• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you want the PS6 to be BC with the PS4/PS5?

• YES

Votes: 668 89.5%
  • NO

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • Don't Really Care.

Votes: 53 7.1%

• Total voters

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Yes. It's not like a PS4 game isn't enjoyable when compared to a PS5 one, so everyone benefits from the large library of games.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I would like it all going forward and if they can get ti I would like PS1, PS2 and PS3 compatibility.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Meh, not really. PS5 launch games were neat, but the end of cycle games were absolute trash, why would anyone want Nathan Drake: Icecream Simulator or that horrid 'Horizon Sing Along all Dawn Long'. I'd rather they skip PS5.

OP
OP
TheRealTalker

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, not really. PS5 launch games were neat, but the end of cycle games were absolute trash, why would anyone want Nathan Drake: Icecream Simulator or that horrid 'Horizon Sing Along all Dawn Long'. I'd rather they skip PS5.
I happened to like Horizon Sing Along and even bought the digital deluxe including the raptor dlc.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully we'll be at the point we can play any generation of game by then. PS1-6.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. No one is going to be doing any weird architecture jumps, so I want and expect it. Forward compatibility should be the norm for everything, either natively or through a some sort of emulation layer.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, with Xbox going all in on forward compatible, you'd hope it would be a pringles can.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
I wonder what would be the catalyst for PS6. Will 8K tv become an affordable thing towards the end of the decade? Are we starting to hit up against diminishing returns as far as graphical fidelity and its all going to be about high refresh rates?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

Completely disagree. Legend of Dragoon 2 is a masterpiece. I can't believe they managed to bring Lavitz back and it didn't feel forced at all.

OP
OP
TheRealTalker

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The change to x86 with PS4 was laying the foundations to have each future PlayStation console compatible with the last.
I hope so. If it becomes concrete and maybe Sony states they will continue to make this a pillar for the future, then I wouldn't' even be mad at them reselling PS1-PS3 games on the PS4/PS5 store and having to rebuy said games again knowing that at least those copies will carry forward for a the long future ahead.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Yes, absolutely.
If you are operating a digital storefront in this day and age, completely dropping compatibility for people's libraries shouldn't even be a consideration, that would be a disaster. By the time PS6 rolls around, I would also hope PS1 and PS2 are backwards compatible as well.

Last edited:

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
It's crazy that this is even a question to me. It absolutely should play PS4/PS5 games. Microsoft's approach to backwards compatibility should be what we expect from our consoles, not the exception.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
this might be the best post i have ever seen
Well think about it.

The ps4 BC will have required thousands of hours of testing and development to get it working right across the various modes.

That time and money could have been spent on something new rather than a feature that people probably won't use beyond the launch window.

And I personally will never use.

Didn't on ps2 and used it on ps3 for about twenty minutes to check it worked then never used it again

Oct 25, 2017
Ideally, if a device has an optical drive, I want to be able to stick any optical disc (CD/DVD/BR/PS1/DC/PS2/OGXB/PS3/X360/PS4/etc...) and have it play. I know that's a fantasy, but if my RPi2 can play a PS1 disc, I see no reason why a PlayStation 18 shouldn't be able to.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I am asking this question since there was a ton of posts in the past couple of months saying no one would really want PS1-PS3 BC in the first place.

By the time the PS6 comes along, basically the PS4 would be in the same position (library age wise) as the PS3 is currently, minus the exotic architecture but even then the PS3 emulation be it hardware or software based isn't a impossible dream to achieve.

If the PS6 is also X86 and moving we continue to follow that then with that and the acceptance of digital purchases being more common place, many would likely want to continue to carry forward their previous libraries even if they are now 2 generations old.
You're still approaching this from a strange angle and don't seem to understand the point of those saying PS1-PS3 isn't that important. I don't see many saying that they absolutely wouldn't want it, if it doesn't have any drawbacks. Why would anyone say that?

The way the poll is presented, there's only one logical answer. Like I said, who wouldn't want this if they could choose? Like there's no reason to answer anything else than yes.

The actual scenario from where this whole debacle stems from is that some people make it seem like Sony fucked up the whole BC by not having PS1-PS3, while MS has done absolutely marvellously by having full BC.

You definitely get a different impression from members of Era, but the truth still is that for vast majority of people, current gen BC is the only thing they'll ever use. It's not that people wouldn't want full BC if they could choose, but PS4/XB1 BC is just 1000x more important than past gens for 99% of folks who will buy a PS5 or XSX.

I can still understand the handful of enthusiasts. Full BC not being a thing is a bummer for them, but the folks who would actually use it more than once or twice are very much a drop in the ocean.

Last edited:

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
The only situation I would say abandoning backwards compatibility would be desirable is if there is some kind of paradigm shift in the way games are consumed, interacted with, or engineered that would necessitate a new type of hardware that would make back compat infeasible or financially untenable.

I can't think of what that could be, but you never know.

OP
OP
TheRealTalker

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You're still approaching this from a strange angle and don't seem to understand the point of those saying PS1-PS3 isn't that important. I don't see many saying that they absolutely wouldn't want it, if it doesn't have any drawbacks. Why would anyone say that?

idk? since they actually DO exist. I guess it is about priorities and using said money/development for other things.

The way the poll is presented, there's only one logical answer. Like I said, who wouldn't want this if they could choose? Like there's no reason to answer anything else than yes.

The actual scenario from where this whole debacle stems from is that some people make it seem like Sony fucked up the whole BC by not having PS1-PS3, while MS has done absolutely marvellously by having full BC.

You definitely get a different impression from members of Era, but the truth still is that for vast majority of people, current gen BC is the only thing they'll ever use. It's not that people wouldn't want full BC if they could choose, but PS4/XB1 BC is just 1000x more important than past gens for 99% of folks who will buy a PS5 or XSX.

I can still understand the handful of enthusiasts. Full BC not being a thing is a bummer for them, but the folks who would actually use it more than once or twice are very much a drop in the ocean.
Why I asked if this would be the case another console gen from now?

By then the PS4 a gen before like how the PS3 currently is and said games would be approximately that old as well.

You say who wouldn't want it but they do exists for certain reasons on which they can argue on their part.

Of course like I said in the OP, the PS4 doesn't have the issue of it being an exotic hardware as well as already have BC for PS5 so from their they can do the ground work upwards if they don't ever decide to do a legacy program akin to Xbox for older PS consoles/devices.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
Yes, obviously.

PC Gaming has proven that you can have Backwards Compatibility without compromise.

With consoles, where some old exclusive games are pretty much gone, BC is our only real option to persevere our history, as cheesy as it sounds.

Lack of BC makes our digital future rather bleak. If we want to justify the purchase of usage license for our digital goods, then it better make the purchase last us a life time. Xbox is already leading the way on not only having as many games as they can available on the new hardware, but to also improve those games through HDR and other improvements (faster loading, improved performance, etc). Sony should follow suit. I hope Microsoft does better this generation, only so that Sony is forced to embrace their roots.

Funnily enough, one of the games I'm looking forward to play on Xbox Series X is Lost Odyssey. I never played it, even though I have it digitally for some reason (I think it was free), but I did most of my gaming this gen on PS4 and never really used my Xbox One, other than for Rock Band 4. There's a few dozen games I want to play from PS3 that I don't think I have a chance to play at this moment. I do have a healthy backlog on my PS4 I look forward to continue on PS5.

Sadly, I haven't been able to secure any pre-orders yet.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
Consoles now are on the right path arquitecture wise, there is no reason to believe that in the next few years that path will diverge, so yeah, Ps6 x64 and BC why not.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
They should have fixed their architecture issues and their licensing issues this gen, so expect it all to carry forward. It would be unimaginable that they wouldn't have figured it out after how much pain the PS3 inflicted.

Joo

May 25, 2018
idk? since they actually DO exist. I guess it is about priorities and using said money/development for other things.

Why I asked if this would be the case another console gen from now?

By then the PS4 a gen before like how the PS3 currently is and said games would be approximately that old as well.

You say who wouldn't want it but they do exists for certain reasons on which they can argue on their part.

Of course like I said in the OP, the PS4 doesn't have the issue of it being an exotic hardware as well as already have BC for PS5 so from their they can do the ground work upwards if they don't ever decide to do a legacy program akin to Xbox for older PS consoles/devices.
Well there's also folks who believe earth is flat. Like you see it in the poll, out of 379 voters, mere 16 say that they wouldn't want it. It's such a small number that we can basically state that basically everyone would choose to have it, because there's really no good enough reason to say otherwise if it's such a simplified question. You can ask basically anything, and you always get some outliers who say the opposite of what's rational. It can't be used to justify a point.

Wanting more features for "free" and actually using them is still quite a different thing.

All I'm saying is that this whole poll doesn't tell us too much because of how the question is presented. This isn't addressing the point of why PS1-PS3 isn't that important to most people, and why people are bringing that up.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
Your still approaching this from a strange angle and don't seem to understand the point of those saying PS1-PS3 isn't that important. I don't see many saying that they absolutely wouldn't want it, if it doesn't have any drawbacks. Why would anyone say that?

This is backwards logic.

The majority of consumers will buy what is available. If someone gets a ps5 in 4 years and sees The Last of Us in the psn store, they're not gonna say, wait I'm not an enthusiast, I will not buy this game because it's actually running via backwards compatibility. The will assume it's the same as any other game, just like with every other medium. That it was originally a PS3 game won't really matter.

If ps1-3 games were available, then they would sell to the same audience as any other game.
When the old 360 cod games were made BC on the XB1 they all saw renewed sales. Only enthusiasts may "care" about BC but the vast majority of consumers will buy BC games without knowing or ever caring that they are running via backwards compatibility.

PS1-3 don't matter to most people because they can't have them, if they could, then they would matter.

Last edited:

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Yes but they won't cause they can sell remasters at 90 euros this way.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Consoles will probably continue using standard PC tech instead of the crazy custom architectures of the past, so I don't see BC going away.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless the next gen is a massive shift in something like input (see the Wii) I don't see why anyone would say no.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
No, I want to lose all the games and DLC I bought on previous platforms. I also burn money to stay warm.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I want the next console BC with all previous consoles. Give me PS1-4 + PSP/Vita legacy support