• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should the next Mass Effect game be?

• Andromeda sequel

Votes: 72 12.2%
  • First contact prequel

Votes: 64 10.8%
  • Mass Effect 4

Votes: 192 32.5%
  • Hard Reboot

Votes: 210 35.5%
  • other (please state)

Votes: 53 9.0%

• Total voters

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 4 means a continuation of the original trilogy.

Me: I'd want a hard reboot. Mostly cause Mass Effect 3 felt like such a definitive conclusion. The reapers are toast, all the alien conflicts have been resolved, all species are united by the end, etc. I think a reset with new aliens, new factions, and new gameplay mechanics would bring that feeling of discovery once again, something Andromeda failed at.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Hard reboot as well. Don't overdo the original trilogy by bringing it back. Andromeda has too much stigma attached to it now. Prequels are significantly less exciting because we already know what happens in the overall plot.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 3 screwed things up for the original trilogy (or what could directly follow it). Mass Effect: Andromeda screwed things up for the concept of completely departing from the original trilogy to do its own thing with a new cast and new setting. Guess it's a reboot's turn to screw things up.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if they should make it under BioWare & EA. Better left shelved as they'll find a way to disgrace it further. No EA, no Frostbite, no BioWare please. I know what that means, but on the off chance it gets handed to another competent Dev, then it should be ME4.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I voted for ME4, though I don't think it should be a direct sequel, but more like a game that takes place after the trilogy by a few decades I guess, taking into account the aftermath of the war and how the galaxy rebuilt. Brand new problems in a brand new Milky Way.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is that a hard reboot you got in your space pocket or are you just happy to see me

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
Hard reboot. Something more interesting than starting a generator/air filter on every planet you visit. Not Andromeda, basically.

Oct 25, 2017
Could be a goddamn clicker game for all I care as long as the writing isn't garbage like Andromeda.

EDIT: I agree with people saying "nothing." Just let the IP die. Move on.

Last edited:

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Either fast forward a couple of decades and just kind of quietly ignore that every ending in 3 was stupid in its own way, or fully bite the bullet and retcon the ending into something sane.

Either way, keep the universe going but move past the stupid 5 minutes at the end of 3.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It shouldn't be. The first Mass Effect would have been the perfect stand-alone game, no sequel needed as it was originally released. I loved ME2's story, and much of ME's story, but I preferred the first game's gameplay, and its story ended on a good note - the reapers were gone in the super far outer reaches, no way to get back, nothing to alert them to come back, and the game's hero on a futile mission to find them and end the threat,

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I certainly don't trust BioWare to work on anything Mass Effect-related in their current state. I just want a quality remaster of the trilogy. One more tribute to Commander Shepard before we finally say goodbye.

...which is a shame because the ME universe/lore is fantastic, and there's so much more I want to see.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I'm in the hard reboot camp.

The series is just unsalvageable at this point. You can't move forward past 3 because people just don't like where 3 ends up. You can't prequel without severely limiting your potential to grow the series. Andromeda could have grown into a great sequel trilogy but they fumbled their chance and the setting is so bad and restrictive in its own right that I just can't see a justification to return to it after so much silence.

Reboot the franchise, have it be about time travel or parallel universes in order to be able to tie it to the original canon, and instead of trying to recreate the success of the original trilogy do something new. Different playable races, new mechanics, new game structure. The Mass Effect brand is still strong even if narrative potential isn't, use it to do something neat.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard Reboot. That's pretty much the only thing I'd want at this point. Go back to the Milky Way and keep Andromeda in the past.

Or, if anything, just finally give me a ME Trilogy remaster.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Talent is gone, any tech they had is gone, audience engagement is gone. Just touch up the trilogy, include some more fanservice quests and call it a day.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
I want a game set in the milky way after the reaper war, but not so direct a continuation that I'd want to call it "Mass Effect 4"

senj

Nov 6, 2017
It shouldn't. The first Mass Effect would have been the perfect stand-alone game, no sequel needed as it was originally released.
It ... ends on a huge cliffhanger with the revelation of a larger Reaper threat far beyond just Sovereign, and iirc correctly literally the last scene is Shepard marching out of the council vowing to find some way to deal with the larger threat?

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't be. The first Mass Effect would have been the perfect stand-alone game, no sequel needed as it was originally released. I loved ME2's story, and much of ME's story, but I preferred the first game's gameplay, and its story ended on a good note - the reapers were gone in the super far outer reaches, no way to get back, nothing to alert them to come back, and the game's hero on a futile mission to find them and end the threat,

The game was always meant to be a trilogy.

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect Remaster with cannon destroy ending (no machine god-shepard or organics+synthetics bullshit).

and then outsource Mass Effect 4 (small story set in a post reaper galaxy) to a capable developer.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The next Mass Effect should be.... handed to a different company other than Bioware. That is the only way I would be interested again

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
People are likely to vastly disagree with me here, but I think what would be best for Mass Effect and Bioware/EA is to do something safe.

Take the action template of ME2/3 and add the branching and RPG-ness of ME1. Write a story with a solid beginning middle and end with good branching and consequences. Do not worry about making it compatible with future sequels or anything, keep the story contained to ONE game. Focus on companions and companion stories. No open world, just hub and spoke design. Focus focus focus. Good art design, good music, good voice acting, self contained story.

No game is easy to make (especially AAA), but I feel like they should deliver a "make the fans happy" return to roots ME game to get people back in their good graces and develop and functioning deliverables pipeline.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Non-canon dating sim. Let them have a little fun with something different to remove the "stink" of Andromeda (personally, I mostly enjoyed the game, but I realise that is not the public perception) that should play to Bioware's character strengths and takes a little of the pressure off of whatever the next "full" game would be.

Either that or just a trilogy remaster.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing. Mass Effect's flaws run too deep to fix it to any meaningful degree; you'd have to rewrite the entirety of Mass Effect 2 and 3 to create a truly effective trilogy.

Mass Effect happened, for good and ill. There's no need to go back and try to rectify art, you just need to try your best the next time.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
What about Reboot Andromeda? I thought the idea was pretty genius in terms of leaving the Galaxy and going to a new Galaxy, opened up a ton of possibilities if they had more development resources. With a sequel being them hearing the news about the Milky-Ways demise and having to go back there with a new crew of new alien species and see the remnants of Mass Effect 3's state of destruction, maybe even a Reaper Shepard as the main villain (but thousands of years in the future).

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
My dream ME game is like a Mass Effect Firefly esque. where you lead a bunch of outlaws and outcast in low stakes adventures across the galaxy just trying to survive

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
I know it's kind of a ridiculous request, but I'd like to see a remaster of the Mass Effect trilogy that adds some new endings to Mass Effect 3 that actually leave more room open for a sequel, whether or not it is a direct sequel.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
IMO the best thing to do, and the most fitting from both a story perspective and also from "refreshing" the game design, would be to make the refusal choice the canonical ending to Mass Effect 3.

That ending is the most "fitting" end for Shepard and the storyline imo.

There was no real way out with the other three endings, they were all sort of twisted in terms of forcing a choice on the species as a whole with the others, or turning shep into a reaper himself, ugh.

Shepard wouldn't have done this, he would have bit his lip, accepted the loss and told them to shove it and went out fighting.

Having Liara's "backup" plan be the thing that actually saves future civilizations from the reapers seems both fitting and bittersweet, even though Shep and the rest died and didn't "win" then and there, it was because of their journey and everyone on the crew coming together that allowed for them to actually be the ones that in the end save the day even if they were long gone.

This also paves the way for new stories and frees the game up from chasing "reapers" and things.

We can have completely new species in the galaxy, new gameplay designs for things, and the story doesn't have to be so focused on saving "the universe" but rather can be a more personal story that sets up things for future games.

I'd love to see a more focused game with the ability for you to actually fly around in a ship, land on planets (from space), have a smaller crew BUT be able to play with all of them and take them exploring, have vehicles to use, go back to allowing you to outfit your crew and things, etc.

Think of something more in line with say, Firefly/Farscape or something in terms of scope/story and crews on your ship.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hard reboot is a BAD idea. The universe and lore of the original series was one of it's biggest draws. Drop it and you basically lose the franchise's soul.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Either fast forward a couple of decades and just kind of quietly ignore that every ending in 3 was stupid in its own way, or fully bite the bullet and retcon the ending into something sane.

Either way, keep the universe going but move past the stupid 5 minutes at the end of 3.

agreed

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
smash effect. a game that finally lets you romance a hanar and elcor

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Hard reboot is a BAD idea. The universe and lore of the original series was one of it's biggest draws. Drop it and you basically lose the franchise's soul.
Yeah, I agree. People keep saying it "needs" to happen because of the ending of 3 but it seems like it would be cheaper and easier to just deal with that via a retcon

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
you know

a Shepard/reaper-free reboot set around ME1 focusing on "small scale" (lol) galactic society instead of big scary space monsters sounds pretty appealing

the setting and the characters were always the main appeal anyway

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just pick a god damn canon ending and do Mass Effect 4. It's not like literally anyone liked the three existing endings so why would anyone be bothered if one of them was made canon?

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe Im getting too cynical but I don't believe modern Bioware is even capable of putting out a good Mass Effect ever again.

Andromeda has too much baggage and a terrible lore. People aren't attached to that world and characters as much as the OG trilogy.

The really can't go back to the OG timeline since they basically fucked themselves with the endings of ME3 and the various implications they have on the state of the galaxy.

Mass Effect is dead, Dragon Age 4 is a huge question mark now considering the pressure on Bioware now.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing but a hard reboot will make me care. Andromeda was a perfect example of how fucked the canon has become, just ignore it and run away from it instead of you know having aspects carry over as it was one of the core selling points of Mass Effect.
Dragon Age handles its world changes a lot better so far.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i dont think you can properly rescue the series with any of the implications in the ending unless you jump forward a LOT of time. It's already futuristic technology, so to of the writers to come up with an even MORE futuristic setting might be too much. I'd say a hard reboot.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't care how it's done, but I want a story on a smaller scale. I'd love to see everything confined to a single system, where the protagonist doesn't necessarily have to save the whole galaxy. Make the story more personal, and make travel to a new planet or system much more significant with the characters involved.

Fuck the vehicle shit too. It hasn't been done well in Mass Effect, fuck the overabundance of loot and gear, and fuck large, empty expanses with not shit to do or see. Matter of fact, as much as I adore the first game, stop listening to the fans that *only* like the first game. It did the story and atmosphere extremely well, but it was surpassed by the other entries in just about every other category.