• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Boy I hope they don't back down from the durability mechanic because people want to repair weapons for some reason.
The main reasons being that many of the weapons have uses outside of combat, such as: keeping you warm/cold, allowing you to fish, shield-surfing, raft propulsion, etc.

I found that 90% of my inventory was filled with utility weapons that I had to keep on top of if I wanted to experience the game at its best. I'd always end up with a single claymore as my combat-focused weapon that would break after a few swings so I'd have to pick up some shitty club off an enemy.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
So many aspects of BOTW remind me a cake decorator spending hours baking a cake only for it to get demolished in seconds. At least with a cake, the consumer gets some sort of satisfaction.
Or maybe it's like a cake that you cut into eight slices and eat all eight slices it's gone. Because that's how food works. And while you're bummed out that your cake is now gone, the cake decorator shows up out of the blue and asks if you have room in your stomach (inventory) for three more cakes.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Also not true. The game will constantly, and I mean constantly give you better weapons the more you fight and the more you venture out. I found myself with so many high tier weapons that I was sometimes deciding between undamaged high-tier elemental weapons for which one I would hurl off the top of a mountain to make room for the new hotness.
You will eventually run into better weapons but there is also the chance you will frequently run into worse, even if it not numbers wise but rather the less interesting weapons such as higher numbered basic weapons.

Iirc they were 2 handed swords but i dont remember if that was the effective damage with +3 attack buffs or not. Late game weapoms can spawn with some extra perks like durability+ or attack+ so they get pretty strong.

The game does not mention the counter thing, that was data mined. I guess the devs assume if you are going to explore then you are going to run into combat situations so it should net you better weapons in the long run.
A lot of the exploration doesn't actually lend well to engaging in combat outside of the player choosing to experiment with the games physics and AI.

If weapons didn't break there'd be even less of a reason to fight mobs, because there aren't enough meaningful rewards in the game to fill a huge open world. This isn't an RPG so there's no experience, so you have to think of another stream of rewards that are integral to the game. Hence: weapons.

That's not so much a defence of the system, as an explanation.
The solution is to make loot actually matter, barely anything in a chest is worth a shit, the disposable nature of things just makes it worse.

It doesn't even need to be unbreakable weapons, just less fragility, better balanced.
Hopefully BOTW2 goes over a lot of the balancing as a whole and tweaks it because it is frankly poor across the board.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
these are some pretty beautiful designs, hoping for more in BOTW2 :)

aaaannnnd i really hope we can get BOTW threads without the weapon breaking whining

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
My wife's equipment is like this, with near wall to wall lynel gear!

The game is very clever in how it does things. Early game, it forces you into encounters to keep your inventory refreshed BUT it also ensures you are careful about how you approach encounters. Can I stealth them? Can I blow them up perhaps? Can I steal all their weapons first?

As you progress, you basically become a walking armoury with multiples of many higher damage and durability weapons that it becomes more about your fighting capability against the higher tiers of the monster varieties. The black and white mobs.

The only weapons that are rare are the champions gear, all of which are repairable. Plus the ancient gear, which is purchasable. So you pretty much have it there. If you *really* care about how unique your weapon is and how lovely it looks, put one on the wall in your house and take the rest with you.

This may be true, but I found the constant switching and inventory management early in the game to be so tiresome I just gave up.

I also find it somewhat frustrating when people act, as has been seen in this thread, as if everyone enjoys games for the exact same reasons as they do. Enjoyment is completely subjective. I have no issue with people that loved the game or even those, who have been seen in this thread, that have really enjoyed the durability mechanic. Fair play to you, you got some real enjoyment out of the game. Just don't tell me that I can't feel that the game was much less enjoyable because of it. Different people like different things.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The solution is to make loot actually matter, barely anything in a chest is worth a shit, the disposable nature of things just makes it worse.

It doesn't even need to be unbreakable weapons, just less fragility, better balanced.
Hopefully BOTW2 goes over a lot of the balancing as a whole and tweaks it because it is frankly poor across the board.
Exactly, but what loot could you have that actually matters in the game? The world is far too massive to fill with encampments that each give meaningful rewards. that's compounded by the fact that the core of this game is simple. Stats are simple so that limits how many gear sets you could design. There's little room for abilities to be expanded upon. So the solution they came upon was have weapons become durable. I hate it but the alternative would be to completely redesign the core of the game, or make it an RPG.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
You will eventually run into better weapons but there is also the chance you will frequently run into worse, even if it not numbers wise but rather the less interesting weapons such as higher numbered basic weapons.
Again, this doesn't align with reality. It's just factually incorrect.

A lot of the exploration doesn't actually lend well to engaging in combat outside of the player choosing to experiment with the games physics and AI.
Also made up. The game will draw the player towards higher areas of terrain and once there, encampments, landmarks, large enemies, islands, and shrines become more visible. Exploration absolutely lends well to engaging in combat. They go hand in hand. It's the game's core design.

So for loot to matter to you, it needs permanence?

Across the board - define that. Also, since you seem to have a strong opinion about the facts of the game, let's hear your pitch for balances and tweaks.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Those four blades swords at the end of the first chunk of weapons where or what drops them? I played through the entirety of the game and don't recognize them.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The main reasons being that many of the weapons have uses outside of combat, such as: keeping you warm/cold, allowing you to fish, shield-surfing, raft propulsion, etc.

I found that 90% of my inventory was filled with utility weapons that I had to keep on top of if I wanted to experience the game at its best. I'd always end up with a single claymore as my combat-focused weapon that would break after a few swings so I'd have to pick up some shitty club off an enemy.

Sounds like you arent using your arrows or bombs enough. And before you mention lynels they have a special battle only command that lets you wail on it without any weapon damage. You save your best stuff for moments like that

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Breakable weapons are up there with forced slow walking/limping for things I hate the most. Neither are fun and don't add anything at all to the gameplay.
No, that's not the same.
The way breakable weapons work in BOTW has actual good reasoning.
Durability systems for weapons/gear which you can just repair though, I agree. That's just there for the sake of realism and adds nothing to the experience

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
They all looked so beautiful yet fragile that I ended up sticking to my trusty wooden stick and only swap out these proper well designed weapon when I came across one with higher number. ;/

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

No it's not - it matches my playthough. I often found worse weapons, after fighting enemies to get to a chest, than what I had used to defeat the enemies (and found elsewhere).

Once you start getting high/rare weapons, if you engage in random mob fights and the small enclaves everywhere you'll end up worse off. If you go for the big set piece areas (like the building maze) or combat shrines, then you *might* get an upgrade, you'll probably get something similar to what you used and there's a chance you get something worse.

Also made up. The game will draw the player towards higher areas of terrain and once there, encampments, landmarks, large enemies, islands, and shrines become more visible. Exploration absolutely lends well to engaging in combat. They go hand in hand. It's the game's core design.

It's not made up in a lot of cases. Sure, "big" exploration like going up a mountain or whatever will help you find the next big set piece and you might get better loot there...and will certainly progress the main mission. Small exploration (like investigating random bandit camps, poking around in a cave) can often lead to fights that are pointless, you'll waste time/energy fighting some random mobs, lose a weapon, and get nothing worthwhile back...for a net loss overall.

If you want to progress through the main mission, then you have to pick/choose your exploration carefully.

Not for most people, no...it DOES need to last long enough for you to use it to get even better loot....that's how 99+% of loot games (with increasing numbers and/or functionality) works.

Across the board - define that. Also, since you seem to have a strong opinion about the facts of the game, let's hear your pitch for balances and tweaks.

I would treble the life of most weapons, so that one weapon can take out 4 to 5 small enemy encampments. If the design goal is to get players to use lots of different weapons, then keep some durability....but also make sure the new weapon they get is equivalent to the one they're losing (in some way - damage output or versatility or whatever).

I would also make the starting inventory bigger, and the weapon switching buttons/menu much less shitty.

God speed to everyone that liked the durability mechanic, personally I really disliked it but I can see why/how some people loved it!

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, but what loot could you have that actually matters in the game? The world is far too massive to fill with encampments that each give meaningful rewards. that's compounded by the fact that the core of this game is simple. Stats are simple so that limits how many gear sets you could design. There's little room for abilities to be expanded upon. So the solution they came upon was have weapons become durable. I hate it but the alternative would be to completely redesign the core of the game, or make it an RPG.
They already did a decent job of placing items in good spots, it's just that those items turn out to be disposable and actually more basic than it lets on, that can be changed without entirely redesigning the game.
You can have weapons be durable and still not as brittle, and if you are going to have them so brittle, the solution would be to go hard with survival stuff.
It'd actually give the system more purpose and fit better.

Visibility is what happens through exploration yes, that is what exploration is. But it doesn't actually pull you towards them effectively, it's more just there if you want to engage with it.

That's not what I said, permanence helps with regards to weapons but more importantly it's the actual rate.
No... no that doesn't mean suddenly consumable items don't matter in games, but nice try.

Across the weapon system, damage system, cooking system, buff system, weather system, etc. The balance is all pretty poor if not terrible.
Wow you okay there bud?

If you really want me to go in on each of the things that need balancing and tweaking then I'll do it in a fresh post.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
Related, i really really hope for an enciclopedia ingame with actual artwork for everything, not shitty low res pictures selfmade
Not amazing. The word you are looking for is "anti-consumer." The reason you haven't seen some of them is because they are locked behind the stupid physical microtransactions also known as amiibo.

We were all okay with it though because it wasn't EA or Ubisoft. It was Nintendo so it was totally cool to do stuff like this....
Insert Lanky Kong trombone music

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
Hard to believe such intricate weapons can be made out of balsa and crepe paper...

Jokes aside, there are some damn fine looking weapons in BotW.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
*sigh* three years of this shit...

BOTW is not an RPG.. Weapons are ammunition not gear.. Do you really think shooters would be better with infinite ammo?

Please, for the love of Hylia, stop confusing your wish for the same RPG dopamine hit and permanent incremental increase to your power from drops THAT ISN'T IN THIS GAME with any valid criticism for the game's design.

Fair enough you didn't enjoy the game because an intended mechanic didn't jive with you well but lay off with conflating that with objective criticism.. It's really not a conversation that's ever going to go anywhere interesting.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019

BOTW is not an RPG.. Weapons are ammunition not gear.. Do you really think shooters would be better with infinite ammo?

Please, for the love of Hylia, stop confusing your wish for the same RPG dopamine hit and permanent incremental increase to your power from drops THAT ISN'T IN THIS GAME with any valid criticism for the game's design.

Fair enough you didn't enjoy the game because an intended mechanic didn't jive with you well but lay off with conflating that with objective criticism.. It's really not a conversation that's ever going to go anywhere interesting.
Co-signed. It's all too common for people to label a game design or gameplay element as "poorly designed" when the option is there for them to admit that while it's well-designed, it's not what they were looking for when playing the game.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Its interesting that some players are seemingly unable to overcome their attachment to their weapons in a game where weapons are really easy to come by - essentially a disposable commodity. From a game design perspective, disposable weapons makes a lot of sense for BOTW, just like disposable potions/items in most rpgs.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much this. It seems the problem is that people are so used to a mechanic that is the absolute norm that they are frustrated because one game does it differently. BOTW is not about permanently expanding your arsenal. If that's what you want, there is a myriad of other games for you to get your dopamine kicks from.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The game rewards people that get in combat often, the internal enemy death counter is what determines what kind of weapons spawn. Thats why there are people running around with 120+ attack with durability+ that refuse to break and there are others that have a 25 atk weapon and never get anything stronger, the ones that clear camps often get the better weapons.

Honestly found the opposite case was true. When you kill more enemies, the weapons get better, but the enemies get stronger as well, most of the becoming health sponges more than anything, and some of the weaker weapons don't even flinch enemies now. The two essentially cancel each-other out. However, the overworld interaction stuff doesn't scale alongside the buffed enemies, so the actual fun parts of the combat of using the surrounding world to your advantage gets de-emphasized and less helpful the longer you play. Forcing you into the more boring hand to hand combat full of health sponge enemies.

Breath of the Wild is one of the few games where the combat get's worse the more of the game you play.

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone witters on about the freedom in BoTW, how amazing it is to choose your own playstyle, how free they feel, how great - and it probably is, except when it comes to the weapons and the combat. Love this particular weapon? Enjoying hitting things with it? Maybe it just looks awesome, some of the weapons in the OP are lovely. But tough shit, use it and you'll lose it. Want to play entirely using only a specific weapon because that's how you choose to play this game that gives you so much player choice? Tough shit, it'll break shortly and you'll be forced to use this Bokoblin club.

Genuinely one of the worst things about the game, legitimately killed the fun for me, made all exploration and weapon loot inconsequential. I don't mind durability mechanics if they're not too intrusive, but BoTW had some of the most egregious 'suck the fun from the combat' implementations I've ever played.

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
Weapon durability was such an elegant solution to the problem of balancing the difficulty of encounters across an open world, that the vast majority of players don't realise that's why it exists.

If weapons didn't break, the game would have been rightly criticized for many of the enemy encounters becoming trivial once you found a powerful weapon.

If you could go somewhere to repair weapons, then you would have exactly the same problem, with the added annoyance of having to travel back and forth to a blacksmith every half hour.

The system is absolutely integral to the basic premise of being able to go anywhere at anytime, which is the core of BotWs design.

All the other open world games I've played pretend that you are free to go where you want, but actually require you to do things in a restricted order due to the difficulty of enemy encounters. If you go somewhere sooner than you're supposed to, you either die, or force your way through a big difficulty spike. If you go somewhere later than you are supposed to, enemy encounters will present so little difficulty they are pointless. It's like developers thought that it would be cool explore a large open world, without recognizing that game mechanics designed for linear adventures would have to be changed. This problem is usually mitigated (but never solved) in a few ways:

1- Enemy difficulty scales with character level.
2- Enemy difficulty scales with distance from character start position.
3- Enemy difficulty scales with story progress, often this only applies to specific enemy encounters.

See if you can spot which crutch your next open world game is leaning on, and whether you really can go anywhere, anytime, whilst still having a balanced series of encounters.

Last edited:

Gardios

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Hot take: I wish the weapons in BoTW broke faster. By the time I was in the mid-game I was getting so many high durability weapons/weapons with durability+ modifiers most of time post-fights was spent trying to see which dropped weapons were at least slightly better than what I already had since everything I had was maintaining through multiple encounters unlike the early game which made those fights more dynamic and interesting.

Personally, I'm just really not a fan of durability systems that are either inconsequential or so easily circumvented that they may as well not exist such as Diablo 3 or Fire Emblem Three Houses. At that point, why even bother? If you're going to include durability systems, make them something that the player is forced to deal with and take into consideration as they play. Monster Hunter, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, and hell, even Nero's Devil Breakers in Devil May Cry do this well, to use non-BoTW examples.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Man I love the art direction of this game, and I hope you can't just repair weapons willy nilly in the sequel. Undermines the whole point. Sorry to say but some of y'all just played the game wrong. Use your damn weapons, you'll get new ones almost immediately and I don't want to hear some bullshit about the weapons you do find being soooo much worse than what you had. Besides chests Its all scaled to your progression through the game. Use the games systems.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
It completely robbed any excitement of finding new weapons (and going off the beaten path in hopes of finding one) because it would just become worthless junk the next time you used it.
🤷 kind of the opposite from my perspective. If the first set of royal or lynel weapons you found lasted forever, then 95% of the weapons you found after that would have absolutely zero value.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I love the breakable weapon system in BOTW. Repairing weapons and shit is not fun. Why should I waste time repairing equipment? It's just dumb tedious bullshit and I would prefer if it just never broke if the system in place is a time waste.

In BOTW the stuff just breaks so instead of weapons being something that you just use the strongest most efficient one always you use stuff as you go. In the early game you search around and scavenge for stuff to get by and that by nature makes encounters more creative. By the mid game you are swimming in weapons and so what you want to take is much more about preference or the task you are going to tackle. That's good design imo.

What the BOTW sequel needs imo is expanded movesets, more unique weapon properties and way way way more enemy types and variety. Stuff like boomerangs, elemental weapons, the wind sword that had a little wind blade shoot out and the long swords with the heavy slash charge. I want way more of that stuff. Make me really care about what I'm taking.

Having more Lynel level enemies would also be great. Iron Knucles and completely new types too just to up the danger.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently giving BotW a second try after getting fed up with the weapon durability and quitting the first time. It bothers me less this time around, but not much less.

I don't think that the fact that weapons degrade is the actual problem I have with it. It's the speed at which they degrade. This game would be so much more enjoyable for me if it took like 4 or 5 times longer for a weapon to brake.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Limited durability meant that every single weapon you found could have some value, even if you already had a stronger one.

Yeah, except for me it meant I hoarded good ones for those big fights when I'd really need them and then never actually bothered to use them. Just like all those candies in Sekiro. You give me limited resources, I'll hoard them until that fight where I really, really need them and they'll still be sitting in my inventory when the credits roll... *sigh*

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, except for me it meant I hoarded good ones for those big fights when I'd really need them and then never actually bothered to use them. Just like all those candies in Sekiro. You give me limited resources, I'll hoard them until that fight where I really, really need them and they'll still be sitting in my inventory when the credits roll... *sigh*

I feel like so many games with limited resources fall into that trap.

Deleted member 52755

Jan 28, 2019
Everyone witters on about the freedom in BoTW, how amazing it is to choose your own playstyle, how free they feel, how great - and it probably is, except when it comes to the weapons and the combat. Love this particular weapon? Enjoying hitting things with it? Maybe it just looks awesome, some of the weapons in the OP are lovely. But tough shit, use it and you'll lose it. Want to play entirely using only a specific weapon because that's how you choose to play this game that gives you so much player choice? Tough shit, it'll break shortly and you'll be forced to use this Bokoblin club.

Genuinely one of the worst things about the game, legitimately killed the fun for me, made all exploration and weapon loot inconsequential. I don't mind durability mechanics if they're not too intrusive, but BoTW had some of the most egregious 'suck the fun from the combat' implementations I've ever played.

Botw does not lock weapons behind stats. How would you make sure the player can find useable gear in the world when they have the strongest weapons in the game after a few hours?

The minute they removed breakable weapons people would cry about not finding anything valuable in chests anymore

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
> this vocal minority might get their way and we end up with a beeline for the unbreakable weapons and that's it for the sequel.

Hopefully we do win. If you don't want to use weapons after five swings just stop using them.

And YOU are the vocal minority. I don't have any stats to back it up but its convenient to call you that and I don't want your opinion to matter as much as mine!
You're using anecdotal evidence AND attacking the person who didn't even claim it was a vocal minority. I was actually retorting the person who did so because it's a complaint I see often for the game. I used the terminology present in the post in response to another post claiming it was just a "vocal minority" but next time I'll use air quotes to make sure even the lowest of reading comprehension can detect the manner in which I'm speaking.

A childish complaint deserves a childish response. If you don't want to play BOTW the way it's designed don't play it. Get over yourself.

Weapon durability was such an elegant solution to the problem of balancing the difficulty of encounters across an open world, that the vast majority of players don't realise that's why it exists.
They realize why it exists, they're just going to complain about it anyways.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All the other open world games I've played pretend that you are free to go where you want, but actually require you to do things in a restricted order due to the difficulty of enemy encounters. If you go somewhere sooner than you're supposed to, you either die, or force your way through a big difficulty spike. If you go somewhere later than you are supposed to, enemy encounters will present so little difficulty they are pointless. It's like developers thought that it would be cool explore a large open world, without recognizing that game mechanics designed for linear adventures would have to be changed. This problem is usually mitigated (but never solved) in a few ways:

1- Enemy difficulty scales with character level.
2- Enemy difficulty scales with distance from character start position.
3- Enemy difficulty scales with story progress, often this only applies to specific enemy encounters.

See if you can spot which crutch your next open world game is leaning on, and whether you really can go anywhere, anytime, whilst still having a balanced series of encounters.

I mean BotW also has this difficulty issue as well. You'll have a much harder time if you go to Eldin or Gerudo first on your travels and then have a pretty easy time with Hebra and Lanayru after doing those areas. Even those areas Ganon bosses are significantly harder than their other area counterparts.

Feb 21, 2019

This is not a fair comparison. It is absolutely objective criticism. The weapon durability system actively dissuaded some folks from exploring the world because what you found there was essentially "ammo" as you put it. And ammo isn't fun and worth exploring for. For me the experience felt hollow. (Not to mention the cumbersome and clunky way to change weapons severely limiting the flow of combat.

Feb 21, 2019
"Dissuaded SOME folks."

It's not objective. It's subjective and anecdotal.

People being used to carrot on stick design doesn't mean the game is objectively worse for actively choosing not to take that mentality into it. BOTW is designed to adapt and that mentality is through most if not all of its mechanics. You don't like it? Sure that's fine. But saying it's an "objective criticism" is not using either of those words the way they're defined.

I can literally come up with any design problem by saying "some folks didn't like it/use it right" which makes it worthless as a complaint. I've watched some users complain about boss enemies or other enemies and even when provided with ways to beat them/circumvent the difficulty say "it's too hard."

There is never going to be a time where you can please everyone, but again saying that it's a "problem" or even a fault of the game that you don't get what you want will never be a good critique. I can see how they can "improve" the weapon system in a future title with buffs and/or other systems in the game, but just because people beat sticks against shields doesn't mean the game is badly designed and its weapons system is designed with clear intent. If that intent doesn't jive with you, that's fine, but for millions of people ammo was "fun" and "worth exploring for."

Sorry the game felt hollow for you bud, but that doesn't mean the game is faulty because you don't like it.
I didn't say it was faulty. Its a not fun and irritating mechanic for some people (yes some, as evidenced by the fact you can't have a BotW discussing without it coming up). Its a design choice that we all can debate whether it is successful.

Your opinion is also subjective and anecdotal (but you know that). All criticism (and complementing) is subjective (you know that too).

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Dream scenario for BOTW2 is making the weapons Dark Souls style where durability is much slower and weapons have different properties other than damage (like different movesets on the same type of weapon depending on the weapon).

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
This is not a fair comparison. It is absolutely objective criticism. The weapon durability system actively dissuaded some folks from exploring the world because what you found there was essentially "ammo" as you put it. And ammo isn't fun and worth exploring for. For me the experience felt hollow. (Not to mention the cumbersome and clunky way to change weapons severely limiting the flow of combat.

It was a definite design decision and I respect that, but there could have been more elegant ways to reconcile the mechanical design with the free-roam aspects. I think locking down so many mechanical and narrative aspects so early in the game did it a disservice. It felt superficial because so little of what was out there to discover had any real impact on the moment to moment - narratively, systematically or on a world level. I still think it was a great achievement, but I'd really like to see them to expand in these areas for the next game.

Feb 21, 2019
It was a definite design decision and I respect that, but there could have been more elegant ways to reconcile the mechanical design with the free-roam aspects. I think locking down so many mechanical and narrative aspects so early in the game did it a disservice. It felt superficial because so little of what was out there to discover had any real impact on the moment to moment - narratively, systematically or on a world level. I still think it was a great achievement, but I'd really like to see them to expand in these areas for the next game.
More eloquently put, but this is exactly what I was trying to say.

Deleted member 55311

Banned
Mar 26, 2019
You're using anecdotal evidence AND attacking the person who didn't even claim it was a vocal minority. I was actually retorting the person who did so because it's a complaint I see often for the game. I used the terminology present in the post in response to another post claiming it was just a "vocal minority" but next time I'll use air quotes to make sure even the lowest of reading comprehension can detect the manner in which I'm speaking.

A childish complaint deserves a childish response. If you don't want to play BOTW the way it's designed don't play it. Get over yourself.

They realize why it exists, they're just going to complain about it anyways.

Its not an attack. Its a joke. Nobody ever knows what the vocal minority is but they throw it out whenever someone disagrees with them.

People who complain about weapon breaking aren't making a childish complaint. Someone somewhere complains about every aspect of every game. As long as they aren't threatening the Devs it is totally okay to express those feelings. If anyone is childish its the people who are bothered by those complaints and even worse are the people who tell them not to play the game at all (coughs).

- I will not get over myself. Its not this serious.
- Nobody needs your permission to play or not play a game.
- I don't want to play the game the way its designed but its not so awful that it ruins the entire experience.
- I still hope its gone in the next game. If its not... The game will probably still be great. I still want it gone if not optional.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
I wanna thank everyone for their responses to my question about weapons breaking. I really appreciate it. Gonna be diving into this game in a month or so, after I start and finish FE.

This forum has some amazing folks here. Thanks!

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna be playing this for the first time soon. How big of an issue is this? A hassle or just something you deal with as part of the game?
I'm in the "just something you deal with as part of the game" camp but I'll give the other camp that it's something I had to get used to. All of my "gaming life" kinda taught me to hold onto weapons so you might need to break that habit.

You'll never end up empty handed unless you go out of your way of wasting all your weapons.