• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which games do you usually buy on Switch?

• I only buy first party games

Votes: 555 23.4%
  • I buy both first and third party games

Votes: 1,612 67.9%
  • I mostly buy indie games and that's it

Votes: 143 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 64 2.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
70% first party, 20% indie, 10% third party.

Performance plays a big factor so some third party games are fine while others are dogshit. I am a handheld only player so some third party games are stuff that I've wanted to play portable for ages, like Diablo.

Indies are mostly fine since not a lot of them are demanding and usually play fine, but even then there are a lot of stinkers out there.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
Most of the time I buy more third party games. There are some first party stuff that I don't really consider "Nintendo games" (that I'm pretty sure would get me into trouble in communities like this).

Let's see...

Physical:

Splatoon 2
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
The World Ends with You
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
Disgaea Complete
Collection of Mana
Astral Chain
Xenoblade 2
Daemon X Machina
Dragon Quest XI
Pokémon Sword
Snack World
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Xenoblade DE
TLOZ: Link's Awakening
The Wonderful 101

(I just see 5 Nintendo games there, don't @me)

Digital:
Octopath Traveler
Breath of the Wild
Ninjala
Destiny Connect
Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Caligula Effect
Lost Sphear
Death Mark
(aaaand a bunch of Indie games)

In general, most Nintendo IPs aren't for me.

Oct 24, 2019
When I buy a Switch, I'll only be buying it for the first party content.

Every single third party AAA or indie game will go on my PS4/PS5

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I only buy exclusives on Switch since I don't care about the portability aspect and always play docked. If a game comes out at the same time on PS4/PC I won't get it on Switch.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I only buy Switch exclusives on my Switch.

I play on my TV 99% of the time so there's no way I'm buying third party games on Switch over Xbox/Playstation.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I buy first and third party but I often prefer to buy third party games on PS4 unless I think it's preferable for handheld play (I.e. something I can play with tv in the background)

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
I buy Nintendo first party and Japanese third parties that are exclusive to the system.

No interest in others.

Oct 27, 2017
I have one retail game - Civ 6 and the DLC

Golf Story & Marble It Up are my indies

I only have 8 games in total. My next is Hyrule Warriors in November. So, not really for myself.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Era is probably not representative of the whole userbase.

I am one of the weirdos who buys some some first party offerings (like XB, FE, anything Platinum) but skips the rest and plays mostly third party stuff on my NS.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath Traveller, Ori and Mario + Rabbids make up my third party collection on Switch.

I have no plans to buy something on Switch when there's a superior version available.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is my primary system so even if multiplats may look better elsewhere I'll still buy them for switch. 95% of what I play though is either switch exclusive or switch first tho.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I buy mostly first party and indie (if we're distinguishing those from 3rd party), and pick up exclusive jrpgs / jrpgs that feel better handheld on switch (Octopath, FF8, and FF9 come to mind).

I've def opted to go for ps4 when I didn't think the switch would run it as well (Valkyria Chronicles 4).

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I absolutely buy 3rd party, the selection is much wider than it's ever been for a Nintendo machine. Usually my 3rd party games are on PC, however.

Raggen

Oct 7, 2019
I would have sold my Switch a long time if it wasn't for the awesome indie games on it.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter on Switch is my most played game, actually. And I suspect the next one will be played at least as much.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
since the wii i only been buying Nintendo published games

on switch that changed, i started getting indie games people never stop talking about

3rd party games has been meh on nintendo since gamecube ended and i have a ps4 now so no need to buy 3rd party games at stupid prices on nintendo system vs always heveaily discounted on ps4

edwardvh

Dec 11, 2018
Hard to do when you got the same game on another platform, at 1/3 the price, with achievements, better graphics, no bugs and released three years ago.

Oct 28, 2017
Bronx, NY
For me, yes. While I won't list every game, I will list the ones I felt were more than worth it.

Mega Man 11 - Runs on Switch really well, and I feel that Mega Man is a better fit for Nintendo than the other platforms.

Octopath Traveler and Dragon Quest XI S - Excellent JRPGs from Square Enix.

Doom (2016) - Even with some compromises, the Switch version is really good!

Sonic Mania - The Definitive Sonic game to get on the Switch!

New Super Lucky's Tale - You want a good 3D Platformer to play? This is definitely a good time!

Mario + Rabbids - Great use of Mario Characters, mixed in with the Rabbids!

DragonBall FighterZ - Excellent version!

I also own ports of previous generations of games, such as the Resident Evil series, Tales of Vesperia, Okami, Final Fantasy, and many more! Also own Konami collections, Street Fighter Collection, and Mega Man Collections.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Of course I do.

But I know what to expect from a weaker console, the switch has other advantages in my mind. There are games that I would never think of buying on my PS4 but in my switch they instantly become much more desireable. Thanks to the portability.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
First party + indies for the most part. I have a few third parties like DQ11S and Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, but that's about it. For most third-party gaming I still use my PC.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Any game I want to play in bed I buy on the Switch. The game I have the most hours in is third-party, Binding of Isaac, the most recent game I bought on Switch was Trials of Mana.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The Switch is the only "current" platform that I own, so if there's a game I want to play, I'll buy it.

Civilization VI and Ni No Kuni just arrived over the weekend, actually; they were on sale for Gamestop's labor day promotion.

Still waiting on my Doom Eternal pre-order to ship. It's almost been six months since that game has seen release on other platforms. It'll be half price and receive all of its DLC by the time the base Switch release hits store shelves.

So much of Nintendo's releases are ports that I didn't end up buying most of 'em.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Not including indie games, I have:
-Civilization VI
-Final Fantasy VII
-Final Fantasy IX
-Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
-Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
-Okami HD
-Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
-Sonic Mania
-Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle if it counts
-Octopath Traveler (yeah, I know it was published by Nintendo in the west, but it's a Square Enix game)

Lots of third party games on my wishlist, too. I'm definitely more interested in third-party games on the Switch than I usually am, largely because they've been porting over significant games that haven't previously been available on Nintendo hardware. Any outright exclusives will at least have my attention.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I buy mostly third parties. Monster Hunter is both my most-played game and most anticipated release, and after that it's Dragon Quest, Skyrim and Ys even before Zelda and Fire Emblem.

I play a lot of indies too.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
I have like 100 games on my Switch, so definitely not mainly first party. This is probably the first Nintendo system where I had this many games.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
My Switch was used for a mix of a few first party games a year and any indie games I wanted to play portable, but at this point it's almost exclusively for first party games. I ran into too many Indie games with major performance issues, and I started getting them so cheap on PC (which I expect to have forward compatibility on future builds basically forever), that it just didn't make sense for me to bother buying them on Switch anymore, unless they're built around local multiplayer.

There are still a few third party games I'd be interested to play on Switch (primarly Crash 4 and Tony Hawk) that don't have a port announced, so I don't have any third party / indie games I expect to buy on Switch any time soon.