• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should the next Mass Effect game be?

• Andromeda sequel

Votes: 72 12.2%
  • First contact prequel

Votes: 64 10.8%
  • Mass Effect 4

Votes: 192 32.5%
  • Hard Reboot

Votes: 210 35.5%
  • other (please state)

Votes: 53 9.0%

• Total voters

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about this for a couple of minutes and...Sigh...
I'm not sure I even want another Mass Effect. I don't think Bioware has it in them to create something great anymore. And I'm not even talking technical/gameplay stuff. I mean story and characters. Especially after Andromeda which was a disaster character-wise. Ryder as a main character and a leader is a joke. Cora could be substituted by a cardboard and nobody would notice. Plus I never would've imagined they can create a worse character than Jacob but lo and behold, here comes Liam. The rest was pretty mediocre. And I'm not gonna talk about NPC's bc there's nothing to talk about. Miss "My face is tired" anyone?
For the love of God we went to a new galaxy and we barely got anything new...
My biggest disappointment this gen along with FF XV.
Sorry for the rant.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
mass effect 3 was 8 years ago. I was thinking maybe they could just re-release the Trilogy but between the space-Jesus plot, the cringy sex scenes, and the paragon/renegade stuff the series is just way too dated. it's time to let it stay dead.

To me it's just more that every series doesn't need to survive forever or be rebooted and remade. It's ok for a series to just exist when it existed.

May 26, 2018
ME4, just forget the Starchild endings. We beat the Reapers, all the aliens joined together to do
It. Shepard is missing. The Galaxy is pretty messed up from the war, resources eaten into big time. Everyone's recovering. Now what?

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It's an enormous universe with an incredibly diverse range of inhabitants and planets to explore.
You could literally tell any story there. It doesn't have to be another fight to save existence.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I was fine with the series ending after 3, even as a mega fan of the trilogy.
Weirdly, Andromeda changed my mind, even though I'm not a fan. By the end of the game I was hungry for more, but better. I was even excited for a Quarian ark dlc that never came...

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Although I'm not a fan of the Asari, a lot of people like them. And they actually developed them to much more than "sexy blue women".

So many of my favourite characters are Asari, even though I'm not a fan of the species as a concept. I find they have a greater variation in personality than most species just to make up for it.
Also Aria x Nyreen 4lyfe screw you Bioware

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pick a canon ending, and set the game 50 years after 3. That might upset people, but I think it makes the most sense. It would feel like a post-WW2 Europe with alliances shifting and the adjustment of new galactic powers. The Turians and Asari both got hit hard by the reapers, so what does that mean? And commit to a canon ending for all the major choices.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
What about Reboot Andromeda? I thought the idea was pretty genius in terms of leaving the Galaxy and going to a new Galaxy, opened up a ton of possibilities if they had more development resources. With a sequel being them hearing the news about the Milky-Ways demise and having to go back there with a new crew of new alien species and see the remnants of Mass Effect 3's state of destruction, maybe even a Reaper Shepard as the main villain (but thousands of years in the future).

I mostly agree with this save for the going back, unless it was a side-story component. My vote is continue Andromeda. Technical issues aside, I actually enjoyed the game and they set up a bunch of cool story arcs at the end. Still salty they pulled the plug.

javiBear

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
ME3 ending sucked and retroactively ruined the series, Andromeda was broken and memed to oblivion, and Anthem was just pure shit. BioWare just doesn't have the talent to pull of a good game anymore. I don't believe any Mass Effect coming from them, or any future game for that matter, will be good. ME was once a favorite series of mine, even with the botched ending, so this hurts to say.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Mass Effect 4. I don't wanna save the world. I'd rather have a FFXII style political struggle whilst trying to rebuild.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Not interested in revisiting random side stories dressed up as main conflict in that universe, they blew their load too early, there is no going back!

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
im ok with andromeda sequel as long as it's well written. (who am i kidding, ill play any new m.e. game to death regardless)

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
It's sad to say,but I have no faith that Bioware could reach the heights of the original trilogy again.
Given the state they have left the series in only a reboot would do it for me anyway.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
A hard reboot wouldn't make sense in my opinion since that's what Andromeda already was. References to the previous trilogy have been minor and with every reboot they'd fall into the trap of making something different from the original trilogy.

So Mass Effect 4 is the only logical consequence:
-They can't catch lightning in a bottle twice.
-They already have solid established lore to work with.
-They already have solid characters to work with.
-It's better to retcon elements than having to work around them forever in the future.

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
Just let it die so we can keep what little good memories we have with the series intact.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
ME3 single handedly ruined the series, Either reboot it with IT canon, Or an actual happy ending not stills of pics and a " last breath " shot for us to imagine the ending.

Then again running around in ME3 doing fetch quests for Random's was awful so nah bollox too it.

Bioware are done, Magic is gone.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Crossover fighting game with the Star Wars Universe . . . . or Star Trek . . . . or whichever is available.

Oct 29, 2017
In my head, refusal is canon, but nothing saves this franchise.

Maybe if they made something like 1313, not concentrating the overreaching grandiose plot, but something similar to ME2 with personal tales in an interesting universe.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Not a HARD reboot, but I'd basically like them to start over from Mass Effect 1.

Keep the same story and characters and basic structure, but revamp pretty much all the specifics (new levels, less worlds but more detail and interesting stuff, go more into Cerberus, etc.)

Then do Mass Effect 2 again, keeping a lot the same, but go more in depth with what Cerberus did to bring Shepard back (can't believe that was barely touched in in ME2 or 3, such a potentially amazing aspect of the story). Let you see failed test subjects or stuff like that.
And they can ditch the Giant baby terminator at the end, make that something less stupid.

Then for Mass Effect 3 they can start fresh and hopefully ditch a lot of stuff. Scrap Kei Leng (I think that's his name) or make him a way better character (maybe introduce him in ME2, maybe even as a crew member to make him turning against you a plot point).

Give the Reapers a better reason for "reaping" all life in the galaxy (I think the original writer in ME2 wanted it to be stopping advanced civilizations from accelerating the end of the universe or something related to Dark Matter/Energy). Anything is better than "life eventual makes robots that will kill life, so we have to kill life to stop them from making robots that kill life" ummm, yeah.

And tweak the ending so it can be easier to continue with one or two "Canon" endings. None of that magic "make everyone half organic half synthetic" that makes zero sense, or "killing the Reapers also kills all AI Synthetics" BS (really, millenia old Reapers are similar enough to modern AI that they all have the same weakness?)

Then MAYBE if they can nail all of that, they can continue with a Mass Effect 4, or redo Andromeda to not be so mediocre.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Hard reboot.
I actually enjoyed 3 but a prequel would feel too weird knowing that inevitable ending is coming.
Even if there is potential in an Andromeda sequel (don't know, haven't played it myself), that side-universe seems stillborn. I don't think it'd make much sense to keep going in that direction.

Just make a game set on the citadel. Basically the same set-up as early ME1. Except no Reapers. Just go in an entirely new directions in terms of villains.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I would be fine with a good sequel to Andromeda, it was a mess but I still managed to enjoy it (heavily discounted anyway) and it kind of felt like I could see where it could have been a great game.

If not some sort of reboot, whether that's entirely detached from what came before or set far in the future in the same universe. I'd hate to go into the past, sounds like a boring setting.

Also make the new MC non-human, or give us the ability to create a non-human.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm honestly ready for a whole new IP spiritual sequel that has a new cast, new Milky Way galaxy, new aliens and new story ideas.

Mass Effect is tainted at this point. Andromeda was their biggest and last chance to renew gamer faith in Bioware and they handed it off to the unproven B team while they focused on Anthem (and look how that turned out).

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
A sequel to Andromeda set far enough into the future that the Initiative have a foothold in the galaxy with plenty of colonies built up. Then make a story like Mass Effect 2 where the stakes are high but not galaxy ending where the main focus is on your crew. But don't call it Andromeda 2, give it a new subtitle.

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I won't mind at all Andromeda 2 sequel. There is honestly huge potential for sequels but I think EA and Bioware are now scared to use the name "Andromeda" because of the meme/internet. Granted that they can use another name anyway and continue the story.

Anyway I want and always wanted Mass Effect 4. They can do it like a 100 years later where alliances and species start to have issues. Introduce new rising species and factions.
Make something more like Mass Effect 1 so exploration/conflicts/politics of a Galactic society starting to fall on themselves (rebellious colonies, corruption etc.) with so ref to the original trilogy.

Liara should be there, as well as maybe descendant of your character and romance interest and you are set.

But yeah definitely ME4, no reboot please. The "soft" reboot was MEA. Continue with it if it's a reboot that you want.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's time for a spiritual successor. Say what you will about me3, it's ending was definative and tied up everything.

Anything they try to do with the franchise now will feel forced and tacked on.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
ME:4, the game starts at the ending of ME:3 and lets you replay a vastly improved version of the most hated ending in gaming. Then onwards to the aftermath.

Mass Effect needs its redemption.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect 4. Post Reaper war with the galaxy trying to rebuild and first contact with a new alien race that avoided said war since they hadn't discovered Relays yet and attempt to take over the galaxy once they see all of the other races are in shambles and dealing with political infighting and strife.