• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Killmonger without his tragic background and rage wouldn't be the same character. You might as well ask Marvel to bring back goofy Thanos from What If. If you take away his strongly held belief in radical black nationalism, you're left with a complete husk, the GOP version of MLK at best.
I mean it really depends on the what if, If they do it so his father never left Wakanda and he grew up parallel to T'challa he would probably have similar demeaner

But I guess he would have to do an Wakanda accent, which is yet to be tested

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I like Michael B Jordan. He isn't shy about being a fan of Boruto's dad. His character was great, but making him BP is like forcing a square peg into a round hole.

I don't agree with this at all. Not with the set up presented in the recent Loki series which allows creativity to mold characters into any shape they need them to be for any purpose.

The current timeline is an important one to protect according to the newly established rules of the game. This can give any incentive for any number of characters from alternate realities to jump in regardless of how their characters played out in the past decade of MCU films

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She's making a movie for Ben Shapiro's company right now. The director of it actually killed two people when he crashed into a bar.

2235-m.webp

Oct 27, 2017
Yea no shit lol, I loved his performance too

But it doesn't change the fact that he's dead, and bringing in a multiverse version to rule Wakanda from a universe different from his own is silly for obvious reasons

But again, the consistently awesome Okoye is right there, no universe hopping required

Are we acting like the MCU hasn't been silly?

It's definitely not anything worse than Peter Parker ripping a hole into the universe and bringing in multiple villains and Peter incarnations from franchise past.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
So looks like Black Panther was a one off..

...never made a sequel...nope doesn't exist.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It's definitely not anything worse than Peter Parker ripping a hole into the universe and bringing in multiple villains and Peter incarnations from franchise past.

Let's not be disingenuous man, FFH is just giving Peter some villains/heroes to interact with at the end of the day, whereas what people are suggesting is to get a multiverse Killmonger, have him be the new Black Panther/ruler of Wakanda despite that making no sense for multiple reasons, on top of Okoye, Nakia, etc. being right there

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

One is a silly excuse to fan-crossover your previous franchises (which things have done for decades, from Batman to Star Trek) and people will accept as silly.

The other is an awkward excuse to step around the grim reality that your lead has passed away.

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
Can we get an alternate universe where she is the bad one and Killmonger is trying to get things right?

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Yeah.....I need to see some spoilers before I see this. Especially if she does become the new BP.

What a PR nightmare.

Nasu

Feb 11, 2021
Let's not be disingenuous man, FFH is just giving Peter some villains/heroes to interact with at the end of the day, whereas what people are suggesting is to get a multiverse Killmonger, have him be the new Black Panther/ruler of Wakanda despite that making no sense for multiple reasons, on top of Okoye, Nakia, etc. being right there

Positive black male representation is important and I don't think making Black Panther a black woman is the right way.
Yes we had our beloved (not really) sidekicks, and one of them got an absolutely terrible disney+ series and will get an (probably) absolutely terrible movie, but I think Black Panther being a black man is important.
On that note, representation within the MCU is absolute crap to begin with. I shouldn't even feel this way and this also goes for (black) woman who wan't BP to be a woman.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Positive black male representation is important and I don't think making Black Panther a black woman is the right way.
Yes we had our beloved (not really) sidekicks, and one of them got an absolutely terrible disney+ series and will get an (probably) absolutely terrible movie, but I think Black Panther being a black man is important.
On that note, representation within the MCU is absolute crap to begin with. I shouldn't even feel this way and this also goes for (black) woman who wan't BP to be a woman.

That's a different topic altogether. All I'm saying is it's weird to compare the idea of multiverse Killmonger being the same kind of silliness as FFH essentially being another crossover movie. The former is just unnecessarily jumping through hoops to get MBJ back when we don't need to.

And for the record, I settled on wanting T'Challa to just be recast, but Feige and co. disagreed sadly. Well, not that I blame them, it's a hard decision either way, but yea :(

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Because the director works directly with the actors and I would hope the guy in charge of the whole production on the ground has the presence to go "hey, stop it" when someone is spouting blatant, destructive falsehoods on set.

Yes, it is totally that easy to get antivaxx morons to shut the hell up.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing she will be BP for like 20 mins of the movie before there is a big swerve.

I'm currently thinking of any of the current actors from BP up against Namor and maybe Dr Doom and yeah nope.

With what if... the upcoming Spiderman movie, Dr Strange and the multiverse of madness and the idea of variants, they have a multitude of ways to fix these issues.

Also I'll say it again.

The idea that Disney is going to hang a billion dollar franchise on Letitia Wright is laughable. I like her as an actress but even Lupita Nyong'o is not going to be able to carry this film on her back.

I'd say the same for others they are great supporting actors, but you still need someone charismatic as the centrepiece to work around.

Killmonger is obviously not going to work variant or otherwise but I'm sure Coogler and Feige have an ace up their sleeve.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I don't understand why she's still being hired by Disney. Hopefully people can do something because imagine working with someone like that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is totally that easy to get antivaxx morons to shut the hell up.

If you're her boss, you can basically say "these are the rules to follow on my set, and if you don't follow them, I'll report you to HR and the producers". Coogler may not be able to fire her directly but he can absolutely report her for creating a hostile work environment or causing an unsafe set. All of that can be grounds for breach of contract.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017

I agree.

Which is why Feige's decision was disappointing. BP was out of all the MCU movies the one with the strongest female presence and not as damsels, but as warriors.

But Chadwick held that movie down and was it's centre. His appearances in What If have solidified that for me.

I'm not going to make this a who gets the scraps black men or black women. As lead roles for both in any of these movies is threadbare enough.

But a shared mantle with a new male character would be the best idea. We need someone whose able to hold court with the other top MCU characters. And go toe to toe with powerful villains. Look how much authority T'Challa held when he talked to other superheroes or in combat.

I've seen people suggest M'Baku, but even Killmonger would make more sense than him.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Ah gotcha. She could be on the suit for a scene or two so I️ wouldn't get to up in arms about her being the new BP until we hear anything.
FYI the sert leak rumour turned out to be false, she wasn't seen wearing the suit. Turns out they were all just wearing coats before shooting a scene and they were wearing normal clothes in the scene.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Came in here expected something new, got a lot of nothing on new developments for this topic it seems.
"A set source says she has espoused similar views about the COVID-19 vaccines on the Atlanta production" could mean literally anything as it has no context.

From "she got on a soap box and ranted about it" to "someone overheard her having a private convo with someone who's also part of the ... 44% of Hollywood people who are anti-covid 19 vax (According to THR) about the vax" to "Someone on set asked her about the vax, and she maintains that she's still wary of the vaccine/ not convinced".
Seems like a nothing burger to me, don't think people should be trying to point blame at the director as we have zero clue about the context behind this (Nor do I know if being anti-covid 19 vaccine is in the same league as being homophobic/ racist/ sexist in terms of "Things you shouldn't be allowed to say at work") ... but I guess that at this point people fill in the blanks however they feel.

The most interesting thing about this article to me is the news of just how split HW is on this.
Apparently 44% being not fully vaxxed, Studios having to work with Unions because there's no mandate that everyone has to be vaxxed, Rob Schneider is apparently very vocally anti-covid 19 vax AND anti-mask on his twitter (News to me), Anthony Anderson with a pretty chill take that I agree with, an unnamed starring lead on "The Offer" costing the production close to 6mill because they're not vaxxed and got covid and may have started a covid outbreak among other unvaxxed crew members. Fascinating stuff. I have seen Wright wear a N95 mask in one of the production pictures, and given how frugal Disney is I'm, assuming they're keeping people as safe as they can to avoid any outbreaks.

So yeah ... I still maintain that her yeeting herself off Social Media is pretty much the best thing she coulda done, so I'm fine with her as an actor as she's not constantly and consistently pumping this stuff with her platform like Gina and Rob. I've always known that people in HW are just as likely to fall into these kinds of fuckery-beliefs as anyone else, most are just vigilant enough to not be public about it. Seeing how 44% are split on the vaccine reaffirms that.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Just trying to be the poor crew having to listen to her bullshit… Poor people.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They should've delayed the movie. Pushed it back. Not started production not even a year after Chadwick Boseman's death.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how Ryan Coogler feels about this. Usually the director can have some sway on set with actors and such.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
User banned (3 days): Ableist language
LOL she fires her reps for how they handled the shit she put out there on social media. What a fucktard.

But not surprising when there's still people out there not-so-slyly excusing her.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Listen.

Zack Snyder fucking reshot an entire role with a different actor and it was flawless implementation.

You're not gonna tell me that the character that's gonna be in costume and with a mask 70% of the time can't be replaced.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Listen.

Zack Snyder fucking reshot an entire role with a different actor and it was flawless implementation.

You're not gonna tell me that the character that's gonna be in costume and with a mask 70% of the time can't be replaced.
Tig Nataro IS Black Panther!! Coming This Summer!