• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Singher

Apr 10, 2018
With approval of these vaccines happening in the coming weeks and months, more and more skepticism is seemingly being brought up about these vaccines. These doubts on the safety and long term effects of vaccines are not grounded in science.

Let me say this first, whatever potential side effects you think these vaccines have, it can never be as serious as permanent lung, liver, and heart damage resulting in long COVID.

So moving on to the common talking points that place doubts on the vaccines:

1.) The Vaccines are rushed.

These vaccines are not rushed. Most of them are repurposed from an earlier SARS vaccine. The most important point that people keep ignoring is that these vaccines were literally created on the principal that you have the best scientists in the world working with unlimited money and an unlimited amount of patients. That shouldn't be giving you doubts, that should be encouraging you. The reason vaccines take so long is due to limited funds and participation with governments taking their time with approval. That's not happening this time.

The vaccines for SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 weren't rushed | by Edward Nirenberg | Nov, 2020 | Medium

2.) These may have potential side effects that we don't know about due to limited testing and participants.

This is not true. All these studies have gone through rigorous testing protocols as all other vaccines. They have been tested on 40K+ plus people which is the standard for these types of trials. There is nothing that is being cut for the sake of putting these vaccines out quicker.

Goes into how these trials are run

3.) mRNA vaccines are new technology and we don't know if they will be safe.

Not True

No, Really, mRNA Vaccines Are Not Going To Affect Your DNA | by Edward Nirenberg | Nov, 2020 | Medium

CDC on mRNA vaccines

The reason why I wanted to bring this topic up is because however small you think these anti-vax comments are, they are still dangerous. You place a seed of doubt in a thread that is not in the basis of any science. Even if one person reads your comment and goes on a youtube rabbit hole against covid vaccines that is potentially one more person that won't take this vaccine. This may result in unnecessary deaths happening due to skepticism in the vaccines. This is literally how conspiracy theories are born.

EDIT

First off I want to apologize to marginalized communities that have a rightful distrust of governments. As a minority myself and a health care professional, I am deeply saddened that I didn't take that into consideration when I made this post. I don't believe that I am really qualified to figure out ways to address mistrust in marginalized communities, but I will try to use this thread to reduce the seeds of doubt in the vaccinations themselves. I hope that helps.

One issue that hopefully we can talk about in this thread is how Anti-Vaxxxers are manipulating marginalized communities rightful distrust in governments to further harm these communities. This is the area that I'm quite passionate about and a big reason why I wanted to stop the spread of misinformation.

Anti-vaccine leaders targeting minority becomes growing concern at NYC forum - ABC News (go.com)

Measles sweeps an immigrant community targeted by anti-vaccine activists (statnews.com)

Last edited:

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is a tough one. I know a lot of rational people who aren't antivaxxers saying they'll wait. I'm undecided.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
giphy.gif

The talking points might differ but the sentiment will be the same and selfishness will show itself in some.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The only reason anyone should be waiting is to allow those who are more at-risk get the vaccine first. Otherwise, get that shit immediately.

Benjamin

Nov 11, 2017
Super post.

I had this exact argument with a relative. I never raise my voice but this time I did.

The last point about small comments being dangerous is super critical. That seed of doubt spreads and corrupts.

You must dismiss anti-vax absolutely, else you lose.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
100% OP.

It gets me when I see people argue about imaginary invisible dangers of a COVID vaccine, when we can plainly see the real and imminent danger of COVID itself.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even think it's distrust of the vaccine. It's leverage of some other agenda, normally.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Anti-science sentiment definitely floats around and isn't that far away from diverging into full-on conspiracy theory.

The Anti GMO Project logos on food packaging is another anti-science gateway.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
That's happening? If anything I saw some people waiting until the priority 1 folks are taken care of?

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a lot of problems with a vast majority of Era in a lot of fields, but this is one of the cases where I think you're wrong..? Era seems universally anti-vax. I think most of the concern came from the fear that Trump was just going to rush some bullshit to market to just shut people up or something. And that our choice was whatever this product might be or yanno... COVID. This administration was very anti-science, and that's really scary. Especially when the leader of this country is joking about taking bleach and making light of the pandemic. Why would ANYONE trust this person with making sure science prevails and we get a proper vaccine?

I think it's a case of people realizing just how fucked the government/capitalism is and are just weary/scared about it. Not that they're outright anti-vax?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
era isnt anti vax, skeptical sure because of how shit everything is rite now because our current admin but not antivax

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'm with you OP. Some of it is a function of the destruction of institutions in many Western countries that has caused a loss of faith in them. It's why it's dangerous. But people should get their vaccine when they can.

Oct 26, 2017
I was pretty skeptical before we knew anything, but everything I've seen so far on the vaccines actually coming, so far looks pretty well researched and tested

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I have a lot of problems with a vast majority of Era in a lot of fields, but this is one of the cases where I think you're wrong..? Era seems universally anti-vax. I think most of the concern came from the fear that Trump was just going to rush some bullshit to market to just shut people up or something. And that our choice was whatever this product might be or yanno... COVID. This administration was very anti-science, and that's really scary. Especially when the leader of this country is joking about taking bleach and making light of the pandemic. Why would ANYONE trust this person with making sure science prevails and we get a proper vaccine?

I think it's a case of people realizing just how fucked the government/capitalism is and are just weary/scared about it. Not that they're outright anti-vax?
It has nothing to do with the president, most of the vaccines aren't even coming out of the US. He also has no power to fast track approval.

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
yeah, this is a good thread and much needed. Concerns about the vaccines need to be grounded in some kind of legit analysis of the research otherwise, it's conspiracy level stuff that should be ignored.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What about banning people that talk about having Christmas and Thanksgiving gatherings or other dangerous behavior that trivializes COVID-19?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The more anti-vaxxers, the faster I'll have my vaccine though. I'll be holding out my arm for that vaccine.

That's happening? If anything I saw some people waiting until the priority 1 folks are taken care of?
There is a lot of people saying they want to wait 'until it is mass tested'

era isnt anti vax, skeptical sure because of how shit everything is rite now because our current admin but not antivax
The site isn't, but there are sure quite a lot of people that are parotting anti vaxx retoric.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The only reason anyone should be waiting is to allow those who are more at-risk get the vaccine first. Otherwise, get that shit immediately.
Yep. Most people here aren't going to be top priority for the vaccine, but people should be eager to receive a vaccine as soon as prioritisation in their country allows.

Deleted member 83122

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
That's my take. I'm not at high of a risk as others and I live in a rural small-pop area. I hope those that want them can get them, and if I can get a vaccine, I am ready to get one.

Benjamin

Nov 11, 2017

I think it's a case of move people realizing just how fucked the government/capitalism is and are just weary/scared about it. Not that they're outright anti-vax?
The 'will you take the vaccine'thread was an absolute shit show of people basically giving various degrees of anti Vax nonsense.

Read the OP. Political issues in one country do not give reason to the argument that government is interfering.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
I think in the US at least, the current government has so fucked people's trust in anything coming out of them that people are naturally suspicious.

The problem with this theory is that the government has very little to do with the creation of this vaccine. It's not like Trump's got Jared out there mixing up shit in a Winnebago. The science behind these things is sound, and the Trump shit show really doesn't have any impact.

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
Anti-science sentiment definitely floats around and isn't that far away from diverging into full-on conspiracy theory.

The Anti GMO Project logos on food packaging is another anti-science gateway.
Anti-GMO is tricky because what a lot of those people really are is anti-monsanto or such. Which I am too! But GMO foods are not inherently bad, a lot of them are just made by bad people.

May 19, 2020
while some apprehension is fine actual anti-vaccine discourse is ultimately harmful to everyone and breeds the worst kinds of misinformation

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
I think there was a reasonable concern earlier in the year with Trump pushing for a fast vaccine solution as a bid to improve his reelection chances. Of course, the actual science has caught up and there should be little cause for concern on the efficacy of the vaccines at this point.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Great post, OP.

Even if one person reads your comment and goes on a youtube rabbit hole against covid vaccines that is potentially one more person that won't take this vaccine. This may result in unnecessary deaths happening due to skepticism in the vaccines. This is literally how conspiracy theories are born.

So much this.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's all over social media as well. People are stupid, including some people here.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
User banned (2 weeks): misrepresenting previous ban ( https://www.resetera.com/posts/29693655/ )
Agreed. Bans should be instituted if it continues. Mod messages in every thread necessary

I agree.

i took a week ban for suggesting that over 1000 people per day may get infected.

it seems right that anyone spouting anti vax sentiment should receive the same

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Anti-GMO is tricky because what a lot of those people really are is anti-monsanto or such. Which I am too! But GMO foods are not inherently bad, a lot of them are just made by bad people.
Indeed, need to make distinction between the thing they make and their shitty business practices. Their shitty business practices aren't reflected in the quality of their work.

i took a week ban for suggesting that over 1000 people per day may get infected.
I hope that mod has given an apology in the meantime.

Deleted member 83122

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
I took 17 shots in both arms before deploying to Africa back in 2000. Damn if I'm not gonna take one more to save 2000 lives, seen I.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I'm seeing on the news that the UK will have vaccines next week?? Holy shit. Just TAKE THEM PEOPLE fuckin hell stick em in your ass if you must

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Concerns before news about vaccines being approved in multiple countries were more than justified. Now, there's really no excuse. Hopefully I'm in the first batch.

What this forum should do is squash discussions of whether someone will receive a vaccine or not, before there is even news of a viable one being released anytime soon.

Of course people will say, "If you told me there was a vaccine right now and ask me if I would get it, I would say no." There's no need for these idiotic thought experience that exists outside of reality. Engaging in such discussion pushes anti-vax rhetoric because the logic response to "would you take X right now" before X was approved by multiple independent bodies should be no (re: Summer 2020).

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I think the common fear here wasn't a vaccine, but rather Trump would push a vaccine regardless of the proper protocoles and testing. Like why would you trust something he is saying to inject into your body? An actual proven vaccine pushed by scientists and the WHO is another issue.

No one here trusts the russian vaccine, and they aren't anti vaccine for that either.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be the lightning rod here. I'm waiting. I'll continue to quarantine as best as possible and take safety measures when I can't. Pharmaceutical companies are some of the most evil out there and I don't trust. I don't feel I'm being anti-science or anti-vax, but I can respect those that disagree.