• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

In the situation as described in the OP, would you purchase Nintendo games on PC? (PLEASE READ OP)

• Yes

Votes: 669 74.6%
  • No

Votes: 157 17.5%
  • Maybe a couple of games I really want, but I would avoid them otherwise

Votes: 71 7.9%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Calling that an inconvenience would be quite the stretch. Reason not having these features on Switch is a problem is that you need another device to communicate with friends. On PC I'd just use discord regardless of what launcher I'm using.

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've purchased exactly one game outside of Steam on pc and it's Titanfall 2.

So Yeah I'd buy em. I dislike handhelds/portables and i'd be interested to see what nintendo games that aren't held back by hardware would be like.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
sounds good to me. i'm not picky i just want this stuff available.

yes, i'll pay $10 for zelda 1, SMB1, ect even if it's absurd. i don't care about cheevos or refunds, ect. just make it available nintendo that's all i ask

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Why would Nintendo spend resources to port and update their games to PC when they can just focus it on devices they get money by selling the HW?
The maximum I see Is nintendo doing quick ports with no optimization that would undermine the benefits of playing it on PC

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine this is commentary on the Epic situation, but as someone who thinks their moneyhatting tactics are shitty and is avoiding their store as a result, I just want to say that I have no issue with publishers putting out their own launchers and stores for their own games. I happily have UPlay, Origin, and Battle.net installed alongside Steam and buy games for each service. It's the moneyhatting of exclusivity of 3rd party games that gets me.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
That is actually the reason I picked Nintendo for this haha. My inclination was to see if a sufficiently desirable product is enough to compensate for shortcomings of basic expected standard features elsewhere.
Heh, well you got what you wanted then. :P

Really, the only way that this kind of hypothetical store would not work out, is if it ended up literally being so bad that it'd be worse than having no store at all. I'm talking, hardware crashing, constant personal info leaks, dysfunctional data management with corrupted downloads everywhere, inane UI, etc. A PC storefront selling legitimate Nintendo games would have to be aggressively inhospitable to users in order to deter them. And even then there'd be a good number of people who'd just consider it Nintendo Hard and use it anyway, jumping through all the hoops just to have the games. That's the kind of brand appeal they have.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine this is commentary on the Epic situation, but as someone who thinks their moneyhatting tactics are shitty and is avoiding their store as a result, I just want to say that I have no issue with publishers putting out their own launchers and stores for their own games. I happily have UPlay, Origin, and Battle.net installed alongside Steam and buy games for each service. It's the moneyhatting of exclusivity of 3rd party games that gets me.
Honestly, this is more equivalent to MS and the Windows Store than EGS the way I see it.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Out of the big three I like Nintendo's titles the most, however, their own online store history on consoles is terrible and I wouldn't trust them to keep the store alive, build them in a way that secures your purchases over the long run. They'd probably adapt a similar model with a theoretical PC store, just shut it down after a few years and relaunch now and then, everybody has to buy their games anew!

So I would be very careful with what I buy there and for what price, always under the assumption this could be killed tomorrow!

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo makes their own games. Like Ubi with uPlay and EA with Origin, they might suck sometimes but that's fine.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heh, well you got what you wanted then. :P

Really, the only way that this kind of hypothetical store would not work out, is if it ended up literally being so bad that it'd be worse than having no store at all. I'm talking, hardware crashing, constant personal info leaks, dysfunctional data management with corrupted downloads everywhere, inane UI, etc. A PC storefront selling legitimate Nintendo games would have to be aggressively inhospitable to users in order to deter them. And even then there'd be a good number of people who'd just consider it Nintendo Hard and use it anyway, jumping through all the hoops just to have the games. That's the kind of brand appeal they have.
Yeah, in hindsight too OP, pls nerf lol.

But I guess I get it. Desirable product providing an upgrade over its lack of availability whatsoever means that people are willing to put up with any inconvenience in large part. I guess the MS store analogy I have in mind falls apart in that MS has largely struggled to put out too many appealing games since they started their newest PC gaming initiative.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, I'd use it and I'd purchase games from them. Features are great and they matter when there's a choice, the same way they matter to console gamers when they're deciding between versions.

It would be their own games that are exclusive and that's perfectly fine. As long as they're not being dicks and paying third party developers to keep games away from other platforms, they'd be welcome with open arms.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
see what nintendo games that aren't held back by hardware would be like
This is a common misconception but Nintendo games aren't held back by HW, Nintendo makes the HW with the power they believe is necessary for them to make the games they want to do. Nintendo on PC wont suddenly focus on graphics and performance, they would do the same type of games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a common misconception but Nintendo games aren't held back by HW, Nintendo makes the HW with the power they believe is necessary for them to make the games they want to do. Nintendo on PC wont suddenly focus on graphics and performance, they would do the same type of games.
Yes, but at the very least in the given hypothetical they would support 4K resolution, MFAA, and the like.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
For some games sure. A lot of games I'd still get on the console physically because I'd want to play it portably. Now if I purchased a game digitially & it existed on both my Switch & PC.... then WOOOOOO BOOOOOOYY

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Day 1 easily. Any publisher is free to put their exclusive's anywhere they want, assuming it is functioning one and not like say Bethesda launcher.
Only deal breaker for me will be if they start money hatting third party games to be locked down in their store.
Other feature I would like on it would be regional pricing but not a necessity.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but at the very least in the given hypothetical they would support 4K resolution, MFAA, and the like.
Well if Nintendo would do that why assume the store would be bad too? I don't see a scenario where they invest that much to make the PC versions look good and not care about the store

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I don't own a gaming PC so I voted no currently. If Nintendo games were available on PC then I'd definitely consider getting one at some point though. It's something I've toyed with off and on for a long time and would like to do anyway and this would be just another reason why.

My only complaint is that I would like it to be crossbuy with Switch so I can get the portable experience.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well if Nintendo would do that why assume the store would be bad too? I don't see they investing too much to make the PC versions that good and not care about the store
I mean, Nintendo went to the trouble of making the Switch, and yet the eShop still sucks, so presuming the store will suck isn't a stretch there.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Yes. It'd be better than using emulators.

Ethically, sure, but from a functionality and in many cases a technical proficiency standpoint, emulators are still in many instances going to be the more full featured solution

If this is a reaction thread to the Epic Bullshit, it seems you have failed to grasp something rather important.

People aren't upset the Epic store has exclusives. Origin has exclusives and nobody cares anymore. It's EA releasing their own games on their own store. What the majority of PC Gamers are taking an issue with in regards to Epic is moneyhatting games that are not their own and would otherwise (without the moneyhat) have appeared on other stores.

Thus this topic's premise ends up being slightly flawed I feel? Because if Nintendo were to start porting games to PC, that is only a net positive, because the alternative is no Nintendo games at all. (On PC.) Thus I am more willing and lenient to deal with a crap-store for games I otherwise wouldn't get.

Do you see the difference? :)

People are LESS upset that Origin has exclusives because they are first party, but in an ideal world those publishers would continue to sell their games on all platforms and storefronts.

Naer

Oct 29, 2017
New times are coming and, eventually, every console holder will have a store front on PC (and mobiles too) and their respective console will be just a pre build PC ready to use. Also streaming everywhere and subscription based services and a lot of new stuff that, somehow, will kill videogames (probably not)

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be all over that. I'm still let down by the sub-par hardware of the switch (i'm sure it's great for people who value the handheld aspect of it), so i'd love to play it with better visuals/framerates.

This has even less of a chance of happening than Sony doing it though, i would think. Nintendo has been fiercely protective of their games. Then again, all kinds of weird things seem to be happening between MS and Nintendo based on the rumors.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
They can do whatever the hell they want with their first party stuff. I think everyone's come to terms with that for a while now. It's when they start paying for exclusivity on their hypothetical low-feature store that it becomes a PITA.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that wouldn't interest me at all. i have pretty much no interest in gaming on a non-handheld device at this point.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
This is a tough hypothetical.

It's pretty far from Nintendo's stance on development and publishing as Nintendo don't get to control the experience in the way they wish to on their own hardware platforms. In order to compete on PC Nintendo would have to abandon their policy of not dropping the price of first party games as well. It's a really far stretch.

If it did happen I wouldn't buy in, a lot of Nintendo games are built to work with their specific hardware in much the same way how Apple builds the iPhone. So probably a no from me.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The only reason I buy stuff on steam is because of GOOD regional pricing.
The brazilian eshop is web only and has shitty regional pricing.

So no, I will rather play on consoles for practical reasons

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Would depend on the specifics, but playing Nintendo games anywhere but the couch would be weird.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I don't buy Nintendo legacy games on their actual store on their systems due to how barebones it is, if it's the same why bother buying it on pc especially if you own the game and can emulate it using a emulator that would run the game better lol

So no UNLESS the games get 50% discount or more

Regardless I would buy a game on nintendo's Store on pc before I would a game on EGS, Bethesda, or blizzard - I'd prefer playing/buying Nintendo's old games more than Fortnite, Call of Duty and whatever the hell Bethesda plans to release in the future.

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
People on this board would buy them.

But if their storefront is not as good as Steam I wonder how bad the piracy would be.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
I have no problem with publishers using their own games to promote their own platforms.

That's not what Epic is doing, so the premise of this thread is flawed.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
They'd have to fuck it up really really badly to make me want to play their games on their own consoles instead of my PC.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
What does Steam even do that people like so much? I can't imagine thinking that I'd rather not have a game on PC at all, than to have it on something other than Steam.