• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
You had me at chocobo party member in Ivalice OP... But then you lost me because I couldn't tell from your pitch if it plays like Final Fantasy VII (yes!) Or Final Fantasy XV (hard no).

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Give a PS1 style FF game with good graphics...

THAT IS ALL THEY NEED TO DO. FCK U SQUARE ENIX, STOP MAKING SHITTY ENGINES AND TRYING TO REINVENT THE FCKIN WHEEL. LOOK AT DQ XI, EVERYONE LOVES IT BECAUSE IT DOESNT CHANGE THE DQ FORMULA, HOW IS THIS SO HARD TO GRASP? FCK U SQUARE ENIX!

Still love you square enix

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
Sorry dude that doesnt fo anything for me.. heres my short pitch.

Main character is a female orphan whos spent her entire life in a monestary. On her 18th birthday the power of magic, which was lost 1000 years ago, awakens within her. Now on the run and torn between a great machine war she must fulfill her destiny as the last great spellcaster and bring an end to the great war.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I find it funny/sad that most of the time I read these "fan" pitches for different games, the gameplay and gameplay-routine got mostly neglected (which is imo the most important and the meat of a game). A pitch only about the scenario, story and chararcters is useless imo.

exactly! Ivalice-Zodiac-Moogle-Mage isn't a game its a bunch of nonsense words.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
"First... we are going back to Ivalice-verse."

Next idea please. I want them to do something completely balls crazy. BALLS I SAY

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Always down for some more Ivalice !

Now, about some of the things you've not considered :
- release date : in 5-6 years, unless SE decide to switch graphical engine mid dev, because.
- graphics : lifelike, with everything the technology has to offer up to this point, because we all know FF fans are graphic whores first and foremost (/s)
- combat : real time, mash X to auto combo.
- summons : only 3 or 4 available, can only use them on the verge of death
Oh wait...

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My pitch is basically look at the early 1900s setting of Valkyria Chronicles and mix that up with the style of FFIX and FFXIV. Keep in mind the the characterizations of IX and XII in particular for the cast as well.

More importantly, get some good artists and level designers to make all of it visually interesting as hell.

Meanwhile, the gameplay itself can go either way, so long as it makes sense.

CD3SCBcUkAAbloJ.jpg
tenor.gif

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All I know is that it has to be steampunk to some degree. Thats where FF always thrived (6,7,9).

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Techno-fantasy is where it's at, lol.

FF12 looked like someone mashed together LotR with Star Wars and threw in some muskets just for the hell of it. They can return to that nonsense as much as they want, IMO. I don't care if they call the world Ivalice or Ithaslice or whatever. Just as long as I don't want to strangle the writers and I'm not bored or frustrated by the gameplay.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
Ok, so, this is my "elevator" pitch for Final Fantasy XVI. The purpose is to try and refresh the franchise in a fun and interesting way that would be commercially viable and would get fans new and old aboard.

It's an Elevator Pitch so it's entirely simplistic and condensed, alright? Alright.

First... we are going back to Ivalice-verse. We are reviving the Zodiac Braves story. With a new coat of paint of course... a tale of 12 Crystals, 12 guardians of the "Solar Arsenal" . The original Zodiac Braves.

The Solar Arsenal are your summons. Fragments of the 4 Crystals of magic that were shattered across the land. The crystals awaken when they find a bearer they consider worthy and awards then it's power ( Class / Summons ) . The crystal bearers are the Zodiac Braves. We now have a tale of a band of chosen heroes roaming across the land trying to find all the 12 Zodiac braves in order to stop a great evil. Simple, epic plot, direct to the point. Of course... not all 12 zodiac braves are going to be good guys or simply party members.

But we need a cast to start. a Cast fans can get behind.

Our main character is a female hero, monk class, guardian of the Leo stone. Consider a Fit, athletic main lead that is both brave and energetic.

Her initial supporting cast is her best friend and trusty mount and partner in adventures a Chocobo. The guardian of the Sagittarius stone. Imagine having a Chocobo as an active party member in battle and in the story.

The second supporting cast member is the lead's mentor. And with that one we are going a bit goofy. It's a Moogle. But a huge one. Consider a human sized, large, rotund Moogle with an Eyepatch and a face scar. Axe user, Guardian of the Taurus Stone. A Joyful boasting freak of a Moogle with a heart of gold.

One other character that joins our cast later one are twins. One black Mage, one White mage. Guardians of the Gemini Stone. They will be the ones to teach you how to harness the power of the Zodiac Stones and they fight and act in and out of batlte as a single character. So, not only you will have access to summons through them, but you also get a "Limit Break" of sorts. Or more than one... this duo particular Limit Break, makes them "fuse" into a Mystical being of great magic power for a limited time. A Red Mage.

Taking a note from FF12 and Tactics, the job system will be modular. Each character has their initial class, but through the game you will be able to access the class of other party members as you meet then alongside your journey. These secondary classes will be your "ascendant" class, which you can equip and change at will and will give your character secondary commands, passive abilities and other buffs and nerfs .

And that's all i got. A Big, colorful, magical world that takes familiar and celebrated elements from Final Fantasy and plays around with them a bit. I think the Franchise needs a bit of this. Final Fantasy needs to take itself a bit less serious and be a tad less pretentious. It's not longer king of the world and not on a class of it's own for a while now... a good decade of ups and downs has made me not only incapable of understanding what's next for the franchise, but also the brand no longer has the benefit of the doubt when it comes to saying stuff like "I'm sure it will be good" . I don't know anymore.

So, if i were to pitch a Final Fantasy 16, this is where i would take it. I think fans would get behind it, i think it has commercial appeal, and i think it sounds like a interesting game that is not just the other stuff we already have around all the time.

So, let me turn this around to you guys... do you have a pitch of your own?

thank u, next.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Lost me as soon as you said Ivalice

Just transfer the battle system from DQXI(or any traditional turn based FF) to the next FF and focus instead on the story and characters.

If I had to pick a theme to follow then go whimsical. We had the serious stuff and dark stuff with technology. Go the FF9 route.

Also yeah this is all they need to do

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Not a big fan of Ivalice outside of Tactics, but I could never say no to a Moogle party member.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Just look at how the universe of FF14 has a lot of its inspiration on Ivalice and how it *works* incredibly well at crafting a believable and interesting world. There is a base there and it would be utterly careless to not use it effectively. Not to mention that Final Fantasy isn't even trying to create different races anymore, it's just humans and humans and humans. Ivalice has a lot of diversity to tap from that wouldn't make the next Final Fantasy a cringe-fest of uncooked potential.

Well FF14 takes a lot more than just inspiration from Ivalice since a version of Ivalice existed in Eorzea.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I have a pitch and it starts with Lightning.

How slow of an elevator are you riding on?

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Couldn't care less about Ivalice and everything else sounded not very exciting.

They should just copy Final Fantasy IX honestly. Make the battle system faster and have a main character that can sell a bit better (not a furry basically) and that's it, it's really not that hard.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you just want the same game again essentially with prettier graphics? Sounds terribly boring and been there done that.

I rather have something entirely new, even if it means something that is more risky and something I may potentially not like.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
Gimme a perfectly balanced mixture of turn based and action combat with a class/job system
Make it kind of where you can only do so much movement or attacks per turn and speed/dexterity and good decisions in battle dictates whether or not you go more than once per turn kind of like the press turn system from SMT4 but movement on the field like fire emblem but on a 3d plain so you can jump or fly around but only in the area that your stats allow per turn and you get a certain amount of MP and Ap per turn. Dunno if that has been done before

As for classes and jobs make it like the old school way but add new classes and allow for training of skills and being able to switch classes while retaining exp and bonuses from classes or jobs that you leveled through as well as being able to craft or customize unique weapons for each class and job that can be used in other jobs once an occupation has been leveled to completion. As well as being able to earn unique skills from each job

Also give it some varied locations in the world like a super dank pirate ship, or beautiful lost ruins in a jungle or body of water or castles in sprawling mountain ranges . And make it feel like it actually covers a good portion of the game world not just 3 or 4 cities and that's it.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
A new version of the incredible locations of FF12 would be dope. The art design was so strong because of how inspired and daring it was.

latest
latest

latest
latest

latest

and cool new races and armor design like this
latest
latest

latest

Ivalice has so much more to deliver. There's a reason the FF14 Ivalice raid is so well-liked.

Well FF14 takes a lot more than just inspiration from Ivalice since a version of Ivalice existed in Eorzea.

Absolutely, Hydaelyn is an excellent world, but it does have some things crossing between the two, before Eorzeavalice was integrated into the world.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
What's the purpose of this thread? Does OP just want to share his FF fangame idea?
I was contemplating FFXVI being a 16-bit throwback because then maybe we'd get it in the next 3 years. I'm a bit upset at the idea of FF being a one game per generation series now. Fuck HD development. Realistic graphics aren't worth it.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I've nothing to pitch but I'm curious if they will reiterate the FFXV Comrades experience into a proper game. I have not played this but I believe feedbacks were not so bad. If FFXVI or another FF title happens to be in this form, will you be interested in playing?

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
FF9 world, Freya is the protagonist and she is trying to restore Sir Fratley's memory.

The game has 3 acts:
Act1 - Early years, her training, meeting him and then disaster strikes.
She does everything to get him back but when she does, he has amnesia and it just keeps getting worse, she asks for the help of some new and old friends. While trying to produce a cure aboard an airship, they unintentionally create and spread a new disease that is turning parts of Gaia into zombie/ghost towns. In the midst of the action Sir Fratley disappears.

Act2 - She now has to find the cure for the outbreak, while investigating the whereabouts of Sir Fratley. Many people die which makes her question her own motives and it's consequences.
The richest man in Gaia (a pirate with a taste for blood sport) puts out a bounty for a cure, finds it, kills the inventor and keeps it for himself. He makes a tournament with very sadistic rules, in which the victor has to battle him and win, while not killing him, to become his guardian for the rest of his life in exchange for him to give the cure to the people.

Act3 - Out of guilt for the outbreak, Freya decides to participate in the tournament aware of all it's consequences; upon arrival she spots Sir Fratley's name on the rooster.

Gimmie!

Last edited:

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
First... we are going back to Ivalice-verse. We are reviving the Zodiac Braves story.
I mean, I'm not a Square Enix executive, but you can stop right here, because I'm already sold, lol.

Of course, the rest of your pitch is also interesting. I particularly like the giant Moogle guy :). Gives me some good Cait Sith vibes, haha.

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Let me pitch FFXVI to you.
  • Producer: Naoki Yoshida
  • Director: Hiroyuki Ito
  • Scenario: Yasumi Matsuno
  • Character Designer: Akihiko Yoshida
  • Composer: Masayoshi Soken
  • Main theme composer: Nobuo Uematsu
  • Title Logo Designer: Yoshitaka Amano

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I'd like to see a hard sci-fi / space exploration-based FF. With a classic turn based system, and a more "wide linear", less bland open world structure.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Older protective sister, younger impulsive brother. Sheltered from ongoing political, economical, technological and magical conflicts across the world whilst growing up. Narrative is their personal growth as they struggle with various issues. Gameplay centred around a 'bond' system where you can customise each sibling however you want and a lot of magic and abilities synergise depending on how you customise. i.e red mage and archer = flaming arrow hell.

One sibling dies at the end paving the way to a sequel. Conspiracy theorists link FFX/XIII delete as applicable.

daft_cat

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your pitch begins with a desire to commercially revitalize a declining franchise mire by convoluted plots, tropey characters, overwrought world building, and archaic design choices*.

What follows is a jargon-filled, self-referential pitch heavily dependent on lore from past games. Not exactly commercially viable.

The best pitches capture emotion, narrative, and design using simple (but effective) images, ideas and comparisons. And if there's one thing Final Fantasy could use a bit more of moving forward, its simplicity.

*I say this as a longstanding fan of this franchise.

Last edited:

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Set the next FF in space. Fantastical, almost Amano-ish spacefaring vessels criss-crossing the Ivalice star system. Massive crystal planetoids with Moogle miners. Space station Alexandria, based on the form of the classic summon.

Counterbalance the sci-fi themes with a rustic visual design that completely purges all traces of Star Trek influence. No unitard uniforms and no clean white walls. Pure dirty, whispy fantasy, just in space. Maybe a little Dune DNA is acceptable.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I do think bringing back the mix-and-match job system in some fashion would be a great idea; or perhaps an evolution of the Esper/GF concept of attaching specific summons to specific people as a sort of empowering pact. An underrated issue with FF13/FF15 is that the character growth and equipment systems are pretty dull and unrewarding (and I'd posit that improving those aspects of either game would do away with a lot of people's complaints about the battle systems).

World-design-wise I think something zoned like FF12 is a smart bet for places to take the series in the future to be honest.

Don't really care about medieval vs. futuristic as long as the characters and presentation are compelling.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice hate? Did Tactics Advance and Revenant Wings hurt y'all that much?

Popcicle

Unbroken Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You lost me at go back to Ivalice.

I'd prefer not to reexplore any of the old FF worlds in FFXVI, give me something new!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I imagined you telling me this in a a business setting and lost interest as soon as you said ivalice. I like the other parts though such as the cast however.

Rework your pitch to a new setting and meet me in my office later.
I bet you would also talk about shifting paradigms in said meeting

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Ivalice is the best, but yeah, no more retreads. Only new worlds.

It's depressing to think that we haven't had a new SP mainline FF universe since 2006, as we technically saw XV there. Can't wait to see the actual XVI.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Final Fantasy needs to be less character-oriented and more role-oriented, the genre of the main character doesn't matter, it's not like that automatically makes a good or a bad character.

The series needs to have a focus on something. If they want to make a big world to explore and lots of stories to tell on it, then spend like 3/4 of the whole development cycle building that world and working on the lore.

If they want a game explores a deep and meaningful story over the characters, then create characters interesting enough to sustain some dilemmas and some evolution during some kind of journey.

If they want the players to get immersed in an universe they build, then just forget the overworld and work on the locations. Cities like Luca (FFX) and Archades (FFXII) are good examples. Of course, good graphics can be done by anyone these days, but a fully functional fantasy city isn't something easy to do, and I think FF lacks on that department.

Of course, nothing on this can save a bad or mediocre screenplay or a fault gameplay. But establish a focus should be the main point for the future of the series.

They should stop to make stupid games with Gods or Goddesses, or at least study Theogony of Hesiod or at least some real philosophy that isn't written by a Teenager
I'm ready to receive the stones thrown at me.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I don't know why everyone is so reluctant to use Ivalice again. At least with a set universe we won't have to worry about SE fucking up the world or theme of the game. We can think of the possible world themes of a FF game as a continuum between fantasy and technology/sci-fi. We've had enough of the futuristic games for a while now, we need to return back to medieval fantasy with added tech like Ivalice.

OP
OP
Araujo

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I don't know why everyone is so reluctant to use Ivalice again. At least with a set universe we won't have to worry about SE fucking up the world or theme of the game. We can think of the possible world themes of a FF game as a continuum between fantasy and technology/sci-fi. We've had enough of the futuristic games for a while now, we need to return back to medieval fantasy with added tech like Ivalice.

Ding!

Also, to the people saying "Final Fantasy In Space" ... oh, you mean Star Ocean?

Cause that's how you get Star Ocean.

How about just making a good RPG?

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh you just have to make it GOOD?! *slaps forehead* OH right!! Yeah, no, totally, yah!

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice is my favourite Final Fantasy world, but I'd rather see a new setting (preferably fantasy heavy, and no sci-fi shit).