• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
thats not the only way, all you need is states that add up to 270 EC to pledge to give their votes to the winner of the popular vote, which some have been in the process of trying to get done already for years
Getting Puerto Rico and D.C. as states would help that along. Red states are never gonna accept that. On top of that, you have to get over the supreme court with that when enough states sign on.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
No disrespect, but some of you guys need to revisit a history class...

Few have ever said our form of democracy was perfect, but when identifying the types of government one could have your choices range from less bad to awful. It's referred to as an experiment purposefully...

Nov 10, 2019
The President is literally irrelevant in the amendment process.
Not gonna happen. Best you can hope for right now is that enough states agree to vote based on the popular vote. It's a currently non-binding agreement (NPVIC) that is working towards a condition where the Electoral College is effectively eliminated even if it's not legally removed.
If the Democrats took control of the Senate in 2020, would they be able to push that legislation then?

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being able to see that democracy has glaring as fuck problems doesn't mean you have to support anything else more.

I mean, the U.S. isn't the only clusterfuck in the west right now. Trump sticks out, but you have Britain's FPTP leading to tories, plus you have Brexit that was pure popular vote and the far right isn't exactly wiped out in Europe either.
The op seems to think China has the right idea...

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's on democracy itself. It's that governments have been corrupted by the influence on money. Institutions work for the wealthy and exploit and maintain ignorance and racism to advance their goals.

Is reform needed? Abso fucking lutely.

A constitutional amendment is needed to limit the influence of money in politics and restore some semblance of a proper representative democracy.

It's not just the right wing in the way. But also centrist liberals.

Lol. Where the fuck do you think mentally ill and drug addicts go in China?

First reply was before you read the post, huh?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No disrespect, but some of you guys need to revisit a history class...

Few have ever said our form of democracy was perfect, but when identifying the types of government one could have your choices range from less bad to awful. It's referred to as an experiment purposefully...

quote-it-has-been-said-that-democracy-is-the-worst-form-of-government-except-all-the-others-that-have-winston-churchill-37200.jpg

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We could've said the same in the Gilded Age before democracy handled that problem and led to an economy that age only dreamed of. The problems our democracy faces today will hopefully be sorted out as well.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Contrast this with much more authoritarian countries like China, where problems like drugs and homelessness are non-existent, a booming economy (despite Trump's attempts to kill it), and the people aren't desperate. Sure the trade-off is they don't enjoy as much "freedoms" as we do, but their government certainly isn't "failing" their people like ours is. And it's even arguable at this point what type of governments are less "corrupt", democracies or authoritarian states.

Really? I saw plenty of homeless people lying in the sidewalks of Shanghai.
Just because you don't hear about their problems doesn't mean they don't exist. Unlike China, democratic countries usually air their dirty laundry in public. That's one of the reasons everyone's convinced their life/country is so terrible. Add social media, and it leads us to where we are now.

Oct 27, 2017
If anything it shows its strength to check the power of the highest position in the US government. Jesus, one election goes wrong and some of you people turn on something so fundamental as democracy.
Democracy hasn't failed. But it is party over country. Which will be apparent for everyone to see when Trump gets impeached, but not removed from office.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Problems in authoritarian countries do exist, they are just repressed and hidden. Homelessness (or ghetto living) is a thing in all major industrial hubs in China.

The whole thing reeka of "the trains ran in time!!" which was a lie created by the opressive government as a way to legitimize themselves

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
The systems are old, the infrastructure decayed, the populace largely disengaged and propaganda machines are far more focused and expansive than anyone could have possibly planned for.

There isnt anything necessarily wrong with the concept of democracy, or even many of its implementations, if it had the appropriate safeguards and actually tried to keep everyone engaged. The problems with the system are the same problems that will infest every system, if left unchecked- corruption, greed and abuse of power by self interested players.

The US isnt suffering from one bad election - it is struggling under the weight of an untenable economic system, an outdated electoral process, systemic corruption at all levels of governance and institutional racism/sexism/bigotry. Trump is a pustual.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You aren't wrong. The majority of people are too stupid or selfish to handle democracy. Humanity is doomed imho, we will never tackel the problems we need to to stop the collapse of civilization along with the environment in our lifetime. I think our only real hope of long term survival is managing to create a benevolent AI that can run governments for us without stupidity and selfishness coming into play.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
If the Democrats took control of the Senate in 2020, would they be able to push that legislation then?
It's more than a simple law though. Amendments are pretty high bars to pass since they require 2/3 votes in both houses or state legislatures to even bring them to a vote and then 3/4 of the states have to ratify it.

Much higher bar than a simple house majority.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
You aren't wrong. The majority of people are too stupid or selfish to handle democracy. Humanity is doomed imho, we will never take the problems we need to to stop the collapse of civilization with the environment. I think our only real hope of long term survival is managing to create a benevolent AI that can run governments for us without stupidity and selfishness coming into play.

We can't even make an AI that isn't sexist to women applying for jobs.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017

"By the way, if I didn't fire Comey, I would be in some trouble right now," Trump says. "...It turns out to be the best move I ever made, firing Comey, because they were trying to take me down."

Dude is allowed to freely gloat about the complete destruction of rule and law and obscene obstruction and is met with a collective shrug.

We are a failed experiment.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
The US isnt suffering from one bad election - it is struggling under the weight of an untenable economic system, an outdated electoral process, systemic corruption at all levels of governance and institutional racism/sexism/bigotry. Trump is a pustual.

Democracy is also contingent on the public being educated, and those institutions are in a damn freefall.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
The problems are xenophobia , racism, and the infrastructure that push those to hold power. Most people in the government don't want to root it out.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the U.S. isn't the only clusterfuck in the west right now. Trump sticks out, but you have Britain's FPTP leading to tories, plus you have Brexit that was pure popular vote and the far right isn't exactly wiped out in Europe either.
While all of this is true, a temporary aberration in "the other side" winning doesn't indicate the failure of western democracy. The whole point of the system is constant elections, and that runs the risk of bad actors winning.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe.

Then again, you probably just have an axe to grind against the United States, OP.

Have fun.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
I know that I haven't thought this through completely and my thoughts aren't totally coherent, but I still think there is an argument here that the election of all these extremist, authoritarian leaders around the world is a sign that western democracy is failing its citizens. Contrast this with much more authoritarian countries like China, where problems like drugs and homelessness are non-existent, a booming economy (despite Trump's attempts to kill it), and the people aren't desperate. Sure the trade-off is they don't enjoy as much "freedoms" as we do, but their government certainly isn't "failing" their people like ours is. And it's even arguable at this point what type of governments are less "corrupt", democracies or authoritarian states.
Sure the trade-off is they don't enjoy as much "freedoms" as we do

Oh is all they're sacrificing? That's it? What a deal!

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
No, this is part of the process. A democratic society has its stumbles, but if anything this shows that there are not enough laws preventing the control of information by a few individuals or corps.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Democracy is also contingent on the public being educated, and those institutions are in a damn freefall.

I've never really been a fan of this take. We had democracy in the 1800s. People were not somehow better educated a hundred years ago than they are today.

If people are dumb it's incumbent on the politicians to use smaller words, and the media and parties to push back against bad candidates. The pushback is what was lacking. If you want to blame the elites for Trump, blame the ones who knew he was a danger and a moral abomination but counted the cost to themselves for speaking out more dearly than the cost to the country because "Hillary's definitely going to win anyway." Those are the people who helped put him in office, cynically, for personal gain.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, felt like you just threw in China in there because you haven't really researched this topic enough.

Might want to reconsider actually looking into the politics of other countries first, then provide a more nuance, and fuller topic of discussion.

An argument can certainly be made on your core topic, but the way you framed it here, especially with the faulty example of China as a comparison, without delving deeper into the deeper issues which underlie those perceived "benefits" of the system, isn't great for your overall conversation you'd actually want on this topic.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
One problem with democracy is that it favours the position of the majority by definition. And you'll find that often this majority doesn't give a fuck about minorities.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
This thread is making me wonder many Americans would shrug and go about their day if tomorrow the military installed mayor Pete and ran the show, went hard on Russia, and weren't overtly sexist/racist/homophobic?

(not bc of the responses, just wondering in general)

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is making me wonder many Americans would shrug and go about their day if tomorrow the military installed mayor Pete and ran the show, went hard on Russia, and weren't overtly sexist/racist/homophobic?

(not bc of the responses, just wondering in general)

why would the military install mayor pete

OP
OP
CaptSpaulding

CaptSpaulding

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Maybe we need a protective republic system in place where we indirectly vote for people, with the people actually elected tasked with doing what's right rather than just selecting the most popular person.

Or at least that's what the US' founders thought would work. Turns out, direct democracy in the US would be significantly better, as both Gore and Clinton would've been President.

You seem to be working on the assumption that Trump cannot win the popular vote, but thats not something i can even be confident about at this point, the way things are going (and assuming he isnt removed)

pauloshinobi

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
User Banned (permanent): dismissing ethnic cleansing

It's almost like racism is not a problem unique to America!

(We can't solve it with Medicare for All, either.)

The PRC is currently in the midst of a massive purge of Uighur Muslims for their ethnicity and religion, complete with shipping all the men to camps and sending Han men to rape their wives and raise their children.

On the other side, reports says that Chinese Government is modernizing Uighur region, while respecting their religion and traditions, building mosques and muslim schools. Factories have their schedules adjusted to their time for prayings, etc.

We need to be aware that major economic players in west own the big media. There is a trade war happening.

May 30, 2018
Lol if you think it's bad now, wait till we get mass deepfakes + rising ethnic population

Trump 2.0 but with a brain to implement his agenda is gonna win soon, it's only a matter of time

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Democracy gets one thing very right, transition of power.

On most places, every 4 years, no matter how good is perceived or how well its doing, the govt needs to transition.

The problem is everything around that. politicians try to game this transition in a myriad of ways. Not only politicians, but corporations as well, through lobbying for example, they pay every politician to hedge their bets, the political parties that centralize the directives to whoever is there, etc.

everything around the ideia of transition of power needs to be regulated. The power of the executive branch needs to be checked, yes, but the problem is everyone hold their breaths for who is next and all institutions want to make sre the person is someone they choose, and this brings about alot of trouble,

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I've never really been a fan of this take. We had democracy in the 1800s. People were not somehow better educated a hundred years ago than they are today.

If people are dumb it's incumbent on the politicians to use smaller words, and the media and parties to push back against bad candidates. The pushback is what was lacking. If you want to blame the elites for Trump, blame the ones who knew he was a danger and a moral abomination but counted the cost to themselves for speaking out more dearly than the cost to the country because "Hillary's definitely going to win anyway." Those are the people who helped put him in office, cynically, for personal gain.

Well I'll concede that it's gonna require a much deeper dive on the topic than we're going to get into here. But what I'm thinking is, the level of actual education doesn't seem to be the crux of the matter as much as the chaotic misinformation that takes its place (and little or no means to resist it).

There was probably a lot of misinformation in the 1800s, but the magnitude and scale of it today is utterly decimating people's ability to reason, even if they are generally more educated. That's my quick glance at the issue, anyway.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
On the other side, reports says that Chinese Government is modernizing Uighur region, while respecting their religion and traditions, building mosques and muslim schools. Factories have their schedules adjusted to their time for prayings, etc.

We need to be aware that major economic players in west own the big media. There is a trade war happening.

wouldn't these major economic players in the west who own big media want to keep a healthy relationship with china and avoid a trade war since that would impact their wallets? so insinuating that these "good" things aren't being reported by these western media outlets...to...further hurt their owner's wallets seems counter intuitive, no?

because I lowkey believe was grown in a lab to be the ideal inoffensive, socially liberal front man for military industrial and market intrests?

I mean you could pick someone else it it makes you feel better

well uh he's gay so that already offends a large group of the country

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Failure would imply the whole system went into chaos.

We aren't there yet fam...how many of you ever been to a 3rd world country? One election in the history of 250 years+ and you all are acting like there is no hope left. Smh, democracy still stands. It's bad, but it's not Dictator bad yet

Yeah holy shit.

and goddamn Russia played everyone like a fiddle. I don't get how this is constantly getting overlooked.

They've made all the right moves to sow discord and disbelief. and No this isn't putting the sole blame on them, but they knew all the right buttons to push to use our own internet infrastructure to disrupt it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.