• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I just discovered that Maynard James Keenan (Tool) and Danny Carey (Tool Drummer) were both members of Green Jello (later changed to Green Jelly for legal reasons). During the "Three Little Pigs" song Danny is on drums and Maynard is singing the part "Not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin!" Furthermore, parts of Tools EP Opiate were recorded in the Green Jello Loft. Crazy!

Also, not a lot of people know that Sir Mix A Lot and The Presidents of the United States of America joined forces in a group called Subset around 1998-99. They never officially released anything, but you can hear a couple of singles via Youtube. It's as weird as you might think!

Share your wild and weirdest music facts.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
There was a thread a while back about songs that everyone thinks is the original but is actually a cover. I discovered another example recently.

The Twist is usually associated with Chubby Checker, but the song was originally by Hank Ballard and the Midnighters.

As the story goes, Hank Ballard and the Midnighters were scheduled to perform their very popular song on American Bandstand. Due to girlfriend problems, Hank Ballard couldn't perform, so Dick Clark got Chubby Checker to perform it instead. It was a big hit, and now Chubby Checker's is the version we all know and love.

Oct 29, 2017
I just discovered that Maynard James Keenan (Tool) and Danny Carey (Tool Drummer) were both members of Green Jello (later changed to Green Jelly for legal reasons). During the "Three Little Pigs" song Danny is on drums and Maynard is singing the part "Not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin!" Furthermore, parts of Tools EP Opiate were recorded in the Green Jello Loft. Crazy!

Also, not a lot of people know that Sir Mix A Lot and The Presidents of the United States of America joined forces in a group called Subset around 1998-99. They never officially released anything, but you can hear a couple of singles via Youtube. It's as weird as you might think!

Share your wild and weirdest music facts.

Didn't Green Jelly work on the soundtrack for Maximum Carnage on the Genesis?

Chadtwo

Oct 29, 2017
This might be well known but one of the girls on the cover of the Smashing Pumpkins album Siamese Dream grew up to be their bassist

Edit: jk this is false

Last edited:

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Gregg Turkington from On Cinema produced two albums for Anton LaVey and the Church of Satan.

maxresdefault.jpg

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
The fact this song remains a mystery. I just really dig song mysteries like the whole Q Lazzarus thing.

This song was recorded from a German radio station called NDR between 1982 and 1984. Search (online) has been active since the early 2000s, when the song was made available online, and to this day no one has been able to give any accurate and correct information about the origin of the song. Facts like the band's nationality and exact year of recording are unknown, and to this day, we have not gotten any information about the whereabouts of the authors, or even the correct title of the song. Apparently there is no alternative online register/archive of this song, since the only source we have of this song is from the cassette tape that Darius recorded from the radio. Recently, a Reddit user found that in the chorus of this song, a synth called Yamaha DX7 was used, there's a preset called Syn-Lead 5, and it's exactly the same sound they used in the song, the Yamaha DX7 was released in 1983, so we may have a basis that the song was probably recorded in 1984, or late 1983.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The female vocalist who performed vocal backing on the Rolling Stones's Gimmie Shelter, Merry Clayton, suffered a miscarriage immediately after her performance.

The recording features guest vocals by Merry Clayton, recorded at a last-minute late-night recording session during the mixing phase, arranged by her friend and record producer Jack Nitzsche. After the first verse is sung by Jagger, Merry Clayton enters and they share the next three verses. A harmonica solo by Jagger and guitar solo by Richards follow. Then, with great energy, Clayton repeatedly sings "Rape, murder! It's just a shot away! It's just a shot away!", almost screaming the final stanza. She and Jagger then repeat the line "It's just a shot away" and finish with repeats of "It's just a kiss away". . . . Summoned from bed around midnight by Nitzsche, Clayton - heavily pregnant - made her recording with just a few takes and then returned home to bed. It remains the most prominent contribution to a Rolling Stones track by a female vocalist.

At about 2:59 into the song, Clayton's voice cracks under the strain; once during the second refrain on the word "shot", then on the word "murder" during the third refrain, after which Jagger is faintly heard exclaiming "Woo!" in response to Clayton's powerful delivery. Upon returning home, Clayton suffered a miscarriage, attributed by some sources to her exertions during the recording.

I can't unhear the "woo" anymore

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
Larry LaLonde, guitarist of Primus, was in the death metal band Possessed. One of the first to be labeled as they "coined" the term on their first album.

Larry LaLonde later joined a thrash metal band Blind Illusion, which Les Claypool was in. The rest is history as they went on to form Primus.

Not weird, and many 90's music aficionados will already know these:

Gregg Alexander of New Radicals who wrote this song:

Also was the one who wrote THIS song:

And you can totally tell - his distinct influence is palpable.

He went on to have a relatively successful song writing/production career - and I really dig his musical style.

And of course, as many early 90s music lovers know, Sugar Ray - known for their saccharine acoustic guitar pop was previously a punk band:

Once they experienced success with "Fly", they seem to have gone full on into pop music. The intro track from 14:59 seems to poke fun at their turn in genre.

Last, System of a Down's incredible album "Toxicity" was released a week before September 11th, 2001.

Chop Suey was pulled from the radio for a while due to the lyrical content, which obviously became inappropriate given the circumstances.

On the topic of weird 9/11 music coincidences, Limp Bizkit received a congratulations letter from the WTC staff sometime around September 7, 2001 as they had just won the award for "Rollin" as the Best Rock Video which was filmed on top of the WTC one year before.

Last edited:

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Religious anti-rock activists tried to say Def Leppard put a secret message at the end of Love Bites ("jesus of nazareth, go to hell") when in fact it's Mutt Lange saying, "yes it does, blood hell". Rock of Ages is ironicly the only song that has deliberate secret statements hidden during the guitar solo which are definitely cold war references against Russia.

Of course Rocket has alot backwards stuff in it but they were never secretif of it.

Not weird, and many 90's music aficionados will already know these:

Gregg Alexander of New Radicals who wrote this song:

Also was the one who wrote THIS song:

And you can totally tell - his distinct influence is palpable.

He went on to have a relatively successful song writing/production career - and I really dig his musical style.

And of course, as many early 90s music lovers know, Sugar Ray - known for their saccharine acoustic guitar pop was previously a punk band:

Once they experienced success with "Fly", they seem to have gone full on into pop music. The intro track from 14:59 seems to poke fun at their turn in genre.

Last, System of a Down's incredible album "Toxicity" was released a week before September 11th, 2001.

Chop Suey was pulled from the radio for a while due to the lyrical content, which obviously became inappropriate given the circumstances.

I grew up always thinking that the album was a reference to what was happening due to the war and the general American mindset at the time (which still continues today, I suppose).

On the topic of weird 9/11 music coincidences, Limp Bizkit received a congratulations letter from the WTC staff on September 6, 2001, as they had just won "Best Rock Video" for Rollin', which was filmed on top of the WTC one year before.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
On Unknowm Pleasures by Joy Division there were some pioneering songs created, but also some interesting recording techniques. It was impossible to get clean drums back then without getting spill over, the producer wanted clean drums, to the point Stephen Morris had to take his kit apart and played each part separately to avoid spill over.

Oct 27, 2017
The girl moaning in Guns N Roses "Rocket Queen" apparently is Axl's girlfriend at the time. I remember reading Slash's book and I believe he mentioned that to get it recorded they just spontaneously started fucking in the studio. Dont remember the details.

Metallica originally wanted "Holier Than Thou" to be the first single from the Black Album, Enter Sandman ended up being the first.

Also, if you're a Dream Theater fan, their music is filled with "nuggets" which are just little cool behind the scenes facts about stuff in their songs. Their used to be a website that kept track of all of them but I dont have the bookmark anymore.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Phun Phish facts:

• Phish was the fourth band to really have any kind of presence on the internet, via Usenet. The first three music related usenet newsgroups were rec.music.beatles, rec.music.gratefuldead and rec.music.bobdylan. At the time, the internet was mainly used on college campuses, and since Phish was really big with the college crowd (especially in the North East), fans were able to get a newsgroup set up, which was not an easy thing to get approved at the time.

• Phish keyboard player Page McConnell's father, Dr. Jack McConnell, worked for McNeil laboratories and helped develop Tylenol and the MRI.

• One more. The artist who has played the most concerts at Madison Square Garden is one Billy Joel, who is at 100+ performances, 2nd place goes to Elton John at 70 performances, and 3rd place is Phish, who are at 64 performances. The Grateful Dead are in 4th place with 52 performances, but that does not include recent performances by Dead & Co, or other spin off groups.
The girl moaning in Guns N Roses "Rocket Queen" apparently is Axl's girlfriend at the time. I remember reading Slash's book and I believe he mentioned that to get it recorded they just spontaneously started fucking in the studio. Dont remember the details.

There was a recent episode of Disgraceland (podcast) where he talks about G'N'R and he says the girl on Rocket Queen was actually drummer Steve Adler's girlfriend, who basically agreed to let Axl fuck her for the recording, but without Steve's consent, and that is just one of the many reasons they hated each other.