• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think FFVIIR for PS5 will be titled?

• FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE: EVER CRISIS

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE: FINAL MIX

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE: INTERNATIONAL

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE

Votes: 112 60.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
So VII Remake was mine and many other people's GOTY last year, and already rumours are swirling about a PS5 version. However if insiders are to be believed (and they always are) VII Remake's PS5 edition will be more than just a 60FPS 4K port, but will have additional story content. So I was interested to hear what you all expected or hoped for from this upcoming release.

FINAL FANTASY and Nomura are no strangers to expanded editions, and I think looking at past models of re releases could give us some clues as to what we should expect. So I thought I'd go through a few of them.

The 'Final Mix' Model
I will get this out the way first because this is by far my favourite of the models and for sure what I hope we get. This model of rerelease makes substantial changes to the game itself, including new sidequests, several challenging superbosses, and tweaks to the core gameplay. It is also characterised by having lots of new story scenes sprinkled throughout the game, often hinting at what to expect from future games, as well as introducing a few twists. I feel like this would be perfect for VII Remake for 2 reasons. Firstly my main problem with VII Remake was that the side content felt insubstantial and I'd love to see more. The second reason is that the nature of VII Remake's story and its multi-part structure, makes it perfect for those secret scenes that KH Final Mixes did so well. But it's not perfect, as all previous Final Mix releases have required you to re-buy the game, similar to Persona 5 Royal.

The 'International' Model
This was the model of rerelease used by Final Fantasy VII, X, X-2 and XII. I'll be straight with you. This is very similar to the Final Mix model, but there was something that 'felt different' from KH's Final Mix approach. Like the FM approach, the International editions had additional content integrated into the core game, as well as tweaks to the gameplay and sometimes a few extra scenes. You'd even occasionally get a whole new game as with Last Mission. However the Final Mix editions focused heavily on teasing future games, and there were usually a lot more story scenes added. International editions tended to focus more on adding new side content. Again, that additional side content is something I'm dying for so I would love something like this. And I'd be okay if the additional story scenes were more limited. Unfortunately, like the Final Mix, these games were wholly new releases, no DLC, no upgrade, and that means a full $60 price tag. Maybe that won't be the case with

The 'Re:Mind' Model
This is unfortunately the model I think we're gonna get, and it's based on Nomura's latest expanded edition of KH3. The 'Re:Mind' model adds a ton of new story content and new boss battles, but it's segmented off from the main game. In many ways SE treat it like a game in its own right (especially when it comes to pricing LOL! am I right or what?) One of the reasons I like expanded editions is because it gives me a fresh way to replay some of my favourite games, but with the Re:Mind model there's really no reason to do that. It also means that you don't get additional side content peppered throughout the game. Of course it does mean that people who don't want to replay the game, can jump straight in with the new content, so there are certainly advantages. Re:Mind was also a fairly substantial amount of content. I think this is the most likely mode we'll see purely because of that trademark floating around: Ever Crisis. I think Ever Crisis will be a segmented DLC to go alongside a PS5 4K remaster.

The 'Royal Edition' Model
I think it's fair to say that this is the most consumer friendly model. Ignoring for a moment some of the issues with the way FFXV told its story across DLC and movie tie ins, the Royal Pack specifically made substantial changes to the core game, with tons of additional side content, new super bosses, mechanics and substantial story content. The best thing was that if you had the original game you just paid to upgrade, and new buyers could buy the Royal Edition as a full pack for $50. I do think there's a slight downside here that with an upgrade pack you could have different versions of the game being played by different people who have or haven't upgraded. I tend to prefer 'ultimate editions' that become the become the standard version people have played. But I realise that's a nitpick.

The 'Activision' Model
$10 for a marginal resolution upgrade and a neat new skater.

So what do you think is realistic and what do you hope for?

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Sora with Donald and Goofy as optional mega hard secret boss. Barret keeps complaining that he is too old to be fighting talking dog, duck and some teen with a giant ass key.

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
I hope that by being a whole new version of the game on a new console it isn't the Re:Mind model. Re:Mind had a bunch of core combat improvements that just never made it back into base KH3, and if they do that here i'm gonna be bummed out.I'd really like this to be an International version, with enough cool side stuff to justify it and new ways to experiment with the combat sytem to tide everyone over for the long wait. But knowing Square Enix I'll come out of this disappointed somehow lmao.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I don't need more content, I just want the textures to not look like amorphous blobs on PS5

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I hope it's a prettier version and nothing else. Keep everything else for the sequel.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they backport new content to existing versions.............. there's no reason to lock things behind International versions these days

Oct 30, 2017
Just give us 4K 60FPS and that's all I'm asking for.

And Please announce it soon and release it before summer, thank you.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I would rather they add in all the new story stuff for the sequel. They could just make a PS5 version 4K/60 FPS, and add in some VR battles.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Exclusivity also ends in April so I expect that whatever is announced will be a full-price double dip that you can also get on Series X. Probably a Re:Mind style like you describe.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there's any chance in hell they announce a PS5 patch this Thursday at State of Play.

I didn't even know there was a SoP this week before this reply.

I'll copy/paste the things I want from a previous thread:

1. Higher quality textures and 60 fps (I wouldn't be at all surprised if they specifically show the infamous doors for a quick second during the reveal trailer)

2. Improvements to aerial combat (more attacks, enemy tracking, etc)

3. All party members now sit on the bench (yes this is such a minor nitpick but dammit Cloud be a gentleman and make room)

4. More battle banter (breaks my heart Tifa and Aerith don't get any with each other)

5. Not a full-priced upgrade: I would be very surprised if the PS5 version was a free upgrade, as they'll likely use the rumored Tifa DLC and other enhancements as justification to charge you again. So long as it's not a full-price upgrade, I'm fine with that.

6. Speaking of the Tifa DLC, I'll gladly take whatever it has, from new cutscenes to battles to outfits even. But I'm hoping we get more glimpses to her past, including how she originally joined AVALANCHE (which is infuriatingly still the only blank spot in the entire FFVII Timeline)

7. An extra difficulty mode, or a new bonus dungeon.

8. A Secret Movie that teases Part 2. Even an epilogue cutscene would be great.

9. More shortcuts for abilities/spells. They could easily give you a whole extra slot for more awesome combos.

Just to reiterate, I would really love it if the Tifa chapter razor-focused on her relationship with AVALANCHE and how they met up in the first place. They can also work in some more of the Nibelheim incident, because it was really odd how she didn't react at all when the gang confronted Sephiroth (and Aerith asking her "if she was okay" right after makes me wonder if we have some retconned amnesia going on).

OP
OP

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I actually don't think we'll get the Tifa chapter. Just because it was at some point cut out, doesn't mean it'll be first to be put in.

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
I really let my hype regarding the concert a few weeks back get the best of me, so I'm going in really conservative with this approach. I highly doubt we will hear anything related to a potential PS5 version of the game this Thursday. Assuming we do (and eventually when we do), I expect perhaps a few QoL tweaks (higher framerate, resolution), perhaps a few changes like a new weapon or two found in sidequests, and said sidequests giving a few hours of content. Personally, I would absolutely LOVE if we saw another "royal edition", as the way that particular model added in beefy content within the game itself blew my mind and made me triple dip from the ps4, to xbox and eventually PC. Here's to hoping for the best, whatever may come.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Expect a resolution bump, slightly worse lighting, and a handful of new challenges in the VR world (or other things that don't require any new assets).

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
However if insiders are to believed (and they always are)

🤣

This part made me laugh, always take insiders with a grain of salt, unless there's fire lol.

I think it's just going to be an 4k60 port to be honest. I would absolutely love to see more content though.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I could live with any of those except the Activision model. Please don't charge me for a patch just to bump the resolution and fix the door. Whatever it ends up being I hope it's announced soon because I really want to replay it.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And also Aerith and Sephiroth. I do expect story content, but I'm not so convinced by them adding in an entirely new chapter. I think we'll see 'scenes'.

It was the Japanese VAs for Aerith and Sephiroth, wasn't it?

So it stands to reason the NA actors (Tifa and Jessie) refer to new content for part 1, while the JP actors (Aerith and Seph) are teasing part 2.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
The most meaningful distinction between Final Mix and International is really that the former was used for games in a single, continuous narrative while the latter has always been for one-offs, X-2 aside. If they go with this, they're gonna call it the International version because that's the term tied to the brand, but you can bet it would be a Final Mix in substance. Even the base game already spends a lot of time hinting and nodding towards the future.

Re:Mind would be ok I guess.

Royal Edition is a situation you only find yourself in when you ship a game you know isn't finished to start with. I wouldn't factor that in or expect them to replicate it any time soon. It was the smart PR move to patch that stuff in. The audience was savvy to that situation the entire time.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
My wishlist for a definitive edition:
  • 4k60fps, high-res textures
  • new arena battles
  • new side quests
  • new chapter (Tifa?)
  • boss select
  • photo mode
  • materia loadouts
  • playable Red
  • new trophies
If we'll get something like this, I'll happily buy the game at full price again. If it'll be just the first item on the list, I'll disgustedly buy the game at full price again... Seriously Square, please don't make me do it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we'll get a PS5 update any time soon.

Keeping rinsing the PS4 version's sales and then a full priced re-release (with bonus content) later down the line.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I bought FFVIR on Ps4 for ~$29 a month or so ago and have been mulling over how long to wait on a PS5 patch.

Think this Thursday is reasonably the last chance they'd announce one? I feel like we're timing out on that and entering full-blown PS5 "remaster for $60" territory.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever it is, I just hope the PS4 save works or they come up with a way to transfer it (like you could with X/X-2 HD between PS3 and PS4).

Don't get me wrong, it was my GOTY, but after all the work to get the platinum, I'm not really feeling up to going through it again for a while.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck id buy it again with new story content.

Honestly, I'll just be happy with 60fps\4k.

Would be nice if they fixed the textures too.

I could see a red 13 chapter. How he got captured and shit. And make him playable in his own chapter and the game.

And a tifa quest too.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Crossing my fingers we get PNG images instead of JPG images in the background this time. :3

Oct 31, 2017
Just remove the forced slow walking PLEASE. And for the next game no loading masks, and opportunities to grind in each chapter. Thank u

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want Red playable but honestly, I don't want anything major if it would take away development resources from Part 2. Focusing on Part 2 should be the main thing for them.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, would be happy with 4K 60fps and a photo mode.

Anything else would be gravy.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know about this and I still haven't played the game so this is great, will wait for the PS5 version

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
need more end game content...I like the FFX international approach..

but the game is just too linear for my taste, and cannot be fixed imo

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It NEEDS to get a part 1 in the title or anything that tells you it's not the whole FF7 game.
That was still such an odd choice.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Did they even get around to patching that texture issue? It was really bad at parts. 4k 60fps + fixed textures would be nice.

tfxv17p840s41.jpg

final-fantasy-vii-remake-textures.original.jpg

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Graphically, it ran at 1620p/30 on the pro, so there's room for 60fps and a higher res (I won't commit to native 4k) with improved lighting/textures.

I imagine Midgar background will still be a JPEG, that seems like a ridiculous amount of work to model