• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The US has 330 million people, 100 million+ households.

Nintendo, after almost 3 years and a console revision, has only sold 15 million Switches -- and that's considered a success! That's a penetration rate of less than 5%.

Sure many of the other 95% probably have no interest, but there are still millions and millions of people out there that would probably enjoy playing switch games but don't own one.

That is kind of the market Stadia is targeting. There are a lot of people that play mobile games because they are free or cheap and they already own a phone but aren't willing to buy a console.
You're half right. That is indeed the market that will be heavily into Stadia. But that's not the market that Google is actively marketing towards. Do those millions of people even know that Stadia is a thing? If you walk up to someone playing a mobile game on the street, will they know what Stadia is? Hell, I've got gamer friends that don't even know what it is. They're marketing this product at the exact people that won't buy it.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, wait. Let's break this down. You said you trade in all your games, what is the average return you get doing that?
Idk I don't buy many games
This gen I've bought 2 microsoft exclusives
5 - 7 Sony exclusives
and 5 - 7 multiplatform games
A lot of indies but most of those aren't tradable

if I got 25$ for each those that would be around 350$

If I use ps now, xcloud, stadia I don't have to buy any hardware next gen saving me 1,200$ - 1,500$ after I pay for my sub costs. Im only going to sub when I see a game I want to buy or use the free version of stadia, I'll probably sub to stadia pro every once in awhile to play games like cyberpunk in 4k

so I save 850$ - 1150$ even when I factor no more trade ins

Last edited:

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If you wanna try out Stadia do so. I'd just suggest not going all-in unless having some full price rentals that disappear is ok with you.
Yeah, I'll probably pop $60 for just Cyberpunk or Avengers out of curiosity. No way am I investing 100% in Stadia unless the data cap problem is solved and Google demonstrates somehow that Stadia is not another Daydream VR or Allo.

Oct 30, 2017
If it's not an absolute smash hit or hen they'll probably shutter it within 5 years. Google has not earned the benefit of the doubt with its history.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely in another class than stuff like Inbox or their various random side projects, but there is no way this is staying alive for more than a few years. Google's not being smart going all in on streaming, right now when internet quality is so variable and local play is so entrenched. Microsoft has the right idea of marrying streaming with their other services.
You can't even get Stadia without a Founders Edition yet. There's a reason for that. All of that will be changed by the time it's released for the general public.
There's early access, and then there's not having bluetooth connectivity working when it can also only be used with things that don't have a lot of ports. This isn't ready for consumers by any stretch of the imagination.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
this is 6 years out of date

google-graveyard.png

Oh man, I loved Google Reader.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, there's a bit more legitimate concern here as users are being asked to pay for the individual games in addition to the service. If they can this thing in a couple years, you're not going to be able to play those games anymore.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who lives in a city where they started laying down fiber and then bounced, after local government fought for them against AT&T legal bull shit, no. Absolutely not, miss me with all of that. I will not invest into a library of games with them, which completely disappears if they decide it's not really the market they want to be in. If they drop Gmail... I can forward everything to a new inbox. When hangouts goes away I just move to a new chat app (ive only got one friend still using it, so no big loss). YouTube goes away? Anyone whose content I care about still owns their content and takes it to another service. Stadia? Paying $60 for rights to access a game? If there was a guarantee for transfer of license when they go down, I'd be taking it seriously. But we all know that isnot happening g.

Oct 25, 2017
It could easily be killed, like any service/product. It's a valid argument that needs to be addressed. For people to be okay with this cloud gaming thing, the games need to be doled out Netflix-style. There's a reason you can't buy movies on Netflix, or music on Spotify... Google needs to recognize that games ought to be similar, if this streaming thing is going to be sustainable.

Also have to believe that if Stadia does fail and it has to shut down sooner than they'd like, that their deep pockets would be willing to "appease" those who did purchase full-priced games. Wouldn't count on it, but I think they have to realize the backlash they'd receive if their loyal Stadia customers were to suddenly lose access to things they paid good money for.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Stadia will fail because of latency. Internets not there. It might be okay for sp but no way in hell you'll be able to stream a game like MW and still get 25 ping without damn good internet. Casual base doesnt want Doom Eternal they want Fortnight and it WILL be a worse experience on Stadia because higher ping is guaranteed. Especially in big house holds.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It's not "absurd" though. Google have a very tangible history of eventually doing this to any product that isn't a hit.

While there are arguments to be made about how long they might give it to find success, they have to demonstrate that they're in this for the long haul and until they do, there will be skeptics who have a point.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
"Gamers" are afraid of change .. which is dumb because it's one of the fastest changing industries.
i agree that they're afraid of change, or maybe not afraid of it but more resistant to it because they get set in their ways and any change that messes with what they learned makes them mad. although this isn't that because im referring to games themselves and not the platform you play it on. the bigger concern imo is latency, it's a deal breaker for many people for good reason. and then there's no compelling google originals or the customization available on pc and it doesn't really bode well for the argument that stadia shutting down is absurd.

Oct 25, 2017
Do they?

Compared to Gmail? Compared to Search? Compared to Maps?

What does somebody playing Assassin's Creed for an hour tell you about them? What sort of personal data do you get from people playing video games to help you sell things that aren't video games?

If your argument is that people using Stadia will create data that will help Google sell things on Stadia... that's a rather circular argument.

It's a good thing that's not my argument, but thanks for trying to come up with it for me.

Google already have Gmail, Search, and Maps. The data Stadia produces doesn't need to be compared with that. It's another type of data for Google to capitalise on. On a very basic level, they can use that to recommend games, yes, and Youtube videos (Stadia and Youtube are heavily integrated after all), which generates more ad revenue.

But the data isn't just there for Google. We already know that publishers gather a lot of data on how the player interacts with their games. But their analytics will never match Google's, that's something you can bet Google will be selling back to them. The reason Netflix has been so successful is because they have analytic tools to determine what people are watching and to generate content to meet that. If someone is going to build the equivalent for games, why not Google.

At the end of the day, Google wouldn't be investing in Stadia if they didn't see it fitting into their business model. I'm sure they have a lot of ideas on how to capitalise off of it. Whether the platform is enough of a success for them to take it that far remains to be seen, but saying at this point that it doesn't fit into their business strategy when some of the literally highest paid business analysts in the world have already decided it fits and given it the go ahead is asinine.

Oct 26, 2017
Desert Land
What do people think Google are going to kill exactly? Google Cast Ultra's are already being made and that is already selling pretty well the pad doesn't really matter as you will be able to use other pads on PC'S. All you have left is the service which of they kill they would have to take people's $60 purchases away and I can't see Google doing that and not facing a massive class action lawsuit.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's money you can use to buy new games or save up for new hardware. When Stadia shuts down or games stop being supported you'll most probably get nothing back.

I don't see how this is on equal terms, let alone a better proposition.
When it's all said and done I save 850$ - 1150$ next gen, that's if PSnow and xcloud work the same as stadia next gen which I hope they do

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do people think Google are going to kill exactly? Google Cast Ultra's are already being made and that is already selling pretty well the pad doesn't really matter as you will be able to use other pads on PC'S. All you have left is the service which of they kill they would have to take people's $60 purchases away and I can't see Google doing that and not facing a massive class action lawsuit.
Oh that will be covered in the EULA that no one will read.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Google will still shut Stadia down once it fails hard enough.

A year or two after PS6 and Xbox Beyond are released in 2027, people will be making threads and posts asking:

"Remember that Stadia game streaming service Google had?"

HavakPkmn

Feb 13, 2019
Manchester
I've only glanced over the OP and while I do agree with most points, this is my general stance on why I think people are a bit more worried about something like Stadia:

Gaming, no matter what we think on forums like this, makes up a smaller minority than believe it does - at least in the hardcore sense. In relation to how much money it is costing Google to do this and what they're likely to get back in return initially, I'd say it's the biggest margin out of any other development project they have attempted. If this doesn't work, it is definitely the most at risk of being canned.

They are targeting a niche market with something that has an astronomical cost. It is a huge risk at this point in time.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
You said it yourself. If something isn't a big hit for them they shut it down. There is no indication that Stadia is going to be a hit. In fact, I'd say there is very little interest.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When it's all said and done I save 850$ - 1150$ next gen, that's if PSnow and xcloud work the same as stadia next gen which I hope they do

Hey if it appeals to you, go for it. Just understand that you are clearly in the minority when it comes to Era, and quite frankly, i doubt the audience at large will have much interest in it either.

Here's the thing. Stadia would be having a much warmer reception if it were the other way around from what you say. It should itself be looking to emulate and improve on PSNow and xCloud. The fact they are expecting people to pay 60 bucks per title to stream games they might or might not have access to in a couple of years is the greatest roadblock beyond technical limitations. If they had a Netflix type solution many more people would be interested as the prospects of being burned would be much smaller.

People are saying why they are not interested and Stadia believers are just putting their heads in the sand and refusing to hear it, while calling it memes. Good luck with that.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey if it appeals to you, go for it. Just understand that you are clearly in the minority when it comes to Era, and quite frankly, i doubt the audience at large will have much interest in it either.

Here's the thing. Stadia would be having a much warmer reception if it were the other way around from what you say. It should itself be looking to emulate and improve on PSNow and xCloud. The fact they are expecting people to pay 60 bucks per title to stream games they might or might not have access to in a couple of years is the greatest roadblock beyond technical limitations. If they had a Netflix type solution many more people would be interested as the prospects of being burned would be much smaller.

People are saying why they are not interested and Stadia believers are just putting their heads in the sand and refusing to hear it, while calling it memes. Good luck with that.
it is improving on PSnow and xcloud
4k 60 fps
New 3rd party games not just old ones
a free option
controller that connects directly to server

if that's not improving on PSnow and xcloud then idk what is, I hope PSnow and xcloud can do all of this eventually

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It is possible, if it lands like wet fart and doesn't pick up the pace in projected amount of time, they might can it.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
User warned: hostility
The amount of FUD regarding Stadia is really surprising in this forum.

It's ok to be skeptical, I'm skeptical too, but a lot of posters are downright aggressively defensive. Each Stadia thread is bombarded with drive-by shitposts like "why would anyone use it", "it's completely pointless", "Google will shut it down quickly" and so on.
There's also a constant amount of misinformation being thrown around like "You need to pay monthly to play" or "You need to buy 120$ hardware to start using it", none of which is correct. Stadia Basic is free and you current hardware most likely supports it. I though Google's marketing is very clear about it and I don't want to assume that posters here are complete idiots that don't understand this concept of game streaming.

My best explanation is fear that streaming services will make fanboys' precious hardware less important. Because when you can't measure your penis length in teraflops, how else will you prove that you're superior on the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.