• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which date format is the best?

• DD/MM/YYYY

Votes: 1,241 53.6%
  • MM/DD/YYYY

Votes: 500 21.6%
  • YYYY/MM/DD

Votes: 574 24.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Year-month-day has the best logical/technical case for it, being in order of most significant digits to least, and being lexographically sortable into proper time sequence as a result.

While the European day-month-year order is superficially more sensible than month-day-year, I can't think of a reason the distinction is meaningful or advantageous in practice. So between those two, I don't think it actually matters—it's just about which convention you're used to, or whichever matches the way dates are spoken in your language.

Last edited:

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
I use MM/DD/YYYY to communicate with others because it's the standard here. I use YYYY/MM/DD for things I don't plan on sharing because it makes the most sense to me (coarsest to finest granularity).

Jun 17, 2019
Gotta go with MM/DD/YYYY

As nice as YYYY/MM/DD is, it makes no sense when you're logically thinking about how your brain processes time. DD/MM/YYYY I will take too but the year out front makes no sense since it's the one that changes the most. Month and day sit forever pretty much and never change. The month is the one that changes the least so you would want the one that changes the least in the front, then the two that change the most.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
"When is your birthday?"

Dec. 25, 2021

MM, DD, YYYY makes the most sense to me.

Even using computers I sort this way.

file-explorer-qttabbar-windows-10.jpg

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta go with MM/DD/YYYY

As nice as YYYY/MM/DD is, it makes no sense when you're logically thinking about how your brain processes time. DD/MM/YYYY I will take too but the year out front makes no sense since it's the one that changes the most. Month and day sit forever pretty much and never change. The month is the one that changes the least so you would want the one that changes the least in the front, then the two that change the most.
... how do months change less than days? (If I understood what you mean by "change" correctly)

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
It only does in american english, not in any other western language.
You may guess why.
And even then it doesn't reaaaally make sense, because the logic is dumb, it's applying the gramatical rules of a sentence to something that is not a sentence but a date format meant to be understood "universally". Date formats aren't "english". The only way this would make sense is by a completely backwards after the fact justification.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
Dd/mm/yy for normal date stuff, yyyy/mm/dd for naming file on the computer aince you can sort chronologically

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I notice that I find jarring when I see American news clips is the presenter saying "December one twenty twenty-one", as opposed to in Britain we'd say "December first twenty twenty-one" (order aside).

Is that common or just a quirk with some presenters? I think it was Brian Williams I'm remembering but definitely not the only one I've seen do it.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
MM/DD/YYYY

If you disagree, you are a racist and should be permabanned from ResetERA®

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I notice that I find jarring when I see American news clips is the presenter saying "December one twenty twenty-one", as opposed to in Britain we'd say "December first twenty twenty-one" (order aside).

Is that common or just a quirk with some presenters? I think it was Brian Williams I'm remembering but definitely not the only one I've seen do it.
Who says December One.
What news clip was this.

Nobody says that.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Largest to smallest. That said MM/DD/YY just feels more relevant to the average interactions a person might have to me than DD/MM/YY. Like YY/MM/DD has clear advantages in a lot of situations, especially for like computers and cataloging/tracking stuff. But for normal human interactions I feel like MM/DD is the most relevant. You tell me there's a wedding or concert or release of some kind coming up, then the Month that it occurs is the most relevant piece of information as it's them most unique and easiest to grasp/remember and sort relation wise to other events you might be comparing it to and then followed by the actual day of said month which is more specific information and less unique. It's easy to remember so and so's birthday is in March and then work your way to the actual day of the month than other way around. And then Year gets tacked on at the end because it's often the least relevant and so it's an after thought that can be included or just left out entirely most often.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017

Muse98

May 28, 2020
DD/MM/YYYY

brought to you by the same people that use commas instead of decimal periods

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I use them all depending on how I'm writing a date lol.

December 25, 2021 or 12/25/2021 in casual everyday use.

In a database program I use, it's usually 25/12/2021.

If I'm naming something in internet explorer, etc, it's 2021-12-25 for sorting purposes.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
DDMMYYYY for basic stuff, YYYYMMDD for pc stuff or more proper things (legal doc. stuff, etc).
MMDDYYYY makes absolutely zero sense unless you are spelling the month name and you're writing in English (in Spanish when you speak a date out loud, you start with the day, and in Japanese start with the year).

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Largest to smallest. That said MM/DD/YY just feels more relevant to the average interactions a person might have to me than DD/MM/YY. Like YY/MM/DD has clear advantages in a lot of situations, especially for like computers and cataloging/tracking stuff. But for normal human interactions I feel like MM/DD is the most relevant. You tell me there's a wedding or concert or release of some kind coming up, then the Month that it occurs is the most relevant piece of information as it's them most unique and easiest to grasp/remember and sort relation wise to other events you might be comparing it to and then followed by the actual day of said month which is more specific information and less unique. It's easy to remember so and so's birthday is in March and then work your way to the actual day of the month than other way around. And then Year gets tacked on at the end because it's often the least relevant and so it's an after thought that can be included or just left out entirely most often.

Yep sadly some people have trouble admitting this.

The current month? (Or next month i the 15th of this month already passed)
That's the exact logic you used to discard the year.

And if the person asked you this two years ago, the best answer would have been 2022. If they ask beginning of february, it's the 22nd (or whenever it comes out).
What part of the year is most important is context dependant, which is why you need a standard that makes sense any way. Which the Us date format doesn't.

Yes if the date is within the month a day is useful but if it's within two weeks it's easier to just say Monday or next Monday. The only time a day on its own is useful is if it's the beginning of the month and the the day is like three weeks away.

Say you are setting up a date, it's usually within a week you will just use the name of the day, let's go out Friday. Say you have birthday in two weeks you say "my birthday is next Monday".

If you are getting a follow up appointment it's usually months away, so your next appointment if in June. That movie you want to see comes out in say April. And so on. For everyday stuff month is more important than days.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DD/MM/YYYY is definitely the worst. Formatting based on that is completely useless. I will concede that YYYY/MM/DD is the the best, but MM/DD is absolutely better than DD/MM, period. US fucked up w.r.t. the metric system, but the date system is clearly superior to Europe.

Yeah, this nails it.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
All the hate for MM/DD/YYYY is surprising.

All my techy devices use this format, my computer uses this format, anytime I get bills or whatever in the mail it uses this format, documents I sign use this format, my doctor's office uses this format, basically it is everywhere.

So maybe it is a USA thing but is seems pretty common so not sure why so many think it is nonsensical or soooo wrong.

dom

â–² Legend â–²
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All the EU folks falling over themselves trying to explain DDMMYYYY as being superior when it all falls apart when you add in hours/minutes/seconds.

Do you give the time as seconds/minutes/hour or minutes/hour?

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
All the EU folks falling over themselves trying to explain DDMMYYYY as being superior when it all falls apart when you add in hours/minutes/seconds.

Do you give the time as seconds/minutes/hour or minutes/hour?
Doesn't really help out the US crowd either, you certainly don't do minutes/hours/seconds

YYYY-MM-DD team stays winning.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
All the hate for MM/DD/YYYY is surprising.

All my techy devices use this format, my computer uses this format, anytime I get bills or whatever in the mail it uses this format, documents I sign use this format, my doctor's office uses this format, basically it is everywhere.

So maybe it is a USA thing but is seems pretty common so not sure why so many think it is nonsensical or soooo wrong.
Because reasons.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
YYYY-MM-DD when the year matters.

MAY-27 / 27-MAY (makes no difference which) when the year doesn't matter.

Everything else is potentially ambiguous and should be avoided.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
What's annoying is work emails where people insist on numbers and not just spell it out!! E.g. tell me 1st Feb/Feb 1st, not 02/01. It avoids any ambiguity and repetitive emails to clarify. But of course my American colleagues are anything but sensible/logical. Weirdos.

Nov 3, 2021
Either of the ones that are in order, obviously. You could try to make a "human-shaped" argument for M/D/Y, but in the modern world it is terrible for things to be human-shaped. Things need to be computer-shaped. This must be very obvious to Americans who work with dates in Microsoft Excel.

EDIT: Very slight edge to Y/M/D over D/M/Y, because we already decided that when writing out numbers, digits further to the left carry more weight. And it would be easier to change our date system than our number writing system.

EDIT 2: Putting heavier digits and larger units of time further to the left might actually be "better", not just an arbitrary choice. Because it has the image of describing a location to someone by specifying smaller and smaller regions.

Last edited:

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
MMDDYYYY

you always say the month before the date in conversation anyways
Maybe that's common in America, but I would say "twenty-sixth of December twenty-twenty-one" for example.

YYYY-MM-DD for a printed date makes the most sense to me by far, same way time is best structured: HH:MM:SS, plus it sorts by default.

At least DD-MM-YYYY has a logical flow. I can't see any reason at all to have month first, none of the arguments for month-first make any kind of sense to me.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Voted MMDDYYYY because that's what we use here. But YYYYMMDD is clearly superior.

Also, I hate it how confusing MMDD and DDMM is. Wish everyone would just use YYYYMMDD.