• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jul 26, 2018
What makes a good writing is subjective so you're free to mention any game that you think have a great choice of factions/guilds/whatever you can join. For me it's very cool when there's no obvious "good" and "evil" factions, like every faction has their own noble goals which at some point start showing their own shortcomings and could even justify controversial decisions. Those factions seems as ambiguous as life itself. But I don't have any game to single out top of my head.

Anyway, mention games with great faction choice. And ideally explain why you like it a bit so other gamers who haven't tried the game will add it to their backlog šŸ˜¬

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Technically, most fighting games. Each character has their own agenda/story arc/etc. and are thus their own faction.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite fraction game had to be Number Munchers. Learned a lot of least common denominators with that one.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I learned a lot about fractions in a game called, coincidentally, Frog Fractions. Dude had a pretty nice hat, too.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
number munchers is probably the first time I remember blaming a peripheral for my performance in a game

like my speed at number munching was largely determined, i felt, by the type of keyboard I was using; I was way better at ones with <>^v rather than your typical T-Shaped arrow layout

now I'm here looking at hitbox players like cheaters, we've come so far but also not very far at all

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Oblivion still has the best guilds in my opinion. The Dark Brotherhood is a classic and possibly my favorite of all time. The Thieves Guild was awesome. And while the Mage's Guild and the Fighter's Guild weren't as flashy... no game has made a guild feel as real as they did in Oblivion. You go from town to town and gain acceptance from the various guild masters. You work your way to the higher ranks and by the time you become a master, it really feels like you've earned it.

They dropped the ball so hard in Skyrim in this regard. Outside of the the Thieves Guild, the guilds felt like such a step down to me.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Frog Fractions, obviously.

In other news, Planescape: Torment has some of the most interesting factions in videogames. They were adapted from Dungeons & Dragons though.

Bring back Planescape, you cowards.

OP
OP
Jul 26, 2018
Oblivion still has the best guilds in my opinion. The Dark Brotherhood is a classic and possibly my favorite of all time. The Thieves Guild was awesome. And while the Mage's Guild and the Fighter's Guild weren't as flashy... no game has made a guild feel as real as they did in Oblivion. You go from town to town and gain acceptance from the various guild masters. You work your way to the higher ranks and by the time you become a master, it really feels like you've earned it.

They dropped the ball so hard in Skyrim in this regard. Outside of the the Thieves Guild, the guilds felt like such a step down to me.
I do remember having a great time doing the Mage's Guild quests in Oblivion. I also did The Dark Brotherhood ones I think. Those were the days.

Wifey completed The Dark Brotherhood questline in ESO, it's not the same really.

OP
OP
Jul 26, 2018
A mod kindly fixed the typo in the thread title, I hope that's enough to get people back on topic.

Nobody mentioned Fallout so far, I expected that find that name in here