• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does it bother you?

• It does

Votes: 52 15.3%
  • no lol

Votes: 286 84.4%

• Total voters

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I dont know about thumbnails on the menu, but the lack of effort put into the thumbnails in the trophy list drives me insane, and I know I'm in the minority, but holy shit, what is this:
2ff31580.png

b2cc12518.png

f827462.png

0efa1216.png

1624650.png

3cbc6221.png

18bd1269.png

6fb81135.png
When they could look like this:
a4a619152.png

5ddf7028.png

ff985818.png

7b9a9167.png

8c7218461.png

def27942.png

I mean, the name already appears next to the card, why does the image have to be just a font?
So lazy...

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I think devs could include 3-5 pre-set options and let users pick. A bit like reverse covers for discs. I would honestly love a feature like that as it would allow some level of customization to our collections. I feel like user avatars are wasted since almost everyone picks one and sticks with it forever from what I've seen. So use that effort towards art for game covers/displays.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
This is just more Switch icon type stuff... look, I get that there are some ugly icons out there, but there is no logical way it should impact your purchasing decision to this extent. The content of the game matters far more than some little picture on the home screen, c'mon.
Purchases are rarely rational/logical anyway, this stuff is all frivolous entertainment.

I choose how I spend my money. If something annoys me, I won't buy it.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I think game thumbnails should be the same regardless of the version you have.

Game thumbnails should good. Isn't there a thread just dedicated to game thumbnails on the switch? The game icons should always be consistent and have the title.

OP
OP
Mathiassen

Mathiassen

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
If you click on the icon and go to the full screen timer, does it show the Digital Deluxe icon there? I vaguely remember it showing the store icon on that screen (although it's been about half a decade since I've last preloaded anything on PS4, so my memory could be wrong). I think that's what OP might be confusing it with.

EDIT: like these. These screens show the icon of whatever you bought off the store, not the game icon
35ouykcwhno11.jpg

CvxIdgrWAAAkJvL.jpg
Yeah, this is what must have confused me.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Create your own game, then you can use whatever you want on the thumbnail... Within the TOS of course. :)

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely one of those little perks of PC gaming. I can change the tile art of all my games! I probably won't, but it's nice for the few that're bad.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
How much time do you waste just looking at your home screen and not playing games. One of the weirdest threads on era well done OP.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care, but I would like to have options to use photo mode or being able to import my own art for these. I always like highly customizable interfaces, and the ability to customize exactly that on steam is great!

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
OP, I don't know if Sony still has it, but they used to have a suggestion box somewhere on the blog pages. Maybe suggest it.

But if this is anything other than a High Value Low Effort piece of development work, it's gonna be permanently bumped down the Kaban board until the end of time.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
You refunded a game... because of the thumbnail? That's uhm... pretty wild, OP.

I mean, it can annoy me, for sure. I'd love to have an option to select your own thumbnail, like Steam. But refunding a game for it? That's going a little far...

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
That is something I never even considered.
I don't think I care at all what the pic is as long as I can tell what it is.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It doesn't bother me but it would be pretty neat if you could set your own thumbnail using screenshots you've taken or something.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
I literally couldn't care less what the icon I click looks like. It has zero affect on my enjoyment of the game.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Do you care about the look of PS4 games thumbnail on the home screen? Do Digital Deluxe "bands" across the artwork bother you? Do you think Silver/Gold/Platinum versions are just tacky?
Because I just refunded the Digital Deluxe edition of The Last of Us Part 2 for the Standard version *just* because of the game thumbnail.

Please tell me I'm not alone.
Maybe I haven't noticed, but I've never seen a game icon, after downloading, that has "digital deluxe" or what version of the game it is on the icon. Like, it's on the PSN page and stuff but the actual game icon usually matches the standard game icon, right?

In any event, no it does not bother me but if the option helps those who are bothered by it then sure, maybe Sony should look into this.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
It would be nice to be able to change it, but the PS4 dashboard looks so shitty, bad icons don't really stand out.