• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
Really surprised to see so many people trashing the show because some shitty person was in the audience. If they were involved in the production, sure. But just because they attended? Seems like an overreaction.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
This further proves my point, sorry...wow, a tweet calling him friend
Inviting him to an award show is not endorsing his ideas in any way... that's comical
The fuck do you think Boogies fans do when they see those? We all know why he's doing it. Because interacting with big Youtubers brings more views. He's promoting his event.

It is incredibly easy to do so without going out of your way to use shitty (and that's an understatement) people for that. Instead he promotes his event with a guy who thinks the holocaust wasnt all bad to get his alt right viewers.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I will never get the level of adulation on this board for TGA. These types of awards shows are all fucked up to begin with - Oscars, Grammies, Golden Globes - and to actively want one of these for this medium is puzzling. They reflect what is wrong with those media types, not what is right. I get the sense some on this board feel its a form of validation to have our own glitzy awards show, but in a medium that is already choking on marketing, it's the last thing we should be actively seeking out.

I also don't get the adulation of Geoff whose credibility has been very reasonably questioned over the years, including decisions he was called out for this year, and yet people are still like Man Geoff is just fucking great, isn't he. It's actually kind of remarkable.

I realize this is not going to be a popular opinion either.

But really, GDCA are the awards we should be highlighting, that is truly your peers recognizing you.This is a big distraction designed with marketing in mind.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Supporting the show is supporting Geoff, and he was happy to publicly acknowledge him being there.

Aknowledging he was there or inviting him to the show is not endorsing his views in any way. Is like pretending the Oscars shouldn't nominate or even invite people like Mel Gibson or Clint Eastwood to the awards

You have to understand the difference, that exists and it's real

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck do you think Boogies fans do when they see those? We all know why he's doing it. Because interacting with big Youtubers brings more views. He's promoting his event.

It is incredibly easy to do so without going out of your way to use shitty (and that's an understatement) people for that. Instead he promotes his event with a guy who thinks the holocaust wasnt all bad to get his alt right viewers.

Alright, what promotion are you talking about?

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
Is it so much to ask that they cut maybe one of the advertisements to play a few seconds of footage for the nominees, instead of impatiently rattling them off?

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
First off, it was a great show, probably the best so far. Somehow there is this realm that video gaming exists in right now, where it is not completely immature, and yet, has not reached that level of medium recognition where it is considered some sort of "pedestal" art. Maybe that is just the nature of gaming; that it doesn't have to go through this process of decadence that other art forms such as film, music, or literature, where everything suddenly becomes really high-brow and the joy is less in innovation than it is in re-affirming the past.

So I'm glad that at least as of now, the Video Game Awards can still see what all gamers know, which is that we are going to go where it's good to game.

This. I got my 69 year old dad to watch this with me and we were both talking about how amazing the production value was and how it looked like the Oscars or Emmys (he doesnt like games...like, at all. Except he did chime in that Arthur Morgans VA was a clinch for best voice acting).....and then the fucking furry dude came out and that shit was just embarrassing.

Well, as also an "older gamer" at almost 41 years of age, I want to respond and say that I didn't find that furry dude embarrassing at all. Okay, let me correct that. At first I was kind of rolling my eyes, but then I realized who this person was and what they were saying. He was basically saying that all he's interested in is beating people up (heh, okay, maybe just "beating people"). Upon reflection, to me this is basically the essence of who we are largely. We all want to see where we can escape to if the chains of our condition could be released.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Great show and terrific job Keighley. I'm so glad someone is putting on events of this nature.

Oct 27, 2017
It's getting better, but after watching it I still feel like I wasted my time. It feels like it's just in a different place related to gaming than I am. I'd much rather just watch the trailers afterwards, and I wish I would have done that this time.

Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
It's getting better every year; this was the best yet.

My only gripe was the few times where Geoff rifled off a bunch of award nominations and winners without seemingly taking a breath.

I understand the show can't go on forever but those felt extremely lacklustre just being a list of titles compared to the well produced stage presence awards.

Again well done Geoff, can't wait till next year.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
I rather see actual people get awards instead of a list, a winner and then advertisement for WORLD PREMIER of a video with no game play or idea what it is.

It was ok. I wouldn't say I was better off for watching it. Improvements can be made and I hope we can see more actual people in the future.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I'm glad we have something that can celebrate games without being cynical or ironic. It may be a 3 hour commercial, but it was a finely done one. Thank you Keighley.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
They shouldn't. This is just a lazy whataboutism.

Is not, is just your easy rebuttal.

Cory also aknowledge Boogie on tweeter, does that make him suspect as well?

You can say yes and go deeper into the rabbit hole, you can just ignore it because it doesn't fit your narrative or you can realize that a polite tweet or an invitation to an award show doesn't mean you endorse any of that person's ideas.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I think the event is incredibly tacky and the awards themselves barely hold any screentime. The thing has become a mini-E3, not a celebration of the medium's accomplishments.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Oh okay, that really was what you were talking about

I thought I missed something extra but you're really just using his reply, Geoff didn't even make his own tweet. yikes
Yikes indeed. You would think it would be extremely easy for a host of such an event to double check who he publicly invites to his event. Instead he tells somebody with nazist views that he looks forward having him at his event. What does that say about his event? (And make no mistake, he absolutely knows who Boogie is, there was nothing to double check.)

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
I will never get the level of adulation on this board for TGA. These types of awards shows are all fucked up to begin with - Oscars, Grammies, Golden Globes - and to actively want one of these for this medium is puzzling. They reflect what is wrong with those media types, not what is right. I get the sense some on this board feel its a form of validation to have our own glitzy awards show, but in a medium that is already choking on marketing, it's the last thing we should be actively seeking out.

I also don't get the adulation of Geoff who has given people every reason to question his credibility over the years, including decisions he was called out for this year, and yet people are still like Man Geoff is just fucking great, isn't he. It's actually kind of remarkable.

I realize this is not going to be a popular opinion either.

But really, GDCA are the awards we should be highlighting, that is truly your peers recognizing you.This is a big distraction designed with marketing in mind.

tAgBSSo_d.jpg

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I have a lot of respect for Geoff Keighley. Even though I had to stay up till 6 in the morning it was well worth it.

It's really impressive how far this show has gotten. Thanks for this great night!

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you really surprised? This is ERA after all
It doesn't even seem genuine, just seems like a rush for a pat on the back for being bastions of good.
Really surprised to see so many people trashing the show because some shitty person was in the audience. If they were involved in the production, sure. But just because they attended? Seems like an overreaction.
What seems comically is how many people are willing to overlook and say it doesn't matter he was invited and that the reward show is okay for having people like him in attendance. It looks like because you and others like the award show that anyone bothered by the support boogie received should just shut up and be okay with it.

I agree, it's why this deserves to be called out.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think they should start the awards at a specific time, and not when they feel like it between 730 and 8 pm central.

Around 7 28, he said on periscope live on twitter that the show starts in 20 minutes from that point, then 10 minutes later he starts with a count down and they start doing reveals anyway and awards.

Just tell folks to tune in at a specific time, seat ppl before that and not during the intro 15 minutes. And start the show flat at that time.

Aside from that, despite the ads and probably necessary vape stuff..they did a great job

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, one other thing.

I do wish that if they're going to do a content creator award, they'd nominate folks don't just play games. Folks like My Life In Gaming, John for DF Retro, or Clint over at Lazy Game Reviews.

Those folks, and many others like them, really put in the work, and put out well made videos that not only are entertaining, but also very informative. They deserve to be recognized more for their work.

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
It was my first time watching. I enjoyed it. I do think it ran a little long though. I wish winners had more time for an acceptance speech as well. Other than that, I thought it was pretty good. Will tune in next year.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
What seems comically is how many people are willing to overlook and say it doesn't matter he was invited and that the reward show is okay for having people like him in attendance. It looks like because you and others like the award show that anyone bothered by the support boogie received should just shut up and be okay with it.
I really dont understand why this gets so much pushback. It's not hard to solve. There have been made great efforts this year in diversity like for example showing young developers from Uganda and other places. Not making extremely questionable people that go against that part of your PR seems like an obvious and simple thing to do.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really dont understand why this gets so much pushback. It's not hard to solve. There have been made great efforts this year in diversity like for example showing young developers from Uganda and other places. Not making extremely questionable people that go against that part of your PR seems like an obvious and simple thing to do.
That's what I would think as well. It's very easy to solve and the show would be vastly better for it.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping for a few more big name reveals, but that's just me being selfish. Good show overall, feels like it is constantly getting better.

I think next steps are upping the dress code and fewer ads/commercials. Don't know how feasible that last one is.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Aknowledging he was there or inviting him to the show is not endorsing his views in any way. Is like pretending the Oscars shouldn't nominate or even invite people like Mel Gibson or Clint Eastwood to the awards

You have to understand the difference, that exists and it's real

If you're being pedantic, sure.

Realistically, it may as well be. Support of a person by giving them exposure is supporting their views via said exposure. This is why companies distance themselves from problematic people all the time, and release statements such as "their views don't in any way..." and so on.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
But is everyone going to skip the Oscar's because of Bruce Willis or Clint Eastwood? Stop his EZA support because Kyle Bosman works for the gameawards? Stop watching the MTV awards because of some artists that attends?

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC
Thanks for the feedback guys! Will read more in-depth soon!

That was amazing Geoff! Thank YOU for doing what you did and it means a lot to us!

If there's one thing to pick on -- it's the allotted time you give people for their speeches ("Please wrap it up" lol) It did feel a bit short and rushed, especially with Cory Balrog and the rest of the team winning GOTY. It would have been nice to hear more from them, or maybe do the Oscars method where you give them a countdown and start playing music when the timer runs out.

But other than that, amazing, amazing job. Looking forward to it next year!!

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Rushing the winners speeches rubbed me the wrong way. WRAP IT UP...so we can run another Smash Brothers ad for the 5th time, run two PUBG ads in a row, talk about a Fortnite update, and let Ninja have some back and forth with a muppet.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada

I agree, it's why this deserves to be called out.

He was invited because he's still a big name in the gaming community. It's not that hard to figure out.

Like I said before I don't care if people feel like boycotting the show because he may have been in the audience. If he's that upsetting to you I get it. However I'm not gonna blame Geoff for giving him a one sentence welcome for coming to his show. He's not promoting any of boogies views or giving him a platform. He's saying hello.

It would be different if he was inviting him to give one of the awards or make a speech or something but he wasn't. Boogie was sitting in the audience with a thousand other people and I can guarantee you there were worse people than boogie there that you don't know about. Just like at every awards show ever.

Boogie is trash, I'm not gonna argue that point, but I'm not gonna consider anyone who even slightly associates with him trash too. That's completely reductionistic and absurd

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Rushing the winners speeches rubbed me the wrong way. WRAP IT UP...so we can run another Smash Brothers ad for the 5th time, run two PUBG ads in a row, talk about a Fortnite update, and let Ninja have some back and forth with a muppet.

I think you have to draw a line at some point. The Oscar's got lots of criticism because of the long thank you speeches

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
If you're being pedantic, sure.

Realistically, it may as well be. Support of a person by giving them exposure is supporting their views via said exposure. This is why companies distance themselves from problematic people all the time, and release statements such as "their views don't in any way..." and so on.

He didn't appear on the awards or the stream at any point.

Furthermore, the thread on Era that was talking specifically about Boogie going to the awards was shut down my moderation to not give Boogie a platform here, but the boogie critics keep bringing it up on all the tga threads, hence going againts moderation wishes and talkimg about boogie non-stop.

So I wonder wha are they achieving by this.

And againg, working with someone as a partnership, or as a paid contractor or paid endorsement etc is not the same as inviting someone to a show.

I repeat again, that doesn't mean any kind of endorsement on his views.

Or to make it more clear, any of you think Geoff is endorsing any, or all, of Boogies views (or any, or all of the views of any, or all of the attendants to the ceremony) by inviting him/them to the ceremony?

Just think about it