• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this board can sometimes really dig into negativity, and it's time to try and turn that around! There have been plenty of great games that have come out this year. What is a moment from one of them (or any game really) that's really stuck with you or made you happy?

Getting to play New Pokemon Snap at launch and diving in without a guide was incredible for me. Exploring things, sharing things in the OT that I'd seen that others hadn't, I haven't felt that sense of discovery since I was a kid. I played six hours the night it launched and while I'm getting too old to stay up past 3am, it was worth it. Just pure joy in a very happy game with fiendishly difficult puzzles to solve and an overwhelming amount of secrets. I felt like a kid again in the best way possible.

What about you, Era? Let's post our positive gaming stories!

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
I didn't play Hades until this year, but beating each of the bosses the first time felt amazing. Theseus in particular was really annoying to me and it felt great when I was finally able to get past him... Even if he killed me the next 4 times in a row or whatever.

ConvoyJon

Nov 11, 2020
Beating the first boss in Returnal with barely a shred of health left got my blood pumping and led me to celebrate by popping off right after. Something about that moment just felt triumphant and I felt rather accomplished afterward.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It Takes Two. So many moments, but the
Rainbow Road
homage at the end was transcendent.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
During most of my FF8 playthrough, I didn't really understand how Junctions work, and had pretty low stats. I still managed to beat the Giant Cactuar optional boss and get the GF for that, and it felt awesome accomplishing that. I mostly just abused summons very carefully. After that I had to figure out junctions to proceed though lol.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Beating a gigantix in PSO2 NGS

A full 32 players room, and we barely managed to win.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NieR Replicant not fucking up the inclusion of Ending E to the point where it makes the original story feel incomplete without it.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
I didn't play The Vanishing of Ethan Carter till this year and ...wow.. an experience I won't soon forget . It was definitely something . I played on Switch so kinda nerfed but on PC I can only imagine .

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I played through the entire Resident Evil series for the first time this year, culminating with playing Village on release date. What a wonderful ride that was, I had dismissed this series as being not for me for so long and that was definitely a mistake. Resident Evil 2 (PS1), REmake and Resident Evil 4 are games that I will without a doubt be revisiting in years to come.

Out of new releases, Hitman III caps off one of the best trilogies of last gen for me - I spent hours in the murder mystery mansion level. Incredibly clever map design as always and I am very much looking forward to seeing what the devs do with the 007 license.

This one isn't a new game, but I have just finished The Outer Wilds for the first time, and that really blew me away - I was glued to that game for three days straight, highly recommend it to everyone interested in space exploration type games.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciated RE8 for having different types of horror and the pacing. Doesn't feel overly long or padded except for maybe the last lord's area. There was a solid 2 month period there where I would just lay on my couch after working playing Monster Hunter Rise for hours. It was satisfying just having things click several hours into the game.

y0shizawa

May 3, 2021
Walking through a pocket dimension rift in ratchet and clank never gets old when it's as seamless as it is — definitely my highlight moment of the year

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The whole Intermission from FF7 Remake Intergrade (actually, watching Max play it because I still cant find a PS5 xD). That game brings me so much joy, can't wait to replay the entire game once I get a PS5

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The end segment of RE8. I just loved what they did with Ethan, totally made me do a 180 on his character.
Pretty much all of R&C Rift Apart - beautiful game that's a joy to explore the areas.
Returnals bosses - epic moments, boss 3 and 4 especially are so darn good.
100%ing Yakuza 6 - just because its a blast to play, and I always wanted to 100% it rather than "just" plat'ing the game.
GnG Resurrection (true final boss) - in traditional GnG fashion, a nice tough challenge that feels really satisfying when finally clearing the game for the second time.
GG Strive's netcode - just nice to play a fighter that loads quick and plays smooth online.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Getting lost in Hitman 3's Berlin nightclub. The whole thing just made me fall in love with the trilogy all over again and I went back and did pretty much every single challenge in the first two games as well. The game was really a great surrogate for travel during quarantine and busy online classes. Going to exotic places, parties, exploring the world.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
I played Hellblade this year and the entire game minus some of the puzzles was an absolute masterpiece. Absolutely loved it, the developers, and the message. It's a reminder that a game doesnt have to be "fun" to be an outstanding experience.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The first few minutes of Chicory: A Colorful Tale kind of restored my faith in everything. :) It's just so wonderfully charming and you can tell it's made with care.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil Village

When Heisenberg calls Chris a "boulder-punching asshole" and you realize Chris is apparently known throughout the RE universe for punching a boulder that one time.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart

Clank: Holy [bleep]...
Ratchet: You said it, pal!

Nov 8, 2017
Currently playing through Yakuza Like a Dragon. The whole game so far has been a delight. 30 hours in and I want to keep going. This is my first Yakuza game and it has been amazing.

Definitely one of my favorite turn based games in a long time.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of moments in Paper Mario TOK, but this in particular was really really good.

Spoilers for a late game area.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rounding up from December, but most of Yakuza: Like a Dragon. I wish I had a friend like Ichiban.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
The build up and boss fight of the fourth biome in Returnal. The fight itself is incredible but the music....holy shit. So good.

Even better when you find out later in the game what real life song it's actually based off of and how it ties in with Selene's story.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Yakuza Like a Dragon in January. It kept all the classic JRPG tropes I enjoy and got rid of most of the ones I'm tired of. I don't really mind if a game is as deep as a 16 bit Dragon Quest if it can give me a fresh environment and set of characters for JRPGs.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
FF7R: Intermission - just all of it. More amazing music, Yuffie's combat and personality being perfect, much like how they handled the rest of the party in the main game, and that ending CG cutscene that just. kept. going!

Makes me so excited for Part 2, whenever it drops. Square has done a really good job with it so far, imo.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a particular moment, but playing Beat Saber with custom songs has been such a joy for me. I especially love encountering new patterns that would have previously made my body and mind trip over each other and casually slicing my way through that section of the song. I need to give it more time, but Beat Saber honestly might be my favorite game.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Hades spoilers:

Beating Hades with Extreme Measures 4 turned, with 16 heat. I legit screamed and stood up out of my chair after he went down on his third life

And then 100%ing the game with all achievements and prophecies.

Need to do 32 heat next but my mind isn't ready for that yet.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Can Advance Wars being revealed at the Nintendo Direct count? I had really given up and now it's back, I can't wait.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
When I heard
Nao Toyama
sing in Jugdment, I had no idea she was in the game, quite a nice surprise.

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
Beating the superbosses in FF7:Intermission, made me feel great! Also completing almost all content FFXIV has to offer with my friends this year has been neat, I've played since the 1.0 beta but I've never had such a large group of fun people to play with

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The cutscene where you get the winter suit in Miles Morales, getting the black and gold suit, and using special attacks with the bodega suit

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah same as you OP... I just play New Pokemon Snap after getting burnout from Monster Hunter Rise (350hrs ++ lol). Its a pure joy playin New Pokemon Snap. Its relaxing, excitng and just pure fun seeing those Pokemon running around and discover new one.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Playing Final Fantasy 7 remake. I really like the characters in the game. even npcs, they always put me in a good mood.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I just had a son in Wildermyth, and in his first adventure he was about to be struck down and killed and I was given the option to jump into the attack and protect my son by shielding him with my body.

This made me happy.

We both survived, though my character now has perm health damage from the attack.