• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game will disappoint the most

• Cyberpunk 2077

Votes: 175 11.6%
  • Half-Life: Alyx

Votes: 263 17.4%
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 240 15.9%
  • Halo Infinite

Votes: 487 32.3%
  • Ghost of Tsushima

Votes: 238 15.8%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 44 2.9%
  • The Last of Us 2

Votes: 63 4.2%

• Total voters

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Of the games listed in the poll, I've gotta say Ghosts of Tsushima. What little gameplay theyve shown looked very stiff, I hope Sucker Punch has made some massive improvements since then... coming off a year in which we got Sekiro, that won't be a flattering comparison in terms of feel.

Then again, I'm super LTTP on Days Gone, which I was very down on (just started playing yesterday, picked up a copy on the cheap) and am enjoying the hell out of it, so what do I know.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
theres no big ea release in 2020 besides the usual sports titles. i dont see the potential for any upcoming game to fail.

ff7r may anger some fans of the original if they change it too much. but i dont think itll be a bad game

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
I voted for Halo: Infinite but I'm not srue if it counts as a disappointment if peoples' expectations of it are already lower.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Halo has so much behind it and the name itself moves a ton of copies. Cyberpunk is mega hyped with so little actually known about it. I am pumped for the game but it definitely has the biggest change to disappoint.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Ghost of Tsushima really isn't blowing me away with what they've shown. The art and graphics are gorgeous but the combat they've shown hasn't impressed me at all. It would help if we get some more game play and really see what the game is all about and how it plays.

and yeah Halo Infinite will probably be middling.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Although I'm really eager to experience it for myself I chose Infinite, and I base that off us not ever seeing 343 tackle something on this scale and I'm also skeptical about how its going to be potentially held back by base Xbox One hardware and how that will scale up to Series X. As a massive fan of CE and the 360 titles I obviously want it to be great, but it feels like it's been so long since we've had a a true wow moment from the series in terms of gameplay and tech so 343 has a lot to prove what with this being a flagship title that's supposedly going to be selling the strengths of Series X. Then again that will probably be Senua anyhow as that's a full next gen exclusive afaik.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Halo leading the poll is bizarre to me. It has the potential to be the most disappointing based on what, exactly? We've seen next to nothing of the game and know even less about it's actual gameplay. 343i's last two games were wet farts (although 5's multiplayer has its appeal) - so if anything I would expect most folks to go in with low or tempered expectations, at least until we see some actual raw gameplay.

Personally I think Cyberpunk has the most potential to disappoint, considering the post-Witcher 3 hype levels that people have bestowed on it. I have no doubt that the game's writing will be top-shelf, but for all of their talent CD Projekt still hasn't shown me that they can make a game that's actual fluid and fun to control. I'm holding out hope that Cyberpunk actually plays like a great shooter, but considering they've never attempted a game with FPS trappings, I'm ready to yet again be disappointed. I'd also probably put Ghost of Tsushima at #2. What little we've seen of the actual gameplay/combat so far has looked very pedestrian.

Nov 28, 2017
NONE of the titles in OP's poll, are even close to being disappointments, to their respective target audience.

ERA and it's hot takes. Never change, ERA.

LMAO.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Half life alyx after 15 years and a vr title at that? Also halo 4 and 5 have not had greatest reception...might be another one for infinite if 343 dont get it together.

Ironically id pick ff7r too if i wasnt so confident in what ive seen and heard. On paper it seems like a disaster turning ff7 into a trilogy? Of games and the original being held up so high that it would not please many fans.

But if what they have shown so far is any indication of the full product..this game is gonna be something to behold.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
FF7 Remake is an easy bet, if only because I imagine it'll be much shorter than people expect.

Obviously not as short as MGS Ground Zeroes, but I expect a similar "prologue" type thing to the real story people want. People want a 40-hour Final Fantasy epic and will instead get a 10-ish hour, mostly linear thing.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Had a hard time choosing between Halo and Zelda but went with Zelda at last...hear me out.

I think Zelda open world honeymoon is over and people have started to see the world as mostly barren or maybe too long.

Zelda would be a better game than Halo but per expectations Halo has quite a low bar to cross for it to be revered as GOTG (you know it) while Zelda...that's a tall tall order for a near perfect game in people mind.
Zelda landed on a shitload of games of the decade lists just a few weeks ago lol. There is no honeymoon. Let it go.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing cyberpunk. It's not proven. It's super hyped because CDPR. It's practically been handed GOTY by so many people. My worry is the gameplay and not the story.

We will see and hopefully I'm wrong and it's amazing.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I get the feeling most people who'd be disappointed with Half-Life Alyx have already processed their disappointment after the reveal. It's not really like they'd pick it up accidentally and be like "WHAT THIS IS A VR GAME?"

So for me I'd say Cyberpunk 2077, I could see it stumbling a bit, especially on current consoles. Or at least not living up to expectations.

FFVII Remake will probably be controversial too, like almost every single modern Square Enix release. Mostly I could see it coming from uninformed players being bummed out by the cliffhanger ending (why didn't they give it a subtitle... whyyyy)

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I don't get Halo leading. 343 hit absolute rock bottom with 5. ND, CD Red, and Nintendo have sky high expectations placed on them. At this point if Infinite matches Gears 5's reception, even Xbox Execs will be pleased.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible for Avengers to be a disappointment? I don't think I've seen anyone say that the game looks good.

Oct 27, 2017
Went with half life.

I know that series is loved big time. I don't expect it to meet expectations, especially with it being a VR game.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I think Ghost of Tsushima will be another Days Gone situation. It's getting overly hyped because it's the new big Sony IP with a setting that everybody loves, but we know nothing about the gameplay at all.

Dec 25, 2018
kh remind. $30 is a lot for DLC, even the old hunters was cheaper and look at the content of that DLC. already got 2 meh features in remind, the menu and the camera mode. realistically very few people will give a shit about those.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Halo: Infinite is probably the right choice. I am curious to see how the gameplay is in Cyberpunk 2077. Don't get me wrong I love The Witcher III and that's a game that doesn't excel in the combat design, and Rockstar games a critically acclaimed and often have mediocre gameplay (at least in some areas), so it's not like I'm predicting an 84 for Cyberpunk - but if the gameplay is lacking I think there will be a sizeable crowd of people that call it overrated.

Granted That will probably happen no matter what.

I'm also really interested to see Half-Life Alyx. No idea what to think or expect.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Doom Eternal has a decent shot to come under expectations, more than a few of the games on the list IMO. No SnapMap, development issues, Bethesda being on a shit-streak, the new setting might not click with a lot of people.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
everyone else down on Ghosts: "Suckerpunch games aren't really anything special and ghost is being overhyped"

and then there's me who thinks suckerpunch's games are way better than naughtydog's and is worried Ghosts is following the overly cinematic aesthetic instead of being super game-y like their other games

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To the people saying this thread is negative, it really isn't, it's just harmless fun and any of these games could meet or exceed expectations and this thread will be our reference for serving crow later in the year.

Anyway onto my thoughts

Cyberpunk 2077: Doubt this disappoints, I think it's going to be GOTY material and blow people away.

Half Life Alyx: No chance it's bad.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: It's possible this underwhelms if it ends too early or changes too much people don't like... but I think the fans will fall in love all over again.

Halo Infinite: I do hope it's good... but I already don't care for what i've seen and i'm not pumped about going back to yet another Halo ring. Also, the entire current arc with Cortana needs to wrapped up in this game, it's not working.

Ghost of Tsushima: It might be a Days Gone situation, which I loved, but will be reviewed harshly, I think people are keeping expectations in check though.

Zelda Breath of the Wild 2: It's Nintendo, it's going to be the Mario Galaxy 2 of Zelda titles, relax.

The Last of Us 2: Gameplay will be flawless... it's the story that remains a big question mark... but I think it'll be phenomenal.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
If Overwatch 2 is launching this year like the PS Brazil leak claims... That skyrockets all the way to the top of the list.

Nov 1, 2017
Halo: Infinite is most likely the one to come up short, it's not like 343 has been hitting things out of the park and the franchises popularity has dropped hard. Unless 343 has learned all the right lessons and hits out of the park Infinite will be likely more of the same and that's really nothing to cheer about.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ghosts, then Cyberpunk (which would break my heart since it's my most anticipated confirmed game), and then Halo.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Halo of Half-Life. The Halo magic isn't coming back and Half-Life has a rabid fanbase who has crazy expectations.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
and then there's me who thinks suckerpunch's games are way better than naughtydog's and is worried Ghosts is following the overly cinematic aesthetic instead of being super game-y like their other games

...and then there's ME who thinks Naughty Dog haven't made a great game since the mid-2000's, but that's neither here nor there. Sure Ghost's visuals look nice and I'd be lying if a little exploration here and there didn't interest me, but from what little we've seen of the actual gameplay (away from CGI trailers), I'm not exactly impressed or getting my hopes up for Sucker Punch but I sure as fuck would like to be surprised and proven wrong.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
everyone else down on Ghosts: "Suckerpunch games aren't really anything special and ghost is being overhyped"

I feel like the Ghost hate is similar to what Horizon saw pre-release more than Days Gone.

Nov 11, 2017
Either half life or ff7 and I don't even think it's even close. Both are coming off two of the greatest games of all time in each respective series. not entirely sure how halo is leading when the game doesn't have huge expectations on here in the first place.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Starfield's E3 showing. Graphically it will look current gen, and it won't have a release date, only a "look forward to more news in the coming year."

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Ghosts seems like the one that has potential to be a cool idea that ultimately turns out more eye candy than substance.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
ffvii remake cannot possibly live up to the hype of 15 years of people expecting a remake even with lowered expectations and knowing it's not the complete product. and people who weren't alive in the 90s or were too young to experience it the first time around aren't going to be wowed by a japanese rpg in 2020.

half-life alyx is sort of in the same boat for being the first half-life game in 13 years. it also will have a limited audience so negative opinions will probably be a lot louder due to a smaller userbase.

i don't know about anything else being a disappointment. i don't think people get excited for halo anymore after 4 or even reach. ghost of tsushima should be fine - cyberpunk seems to be in good hands. breath of the wild 2 is probably going to actually be my jam if they work out the story to be more engaging and have traditionally-styled dungeons. the last of us 2 should be a pretty good production, but i don't have a ton of faith in naughty dog's ability to avoid harmful tropes, not that it would matter to critics or fans - we all saw what happened with detroit: become human after all.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017