• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I am 100% serious. Google is introducing two new gaming subscription plans and you say they "could not be more different"? Come on.

This is literally what Google does. Two similar services that attack a revenue source in different ways.
I don't think premium apps and AAA games are the same market, though. The people paying for cheap access to premium weather apps & mobile games aren't a complete overlap with the people who want to play AAA games on a streaming connection.

aLoneWalker

Attempted to create multiple alt accounts
Banned
Jul 16, 2019
You see a lot of drive-by posts of this kind in any Stadia related topic. (A quick example but there are many.)

It's become a meme -- but one with little backing. It's intellectually lazy and it's uninteresting.

Why is anyone using Chrome? Shouldn't you use Firefox since Google could shut it down? Better not backup your photos on Google Photos. That's probably going to get shut down soon and you'll lose all your pictures! And how about Android? Why are you investing in the Android ecosystem? Google will certainly end support for Android any day

Lmao best childish example ever. Hey! If you ain't buying a xbox one why are you using Windows 10?

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread aged like fine wine.

Stadia has launched, and I can already feel Google taking its knife out to end its life.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Brutal bump. But deserved. I still have my preorder up but my expectations are about as low as the entry price compared to actual consoles at this point. I give Google 3 years, tops, then they'll close it. Hopefully this launch failure will push MS to delay their service until it's actally ready, no need to rush the launch right now.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
This is why you don't listen to corporate PR regarding how a service works/will work. And track record is, yes, important.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm just trying to understand from Google's perspective what they were hoping to gain. I have to imagine at this stage of production they knew they were releasing a product that was not up to par. Was this just for kicks to see how the market would react? Dipping their toes into the gaming industry?

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just trying to understand from Google's perspective what they were hoping to gain. I have to imagine at this stage of production they knew they were releasing a product that was not up to par. Was this just for kicks to see how the market would react? Dipping their toes into the gaming industry?
It was basically now or never. Wait any longer and they would have to compete with MS and Sony.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Man, OP apparently got banned for a month for dismissing concerns of ethnic cleansing
tenor.gif

What a thread.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This thread aged like fine wine.

Stadia has launched, and I can already feel Google taking its knife out to end its life.
lol, I thought about this thread when the RDR 2 one on Stadia popped up.

The Verge article: cloud gaming comes down to earth.

Last edited:

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Conspiracy theory: OP got himself banned on purpose so he wouldn't have to respond to Stadia's failure

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
An interesting thing to me, and it's got ZERO press or public chatter, is that Nvidia's Nvidia NOW service offers something somewhat comparable to Stadia (at the low end) but has the benefit of allowing you to keep your games if(when) they shut it down.

Basically, it works like Stadia, but you don't buy games from Nvidia, you just use your own Steam/Epic/Origin account to play games on Nvidia's servers, which then stream to your device.

Who knows how good their streaming infrastructure is, or their latency/compression (it's still in beta), but it's an interesting counterpoint to Stadia's offering.

I don't expect Nividia's service to last very long (as it's got no market penetration) but you don't lose anything if/when it disappears.

You called it TBH more than you knew.

Nvidias streaming option, imperfect as it may be, crushes Stadia currently. I wonder if the Stadia offices are pulling an all nighter right now, scrambling to get PR under control.

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
As a founder who ordered late in the game (still a founder), I've been watching this mess unfold in relative amazement. It puts into context just how tuned in Sony and Microsoft are when it comes to what gamers want/need.

I don't have a code yet, checked my email three times today, and the third time... I got a Project xCloud invite. Brutal.

ieu

Oct 26, 2017
Mid Wales
As a founder who ordered late in the game (still a founder), I've been watching this mess unfold in relative amazement. It puts into context just how tuned in Sony and Microsoft are when it comes to what gamers want/need.

I don't have a code yet, checked my email three times today, and the third time... I got a Project xCloud invite. Brutal.

On the contrary, it reveals how little Google knows about what normal ass people want from products. I watched the Gamers Nexus video and was floored by how daft it all was getting to step zero.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil

From Stadia Reddit

So, where do we stand?
  • As expected, there haven't been any further updates in January after the "120 game mystery bonanza" (other than February pro games, which we still don't know)
  • Still supposedly 2+ months out until 4k on browser, any Assistant functionality at all, and the true wireless controller functionality advertised
  • 120 games coming but none revealed so far
  • Pixel phone remains the only Android phone with Stadia functionality
  • Still no mention of iOS
  • Still no mention at all of Stadia base
  • Still no mention of family sharing
  • Still no acknowledgement that they've read and/or are listening to the community (or plan on bettering their communication model)
  • Daily updates, scrapped for weekly updates, scrapped for... bi-monthly updates?

These are the main issues I can think of off the top of my head, so feel free to add anything that you think they could be doing better. I don't think it's absurd to expect anything other than complete radio silence from a hyped product/service launch that had a $130 buy-in.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
You called it TBH more than you knew.

Nvidias streaming option, imperfect as it may be, crushes Stadia currently. I wonder if the Stadia offices are pulling an all nighter right now, scrambling to get PR under control.

Nvidia still doesn't have a released product, just like people were bullish on Stadia up until The actual product released...

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Err, it's not even out of January, wasn't all this expected?

Edit: I do get concern over radio silence. I'm waiting for Stadia free to try it out as well.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
They better be preparing a major event to give this a push or it won't reach its second year. It's easy to imagine that many of those 120 games have changed their minds by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.