• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
...half life alyx. And the year beat saber was first published was beat saber.
The thing is vr is not even nominable if not in a specific category, but who take the journey from normal beat saber to expert beat saber or play alyx till the end, know what im talking about.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Two times during the game - I was crouching on the ground to search for ammo and the upgrade cubes, and I moved to put my hand on a wall or desk in the game to brace myself to stand, and then watched my hand pass through the object. That's how immersive this game is.

Yeah it's damn special.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a lot of people's "Retroactive 2020 GOTY".
In any case, it is one of the two games I'm very curious to try when I get into VR (the other being Astro Bot Rescue Mission). I'll try to catch up on Half-Life in the meantime.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
but who take the journey from normal beat saber to expert beat saber or play alyx till the end, know what im talking about.
The problem with your argument is that, in relation to the video game audience on the whole, this number is extremely low. Half Life Alyx could be the greatest video game ever created but if only 0.01% of the video game playing public has the resources to play it, then it's not going to get worldwide acclaim like that.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Animal Crossing defined the year for me so that'd be my choice personally with Hades as a close second

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Lets face it. the true game of the year is...
tenor.gif

Seriously, I want to agree with you, now gimme a 10000 VR headset and I will do that.

BigDaddyCool

Nov 29, 2020
I agree, Ori 2 was definitely the true GOTY

Real talk, if Alyx was more widely accessible it would have taken the world by storm

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I've ordered a quest 2 so I guess I'll get to see if this is actually better than Bugsnax, I have my doubts

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Two times during the game - I was crouching on the ground to search for ammo and the upgrade cubes, and I moved to put my hand on a wall or desk in the game to brace myself to stand, and then watched my hand pass through the object. That's how immersive this game is.

Yeah it's damn special.
That sounds annoying as shit to me.

But detached from my disdain for VR, Half-Life is the only game so far to make me wish I didn't hate VR.

Jun 13, 2020
They decided to make it exclusive to a very niche and expensive peripheral. I'm sure it's a great game, but I'm also sure you can understand that most people can't play it. Accept it and move on.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
It's Demon's Souls, which is seemingly being punished for being a remake when RE2 last year and FF7 this year were not.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Three way tie among Animal Crossing, Ghost of Tsushima, and TLOU2.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty obvious VR was going to limit Alyx general appeal. Even game press outlets usually only have 1 person that has the setup tops.

It's Demon's Souls, which is seemingly being punished for being a remake when RE2 last year and FF7 this year were not.

IMO Demon's Souls problem was more that it came out too late. Well that, and it's also not as much a reinvention as the RE2 and FF7 remakes are, DS is "just" a better looking/running version of the same game.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah it's damn special.

two standout moments for me - both actually pretty mundane in their situations

1) being shot at on a train platform - I'm in a ticket booth crouching for cover. I lean on the wall of the booth to take a breath. Obviously I fall over and laugh because the wall doesnt' exist you idiot. (I call this the 'budget cuts' effect)

2) was in an apartment building and it was all dirty and murky. Came out of an elevator and had to go down a corridor. There were some trash bags in an alcove and I literally spent 5 minutes standing frozen to the spot as I was convinced as soon as I started moving past, some bastard head crabs would jump me and I'd shit myself.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's pretty clear VR still has some pretty extreme barriers to entry when even the game critics at large don't have access to it.

In the case of Alyx:
  • It's exclusive to an expensive peripheral.
  • It requires an expensive PC on top of that.
  • It requires a certain amount of space to be used, which may not be practical for people in small apartments.
Game journalists aren't making the big bucks. It's the opposite, really, so you can't expect them to be able to invest in this.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
The scariest moment in my gaming life happened to me in this game...

Thought it'd be fun to turn on the function that allows those ceiling grabber creatures to actually physically pick you up with their sticky tongues. First time I encountered one, I quickly took it out and then accidentally wandered right into the tongue of another, it freaked me out as I started being lifted off from the ground, I look up and its sucking me up, I pull my gun out and go to stick it right in its mouth before it eats me and my hand gets fucking SNAPPED. I screamed and fell to the ground in literal physical pain, laughing and screaming, while I proceed to die ingame.

I forgot I had the ceiling fan on and jammed my goddam hand right into it.. most shocking moment of, "OH GOD IS THIS ACTUALLY REAL" I've ever experienced.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017

Yeah it's damn special.

Lol. I had something similar today when playing "I expect you to die". First mission, in the car. Tried to reach for something on the back seat, reached out to support my self with the rear seat and central arm rest, promptly fell off my chair as my hands fell through the imaginary car and I tumbled to the floor from the desk chair I'd actually been sitting on. Looking forwards to starting Alyx.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
It's a game made for rich people.

Maybe some publication that caters towards that demographic will give it GOTY.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a game made for rich people.

Maybe some publication that caters towards that demographic will give it GOTY.
What a ridiculous statement on a videogame forum. A VR set costs what a Series S does for people with a mid-low tier pc. Make some space by moving stuff around. The publication that cater should people that are not lazy will give it goty.