• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Two times during the game - I was crouching on the ground to search for ammo and the upgrade cubes, and I moved to put my hand on a wall or desk in the game to brace myself to stand, and then watched my hand pass through the object. That's how immersive this game is.

Yeah it's damn special.
So like that's cool but it's also the sort of thing that makes me not want to play VR. I'm happy with the "low" amount of immersion I get in regular games and not being cut off from everything around me.

I feel like an old man.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's Animal Crossing. In a year when everything sucked complete ass Animal Crossing was there to make people feel happy. I don't even like Animal Crossing.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
The scariest moment in my gaming life happened to me in this game...

Thought it'd be fun to turn on the function that allows those ceiling grabber creatures to actually physically pick you up with their sticky tongues. First time I encountered one, I quickly took it out and then accidentally wandered right into the tongue of another, it freaked me out as I started being lifted off from the ground, I look up and its sucking me up, I pull my gun out and go to stick it right in its mouth before it eats me and my hand gets fucking SNAPPED. I screamed and fell to the ground in literal physical pain, laughing and screaming, while I proceed to die ingame.

I forgot I had the ceiling fan on and jammed my goddam hand right into it.. most shocking moment of, "OH GOD IS THIS ACTUALLY REAL" I've ever experienced.
Oh man that's something, lol.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
tenor.gif

The scariest moment in my gaming life happened to me in this game...

Thought it'd be fun to turn on the function that allows those ceiling grabber creatures to actually physically pick you up with their sticky tongues. First time I encountered one, I quickly took it out and then accidentally wandered right into the tongue of another, it freaked me out as I started being lifted off from the ground, I look up and its sucking me up, I pull my gun out and go to stick it right in its mouth before it eats me and my hand gets fucking SNAPPED. I screamed and fell to the ground in literal physical pain, laughing and screaming, while I proceed to die ingame.

I forgot I had the ceiling fan on and jammed my goddam hand right into it.. most shocking moment of, "OH GOD IS THIS ACTUALLY REAL" I've ever experienced.
Oh lol, I hope the pain wasn't too bad!
Can you play it with the oculus quest 2? I do have a decent pc as well.
Yes, as long as you have the link cable.

May 10, 2019

Yeah, that's right.

It's pretty clear VR still has some pretty extreme barriers to entry when even the game critics at large don't have access to it.

In the case of Alyx:
  • It's exclusive to an expensive peripheral.
  • It requires an expensive PC on top of that.
  • It requires a certain amount of space to be used, which may not be practical for people in small apartments.
Game journalists aren't making the big bucks. It's the opposite, really, so you can't expect them to be able to invest in this.

This is where my honest head space is at with VR games, but on top of all this there's physical limitations for a lot of people (especially with regards to games that require a full range of motion).

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
You'll never get most people to agree on a GOTY anyway.

Mine is Valorant. I've easily put in over 100 hours so far, and even though I'm bad I still have fun.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Real talk though, it sucks that the only games that are even considered are the "traditional" type games. Animal Crossing, Among Us, and Fall Guys should have had a much higher chance for actually managing to bring people together during times when we all have to be apart, but even in a year like this, they were tossed to the side for the safe and obvious choice.

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
TLOU2 for me

I didn't play Alyx but I'm really into Beat Saber on Oculus and yes VR is amazing, is it fair to compete on the same ground as consoles? I get both essentially compete for the consumers same gaming entertainment dollar, but after experiencing good VR I don't know if it's even in the same ballpark. I've enjoyed playing Walkabout mini golf with my wife more than Demon's Souls...it's not a fair fight!

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

There's a hollow inside you
And it won't disappear
Oh no, baby don't worry I'll be girl game of all the year
There's a hollow inside you
But, don't worry I'm here (I'm here)
I don't care if you're looking for the next girl game of the year
Girl Game of the year

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
GOTY is cyberpunk but people like hating on it and the company tat made it for some reason. I play cyberpunk on a base model just fine.

Serously check out this live video of gameplay I recorded off my original xbox one if you don't believe me:

1 fps hype

cyberpunk-2077s-day-one-ps4-and-xbox-one-versions-are-a-bit-rough.jpg

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty clear VR still has some pretty extreme barriers to entry when even the game critics at large don't have access to it.

In the case of Alyx:
  • It's exclusive to an expensive peripheral.
  • It requires an expensive PC on top of that.
  • It requires a certain amount of space to be used, which may not be practical for people in small apartments.
Game journalists aren't making the big bucks. It's the opposite, really, so you can't expect them to be able to invest in this.

• It's not exclusive to any headset. WMR/Oculus/Valve all work. Unless you mean you need a VR headset but that's a given to play VR.
  • Any entry level PC with a half decent card from the last two generations can work. There's no need for $1000/$2000 PCs. Alyx worked fine on a PC that I acquired in 2015.
  • Works both in roomscale and seated - there's a ton of accessibility options as well.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Nah, it's Animal Crossing. In a year when everything sucked complete ass Animal Crossing was there to make people feel happy. I don't even like Animal Crossing.
Yeah, I was a bit more impressed by Alyx, but I can't blame anyone picking this game as GOTY of 2020. Certainly it's the most "important" game of the year, and the one we'll be remembering 2020 by (in terms of games) a decade from now. The game that kept a large part of the population sane when we were going through the most difficult patch in our lives (so far).

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
I still think for everything 2020 is and was, Animal Crossing should be game of the year. Is it revolutionary? No, but it had the impact and sustainability that 2020 needed in gaming for tens of millions of people.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
tbf i do wonder if the game was more widespread if it would have gotten more clout.
a bit hard to theory it out though since the hardware is the big part of the secret sauce and so pricey

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Half Life Alyx was the first time I really "lost" myself in the VR world, to the point where I smacked the controllers on the floor since I was crouching in real life at a ledge and forgot my floor was there. Also the moment I finished it I had an insane grin and felt really glad I played it, and that didn't happen for me in any other game this year. Truly amazing in every sense of the world, but I get that most people can't play it.

Heropon_

Oct 31, 2017
So like that's cool but it's also the sort of thing that makes me not want to play VR. I'm happy with the "low" amount of immersion I get in regular games and not being cut off from everything around me.

I feel like an old man.

Same here. Immersion is far from being the most important thing in a video game for me.

However immersion is important for horror games. But that's the genre I dislike the most.

To each their own.

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Having a Game of the Year be a VR game is kinda like having a Game of the Year being an arcade release. It can be the best game in the world but the market for it is minuscule in comparison to everything else out there.

It stinks, because I'd love to play the game myself, but as long as I have to strap on goggles to do so I'm gonna have to pass.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Half Life Alyx was awesome but idk I still wish the combat got more interesting and the puzzles too. The visuals/sound and presence were on another level though for sure I need them to make another one.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
GOTY is cyberpunk but people like hating on it and the company tat made it for some reason. I play cyberpunk on a base model just fine.

Serously check out this live video of gameplay I recorded off my original xbox one if you don't believe me:

1 fps hype

cyberpunk-2077s-day-one-ps4-and-xbox-one-versions-are-a-bit-rough.jpg
I'm having a blast with it on PC, because I'm following the main story/side missions and truly just focusing on the RPG aspect of the game.

The open world though, is pretty broken.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Certainly it's the most "important" game of the year, and the one we'll be remembering 2020 by (in terms of games) a decade from now. The game that kept a large part of the population sane when we were going through the most difficult patch in our lives (so far).
I still think for everything 2020 is and was, Animal Crossing should be game of the year. Is it revolutionary? No, but it had the impact and sustainability that 2020 needed in gaming for tens of millions of people.
Exactly. Animal Crossing provided escapisim for millions of people during one of the most catastrophic periods in American history. Yes, other games are technically more impressive and I know a lot of people just aren't into animal crossing (myself included) but like, that game did so much for so many people. In terms of wider impact, nothing else came close.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Astro Bot deserved better too. VR games are the most ground-breaking game experiences I've had in the last few years and nobody gives them the recognition they deserve.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
If ~$600 is the barrier to make it exclusive to rich people then every console game also falls under that category.
What does someone get with $600? A VR headset or a computer that can play it plus a VR headset?

How much space do they need for room scale vr?
Where do they store all the accessories when they're not playing?

3000 games came out for the PS4.
How many VR games will come out that will be playable on a $600 setup over the next 5/6 years?

What a ridiculous statement on a videogame forum. A VR set costs what a Series S does for people with a mid-low tier pc. Make some space by moving stuff around. The publication that cater should people that are not lazy will give it goty.

So you're telling me that a $200 headset with a low tier computer (which is a cheap laptop with integrated Intel GPU or something like an MX350) is good enough to play this game?

Sounds like a recipe for motion sickness to me and a terrible experience. Would I go GOTY! With that kind of setup?

Also why should I make space in my home for it. Seems like it's an unreasonable waste of space, in addition to the high cost, to play a couple games.

I stand by saying that it's for rich people.
What's wrong with saying that on a video game forum?
Am I expected to spent lots of money on games?
Throw my dining table out or switch to a single bed to create a VR zone? Lol

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Same here. Immersion is far from being the most important thing in a video game for me.

However immersion is important for horror games. But that's the genre I dislike the most.

To each their own.
VR immersion is different. You can care less about immersion on a screen and be infatuated with it on VR. It's up to people to try the tech and see for themselves though, because preconceptions won't do anything.