being similar is not warranted enough to be considered for copyright violation. Copyright does not protect ideas, concepts, systems, or methods of doing something. As for the source of this, that comes from here http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html

There are also Fair Use and Parody Clause to consider as well.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
The amount of blatant plagiarism in the video game industry is disgusting. Well, at least Namco would never copy an artist's original idea without giving him full cred...

$_57__50000.1519348795.JPG

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Would be a shame if they took anything else
d6c27td-ea20c06e-f9e7-4203-9b3a-f4c4318bdaa4.jpg
Hm, which game actually introduced the Z-saber? IIRC in X1 he only ever uses a charge buster. The Z-Saber is also more flared than light sabers are, more like Gundam beam sabers. However that light saber Sigma uses in X1? That's definitely Star Wars.

mmx1-end-sigmaform1.gif

Though let's not forget Casshan/Casshern as an influence:
Casshan.jpg

While Rush doesn't look much like Friender (the dog), Sigma's dog definitely does and one of the robot dog minibosses in classic MM is even called Friender for no reason.

Did Viewtiful Joe take the mask closing and eyes lighting up fighting stance from Kamen Rider or is that another Casshern thing?

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
90's and 80s action games in general were like the wild west of blockbuster character rip-offs. Contra's Terminator and Xenomorph, etc. That one game that straight up had Godzilla in it without the rights
Yeah, I mean Snake from Metal Gear is based on . . . Snake, from Escape From New York. And once you picture Snake based in Kurt Russel you can't unsee it.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
80s and 90s are rampant with this. I assume it's a mix of tight deadlines, the developers simply thought it would be cool, and the belief that no one would care/notice. Though it is funny when a lot of these rip off designs still endure to this day. Simon Belmont is just a ripoff of Schwarzenegger Conan and now that character's in Smash. Along with Snake who was a rip off of Kurt Russell.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not really seeing it. It's not like 'missiles and guns' isn't a common enough thing in Megaman games about heavily armed combat robots, let alone sci-fi in general that long predates Star Wars. Is it just about the visor? Armoured helmets with vision slits like that go back hundreds of years too.
The black tone behind the vision slit combined with it, though, yeah, Bobba Fett is obviously the influence for that.

Given how small he was on screen at the time, the big influence I saw was a robot with a shoulder-mounted cannon, which tons of JP mech kits and transformers toys used in the 80s, along with Predator etc.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Boy, they'd be in Astronomically hot water if they ripped off anything else!

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Vile's better because he actually has notable on-screen accomplishments in his franchise. All Fett ever did was look cool and get knocked down into a death pit by a blind guy.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom also pretty much used My Michelle from Guns n' Roses for Neon Tiger stage in X3 (and he's kinda of another wolverine rip-off lmao)

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Vile > Boba Fett

Oh yeah, I went there... Seriously, there is no comparison. Boba is just a man with a tin can on his head and a janky jetpack. Vile is a highly advanced robot.

Djiman

Apr 1, 2018
Paris
Considering the insane amount of shameless "inspirations" in Star Wars (Hello Valérian et Lauréline), I definitely can't be bothered by that.