• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
What did everyone think about the combat in Hellblade?

I personally thought it was generally serviceable. Countering and attacking was particularly satisfying. Focus added a nice effect that made for some good crowd control. I did find that it grew old rather quickly, though. There wasn't much to it besides the basics you learn from your first fight or two. Fighting multiple enemies at once was often frustrating due to the camera and incredibly narrow FOV. Generally, I would have liked more moves and tricks. None of the fights really required you to do anything different from any other fight. More variety would have been welcome.

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It was very simple and very repetitive. It was also often difficult to tell how far in to the fight you were and how much you had left. It was very cinematic in a way that I didn't feel very in control of what was happening.

However, it was fine for the type of game Hellblade was. Given its budget and intention I think the simplicity of its combat system made sense and it wasn't bad so much as it was basic. I would definitely like to see the combat refined for the sequel, but I'm not sure exactly what I'd do. That kind of cinematic combat is cool to watch but not especially fun to play. But combat also felt a bit like puzzles because of the certain ways you had to dispatch certain enemies.

I dunno. It's an enigmatic combat system. It worked for what it was but I think it could and should be improved. But I struggle to describe exactly how.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
It was fine but Hellblade wasn't really a combat type game, was just there for variety

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
It was serviceable, but in concert with the narrative it worked pretty well: the bits where Senua went ham, it felt good.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Its not good when evaluating in traditional gameplay values I guess, but it worked well for what the game was trying to do. I just think the game had way too many encounters, would've been a better experience if it was shorter overall for me

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
It was bad imo. Didn't like the way hits sounded or felt. I always wanted the combat segments to end as quick as possible because I wasn't having fun with them. But I don't think it was the point of the game so maybe that's why the focus on making it super engaging might have been low. I do expect it to be much better in the sequel though.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the weakest aspects of the game. A real turn off that had me groaning every time enemies started to appear. It's a game that would have been better without it, just a chore to get through.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
If the game was any longer it would have started to feel really limited and unsatisfying. Luckily it being as short as it was, it did the job. Just.

The visual and audio feedback from striking enemies and being hit yourself was very good however: it didn't have the problem that many other third person hack and slash games have where you feel oddly disconnected from everything.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it a lot especially when I realized you can do near unlimited combos by making every third hit a x/square button press. The puzzles are what annoy me.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i really love it, it does what it has to do

it wouldn't make sense for senua to turn into bayonetta when fighting.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I liked the boss fights, but the combat against the regular enemies was far too simplistic for the amount of it there was. If they'd cut the standard enemy encounters in half, I'd probably have enjoyed Hellblade a lot more.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Basic, but it was decent, things like the parrying felt like they had a bit of weight to it which was nice.

Not sure they're gonna do for the next game, I feel like they will do something similar to god of war (2018) but I'm not sure if something like that is right for Hellblade, time will tell.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. think the combat fitted perfectly for the story/game it was telling.
Crazy combo's wouldnt make sense at all in the game. Yet it focused on claustrophobic combat in terms of camera angle, the way the dodge worked, the directional sound etc.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I didn't enjoy the combat at all in Hellblade, but loved it in NT's previous games. But I think that was down to limitations due do its budget. I hope they go for more of a DmC style of fast combat in Senua's Saga.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Hellblade 2 is directed by DMC combat/boss désigner and is not working on Hellblade 1.

My dream is that Hellblade 2 is semi Open World Soulslike 🙏

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing it over the last couple of days and I agree with most posters...fairly simple, but fine, and worked well within a story-based game.

I like the cinematic style of it (no HUD or recharging shield!), as a change of pace/style, and it helped make her feel part of the world more.

Haven't finished it so I'm not sure how any final bosses will play out.

I'd like the next game to mix it up a bit more, but keep the no-hud no-health style. It's pretty hard to get killed on "auto" difficulty.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Solid enough. I enjoyed it and felt it served the type of game Hellblade was. The team was tiny too, which itself is a damn miracle.

I'm expecting them to expand on it a lot in the sequel. Very excited to see what they can do with a much, much higher budget and larger team.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's fine for what it is. If combat is going to be revamped in the sequel I really hope they don't make it too flashy, it would feel out of place.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Wasn't amazing or bad. It was good enough for me. The use of sound for enemies behind you was really cool though

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Basic, nothing great. I'd imagine the sequel is getting a dramatically improved system.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
I liked it a lot for a non combat focused game. It looked great while letting the player in control. The boss fights were intense.
It did feel a bit repetitive after a while, but I would have only an issue with that if the game had much more combat sections.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thought it was fine and even fun / cathartic in some events. The puzzles were the real weak point of Hellblade.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Absolutele shite. It was utterly boring and it got to the point it was actually hilariously bad when I figured out your could just endlessly roll around the shield dudes (which are supposed to be tough enemies) and hit them while doing so.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It was simple but had some good depth. By the time you get the rhythm down, it's fantastic.
3271572-sharefactory%E2%84%A2_20170808210332_.gif

709BD43B30FF1DA6CF523B420B01B417BD2F9A11

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty dull, kind of annoying. I never felt I really understood it much, just waited for the witch time slow down move and railed on them. Overall it would've been fine if they decreased the number of encounters. It wasn't a fun enough combat system for me to enjoy constantly ending up in some dead end arena where I had to fight a ton of dudes to get out. Half as many of those and its flaws would've been less apparent. Still loved the game though.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty fun, especially when multiple enemies start appearing and you get into the groove of its rhythm. Honestly, they should've made an endless mode or a survival mode for it, even if it wouldn't quite gel with the game's themes.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Very simple, clunky and kinda bad. Makes me worried if they are gonna increase the size of their next game.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I enjoyed the combat but it wasn't the focus of the game, the story and atmosphere really elevated the experience.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
It's actually a lot deeper then it seems, it's just there is no tutorial explaining any of that in-game.

I mean, the problem is that there's no reason to even use the deeper stuff. You can survive pretty well with the basic "dodge, fast attack, heavy attack" and occasional counter.

I really liked the boss fights since it added different dynamics but I was starting to get tired of the fighting by the end of the game.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
I know it doesen't fit super well with this game but I want an arena mode + boss rush for this.

Oct 29, 2017
I found it really frustrating and ultimately put the game down because of it. I was really interested in the story and characterization too.

This would have been the ideal game to have a "Narrative" difficulty setting for people who just want to get combat over with and move on. It's not Dark Souls here. I don't understand why developers do this stuff.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It was a simple, solid combat system, that seemed obviously limited by budget, but once again showed Ninja Theory knows what they are doing. I can't wait to see what the team does now that they likely have a AAA budget.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was horrible. Lack of enemy variety and hit impact really hurt it. Ultimately I got bored with the game extremely quickly due to it. Not sure why I bothered to stick with it through to the end.