• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
UPDATE (Sept 20th, 2020): Added Minecraft Dungeons, The Bard's Tale ARPG, and Ori and the Will of the Wisps!

Considering today's (not so secret) announcement, I felt this would be the best time for a new entry in my "let's look over" series covering the Switch support of various 3rd-party publishers. And boy is this one a doozy.

Once upon a time, when the Earth was young, Microsoft allowed their studios and IPs to appear on Nintendo's portable systems due to them (even today) not being in the handheld race. This resulted in Rare still having ties to Nintendo after the MS buyout in 2002, with games like Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge on GBA, and later Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise on DS, and of course what DK games they were able to port/remake. We also saw games such as MechAssault: Phantom War and Age of Empires: The Age of Kings on DS via Backbone and Majesco. We even saw TWO Blue Dragon games on DS (vs. one 360 game, wat), with Blue Dragon Plus being developed by both feelplus and... Nintendo's own Brownie Brown (now 1UP Studio)... uhh... surprise!?

Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow on DS in 2010 by tri-Crescendo and Bandai Namco (localized by D3) would be the swan song in this early partnership. Possibly also because Rare's portable team was apparently absorbed into the main team to work on the Kinect, it seemed MS were switching gears for a new era, and that likely meant supporting Nintendo's portable systems wasn't worth it anymore. This meant no 3DS games (well, until one below).

Fast forward to 2014 when Microsoft bought Mojang and their Minecraft franchise. The game was very much "MS first" in that after its PC debut, MS and Mojang (and space) together brought the game to Xbox 360 back in 2012 and later XBO. Before the buyout, Sony would publish their versions of the game worldwide at retail with Mojang handling the digital versions themselves IIRC. Once MS bought them, things started happening.

2016 rolls around and not only does Minecraft come to Nintendo platforms for the very first time, but in Japan, MICROSOFT would handle publishing duties there, not Mojang (who would go solo in the west). However, there was a bit more. Microsoft had full involvement with the Wii U version, going as far to place their logo on the back cover, and even have their copyright be the first one shown. This was a legit Microsoft product on a Nintendo system again and not by association. Then the New 3DS version was released in 2017 (and in EU in 2018?) being the same. But that same year, the Switch released, and we get closer to the present.

Let's get to the Switch support:

switch_minecraft_box0jk84.png

Minecraft
Publisher: Mojang (NA and EU)/Microsoft Studios (JP)
Developer: Mojang (main game)/4J Studios (Switch port)/SkyBox Labs (Better Together update)
Release Date: May 11th, 2017 (NA eShop)/June 21st, 2018 (NA retail) (Too many other dates to list honestly lol)

The latest Nintendo version of the game, but also brought something never imagined before; FULL Xbox Live integration. That's right. Your Microsoft/Xbox account, real XBL Achievements, the works. And cross-play with all other supported platforms via the Better Together update that was by SkyBox. In another twist, we even got to see that old Bear and Bird and other MS IPs come over via skins, including the Halo Mash-Up Pack, no joke! Of course you also get the Nintendo-exclusive Super Mario Mash-Up Pack that was also on Wii U and later New 3DS, so you can be a blocky Banjo traversing the blocky Mushroom Kingdom. No really, you can!

switch_cuphead_box_esz8kgs.png

Cuphead
Publisher: Studio MDHR
Developer: Studio MDHR
Release Date: April 18th, 2019 (WW)

Microsoft were the ones to approach Studio MDHR about even getting Cuphead on Switch in the first place, AND there will be future XBL integration as well... we just don't know when. :P

Banjo-Kazooie in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Release Date: Fall 2019

Not a full game but may just well be the most important thing MS could've done for many. For the first time since Banjo-Pilot on GBA in 2005, Banjo-Kazooie (the real ones, not the blocky kind) make their return on Nintendo hardware as the 3rd DLC character. AND it's their first in a Nintendo-published game since Banjo-Tooie in 2000. Nintendo even got Grant Kirkhope (the first ever western composer in Smash) to create the song used in the reveal trailer, which you can check out here!

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
Publisher: Xbox Game Studios (formerly Microsoft Studios)
Developer: Moon Studios
Release Date: September 27th, 2019 (WW)

This is it. There's no getting around it. This is 1000% a Microsoft game on a Nintendo system, in full, published and everything. What seemed impossible many years ago is real. Ori was just freshly announced in the Aug 19th, 2019 Indie World presentation. It will for now be digital-only and will feature XBL integration as well (not clear IIRC if it's at launch or after). Read the announcement here!

minecraft-dungeons-heh6jaj.png

Minecraft Dungeons
Publisher: Mojang Studios (NA and EU)/Xbox Game Studios (JP)
Developer: Mojang Studios/Double Eleven
Release Date: May 26th, 2020 (WW)

This is a spin-off of Minecraft more directly by Mojang unlike other spin-offs like Story Mode. The Hero Edition is the physical edition released a few months later and is once again published directly by Microsoft in Japan (Bandai Namco published the PS4 version in Japan).

the-bards-tale-arpg-r1fjcz.png

The Bard's Tale ARPG: Remastered and Resnarkled
Publisher: InXile Entertainment
Developer:InXile Entertainment
Release Date: June 17th, 2020 (WW)

A curious listing, wouldn't you say? This was made long ago well before InXile were ever bought by Microsoft, so why include it? I'm telling you why! It's getting Xbox Live support in a future update! Oh and it's narrated by the late great Tony Jay, voice of Megabyte in ReBoot and Frollo in Hunchback of Notre Dame. Thus, you must buy it! :P

switch_oriww_box8sks8.png

Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Publisher: iam8bit
Developer: Moon Studios
Release Date: September 17th, 2020 (WW)

Most saw this coming, but few thought it'd be this soon. Just 6 months and a week after launching on XBO and PC, the sequel was released on Switch. It runs at 900p docked and 720p in portable mode and targets 60fps. VERY impressive feat considering the issues this game had at launch prior. Oddly iam8bit (who's released special physical soundtracks for the series) stepped in to publish it this time, including in Japan. Not only that, they are releasing both a fancy collector's edition that includes physical versions of both games, but also regular at retail editions of both games later this year. The bad news is that Xbox Live support is absent with no word yet if it'll be added later. Cuphead is still supposed to get it last we heard (well, the original announcement) so there's no reason for this not to.

###

I excluded New Super Lucky's Tale as that had no known involvement from Microsoft. Same with Hellblade as while that did come out not long after Microsoft bought Ninja Theory, there seems to be no real involvement from Microsoft (other than not cancelling it I guess?).

So that's about it for now! What do you think of Microsoft's Switch support so far and what do you want to see from them in the future on Switch?

Last edited:

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What about Nintendo's Microsoft Support?

Anyway, glad Switch is getting Cuphead and Ori. These games are awesome.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I would love to see Killer Instinct DE on Switch, but I suspect there's no way they could port it and maintain 60fps at a high resolution.

RARE Replay would be a near insta-pickup for me as well.

I am completely floored that Moon Studios was able to get Ori running at 1080p/720p 60fps. If there's no hidden warts, I am absolutely double dipping.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bring me Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, cowards.

I'll even buy Infinite Undiscovery if I have to

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Switch has more 3rd party sopport from Microsoft than Capcom.

Imagine posting that 5 years ago on the internet.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly had no idea that MS has more games on Switch than EA. That's *insanity*.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Microsoft is making some very clever strategic moves and most people seem to not see the forest for the trees.

The future isn't about which box you own.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great support. I would love to see Rare replay, Recore and Forza as well. Ori is day one, as Cuphead was

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Rare Replay seems like the next logical game to come over. Really hoping Nintendo will allow xcloud. That what I really want.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Microsoft is making some very clever strategic moves and most people seem to not see the forest for the trees.

I don't know about some of the early implementations (Stadia), but "software as a service" definitely seems to be Microsoft's focus. Office 365 and Game Pass are just two big examples (and what do you know, I now pay for both, after initially not caring about either). Taking the Xbox brand beyond the "box" definitely seems to be the next step.

Congratulations on today's announcement and the extremely positive reception, btw ;) I know I'll be buying it day one...it'll whet my appetite for Will of the Wisps =)

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Which engine does that use? And is a "high resolution" really that necessary? If MK11 is possible...
It's the now-defunct Double Helix Games' HEX Engine. There would undoubtedly be a ton of work involved in porting it. That's why I don't think it will ever happen, outside of the performance concerns. AFAIK, the engine was built around the XB1's specs and architecture.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's the now-defunct Double Helix Games' HEX Engine. There would undoubtedly be a ton of work involved in porting it. That's why I don't think it will ever happen, outside of the performance concerns. AFAIK, the engine was built around the XB1's specs and architecture.
Ok I see. Yeh that might be a bit much, especially for a game that isn't really being supported anymore.

(They still can't seem to even get the PC Game Pass version working correctly)

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
There's Hellblade, too! The port was started before the Microsoft buyout, but they let it proceed.

Rare Replay on the Switch (with their DKC games in place of the 360 titles?) would be great, though I won't hold my breath.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if part of the reason MS are putting some of their games on the Switch is to help bring aware to their brands to markets were they are weakest to like Japan, without directly helping their main competitor(Sony)?

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
About Rare Replay...

The Xbox 360 titles in that collection were made possible thanks to backwards compatibility on Xbox One. Not sure how much work it would be to port those to Switch.

I would love to see the older titles on Switch at least but again I do not know if entirely new emulators would have to be written or what.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

Think this says it all right here. (congrats btw!)

After this rumor about Ori was confirmed I feel like some kind of Game Pass/xCloud integration is more likely than ever before. (which is probably how you get MCC on Switch vs directly porting the entire collection)

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Think this says it all right here. (congrats btw!)

After this rumor about Ori was confirmed I feel like some kind of Game Pass/xCloud integration is more likely than ever before. (which is probably how you get MCC on Switch vs directly porting the entire collection)

I'm going to assume Halo MC will be possibly the OG ports and not their XBO versions?

The first two were OG Xbox games, with 3 and 4 being 360 games, plus Reach if that comes as well.

Halo 1 and 2 in the collection do feature the OG Xbox versions as a graphics mode you can toggle, so they can just use those straight up if needed. While Halo 3 and 4 can be straight 360 ports.

They would probably run better as a result as well. I can also see Saber or Armature handling the Switch ports as both worked on the collection and some of the games IIRC.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
remake dk64 thank you

I don't think they'd really need Rare/Microsoft for that? They own basically everything about DK64 minus stuff like the Jetpac minigame, which, honestly, I'd imagine they'd scrub out and replace with some other old Nintendo game if they were to ever remake/remaster it.

One of my dream collaborations would be an HD remaster of Diddy Kong Racing for Switch, done in the vein of CTR Nitro Fueled. Considering how easy it was for Banjo & Kazooie to be included in Smash Bros., it should be a cinch to bring back all the Rare characters, Banjo and Conker included (though the latter would be pretty weird in this day and age). Ideally, they'd also include all the extra DKR DS racers like Dixie, Tiny, Wizpig and Taj. Maybe for good measure, throw in some extra Kong family members like Lanky, Funky or even DK himself lol.

Of course, I'd be happy with just a simple re-release of the N64 version as it was.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Lost Odyssey? P-please?

(It won't happen, but ugh, would be a superb addition to the Switch's JRPG catalog.)

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Considering that the Rare Replay games require the emulation capabilities on the X1, without a complete remake of those games for whatever current gen we are on at the time, it ain't happening.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Ori and Cuphead are all well and good but let's skip ahead to the final stage of this partnership: RARE REPLAY

Considering that the Rare Replay games require the emulation capabilities on the X1, without a complete remake of those games for whatever current gen we are on at the time, it ain't happening.

I've always felt that DKC 1-3, DK64, and Diddy Kong Racing would be fine replacements for the 360 games they'd inevitably have to remove. Of course, Banjo-Kazooie, Tooie, and Perfect Dark are also the XBLA versions... but they could just use the N64 versions instead. Better than nothing. And hey, they could even go the extra mile and throw the Rare GBA games on there! I wouldn't mind playing It's Mr. Pants and Sabre Wulf on Switch.