• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Water

• I like it in real life, but not in games

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I like it in real life and in games

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • I hate water. Water sucks!

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Dude, it's just water

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Water must prove itself to me in a game before I will accept it.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I just like the aesthetic of the ocean

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • I LIVE FOR WATER

Votes: 11 15.7%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Don't post pictures, names, or otherwise low-content posts that are too vague to understand or don't contribute much to discussion

I have a particular love for Jet Stingray's ocean escape from Mega Man X4.

hqdefault.jpg

Mega%2BMan%2BX4%2B100%2525%2B%2528Zero%2529.mp4_snapshot_16.31_%255B2016.07.09_11.57.46%255D.png

Here's my reasoning:

+Awesome music that gets you in the mood for a fast paced chase sequence
+You get to ride a futuristic jet ski
+It's a auto-scrolling level that doesn't feel too challenging or frustrating, and is over pretty quickly
+This creates a nice change in pace from the other, more traditional stages
+You can pop sick energy wheelies
+You're actively chasing down the boss before you get to his boss room, a real rarity in the Mega Man franchise
+The flavor text in his intro is badass

Mega%20Man%20X%20Collection_2e3d16b948691d6214adabd2bb88f68b1433730585-full.png

This means that, unlike most bosses who are attempting to do something bad, he actually already succeeded and now you have to chase him down and make him pay for it.

It's a really great stage all around.

What are some oceans in games you enjoy? It could be for any reason.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
The Great Sea from Wind Waker

maxresdefault.jpg

Add in the music, and you arguably have the best sense of "adventure" in any game.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I like it in real life, and sometimes in games. Underwater/swimming mechanics can be really annoying, but the aesthetic is usually cool.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good ol Wave Race 64.

Somehow still my favorite water simulation in a video game. It just feels so wonderful.

b4qErk9.gif

Za8dtjk.gif

wXObIBc.gif

NjsRlAR.gif

YBLz8fU.gif

The last technically isn't the ocean but whatever. :P

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Good ol Wave Race 64.

Somehow still my favorite water simulation in a video game. It just feels so wonderful.

b4qErk9.gif

Za8dtjk.gif

NjsRlAR.gif

YBLz8fU.gif

The last technically isn't the ocean but whatever. :P
Came here to say this. Wave Race 64 is definitely the first game that comes to mind when I think of water. If only there was a current gen version of this. Kinect Sports Rivals really made me wish for a proper jet ski game with how it looked

KSRWave2400.gif

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Where's the miiverse water guy at

Also Link's Awakening has some great depictions of the sea, especially for a Game Boy game. You have the turbulent waters at the start...

SlimySpanishGiraffe-size_restricted.gif

Which then calm and are the backdrop to Link and Marin's growing relationship...

tumblr_mww8yuQFl01r3smugo1_500.gif

tumblr_ob226vip1H1v5vfmpo1_500.gif

And then there's the ending, which encapsulates the theme of the blue ocean and sky signifying freedom.

tumblr_lzehu3P5hd1qeh39oo1_500.gif

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For me it's gotta be Water Ruin from Jet Force Gemini.

6RsEwCn.png

Such a simple level you won't spend more than 10 minutes tops with each character. No combat encounters, barely any land, just a small island drenched with ocean, man-made constructs and land soaked underneath the vast stretches of water; a beautiful sunset in the horizon. So magnificent, melancholy and serene. And that music.... god that music.

The single most beautiful setting in a game for me if only for the vibe of it all, and it's all from an N64 game. I need more like this in my life. I live for this vibe. Wave Race 64 gets up there as well. Both of those made me realize how much I love the ocean and the seaside atmosphere.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Sea of Thieves is the most well crafted and well realised ocean / sea that I've ever seen in a game. Everything about it is just so beautiful and perfect.

EOvalZbXkAEj0MG.jpg

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
The Arctic Sea in Tomb Raider: Underworld.

baddies244.jpg

07-arctic-sea.jpg

This one stood out when I first played it for no other reason than to swim around the deep sea, interacting with underwater contraptions. It's actually one of two water levels in the game. While the music and visuals make for a calming and recreational mood, it can definitely be a bit tense if you have an aversion to the open waters, especially when the sharks emerge out of the blue or off screen to attack you (unfortunately, you can't punch them in the face like Angelina did in Cradle of Life).

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Got to be Subnautica's ocean (planet) for me.
subnautica-pro-tips-1.jpg

I typically hate underwater levels, and am deeply unnerved by treading open water, or the thought of something huge submerged beneath me.
But Subnautica pulled me through those fears and provided a beautiful world with an engrossing survival gameplay loop.
The different biomes and how the entire ocean map has been crafted (unbelievable how deep you end up going) are just masterful.
Can't wait for Below Zero (although at the same time very scared, lol).

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
On mobile so can't easily post pics but I absolutely agree with SoT and Wave Race (N64 and GameCube).

GTAV had a wonderful ocean, loved exploring it especially on the current gen consoles.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Treasure of the Deep (PSX)

ps1_treasures_of_the_deep_p_lwz1vc.jpg
437613-treasures-of-the-deep-playstation-screenshot-fighting-a-diver.png

Ecco the Dolphin - Tides of Time

gen_ecco_the_tides_of_time_p_mv67mn.jpg
85rE.gif
Ha, I was coming to post Treasure of the Deep. There's just something about that game that has stayed with me. Water on the PS1 in general was super cool. I think it's the lack of draw distance that adds a touch of mystery to it all. It makes it seem endless and mysterious.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The Arctic Sea in Tomb Raider: Underworld.

baddies244.jpg

07-arctic-sea.jpg

This one stood out when I first played it for no other reason than to swim around the deep sea, interacting with underwater contraptions. It's actually one of two water levels in the game. While the music and visuals make for a calming and recreational mood, it can definitely be a bit tense if you have an aversion to the open waters, especially when the sharks emerge out of the blue or off screen to attack you (unfortunately, you can't punch them in the face like Angelina did in Cradle of Life).

Great pick! I loved this level and how you dive in from super high up and just go straight down into the depths.