• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I hope I get corrected to hell and back because I like learning about better skincare, so pipe up if you're an expert. Or PM me and I'll edit if you don't wanna look like you're calling me out but it's fine either way.

This is basically a PSA to go read the fantastic Leona Lewis thread called Let's Talk About Skincare - it will change much of what you think about skincare if you've just been buying your average drugstore brand or worse, those special Men's Brand skin regimens that are scented or cooling.

Now I'm no expert - unlike some of the good folk in the OP of the thread listed above - but I do have some go to points of info. Much of this I've come to from hearing the good sir Leona so if you want the scientific info in depth, again I beg you to go to the thread linked above.

First off: many brands in drugstores for men and women are dyed, perfumed, offer scrubs, and have alcohol.

This is all trash.

Scrubs and brushes for skin? Turns out they cause microscopic irritation and tears in healthy skin. So skip them. They're just aging you and filling fish with plastic beads. The better skincare brands don't even sell scrubs, like CeraVe or Paula's Choice. More on how you can shed dead skin the smart way in the skincare thread. Exfoliation rocks when done chemically with BHA/AHA in moderation, but physical exfoliation is often troubling. So skip the physical motion of scrubbing your skin.

Next up? Dyes. You just don't need them, and good news is the better skincare brands don't even use them.

Closely related but more rampant: fragrance. Fragrance is an irritant. It's just setting you back. Hence why, again, the better skincare companies don't even sell products with fragrance. This is not to say you can't buy from brands if they offer a good fragrance free product in addition to some crappy products. But if you bought some Sephora or Neutrogena with fragrance or scrubs? You done bad.

Alcohol: there's varying types. Some are just fatty alcohols that help make products sit better or have better texture and that's fine. But many have straight up Alcohol, Alcohol Denat., or ethanol - IRRITANTS. Often products like masks and toners use shitty alcohol. Watch out!

And lastly fuck cooling effects. Menthol is a weird mix of the above that has no benefit and just irritates your skin.

So check your bottle and throw it in the trash! It's probably some men's brand claiming it was designed just for masculine little you and smells like it too! Or it's a scrub and is fucking you up!

Easy to find in North America brands to live by (that don't break any of the above rules ever to my knowledge):

Paula's Choice
CeraVe
The Ordinary
Curology

Now go to the thread I linked!

EDIT: Are y'all not using SPF? That's like the number one skincare must. Again, go to the thread linked above.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
images

I've been using minoxidil to try to stimulate facial hair growth and the alcohol in the product dries out my face horribly. Nivea Soft was recommended by a lot of other minox users and I have to say it is the best feeling lotion I've ever used. It's for face and body so it being multi-use is an added bonus.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I use a CeraVe moisturizer at night and a Garnier moisturizer with SPF30 for the daytime. I also switched to using a CeraVe cleanser because I felt like the CosRX Good Morning cleanser I was using was just a little too harsh on my skin.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
All of my stuff right now is CeraVe. It's not out of brand loyalty, but it was one of a few brands on my list when I wanted to get serious and happened to be on sale when I picked it up.

It's been great compared to cheaper stuff I'd used in the past. I also like that costco has been carrying their lotion on and off this year.

Jan 11, 2019
You know what I use? WATER!

and deodorant, and soap for my hands

nothing else. Fukk beauty products, fukk em all to hell.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If you're going to talk about the benefits of specific products or routines, post your skin as proof. Your purchases are meaningless without results ~

If you're going to talk about the benefits of specific products or routines, post your skin as proof. Your purchases are meaningless without results ~

I'd love to see this. I never know what to buy. I just use Oil of Olay and whatever random face scrub looks interesting. Probably the only thing I do right is drink 8 glasses of water a day. Tell me that's right. I need to be doing something right.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Scented products are the devil. North American skincare companies for the most part don't give a fuck about your skin lol.

The Ordinary
Cerave
Paula's Choice are all good companies though.

spindashing

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, New York
Shea Moisture products left me an acne ridden mess.

CeraVe and Paula's Choice saved me. I do use Thayer's Witch Hazel toner, which has a scent obviously. I should probably try something new but it has not done me any wrong so far.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
People's skin is so different and reacts to products / foods / hormones / etc so different the best advice is arguably try various products and change your diet and roll a dice until you find something that works for you. I could use 12 products in a day and have garbage skin as long as I'm eating cheese still, or use 2 and change my diet and have better skin.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Also, stop using electric spin brushes, they're terrible for your skin. Use a vibrating brush that oscillates

You telling me my St Ives apricot facial scrub I have been using for years is bad for me?

Physical exfoliators are absolutely terrible for healthy skin. You're simply causing a shitload of microtears in your skin then putting whatever chemicals into said tears which will end up ravaging your skin and making it look worse in the long run.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
You know what I use? WATER!

and deodorant, and soap for my hands

nothing else. Fukk beauty products, fukk em all to hell.

You don't have to have a 15-part regimen to make use of good beauty products.

My job requires a lot of hand washing and touching things that dry out my hands. I have to moisturize to counter that. It also has me outside for a few hours a day, so I need to protect my skin from the sun. Regular sunscreen, even if it claims to be for the face, is fine on my arms but it feels awful on my face and has caused breakouts in the past. A quality facial moisturizer with SPF 30 actually feels nice and does the job.

I started taking a medication off and on a few years ago that was followed by occasional cystic acne. I'd been using a good soap on my face, but it couldn't tackle this. I haven't seen so much of a hint of anything on my face since I switched to the cleanser I use.

Bonestorm

Oct 27, 2017
It might sound crazy but that Leona Lewis thread completely fixed my skin finally around a year and a half ago. This was as a 32 year old.

Cetaphil Cleanser
BHA
Hadalabo lotion

Felt like a miracle. I think the real MVP is the BHA for me.

Nov 9, 2017
Physical exfoliators are absolutely terrible for healthy skin. You're simply causing a shitload of microtears in your skin then putting whatever chemicals into said tears which will end up ravaging your skin and making it look worse in the long run.

Thanks for the reply! What would you suggest I use? I have pretty bad skin from acne when I was a teen and I thought the exfoliation from the St Ives was helping my face look more soft and smooth

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I use my harsh alcohol glasses lens wipes to de-grease the bridge of my nose, am I doing it right?

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I use Nivea shaving cream and post shave balm, and Paula's daily moisturizer spf 50. Sometimes I exfoliate but not consistently with another Paula product.

Oct 27, 2017
Or just don't use any, because you don't need them. That's way easier than reading the components in the labels. Problem solved! If you ever need anything, that's moisturizer cream. And that's pretty much it.

'Skin care' products are the most expensive, useless hobby I can think of, and I'm posting in a videogame forum.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I use Nivea shaving cream and post shave balm, and Paula's daily moisturizer spf 50. Sometimes I exfoliate but not consistently with another Paula product.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I got my (now ex) gf this stuff for Christmas:

shopping

She left it when she moved out so I've been hitting it up. Face feels radiant AF. I will not be buying anymore once I'm done though - I think regular lotion is good enough for me.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Shout out to Leona Lewis and tabris... about a year ago I mix n matched your posts from that skincare thread and it was a gamechanger for me. Basically every issue that had been plaguing me since I was 15 is now completely gone. Thanks!

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Talks about chemical exfoliation, doesn't mention sunscreen.

Lol casual. Chemical exfoliation makes you more susceptible to the sun's damaging UV rays. If you're exfoliating without later applying suncreen you're doing a disservice to your skin. Though you should be wearing sunscreen in general.

(elitism is /s, advice is /real)

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i just use CeraVe Hydrating moisturizer and Cetaphil face wash. However i have mostly dry skin so using products that are made for normal/oily skin types tends to dry out my skin like crazy. the CeraVe moisturizer evens things out but i wish there were more products for those of us with dry skin.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Currently dealing with some long-term acne issues and that included me starting a skincare regime. I think my skin looks better, but my acne still has a long way to go.

Morning Routine: Neutrogena Ultra-Gentle Daily Cleanser and then apply CeraVe Ultra-Light Moisturizer with SPF 30.
Night Routine: Neutrogena Ultra-Gentle Daily Cleanser, CeraVe Moisturizing Cream, and then I apply Finacea (Which is Tretinoin mixed with antibiotic).

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
The stuff I'm using cost a fecking fortune. Way more than the zero I have every spent before. Getting microneedling so needed something.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
I do an 8 step Korean routine. Here are some of my products (not including my sheet masks - don't need to use the Cosrx pads now though as I don't get blemishes anymore really due to my routine and diet):

eOoxHzh.jpg

Can you post what each product is, why you use it and the the steps / instructions for the whole routine?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aren't you either born with good skin, average skin, bad skin? Does any product do anything?

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I like my skin idk
I'd love to see this. I never know what to buy. I just use Oil of Olay and whatever random face scrub looks interesting. Probably the only thing I do right is drink 8 glasses of water a day. Tell me that's right. I need to be doing something right.
You would benefit greatly from reading the Let's Talk About Skincare OP linked in my post.
You telling me my St Ives apricot facial scrub I have been using for years is bad for me?
This one has actually been studied and PROVEN as damaging.
No it's not. Fragrance, dye, and worst of all: MENTHOL.
Aren't you either born with good skin, average skin, bad skin? Does any product do anything?
No! At minimum it's highly proven that SPF skincare products drastically improve how you age! There are many studied ingredients that show positive benefits for acne and aging.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Thanks for the reply! What would you suggest I use? I have pretty bad skin from acne when I was a teen and I thought the exfoliation from the St Ives was helping my face look more soft and smooth

Go for a liquid exfoliant. A good AHA and BHA will do wonders for your skin. Both Paula's choice and The Ordinary carry some much recommended.

Saylic for BHA
Glycolic for AHA

It takes time and commitment to see results, and start off using like 3 times a week until you build up tolerance. Paula's choice website has some pretty nice explanations and getting started guides

Not at all, 80% of skin damage comes from the sun. Much of that is actively preventable, treatable, and maintainable. There have been countless studies done showing the benefits of certain chemical properties on the skin that help with aging and other related problems.

Your skin is like any other part of your body, you can actively work on maintaining and keeping it healthy.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I just use Dove Men's Oil control soap bars and moisturize with jojoba oil.

I've been relatively acne free for over a year.

Before that I used argan oil for acne control successfully for 4 years but the jojoba oil is so much more effective and has a better ratio of linoleic and oleic acid. I'm glad I switched.

I want to mention that I'm a black guy and my skin tends to lean on the oily side (the jojoba oil does an awesome job of taming my oily skin as well).

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Been using Shea Moisture products for years, feel like it's doing a fine job. Then again, I don't have much acne to begin with.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017

This one has actually been studied and PROVEN as damaging.

I've been using this exact one for... 15 years? Almost every day.

RIP MY FACE

What should I use instead? Can you just tell me what to buy? My face feels oily.

I also have some blackheads on my nose and I've tried the strips, but they don't usually help much.