• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Let's hear it folks: Which series' lore is more insane?

• Metal Gear Solid

Votes: 251 22.7%
  • Kingdom Hearts

Votes: 854 77.3%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Two revered gaming franchises. Two batshit insane storylines. Only one can prevail.

Make your choice, or forever hold your peace.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Are we talking about which is more outlandish, or which is harder to follow?

Metal Gear takes a lot of spy thriller tropes and elaborates on them to absurd degrees, but it's not actually difficult to understand what's going on most of the time. Some groan-inducing twists, yeah, but it's still mostly comprehensible if occasionally dumb.

Kingdom Hearts has characters who exist in morphic resonance and get split apart and reincarnated as a bunch of other characters thanks to heart/soul/body/whatever separation and my understanding of it disintegrates pretty quickly.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Kingdom Hearts and it's not even a contest. The ending of Kingdom Hearts 1 is they seal a boy away in a dimension of endless darkness with Mickey Mouse for eternity

There are like 5 different identical variations on Roxas/Sora that all have their own backstory and role to play

Malificent dies and comes back to life for no reason that i could discern

Characters' memories get wiped constantly and their worlds are constantly being destroyed or reborn

It's just a mess. I love it.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear. Kingdom Hearts' stupid plot is just painful because it's so detached from most of what people actually play and is awful.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Metal Gear lore isn't that absurd. It has dumb shit like nanomachines and foxdie but when you consider how they tried to make the story connected over so many years and in a bizarre, jumping around order, it's pretty impressive. Anyone working under the same conditions in the same order over that amount of time would have trouble coming up with something totally devoid of nonsense.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
MGS is easier because despite its insanity it's still based on real events and places.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Metal Gear Solid is pretty cut and dry as far as I'm concerned. If the games were released chronologically, I doubt people would have any problem following them.

Kingdom Hearts is just nonsense.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Kingdom Hearts has a more 'we want more money, so let's convolute this story to the point of ridiculousness to put out more product'.

While MGS story is ridiculous, at least it seems like some effort was put into each game story-wise - except for MGSV, which we all know why that happened the way it did.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Kingdom Hearts. Multiple realities and time travel. It is like a turd sandwich wrapped in a burrito grilled inside an easy bake oven being sold as post modern art.

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear I can at least follow, even if it is ridiculous at times.

Kingdom Hearts is pure nonsense.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't mean to downplay how convoluted MGS can get but it's at its core a fairly simple story with some really weird detours. there was once a badass dude who got cloned into other badass dudes so the badassery can live on

kingdom hearts is gamefaqs fan fiction after huffing paint thinner.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
I used to think metal gear but after playing all of kingdom hearts it is easily kingdom hearts. Dream drop distance is so dumb but highly entertaining.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the Professor Layton option?

Between these, at least MGS is endearing in its stupidity.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I could follow Kingdom hearts just fine until 3D. Even then I'm not that confused.
I've never played MGS. I'm thinking about buying the series.
Guess I'm not qualified to answer just yet.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Kingdom hearts. MGS has some weird shit but you can understand the weirdness. I'm just along for the ride with Kingdom Hearts' time travel adventure of Xehanort and his 12 other selves.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I think most people who say MGS is too confusing have either not played the series or stopped after 2.

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018
I could follow Kingdom hearts just fine until 3D. Even then I'm not that confused.

Anime James bond , instead of 20 xenahorts it's an old man and an implanted arm that's possesing him or something.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The worst that MGS got was stuff in MGS4 (and a bit of 2) Everything else is fairly cut and dry.

It pales in comparison to KH's level of convoluted-ness.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I've played 2.5 games in each series (MGS4 + V with a bit of Snake Eater, KH1 + 2 with a bit of 358). I have a MUCH better idea of what's going on in MGS than I do for Kingdom Hearts. It's mostly the weird character splits/unions/doubles/etc. that makes Kingdom Hearts so difficult to keep track of. There's dumb shit in Metal Gear, but it doesn't take a lot of mental gymnastics to keep it straight.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Metal Gear Solid's story stops existing to me after the first one. Every single one after is just too wacky.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
It's kingdom hearts, they can't even number or name their games right.

Dream Drop Distance? Birth By Sleep? 358/2 days, what?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The main sin of MGS is that is long winded, not neccessarily hard to follow.

They also at least, even if having a larger narrative going on, tend to tell a singular story within the game. Like MGS3 doesn't need 4 or Phantom Pain to feel like a complete satisfying story.

That being said the last handful of games kind of whiffed it on that element, leaning more into the overarcing story and telling less interesting main stories.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear has some goofy stuff but it's not too hard to follow.

The big picture stuff is pretty easy to follow, but some of those cutscenes are just loaded with references to a fictional world history that is filled with different shadow organizations which are all connected through a convoluted web of conflicts and conspiracies. Trying to follow some of those dialogue heavy exchanges where characters are stumbling over themselves to dump exposition, in the most incoherent manner possible, can get pretty obnoxious (none of it actually leads anywhere substantial anyway, so you are better just skipping them).

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Kingdom Hearts isn't really that hard to follow but the lore is a complete mess and is just total nonsense. It's story also heavily relies on people making stupid decisions and lacking basic communication skills.

And I love every goddamn second of it.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Beings that are bodies with no heart are called "Nobodies"

Beings that are a heart with no body are called "Heartless"

I know it's not plot related but MGS never came close to something as stupid as this in it's own nomenclature and jargon

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

I'm going through the series right now (currently at MGS3), there are TONS of cutscene and dialogue but so far they are pretty straightforward and easy to follow.

It's not even close to Kingdom Hearts.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The big picture stuff is pretty easy to follow, but some of those cutscenes are just loaded with references to a fictional world history that is filled with different shadow organizations which are all connected through a convoluted web of conflicts and conspiracies. Trying to follow some of those dialogue heavy exchanges where characters are stumbling over themselves to dump exposition, in the most incoherent manner possible, can get pretty obnoxious (none of it actually leads anywhere substantial anyway, so you are better just skipping them).

If folk are claiming Metal Gear is easy to follow, I'm going to assume they completely missed the vast majority of the lore and story in those games and take it as a victory.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
If folk are claiming Metal Gear is easy to follow, I'm going to assume they completely missed the vast majority of the lore and story in those games and take it as a victory.

The people who just trimmed the fat, skipped the lore, and just followed the surface level conflict ARE victorious. They are certainly better at managing their personal time than I am.

rumplestilts

May 30, 2018
I honestly can't think of anything dumber and more convoluted than Metal Gear.

I say this as someone who adores Metal Gear.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
If you want to get into the nitty gritty of things then Kingdom Hearts is harder to grasp . The big picture of KH is far easier to "get" than MGS in my opinion.