• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
Thanks for lamalande for sharing this mock-up in the other thread.

Evohp17XYAYNfZg

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You guys should probably get a ruler and measure the screen diagonally from bezel to bezel.

Guess what the length is? :)

waddledee123

May 22, 2018
I don't think it will look too different. I'd imagine they are going to want to utilize the current joy con instead of making changes to them. Thats assuming this is just a switch 'pro' and not a new console entirely.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
No idea what'll happen beyond what you've shown. I suspect it'll look more 'premium' than just the 7" screen on an existing model.

Some thoughts:
  • Same thickness in order to accommodate existing joy-cons, however...
  • Changes to the joy-cons, and a phase out of the old stand-alone products (think Wii Remote +)
  • Improvements in the shell/case - the original plastic felt cheap, and my 2017 model had a chip near the power button

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I expect what's in the op, no more. Maybe different default joycon colors.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
SwitchUp_Hero_Front.jpg

SwitchUp_Hero_Back.jpg

Give me this with a matte finish and I will pay heavy coin.

It's got a bit of the Vita look. I like that.

But what's best here is the dock. That's exactly what Nintendo needs to do because it will remove the whole screen scratching piece of it. I love that idea.

But I have a feeling the new Switch will look like cheap plastic like everything Nintendo does hardware wise, but I'm excited for the specs and possibilities though.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's just one mock-up.
Oh no, I simply meant yeah, it's hard to make it look the most exciting at this point. And since it's Nintendo, I feel their revisions/later form factors are pretty conservative on purpose.

I still think the Gameboy Advance to the Gameboy Advance SP was like, a revelation. 😂 Much akin to the Gameboy to the Gameboy Advance.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

Evohp17XYAYNfZg

This is basically what I expect but for there to be a bit more buffer on the sides of the screen as otherwise depending on the size of your hands and how you hold it they could cover part of the the screen and that would be really annoying.

Nov 8, 2017
If they redesign the effing kickstand to be usable I'll be super happy.

This is basically what I expect but for there to be a bit more buffer on the sides of the screen as otherwise depending on the size of your hands and how you hold it they could cover part of the the screen and that would be really annoying.

Yes I expect basically that form factor - the picture in OP with a few milimeters extra width on the overall device. So very similar size but a not-quite-identical chassis.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
I like your change, it looks good. I do expect it to look more different than that, but it that's all it was I'd be happy with my new bezel-less Switch.

Goldbob

Sep 21, 2020
I doubt it'll happen but I'm hoping there wil be re-designed Joy Con Pros that are actually comfortable to hold.

Realistically it's coming with plain old joycons that still drift after four years.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'd be super down for that mockup in OP. Minimalized bezels go so far in making stuff feel better. That plus the OLED would make every game on Switch right now pop (for those of us who mostly play handheld) without any other changes made.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe they'll release the redesigned joycons from a few years ago.

ynHJUFQ.png

It's hard to imagine what exactly that would feel like but it's be great if they did something to improve the ergonomics. Between the weight and lack of anything to really grip onto, the Switch has always been extremely uncomfortable to use in handheld mode for me, it actually makes my hands start to fall asleep if I play for too long.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

Evohp17XYAYNfZg
This is pretty much what i'd expect, though the matching red and blue joycons makes the revision look too similar to the top 'OG' unit.
Depending on pricing, it's possible they may go with some sort of metallic body or another material to emphasize the premiumness of the product. The color scheme with definately be different. Probably more blacks/silvers/white/grey than the fun colors in the OG Switch

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a mock-up, but I hope for more robust/larger Joy-Cons with more usable (and drift-resistant) analog sticks, a proper d-pad, and make the -/+ buttons standard buttons with those symbols on them like the other face buttons. Or if they're going to keep them in those shapes, round off the edges so that they are more pleasant to press. Also, I don't even know if you really need the cartridge slot cover. That thing feels like it's going to snap off... if they keep it, make it nicer like a digital camera SD card slot with an actual hinge and not just flexible plastic.