• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I have never understood this notion that either Half-Life game was innovative or pushed the FPS genre forward in a meaningful direction. Good games? Sure. Innovative? Not really.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
I'm reading every comment, a lot of great thoughts and opinions here.

I just ask that everyone please keep things civil.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
There's no arguing that VR is definitely a better frontier for new innovation. But I think there might be a bit too much push on that idea when you consider the IP and it's legacy alone with those who have been waiting for a new title.

When it comes to a fanbase and the max amount of people being able to play, I think there's an argument that unique innovation can be seen as a hurdle for some. Shenmue 3 is sort of an example I would make here.

The fact that game came out and people were finally able to play the continuation of the story after so long I would say trumps it trying to be something new in some ways.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
From the trailer it looks like they've totally embraced what makes VR unique, with the detached hands and the detailed immersion and interaction.

I doubt I'll be playing it any time soon, but it is the kick up the backside VR needs. And VR is the only reason we've even got another HL game.

Nov 11, 2017
Software
It is what it is, a VR game.
The thing I keep seeing is feeling entitlement for some Half Life non VR pc game.

That may come in the future or may not, but this was developed as a VR game, so why even think about a non-existent non-VR half Life?
They haven't been working on that, they've been working on a groundbreaking full experience single player VR game.

If that makes you never play a game again...
you seemingly don't care about gaming that much in the first place, so that shouldn't be a big problem for you.

What's with you? So passive-aggressive.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it's something that I might not play for quite a while (or never), I find it awesome VR is getting a game like this.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why anyone would be disappointed with another "traditional" FPS game in the Half-Life universe if it lived up to the quality of the previous games.
VR is cool, but I don't require VR to find enjoyment in games, nor do I think that "most innovative" is comparable to "most fun".
I do think that Half-Life: Alyx looks like a lot of fun, but I'm not prepared to buy into current-gen VR for it. Either the costs need to be significantly lower, or the tech needs to be significantly better.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
THREE KILLER APPS. and probably a new standard for the industry. i am down with it, bring it.
Not sure what other games you're referring to, but even so, I'd rather budget what I'd be spending on a nascent VR peripheral on a new GPU that enhances the dozens of new and backlog games I'll be playing over the 5-6 years. This game looks like an awesome experience, but VR is still a low priority upgrade for me. Excited to hear impressions in any event.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
I have never understood this notion that either Half-Life game was innovative or pushed the FPS genre forward in a meaningful direction. Good games? Sure. Innovative? Not really.

Half life 1 was definitely revolutionary in its scripted cinematic events and AI. Half Life 2 was innovative in storytelling, facial animation and physics. At their releases they were doing things that nothing else did.

The expansions however never were particular revolutionary, although of high quality.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I am still Valve has finally stepped up to the plate and delivered a true AAA VR game. They always seemed like the only guys who could truly do that and take the hit. Everyone knows its probably a big money loser. But someone has to try.
I'd go and say this is the first AAAA VR game, compared to what we've seen with Asgard's Wraith and Stormland.

Deleted member 46922

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Maybe lighten up about the fact not everyone's into VR.

Erhm, I don't care if someone is into VR, I just think it's crazy to blame Valve for making this game when it's not to someone's liking.
Three days of people saying they feel betrayed, they're never gonna play a game again if VR succeeds, they deserve a non VR Half Life will do that to you.
I didn't tell anybody to "piss off" so that agression is not really there. :)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Erhm, I don't care if someone is into VR, I just think it's crazy to blame Valve for making this game when it's not to someone's liking.
Three days of people saying they feel betrayed, they're never gonna play a game again if VR succeeds, they deserve a non VR Half Life will do that to you.
I didn't tell anybody to "piss off" so that agression is not really there.
Accusing me of not liking gaming because I don't want VR was unnecessary. It reaks of condescension.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Not sure what other games you're referring to, but even so, I'd rather budget what I'd be spending on a nascent VR peripheral on a new GPU that enhances the dozens of new and backlog games I'll be playing over the 5-6 years. This game looks like an awesome experience, but VR is still a low priority upgrade for me. Excited to hear impressions in any event.
valve will release three flagship vr titles...all innovating. those are the three i am referring to.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
There's no arguing that VR is definitely a better frontier for new innovation. But I think there might be a bit too much push on that idea when you consider the IP and it's legacy alone with those who have been waiting for a new title.

When it comes to a fanbase and the max amount of people being able to play, I think there's an argument that unique innovation can be seen as a hurdle for some. Shenmue 3 is sort of an example I would make here.

The fact that game came out and people were finally able to play the continuation of the story after so long I would say trumps it trying to be something new in some ways.

It's possible that a Shenmue 3 situation is exactly what Valve might be trying to avoid. Fans may be happy but the game has a middling review average on Metacritic and it will not have even a bit of the impact that the previous games did.

Jun 26, 2018
Now that I've read it's a prequel I couldn't give less of a shit about personally playing it, VR or no VR. Though if it's locked to VR, that's a really big and expensive ask. Especially for something that isn't even Half-Life 3.

I've got 0 hopes of it being a worthwhile experience, so I'm looking forward to the reactions... if it comes out.

Dec 15, 2017
I would say that if a success it will do more for gaming than the current generation of consoles combined. I agree with you OP. Slightly shinier graphics on a TV don't do it anymore for me.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
There have been plenty of VR games that got a non VR mode added later, so there's always a chance it could happen with this too, but the down side is they will probably have to wait at least 12 months, if it happens at all.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

Haven't Valve employees repeatedly said they're scared to work on Half Life 3 because of that? There's a ton of pressure there.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
What envelope did the episodes push compared to Half Life 2?
I'm surprised no one has pointed it out, but the way I remember it at the time, the episodic model was very innovative, and a big risk. SiN failed at it almost out of the gate. Only Telltale managed to make it work for them at the time, after also not doing too hot with Bone.

That, and then there was the Orange Box too. These experiments around the digital marketing and distribution of the episodes felt like a very fresh thing.

I have honestly never cared much for the series, but yeah, I think there is a point to be made that these games have always served as a way for Valve to test new waters in many different fronts. Even Lost Coast had the whole HDR thing, which became a fairly big buzzword.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Not sure what other games you're referring to
Valve is developing three flagship VR games, with the first of them being Half-Life: Alyx. Wouldn't surprise me if the second and third games were other franchise revivals, just like what's happening here. A proper Portal built for VR could be rad.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how it's handled. It could show how much better Half Life VR is or if the VR game's movement and execution isn't that good it might show a fundamental flaw is still to be overcome and lets say they do a non VR version a year or two later that's rebuilt/reconfigured, even watered down and people love it then we'll see it's difficult to better the traditional fps experience

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad that someone finally went all in on VR instead of doing the same tired stuff over and over again. Things need to change and finally a company has the resolve to try and bring that change.

People hate change. And that's to be expected. Humanity is about that with everything. But sometimes innovators have to ignore the annoyingly loud close-minded consumers in order to get things moving forward.

The reactions people are having now is the same way people reacted to DVDs replacing VHS, CDs replacing cartridges, digital replacing physical media, electric replacing gas powered, autonomous tech replacing people.

There are plenty of FPS games that can be enjoyed the old fashioned way and they won't be going away anytime soon. It's time for something fresh.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Rewind 10 years ago, i would have bought a VR and upgrade my PC just to play the damn thing. Its not something i will do today, being older. If they decide to make a PC version of it, it would accomplish that i would buy it and hope to run it on my Surface Book. Maybe one day it will appear on PS VR and then i will decide to maybe get a VR headset just for it, but its Valve and they want to push VR on their platform, and god damn they found the perfect way to make people jump in.

MajorTom

Nov 5, 2017
England
I'm not paying £1000 to play Half Life, I could buy a top of the line GPU for that. VR just doesn't interest me in its current form, it's too expensive and there's just not enough top-quality content. It'll be better when you don't need to wear that massive mask and it drops massively in price.
It's a good job you don't have to pay £1000 for a vr headset then isn't it? :)

Dec 25, 2018
You can only do so much through a gamepad or keyboard/mouse interface. I don't really see gaming and entertainment 20 years from now being limited to just those interfaces. VR is clunky and awkward today, but future innovation and shrinking of hardware to better integrate into the experience will no doubt make the experience not only smoother but more preferable compared to current methods.

How is it clunky? Have you actually ever used VR?

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
The reactions people are having now is the same way people reacted to DVDs replacing VHS, CDs replacing cartridges, digital replacing physical media, electric replacing gas powered, autonomous tech replacing people.
Not exactly. See while those technologies the only cost was the new hardware, VR introduces a new cost in the person themself. Some people legitimately cannot use VR no matter how hard they try, while traditional controls for them were perfectly fine. Innovation is fine and all, but you have to be wary of the people you're going to leave behind, VR is the first time we have a technology that can't be solved simply by "saving more money to buy it".

People's negative reactions aren't even to do with a VR exclusive game per say. I'd imagine if this was a brand new IP things would have blown over better, but this is the first full length Half-Life title in 12 years, heck Valve is saying it's not even a spin-off but the real deal, and suddenly the fanbase has been introduced to a wall that for some is physically insurmountable.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Valve is developing three flagship VR games, with the first of them being Half-Life: Alyx. Wouldn't surprise me if the second and third games were other franchise revivals, just like what's happening here. A proper Portal built for VR could be rad.

Dunno, in the interview they seemed to think that Portal in VR would cause too much sickness.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
valve will release three flagship vr titles...all innovating. those are the three i am referring to.
Thanks for the info. Agreed that Portal VR would be especially interesting.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017

I can understand that from a fan perspective but unfortunately, if the game was just another Half-Life game in the same way Shenmue 3 is just another Shenmue game then that game was never going to be made by Valve because if the almost 12 year wait from the last game in the series wasn't enough of a hint they had no interest in making another one of those games.

Edit : I should add that as a huge Half-Life fan I am happy there is an actual Half-Life game coming out made by Valve. I truly didn't think we'd ever get one again. If that means the only way for the game to exist is to be a VR exclusive game then that's better than never getting one at all.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would accomplish me buying it and I suspect a few other million people too. That being said, nothing that I've tried on VR has convinced me its the future of the medium and so far the small install base is proving me right. It's a fun device to have but I don't see it becoming the de-facto way to play games. At least not for the foreseeable future.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
You can't look at a VR game and think "That looks cool, I want to play it" and also say "I want a non VR version". Because what you've said looks cool would not be what you get. You'd get a different game.

I really don't understand how people don't get that designing from the ground up, a VR game, is a fundamental shift in game design. Making a 'regular' version would be making a totally different game.

As I've said before, it's like looking at Super Mario 64 and then asking "Can I get a 2D version?". It totally misses the point and you're just asking for a different game - which is so bizarre.

You can ask for a 'regular' Half-Life, but asking for a 'regular' version of a built-for-VR game doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Jan 11, 2018
It's clear from the developer interview that the game would not exist without VR tech, and that any port would significantly water down the experience. Between this game not existing vs. only existing on VR, I'll take the latter.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
i think people are seriously underestimating the way this game will play - its just not possible to replicate that same gameplay with a mouse and keyboard.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Who could ever imagine Mario as a 2d game? ;)

To be honest I feel you could probably do 90% of it with mouse & keyboard just fine, it'd just feel less immersive.

RE7 worked fine both ways, I expect this to lean a lot harder in the direction of demonstrating VR though. I.e. more puzzles and interactions that specifically highlight VR, similar to how a bunch of stuff in Half-Life 2 felt very "look at this tech" at times.

I do agree it kinda sucks for people who are just fans of Half-Life and don't care about VR. Because VR has a bunch of extra hurdles; you have to buy extra hardware, it's wired, you're completely isolated when using it, motion sickness, room space required etc.
You really don't seem to have any experience of VR. Most of what you've said isn't even true.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
People's negative reactions aren't even to do with a VR exclusive game per say. I'd imagine if this was a brand new IP things would have blown over better, but this is the first full length Half-Life title in 12 years, heck Valve is saying it's not even a spin-off but the real deal, and suddenly the fanbase has been introduced to a wall that for some is physically insurmountable.
If it were a brand new IP it would have blown over way way better merely because no one would really be talking about. (there would still be people upset that Valve were making a new AAA title that was VR exclusive but not nearly as many because no half life, I agree there)
There are a ton of games on VR coming out that go well beyond tech demos but almost no one knows about them even on this gaming enthusiast forum because they don't get coverage. I mean one of the best reviewed games all year is Asgard's Wrath and there isn't even an official thread for it on this forum.
www.metacritic.com

Asgard's Wrath

Asgard's Wrath for PC game reviews & Metacritic score: Unleash the wrath of the Gods in a mythical Norse adventure that can only unfold in VR. Forge your destiny as both a mortal hero and living god in an action rol...
and it only has 12 reviews because no one cares to review VR games because they don't generate clicks at this time.

Heck I imagine that most people don't even know that Valve released the Lab in 2016. (which is mostly a tech demo but still)
store.steampowered.com

The Lab on Steam

Welcome to The Lab, a compilation of Valve’s room-scale VR experiments set in a pocket universe within Aperture Science. Fix a robot, defend a castle, adopt a mechanical dog, and more. Still not sold? It’s free!

Valve needed to do something like this in order for people to talk about it and seriously consider getting VR stuff for gaming. It sucks for the fans that can't play the game and want to, but Valve is in a position where they really only have to work on things they are passionate about, and right now they are passionate about VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.