• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Exactly. Animal Crossing provided escapisim for millions of people during one of the most catastrophic periods in American history. Yes, other games are technically more impressive and I know a lot of people just aren't into animal crossing (myself included) but like, that game did so much for so many people. In terms of wider impact, nothing else came close.
I also think that Fortnite should get some credit for putting on a massive virtual concert and a few other events, as well as releasing Party Royale.

VRChat has also been great this year with tons of conventions, concerts, galleries, parties, classes and all sorts of stuff. It's the closest thing that exists to having a true second life in a virtual world. It does reach a lot less people than Fortnite or Animal Crossing though.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Agreed. Obviously being on VR effectively kicks it out of wider recognition but it's so "next gen" in what it achieves it genuinely felt revolutionary overall vs the mild evolution you saw everywhere else.

GOTY by a fair margin but, outside VR specific awards, I doubt it'll pick up a single win.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Hmm.. thanks. I have to look into this link, I only got my pc earlier this year so it's a lot I don't know about yet. Plus I don't have a WiFi connector yet either. Trying to figure out the cheapest way to play this game.
There are 3rd party cables that work with Link too (you don't need the official one), but it comes with a nice cable management clip and L connector so it integrates nicely with the headset.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
What does someone get with $600? A VR headset or a computer that can play it plus a VR headset?
You'd need something in the $800-1000 range if you were to start from scratch, but in fairness most Steam users already have a good enough PC for Alyx, so the headset alone is what most active Steam users would need.

How much space do they need for room scale vr?
You're acting like you need all this space. I've played Alyx a second time seated. Plenty of games work like this, and my first time around I stood almost entirely in one spot. The room requirements are motion control VR are very small and non-existent for gamepad VR.

3000 games came out for the PS4.
How many VR games will come out that will be playable on a $600 setup over the next 5/6 years?
There will be more than 3000. Naturally a lot will be shovelware, but there are a lot more games than people give it credit for; plus VR has extra non-gaming value that consoles and even PCs don't provide. That may or may not be relevant to each person, but is something to consider.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I'd agree with regards to Half-Life Alyx, and maybe partially agree with beat saber.

I'm still waiting to play the Last of Us II, but I'd place it above Hades.

Nothing I played this year, perhaps outside of Microsoft Flight Simulator was as remarkable from both an innovation and execution perspective. There's no game on this planet that plays like Alyx, or gives you close to the same captivating sense of immersive storytelling. Unlike pretty much everything else I played this year, Alex feels genuinely new, even beside the other VR games I've played. The fact that it's so brilliantly executed on top of that, is what really drives that home.

So yeah, I agree. The fact that the game awards didn't even nominate Half-Life Alex or MS Flight Simulator for game of the year, shows more that thier process is either broken, or just completely unable to consider games outside of specific genres.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I'll give you FF7, but RE2 is largely a beat for beat, outside of the A/B route differences that were cut.

What? RE2 had 2D backgrounds, RE2R has reimagined all those scenes in 3D. Yes, it uses the same blueprint, but the game feels and plays very much different than the original.

With that said, I loved Demon's Souls and yes it is a "remaster", but so much effort was put into it, I think it's almost unfair to compare it to some other remasters out there which bring higher resolution textures and better particle effects.

Anyway, OP, I haven't played Alyx, but I somehow doubt I'd like it more than TLOU2. It does seem reallt good, though.

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
What does someone get with $600? A VR headset or a computer that can play it plus a VR headset?

How much space do they need for room scale vr?
Where do they store all the accessories when they're not playing?

3000 games came out for the PS4.
How many VR games will come out that will be playable on a $600 setup over the next 5/6 years?

A $300 headset and a $300 GPU are enough assuming someone has a PC of any relatively modern construction. On the topic of play space and storage, should we start including the cost of TVs and couches in console prices then? There are certainly people who will be unable to afford/play because the lack the some of the fundamental requirements, but that is very much the same of consoles or any hobby. The line of accessibility is one drawn in the sand, and really should have minimal consideration in conversations around game quality.

And there are hundreds of VR games playable; many tens of incredible ones too, though obviously that comes down to taste. But how does that factor into it's consideration for game of the year? If PS5 game development gets canceled tomorrow, should we retroactively withdraw it's game awards/nominations? The quality of a game stands alone from the number of games on a system, and at the moment great VR games faaaar outnumber anything on current gen xbox or playstation regardless.

Last edited:

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Exactly. Animal Crossing provided escapisim for millions of people during one of the most catastrophic periods in American history. Yes, other games are technically more impressive and I know a lot of people just aren't into animal crossing (myself included) but like, that game did so much for so many people. In terms of wider impact, nothing else came close.

That really doesn't mean the game itself is best or anything.

And if you want to look for games that provided escapism for millions of people during this time - you could say that WoW has Animal Crossing beat. For example.

Also, just America, huh? The rest of the world doesn't have Covid?

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
I liked HL: Alyx a lot but it's probably my 5th fave game of the year?
Bugsnax is 6th and I liked that a lot too

It's been a great year for games

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people are in such a tizzy over this game getting "passed up" for awards season. Barely anynone has fucking played this because VR isn't prevalent amongst average gamers.

The game will get a second wind for sure whenever it comes out for PSVR2.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
GOTY is cyberpunk but people like hating on it and the company tat made it for some reason.
golly i sure wish there was a pinned thread explaining why people hate on this underdog company for no reason

you know exactly the reason, you just don't care.

you might be being sarcastic in which case ya got me but there's people that genuinely post shit like that

Last edited:

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
You'd need something in the $800-1000 range if you were to start from scratch, but in fairness most Steam users already have a good enough PC for Alyx, so the headset alone is what most active Steam users would need.

You're acting like you need all this space. I've played Alyx a second time seated. Plenty of games work like this, and my first time around I stood almost entirely in one spot. The room requirements are motion control VR are very small and non-existent for gamepad VR.

There will be more than 3000. Naturally a lot will be shovelware, but there are a lot more games than people give it credit for; plus VR has extra non-gaming value that consoles and even PCs don't provide. That may or may not be relevant to each person, but is something to consider.
Are you sure $800?
Like a terabyte SSD would be a large chunk. Plus a non dodgy windows licence.
GPUs are hard to get right now and the secondhand market isn't great. Also someone without a PC would need to buy a monitor as well.

Also wasn't the index they released with the game really expensive?
Like what headset would someone get that wouldn't be trash?

But even though you can sit down the expense of VR is for the experience of walking around.

Tbh the best VR I played was when I visited a place in Macau where you wore a PC as a backpack with a gun.
And it was in a massive open space where we walked down corridors in the car world blasting robots.

Talk to the average person thats the experience the imagine.
Rather than a fancier 3D cinema. I know I exaggerate but it's the barrier to entry.

I guess so maybe more than 3000 but will input methods evolve?
Like anew game requiring a better controller or a more powerful PC.

Like a pc or headset that could play this game might not be able to play next year's blockbuster

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Are you sure $800?
Like a terabyte SSD would be a large chunk. Plus a non dodgy windows licence.
GPUs are hard to get right now and the secondhand market isn't great. Also someone without a PC would need to buy a monitor as well.

Also wasn't the index they released with the game really expensive?
Like what headset would someone get that wouldn't be trash?

But even though you can sit down the expense of VR is for the experience of walking around.

Tbh the best VR I played was when I visited a place in Macau where you wore a PC as a backpack with a gun.
And it was in a massive open space where we walked down corridors in the car world blasting robots.

Talk to the average person thats the experience the imagine.
Rather than a fancier 3D cinema. I know I exaggerate but it's the barrier to entry.

I guess so maybe more than 3000 but will input methods evolve?
Like anew game requiring a better controller or a more powerful PC.

Like a pc or headset that could play this game might not be able to play next year's blockbuster
Yes, I'm sure. 3000 series cards might be out of the question, but the game runs fine on a GTX 970. The last monitor I bought cost about $100.

A $300 Oculus Quest 2 can provide an experience that is in some ways better than an Index.

The experience of walking around is ideal, but not at all needed to have fun or fulfilment.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I'd take Alyx or a ton of others over the continued cries of Ghost of Tsushima, a game which is rarely if ever more than competent. It is still weird to me that the number of people who've played a game is even a factor in its eligibility

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I bought an Index to play Alyx, really enjoyed it, and don't agree with the OP.

That said, maybe it's time to replay it and see how I feel months on.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
  • It's not exclusive to any headset. WMR/Oculus/Valve all work. Unless you mean you need a VR headset but that's a given to play VR.
  • Any entry level PC with a half decent card from the last two generations can work. There's no need for $1000/$2000 PCs. Alyx worked fine on a PC that I acquired in 2015.
  • Works both in roomscale and seated - there's a ton of accessibility options as well.
I mean you're still looking at probably an $800 investment at the very least? Probably more. I doubt that's a comfortable expense for many IGN reviewers.

And while I'll take your word for it that Alyx wouldn't be a space concern...they wouldn't be buying this just for Alyx, and many, many VR games do require a bit more space.

I think it's also worth mentioning that there's generally an expectation reviewers will be playing these games under the best possible conditions. So sure, you could get a Quest and run it on your average PC with your arms stuck to your side, but I don't think they'd enjoy that or feel qualified to speak definitively about the experience.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people are in such a tizzy over this game getting "passed up" for awards season. Barely anynone has fucking played this because VR isn't prevalent amongst average gamers.

The game will get a second wind for sure whenever it comes out for PSVR2.

For sure. I remember playing Half Life on PS2 and Orange Box on PS3

Agi

Jun 26, 2020
Yes. By far really.

I feel reluctant playing anything else after it, every other game feels like a downgrade now. I need more excellent VR games or pass.

It's a Mario 64 situation

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Console War Rhetoric; Inflammatory Commentary
I smell a bunch of broke in here *sniff sniff* 👏🤑

I 100% agree with you but if it's not on a PlayStation it ain't winning shit around here unfortunately.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
A $300 headset and a $300 GPU are enough assuming someone has a PC of any relatively modern construction. On the topic of play space and storage, should we start including the cost of TVs and couches in console prices then? There are certainly people who will be unable to afford/play because the lack the some of the fundamental requirements, but that is very much the same of consoles or any hobby. The line of accessibility is one drawn in the sand, and really should have minimal consideration in conversations around game quality.

And there are hundreds of VR games playable; many tens of incredible ones too, though obviously that comes down to taste. But how does that factor into it's consideration for game of the year? If PS5 game development gets canceled tomorrow, should we retroactively withdraw it's game awards/nominations? The quality of a game stands alone from the number of games on a system, and at the moment great VR games faaaar outnumber anything on current gen xbox or playstation regardless.

People have couches and TVs.
You know to sit down on and watch TV.

My point is with consoles having games is that there's an element of risk with buying VR compared to consoles.
There's a guarantee of quality games going to come out for the console.

VR on the other hand is a subset of games.

But to the topic of GOTYs and recognition.
I think the barrier of the extra platform and the space considerations.
Means that fewer people would play the game naturally.

Like if someone told me to play Hades, I could be playing that game in 20 minutes.
But VR is harder in that sense especially in the sense of getting many game reviewed to play the game.
I'm going to assume that the income of a game reviewer isn't majorly high.

Yes, I'm sure. 3000 series cards might be out of the question, but the game runs fine on a GTX 970. The last monitor I bought cost about $100.

A $300 Oculus Quest 2 can provide an experience that is in some ways better than an Index.

The experience of walking around is ideal, but not at all needed to have fun or fulfilment.
Aha fair enough.Thats lower than I expected.
Though with Facebook owning oculus that's another can of worms haha.

At the end of the day I think Alyx winning many Game of the Year awards is a stretch for 2020.
It might be great but people didn't play it.
Because VR hasn't reached that critical mass.
And I think it's unfair to criticise people for not playing it.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...half life alyx. And the year beat saber was first published was beat saber.
The thing is vr is not even nominable if not in a specific category, but who take the journey from normal beat saber to expert beat saber or play alyx till the end, know what im talking about.
Agreed. Every GOTY Alyx doesn't win it's a award it was robbed

Plum

May 31, 2018
I loved HL: Alyx and it'll likely have a place in my Top 5 this year...

...but, seriously, it's really not surprising at all that it's not winning tons of GOTY awards when the game is inherently very niche. People who own PCs powerful enough to play it well are a minority in the game's primary markets (NA + Europe), and of that minority only a tiny percentage actually own VR headsets. According to Steam's own hardware survey only 2% of Steam users own VR headsets; so approximately less than 2 million users if you take Steam as having 90 million active users. It's a very, very minor part of the gaming landscape right now, and so it's treated as such by gaming outlets when it comes time for GOTY deliberations.

I mean that people point towards $300 minimum spend (which, if you're outside of the middle-class Era bubble, is a lot of money) to simply play this game adequately should have been a red flag to show that, actually, it might not have been played by all that many people.

Note that I personally think that GOTY as a concept is silly for these exact reasons (i.e. that a niche game inherently has less chance than a popular one), but that doesn't mean I think it's some tragedy that this game hasn't received GOTYs from many gaming outlets.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
The scariest moment in my gaming life happened to me in this game...

Thought it'd be fun to turn on the function that allows those ceiling grabber creatures to actually physically pick you up with their sticky tongues. First time I encountered one, I quickly took it out and then accidentally wandered right into the tongue of another, it freaked me out as I started being lifted off from the ground, I look up and its sucking me up, I pull my gun out and go to stick it right in its mouth before it eats me and my hand gets fucking SNAPPED. I screamed and fell to the ground in literal physical pain, laughing and screaming, while I proceed to die ingame.

I forgot I had the ceiling fan on and jammed my goddam hand right into it.. most shocking moment of, "OH GOD IS THIS ACTUALLY REAL" I've ever experienced.

This reminds me of when me and some friends were playing Pavlov VR. We were playing a straight rip of COD zombies in the game somehow, and we were in this extremely tense wave out in the yard. I was out of ammo, so i told me friend to through me a pistol since he was next to the guns. He throws it through the air to me, and my body had forgotten this wasnt real because i leaped into the air to catch it like a fly ball and my hands went straight into the ceiling fan.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
Two times during the game - I was crouching on the ground to search for ammo and the upgrade cubes, and I moved to put my hand on a wall or desk in the game to brace myself to stand, and then watched my hand pass through the object. That's how immersive this game is.

Yeah it's damn special.
to be fair, I've done that with job simulator many times as well

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
You right.

People are going to say it's too niche or not widely available enough, but would throw a shit fit if a mobile game won which are much more widely used and played than a modern console.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
Sure would be nice to be able to afford both the VR equipment and PC capable of playing the damn thing. I already looked up the ending when it came out since I know I'll never actually play it myself.

Also, while I don't doubt how good Alyx is, the hyperbole around VR from years back has made me suspect of any claims that no, really, THIS time it's the true best VR thing you'll ever play. Astrobot, the previous VR darling, was a very good platformer that honestly didn't need VR, and was far from the revelation everyone treated it as. Excuse me for being skeptical of anything similar in the future.