• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Jeff from giantbomb had a good thought on this. Basically without it being a subscription service for games, at this point in time I dont see it being more reliable than a local system. And thus why would someone buy the subscription only to have to buy each individual game that may or may not work as good as a local game.
Because you can take it with you anywhere and play on any smart device. That's the whole sell here.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Why should i care if a Stadia game is running on the best of hardware if the internet infrastructure won't let me appreciate it? For most people, running a game on PS5/XBox will get them a better experience than on Stadia. Most likely. If that is not true, then they need to show it. And i don't mean in a controlled presentation 200ft from a server farm.
You shouldn't care, but you're knocking it without even trying it. Early real world results are quite positive as someone already posted the link here. #447
Cyberpunk 2077 isn't confirmed for PS5/Scarlet yet we've no idea when it will happen.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeff from giantbomb had a good thought on this. Basically without it being a subscription service for games, at this point in time I dont see it being more reliable than a local system. And thus why would someone buy the subscription only to have to buy each individual game that may or may not work as good as a local game.
That has been my thought since it was revealed it wasn't the Netflix of games. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed its an echo chamber comment that gets repeated into existence. That website is basically the cod boycott pic.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Because you can take it with you anywhere and play on any smart device. That's the whole sell here.
That can already be done with remote play though. I think their big sell here is that you can play games at 4K 60fps on any device for 10$ a month + whatever the game cost. The question is if people buy it, personally I'm still not sold on it but for those that are I hope Google succeeds and keep this alive for many years.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
zmeme.jpg

At least it's a meme now
God bless you for this.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That can already be done with remote play though. I think their big sell here is that you can play games at 4K 60fps on any device for 10$ a month + whatever the game cost. The question is if people buy it, personally I'm still not sold on it but for those that are I hope Google succeeds and keep this alive for many years.
Remote play requires you buy a console

with this you get remote play for no extra cost

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My internet is pretty good and I have no data cap, but I still prefer my gaming to be rendered locally so as to not deal with unnecessary lag. Games are buggy enough as it is anyway.
I don't see me having any problems from streaming because I already do it on GeForce now, so I rather save money

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Come on, you know perfectly well what I mean. I can already remote play my PS4 games. And when I buy a PS5 I'm buying it for the games that will never be released on Stadia.
I want to get some ps5 exclusives too, I hope I can just get them on PSnow though

stadia will have exclusives too eventually

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I want to get some ps5 exclusives too, I hope I can just get them on PSnow though

stadia will have exclusives too eventually

PS5 exclusives will most likely get on PS Now eventually, and whatever exclusives Stadia gets I'm looking forward to seeing them. But as of right now I am not sold on Stadia yet. I know you are which is great, I hope you'll enjoy it a lot.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Google Stadia: image quality testing
If you have a very wide internet connection, Stadia supports 4K video at 60 frames per second with HDR support. However, based on conversations with Google, we expect that 1080p streaming is more likely to be the norm on connections with around 25mbps of bandwidth. Stadia will go lower, dropping down to 720p60 with connections in the region of 15mbps - but having seen it in action with an artificial cap in place, it's clear that fast action causes obvious artefacts on a large, living room display. Google itself considers this to be a 'worse case scenario'.
-

This worst case scenario sounds like it might be the norm. You boot this up with a 200mbps and you are seeing artifacts due to streaming you won't be happy. Who would? This is not a legitimate substitute for a home console. It's for people who don't have data caps and want to game on various screens /on the go.

Google has complimentary service here. And I believe there is a target audience. I also think it will be killed off by google.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
OP you make the point yourself--Google ruthlessly shuts down unsuccessful ventures. If Stadia fails and its users get left out in the cold, that's whole problem; it doesn't matter if that's not many people, the issue is that it happens at all.

No one wants to invest themselves in a platform with no future.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
You shouldn't care, but you're knocking it without even trying it. Early real world results are quite positive as someone already posted the link here. #447
Cyberpunk 2077 isn't confirmed for PS5/Scarlet yet we've no idea when it will happen.
I tried project stream and even then the delay was comparable to playing on a TV, the video compression on the other hand is a huge eye sore and I would never want to play a game in that way.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 exclusives will most likely get on PS Now eventually, and whatever exclusives Stadia gets I'm looking forward to seeing them. But as of right now I am not sold on Stadia yet. I know you are which is great, I hope you'll enjoy it a lot.
Yea I pretty much look forward to anything that can save me money without much compromise

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's all FUD, OP, and this thread went exactly how you'd expect from a group of people that are both scared as fuck that it will actually be successful and scared as fuck of change, in general. People don't want Google in gaming and they don't want streaming to be a thing, so it's obvious where the majority of this shit is coming from.

I wouldn't worry, though. The history of people being right or knowing wtf they are talking about around here is pretty anemic, so Stadia will be fine, even with all the cheerleading for its death.

"scared as fuck"

Literally no one is scared about another google project that's probably destined for cancellation.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I doubt most people have internet quality equivalent to Eurogamer's. The largest tech website in the UK.

They got decent results streaming at 1080p, which is a far cry from 4k. Which is the promise being sold. That's not even better than current hardware.

I'm not 'knocking it before i try it', i'm simply wary of salesmen telling me how awesome their product is. Everyone should be.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
This could be the biggest disruption to traditional gaming since smartphones. Can it carve out a permanent niche like them? No clue. People seem happy with remote though.

However, Google will kill it if it becomes too expensive to maintain.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
It'll only work in places with a good enough Internet connection though. Apparently they won't even allow you to play on cellular data at launch.

If you want to actually take games "anywhere", you need to buy a proper handheld like a Switch.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
There are people that backed the OUYA. These are the people picking up Stadia day one. They plan on picking up playdate in the future.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt most people have internet quality equivalent to Eurogamer's. The largest tech website in the UK.

They got decent results streaming at 1080p, which is a far cry from 4k. Which is the promise being sold. That's not even better than current hardware.

I'm not 'knocking it before i try it', i'm simply wary of salesmen telling me how awesome their product is. Everyone should be.

I mean, they didn't have a chance to test 4k, but it's reasonable to think the results would be similar.

Also, their test was over WiFi, so 166ms over WiFi is pretty impressive. They also forced their connection down to 15mbs and still got 188ms.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
There are people that backed the OUYA. These are the people picking up Stadia day one. They plan on picking up playdate in the future.
With a post like this it seems you don't understand any of the three products you listed aside from "they new"

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
They will.

Enthusiast gamers already own consoles and gaming PCs.

There aren't any killer apps to bring people specifically to the platform.

Competitive gamers and Twitch/YouTube creators won't touch it.

Casual gamers are happy with their phones.

Like Steam Machines, there is no market.
There's definitely a demographic this could cater for. The people who just buy yearly releases of FIFA, Madden, NBA, CoD, etc, which make up the largest chunk of the console market. They don't really have a need to buy a $400 piece of hardware for that, especially not when Stadia is so much more portable and hassle free. Google just needs to secure the games and market it well.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem is threefold. One, Google's history of killing off projects. Two, in an era where it feels less and less like you own your games, this is taking even the local install out of your hands. Three, I think a lot of people don't believe the tech is here yet. I only believe it's ready because I played half of AC Odyssey on Project Stream. I think people will need a free trial of something like Destiny 2 to really sink their teeth in and believe without any risk.

sandweed

May 8, 2018
some users weird obsession with defending huge billion dollar companies on this here forum is very strange.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Stadia gets shut down in a few years, it will be because it failed and no one -- or almost no one -- will have bothered to use it.
If I buy a Wii U and some games for it, those games are fully playable even though no one else bothered to buy it. The risk here is that some online servers may shut down, which would affect some games with online components, but even when the eShop on the Wii U is finally put to bed, any games I bought physically or already have on the hard drive will still be playable in at least an offline capacity.

If I buy a bunch of games on Stadia, but not enough other people buy into Stadia, I risk losing all of those purchases in their entirety if Google decides to pull the plug, because they only exist on Google's servers. "No one - or almost no one" is irrelevant to anyone who falls into the "almost no one" category. Anyone who buys into it does so at the risk that their library goes up in smoke, at whatever level of risk they determine that to be.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I buy a Wii U and some games for it, those games are fully playable even though no one else bothered to buy it. The risk here is that some online servers may shut down, which would affect some games with online components, but even when the eShop on the Wii U is finally put to bed, any games I bought physically or already have on the hard drive will still be playable in at least an offline capacity.

If I buy a bunch of games on Stadia, but not enough other people buy into Stadia, I risk losing all of those purchases in their entirety if Google decides to pull the plug, because they only exist on Google's servers. "No one - or almost no one" is irrelevant to anyone who falls into the "almost no one" category. Anyone who buys into it does so at the risk that their library goes up in smoke, at whatever level of risk they determine that to be.
I know the risks and I'm fine with it because i rarely replay games anyway, but I don't expect them to shut it down anyway

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Google will quickly stop supporting their products if they're not successful out of the gate, then kill them. Time will tell if Stadia is one of those things, but i have very low expectations.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Yep, this is the biggest worry I have with Stadia.

Your purchase is forever dependent on the service being live, and with Google's ruthless track record I just don't know if I trust that they're going to be the company to back in this race.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

You can't take it literally anywhere. You can take it some places that have excellent internet connections.

Good luck using Stadia in a hotel, for one example. A Switch or PS4 or laptop will work just fine in a hotel, same with an iPad or iPhone. Meanwhile, Stadia is dead in the water without a great connection. That's just one scenario, there are plenty of others.

The "whole sell here" doesn't make sense to most of us because there are lots of limitations and very few benefits.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I tried project stream and even then the delay was comparable to playing on a TV, the video compression on the other hand is a huge eye sore and I would never want to play a game in that way.
What was your connection speed?

i agree there is no need to jump the gun day one. I think most people who frequent forums would make an informed decision. Makes sense to see how early adopters in your area are experiencing it and then make the jump. Its also worth keeping in mind that the less tech savy customers are more likely to be base their decision on word of mouth and they'd be satisfied with less than ideal response times or video compression. The promise is also playing AAA games without owning a $400 machine and that is bound to appeal to many, even at 1080p.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
People keep linking Killedbygoogle yet like 70-80% of whats on that page are either really insignificant things or even just forks of other bigger projects like Youtube Leanback.

Most people on here are too short sighted I think. Google is going to swing for the fences on this one and it has radically more investment both time and money wise into Stadia than most of its projects. I think the ultimate end-game for Stadia is getting a stadia app on Smart TVs.

The tech is there. The broadband penetration and speed are there and I think data cap worries are extremely overblown. I think Stadia will find a healthy market with a casual market as well as being a complementary gaming service for more core gamers. I don't think its going to be a landscape changing thing but it will find its mark and an audience.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm thinking Sony and Microsoft will push back and force Google out with their own offerings. The only thing Stadia has going for it is this very narrow window before next gen hardware is available both for the consoles and the streaming platforms, once those are ready and we see what sort of business model both Sony and MS have planned I think the desire to use Stadia will dry up. Then there's the matter of exclusives and however many years it's going to take Stadia to develop any of their own unless they start tossing a lot of money around to secure anything worthwhile.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Because OP said so? Seems legit.

There's more risk that Google shuts the Stadia experiment down early due to poor performance than either Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft shutting down their next consoles. That is basically undeniable.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
some users weird obsession with defending huge billion dollar companies on this here forum is very strange.

People aren't defending Google just because it's Google. There is nothing wrong with being excited for a product and being hopeful that it will turn out. That doesn't make the proponents for it some kind of corporate shill.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think its "defending billion dollar companies" to call out people making baseless claims about a product they have not tried and have no intention of trying. If Stadia is a failure then its a failure. But for fucks sake at least judge the thing on its own merits. There is a difference between being skeptical and outright dismissive.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Haven't seen a legit response in this topic.
Countless people here have raised perfectly legit points about Google killing off underperforming services, as well as how various cloud-gaming services have tended to underperform. Being excited for Stadia is all well and good, but it is no excuse to be willfully ignorant and just plug your ears to other viewpoints.

Status
Not open for further replies.