• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
If the devs need more time to try and get the most out of the game then they should take it, it's not that big a deal to me. It's not like there isn't a ton of other stuff to play in the meantime.

I understand less the people who get furious over the delays, and then use it as an opportunity to show what kind of ass clowns they really are.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Let it go
Let it go
Your backlog is bigger than steam's
Let it go
Let it go
It's really not as bad as it seems

I don't care
If there will be more delays
Let'em finish their games

Animal crossing's gonna save March anyway.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm all for delays if it's to polish the games as I want games to release finished. This spring was too much of a log jam for me anyway so on a personal level I'm kind of glad things got pushed back a bit as some games would have probably gotten lost in the shuffle for me.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Also all the games that make up the first part of 2020 that were delayed from 2019, namely Doom and Animal Crossing

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten to the point I just don't listen to release dates. As others have said, announce the date when the game is gold, that may prove a more successful option after setting a time frame.

But all of these recent delays does allow for more time with Animal Crossing now, so it's not all so bad.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Why would they if they also can take your money twice
They're not going to charge for the next gen patch. Doesn't make sense.

Also, because Xbox games are all cross gen I can't imagine Microsoft confusing their messaging by charging you more if you decide to play it on your Series X after owning it for your One X.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I don't mind delays. In an ideal world, devs would release games when they are actually ready without pressure from the publisher and others wanting their money.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
They're not going to charge for the next gen patch. Doesn't make sense.

Also, because Xbox games are all cross gen I can't imagine Microsoft confusing their messaging by charging you more if you decide to play it on your Series X after owning it for your One X.
Of course it makes sense. A next gen patch costs time and money. Would you divert precious staff members from another project to develop a patch for free? I can see big 1st party games having free patches and MS/ Sony swallowing the costs, but smaller independent devs may offer next gen patches such, as lets say borderlands 2 did with the "uhd" texture pack, for a small fee.

My guess is next gen we will have:

next gen systems playing current gen via BC with internal brute force improvement (stable frame rates, Higher res when dynamic etc)

current gen games patched for next gen (free first party studios, small fee for upgrade patch from some 3rd Party devs)

full paid (although not full price) remasters of of current gen for next.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much a nice surprise these days when a game actually releases on it's scheduled date. Just assume any announced game with a date is going to be delayed.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
The only delay that substantively affected me was BotW. I bought a Wii u for it and I didn't even need to in the end. But that was on me, not Nintendo.

A game comes out when it comes out. If it was delayed, I mean it's not like it was possible for it to come out early anyway.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I understand how difficult and hard game developments is so I have no problem with what the devs see fit. At the ned if the game is good I'll buy it otherwise I'll not. No cpmplaints

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
I'm cool with it. I was planning on waiting on PS5 releases for Cyberpunk, Legion, and Gods & Monsters anyway. As for FF7 Remake, I think I'm just going to wait on a complete collection for that. Though who knows how long that will be.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
On a personal level, I'm getting married at the end of the year, so these delays are saving me from myself.

I'll be really interested to see if a good few of these are cross gen due to all of this though, it still feels like we're so far away from the release of the next boxes considering how quiet Sony are.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
TLOU2 and Cyberpunk are the only ones I'm really interested in. As long as the games turn out better, it's fine with me

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's to the point now where if you give me a date 6+ months out, I have zero faith you'll release on schedule. It's fine, since I'm patient, but it's like cmon...

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Of course it makes sense. A next gen patch costs time and money. Would you divert precious staff members from another project to develop a patch for free? I can see big 1st party games having free patches and MS/ Sony swallowing the costs, but smaller independent devs may offer next gen patches such, as lets say borderlands 2 did with the "uhd" texture pack, for a small fee.

My guess is next gen we will have:

next gen systems playing current gen via BC with internal brute force improvement (stable frame rates, Higher res when dynamic etc)

current gen games patched for next gen (free first party studios, small fee for upgrade patch from some 3rd Party devs)

full paid (although not full price) remasters of of current gen for next.
What about cross gen games like Cyberpunk though?

You're saying I have to make sure I buy the Series X version of the game to get the next gen graphics/capabilities on my Xbox? Or do I buy the Xbox version and then have to purchase a Series X patch separately?

My One X can play the game in 4K HDR, but if I want better 4K I have to pay extra or buy a different sku? Or I can just continue to run the Xbox One X version on my Series X.

Going to be confusing AF if this is the case- especially if Microsoft is marketing that everything is cross gen in their ecosystem.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would you divert precious staff members from another project to develop a patch for free?

Absolutely, because I have planned single-player paid DLC...and more importantly I have a potential GaaS model for this product that needs to sustain itself with some form of recurring revenue for multiple years, and the ecosystem needs to be as large as possible to make that a success.

mattypacker

Oct 29, 2017
Bristol UK
My theory is that during development the dates for all these games were made to be Q1 this year by publishers etc, to get out before talk of next gen really kicked into gear. And then sell game of the year versions on next gen.

It was complete pie in the sky stuff and now it's just a race against time to get them out before next gen. Either that or publishers are happy with the backwards compatibility of next gen so are fine selling them so close to launch of the new consoles as they'll still be viable and will still sell.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Honestly, the game I care about the most is Bloodlines 2. On one hand, I'm bummed out about the delay, because I really want to play it already, but on the other hand, I also want it to be the best game it can be, and if they need the extra time for that, they should absolutely take it.

The rest, well, I'm not very invested in whether those games are good. So I'll just bitch about the delays with everyone else.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I think for the moment yes but then look at fall 2020 and I think its going to be more crammed then the initial begining of this year.

First world problems and all but this scenario will definitely be annoying, yeah those games aren't going anywhere backlogs are a thing etc but I'd still prefer not having like a dozen cool looking AAA games crammed into Q3/4 but maybe that's an inevitability anyway with the next gen launches. I'll probably still end up doing what I did this past holiday and buy like 2-3 of them at full price while waiting on discounts for the rest and enjoying whatever's on Game Pass, which will probably be a lot what with the Series X launch.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I really have no problem with these delays. With so many great games accessible on multiple platforms, now more than ever before, the desire for the next game isnt what it used to be.

Back then if a game was delayed then all hell break loose. Now it's no biggie

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Q1 & Q2 2020 are now basically Q4 2020. You know when them new shiny boxes are due to hit. So basically dont preorder anything for now. Save your money and wait. Santa will bring dem goodies, dont worry. Your welcome.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
On one hand i'm happy because i hate rushed games.

On the other hand i didn't wait for the nvidia 3000 series and i bought a 2070super to play decently all these delayed pc games, so right now i'm half pissed off and half happy (with a slight advantage to the pissy thing).

I was okay with cyberpunk delay, but not dying light 2 too...

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Don't mind at all.
As i grow older i have less time to play and more titles than ever, so i'm not pulling my hair off if i have to wait some more for something, especially if the wait is for the better.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I've gotten older, I'm understanding that game development is not a linear equation. It's not a river that flows in one direction. It's an ocean in a storm that has a lot of elements to conquer. It's very, very difficult to make a great game, requiring a lot of work that even the best planners can't see coming.

at the end of the day tho, what matters is the game. nobody is gonna remember the delays, but hopefully they're gonna remember the game. If delaying Doom Eternal four months makes it GOTY contender status, then it was worth the wait.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man back when game delays were the biggest worry we had. Feel like travelling back in time to have a vague yet knowing conversation with January me.

I think this year turned out well despite a few good games slipping into 2021. man I was really looking forward to Guilty Gear.