• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
iu

After replaying Halo 4 and Halo 5: Guardians (and reading some of the various media supplying those games) for Halo Infinite, one thing that was a real shame is the post-Bungie Halo games failed on adding more solid, well written characters. The Didact in Halo 4 was a big ol' bowling pin for the Master Chief to knock down, returning characters Buck, Kelly, Vale, Linda and Tanaka were done so dirty in Halo 5, & Fireteam Majestic's comic appearances (post-Spartan Ops) are partially a reaction to the Spartan IV's = Frat Boys complaints. In the case for Palmer in Halo 4, she was just... fine.

I feel to be the outlier on this, but I had no issue with Commander Palmer. Yes, she suffered from 'Writer's Pet Character' syndrome, where 343 Industries aggressively pushed her in the likes of Spartan Assault, Initiation, and Escalation that turned fan's already tepid opinion of her into "Please stop shoving this character down my throat." But I never had any issue with her being this assertive, competent commander with shade of brashness. I get it, there are legitimate reasons not to care for Palmer, like her atrocious trigger discipline, her out of nowhere anti-intellectualism, or her willingness to uncritically swallow the party (ONI) line - though the last is just an extension of her lack of introspection, which is an actual character flaw and 343i did address it in Escalation, where she's portrayed as somewhat of a sociopath. Most of her detractors ignore these, and many of those who don't still open with "I tHoUgHt YoU'd Be TaLlEr." or "Egghead, this! Egghead, that!"

Of course, rather than building on her positive and negative character traits, Palmer becomes a piece of set-dressing with no real character to speak of during Halo 5's campaign. I'm hoping that Halo Infinite can touch her up in terms of character development and whatnot, as Jennifer Hale did confirmed that she would be reprising her role in that game.

What about you guys? Convert me into a digital intelligence if old.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
You should read the latest Halo novel, Shadows Of Reach.

Spoilers for that book, pretty much the final act:
She arrives to support Blue Team with hundreds of SPARTANS.

Oct 26, 2017
She was awful in Spartan Ops, just an incredibly rude and condescending person to everyone around her. 343i has no idea how to write Spartans, and she was a textbook case of what not to do.

Also, 343i hasn't had all bad characters. I thought Lasky and Exuberant Witness were solid. Though most of their characters lack the charm of the Bungie era.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Among other things she literally insults a group of marines who are desperate for back up, she is awful and deserves to be forgotten. Like seriously, a marine squad is out numbered, surrounded by aliens that are stronger than them and with more advance technology and they are moments away from being killed and after begging for back up Palmer tells them to grow a pair.

Last edited:

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think most players got very attached to her, I don't think most players got attached to any of the new characters 343i introduced tbh. I didn't mind Palmer and Lasky was probably the best of the bunch, but 3/4's of Fireteam Osiris were complete duds, and they were building up the story of that one Spartan in the Spartan Ops mode (Gabriel I think?) but they totally just dropped his arc in the games.

They were building up that Elite antagonist throughout Spartan Ops as well and then just gets wasted by Locke in the first mission of Halo 5. I feel like they just never gave the new characters much of chance.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
She was disliked by the fanbase, and 343 quickly gave up on her despite the fact that her poor reception was entirely the fault of their horrible writing.

Your first interaction with Palmer in Halo 4's campaign is her being disrespectful to Chief. Then they double down on her horrible condescending rude attitude the rest of the campaign and through Spartan Ops. A mode that most players didn't even play because it was really stale. They made her a prominent character and you could tell they wanted her to be a big player for the future of the franchise, but they totally forgot to actually make her likable and let the audience build a connection with her.

Whatever. 343 has bigger problems to fix then trying to redeem an already forgotten character. Let her and Locke just, fade away.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She was disliked by the fanbase, and 343 quickly gave up on her despite the fact that her poor reception was entirely the fault of their horrible writing.

Your first interaction with Palmer in Halo 4's campaign is her being disrespectful to Chief. Then they double down on her horrible condescending rude attitude the rest of the campaign and through Spartan Ops. A mode that most players didn't even play because it was really stale. They made her a prominent character and you could tell they wanted her to be a big player for the future of the franchise, but they totally forgot to actually make her likable and let the audience build a connection with her.

Whatever. 343 has bigger problems to fix then trying to redeem an already forgotten character. Let her and Locke just, fade away.
Yep.

If their plan was to set her up as a likeable character they utterly failed.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I replayed Halo 4 and 5 recently and other than Locke completely forgot about all the characters till I played them again.

I was like "oh right, that guy who was a kid in that mini-series for Youtube they made" and "oh right, that angry Spartan that yells in my mic all the time".

All the characters introduced in 4 and 5 are *very* forgettable. The OG series had loads of memorable plots.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
She was awful in Spartan Ops, just an incredibly rude and condescending person to everyone around her. 343i has no idea how to write Spartans, and she was a textbook case of what not to do.

Also, 343i hasn't had all bad characters. I thought Lasky and Exuberant Witness were solid. Though most of their characters lack the charm of the Bungie era.
Yeah... I genuinely like Lasky and Exuberant, but this is something where they need to step up their game.

I'm also nearing the end of the Shadows of Reach book, so not clicking on that spoiler up there until then!