• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
This has probably been linked here already but found this site on Ars recently:

https://www.filfre.net/sitemap/

A great collection of behind the scenes stories about the making of early video games and the personalities behind them.

And since this is a pic thread heres a couple of boxes I have shoved in the closet:

17982018892_c67d292947_b.jpg

17797550540_747c457243_b.jpg

Jeez, so many memories come flooding back seeing those boxes like that. Some classic games right there. I wish I kept my old PC big boxes but unfortunately they are lost to time.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018

Haha indeed :D That's a great vid, not just for the comedy drawings and usernames! So many memories, Windows 3.x was my first Windows experience at school, but my biggest flashbacks from that vid were the installation procedures for Win 95 through to Win XP, I must have gone through all of those so many fucking times for friends and family. By Vista I had dropped enough hints to them all that I did not actually want to go through this pain for them.

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse
What it was like to code demos on the Atari ST, the pinnacle of software development as far as I'm concerned:

1.Make the graphics with Degas Elite:
Low_DegasElite_01.jpg

2.Prototype and precalc tables with GFA Basic:
High_GFABasic_01.jpg

3. Write asm code with devpac (and a 68k cycle table, you'll have to count them all):
High_Devpac_02.jpg

4. Rip a MadMax music from some other demo with MonST (look for the JMPs !):
ostis-monst.png

5. Yes, it's shit, but it's your shit!
screen_naos.png

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PN7ZeVt.gif

RikK0yu.png

My Dad worked in teacher training with computers in the 80s and 90s; as a result of this I've ended up with a huge pile of weird and wonderful BBC Micro edutainment titles when they threw them out - that are often truly bizarre. I've been tempted to do some sort of Let's Play-esque thread exploring them, because I think it's a world of edutainment that has the odd trait of occasionally being not just only in a single country, but occasionally only in a few *regions* of that country depending on which educational boards worked with which..

miqATBJ.png

Dust is one I particularly would like to write about; a pseudo-sequel to the better-known Dread Dragon Droom, it's an educational game set around the whole solar system, and it's frankly insane
Fuck yeah, dude, Granny's Garden was the shit.