• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
Similar to the thread asking which film should Martin Scorsese watch (see here). Let's say Bob Iger convinces Scorsese to direct a Marvel film... he can choose any comic/character he want. Which one should he pick?

Any particular comic that fits his style? A gangster style comic/character?

FrEsaMBl.png

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I mean... The Punisher, I guess? Maybe? I'd say Spider-Man Noir but idk if MCU wants to get into that when they only just managed to get Spidey back temporarily, but if it doesn't need to be MCU, then yeah, Noir.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
The Russo Brothers could learn some things from Scorsese. Scorsese could learn some things from the Russo Brothers. And together they could land somewhere in the middle. And isn't the middle a great place to be?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... The Punisher, I guess? Maybe? I'd say Spider-Man Noir but idk if MCU wants to get into that when they only just managed to get Spidey back temporarily, but if it doesn't need to be MCU, then yeah, Noir.

Martin Scorcese made The Last Temptation of Christ, Silence and Hugo. Why do people act like he only knows how to make crime films?

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
It would 100% be Daredevil.

New York. Organized Crime. Catholicism.

It's what he gravitates towards in his movies already. (Throw in boxing with Raging Bull as well)

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Because we're talking about what he could do in Marvel, and he's hot off Irishman.

The Irishman is a character drama set to the backdrop of the mafia and organized crime (as are most of his"crime" movies). There's like 2 action scenes (if you even want to call them that) in the entire 3.5 hour movie.

its just feels like either a shallow interpretation, or a misunderstanding, of his career.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The Irishman is a character drama set to the backdrop of the mafia and organized crime (as are most of his"crime" movies). There's like 2 action scenes (if you even want to call them that) in the entire 3.5 hour movie.

its just feels like either a shallow interpretation, or a misunderstanding, of his career.

We're talking about super-heroes here.... those movies are the best samples of what would work bets with action heavy comic characters (Irishman excluded as you're right it is different but imagine Irishman with Frank Castle, it works)..... it's really not that weird.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Can't we let the man make killers of the flower moon?? I would trade that coming out for a whole years slate of mcu content.

We're talking about super-heroes here.... those movies are the best samples of what would work bets with action heavy comic characters (Irishman excluded as you're right it is different but imagine Irishman with Frank Castle, it works)..... it's really not that weird.
it doesn't work though. They have totally different origins.

Could marvel make a movie where the protagonist has to go through the arc that frank sheeran does?

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Punisher would do. You really want a movie with little to no superpowers, with a simple premise that can be used to provide meaningful commentary on a social issue.

Using Punisher to address police brutality could be pretty clever, especially if the main conflict is because police are idolising him and becoming more violent and he has to shut them down because that's not what police are meant to do.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Punisher would do. You really want a movie with little to no superpowers, with a simple premise that can be used to provide meaningful commentary on a social issue.

Using Punisher to address police brutality could be pretty clever, especially if the main conflict is because police are idolising him and becoming more violent and he has to shut them down because that's not what police are meant to do.
This is very true. I... kind of unironically want to see this now.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't want Martin to have to box himself in to the confines of the marvel formula as opposed to doing what he wants to do. He doesn't have many movies left and the last thing I want from his output is a fucking marvel movie haha

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
........... The Sentry. Learn hard into the mental illness of the character and any superhero shit will play out dreamlike with the Void also going back to being more metaphor than a literal monster thing.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Squirrel Girl: The Infinity Gumbo Gambit

Featuring Gambit played by Gerard Deparedieu. Squirrel Girl is Soarse Ronan. And Galactus is played by Joe Pesci.

Gambit has unleashed the Infinity Gumbo on his body and Squirrel Girl has been recruited by Galactus to stop him before he disturbs the balance of sausage in the universe.