• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 1, 2017
As a teenager I used to LOVE going into any race with my kitted and tuned RUF CTR2 in GT3 Aspec and lap everything with 4 wheels.

Now, I don't think I'd enjoy that without a challenge created by rubber banding.

MK makes it infuriating because of the items I think.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I always hated this and how obvious it was in F-Zero on SNES. It literally doesn't matter how well you're racing. You could be having as much of a perfect lap as you want, but veer into a border just a tiny little bit and immediately the warning sign appears behind you. It's total bullshit and made me not want to play it.

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
Having the AI rubberband when you're in the lead is bad game design. Having it when the AI is in the lead is good game design.

Unfortunately, most games do it the wrong way around where the AI rubber bands when you're ahead, then has no rubberbanding once they overtake you. The former means that the only part of the race that matters is the final stretch of the last lap, and the rest of the race is just there to waste the player's time. The lack of the latter means that one bad lap means you have no chance of a good placement, and, again, is a waste of the player's time.

Shoutout to the absolute bullshit that was Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep's racing minigame. Fuck Huey, Dewey, and Louis with a ten foot pole.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I find it incredibly annoying in games with real cars, especially on a real world circuit. It's the one blemish I have with the Forza Horizon series, especially when there's off road sections.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if Forza has rubberbanding during a race, but I would rather more games take its approach to dynamic difficulty: don't fuck with the results too much and let cars be way faster/slower than you naturally, and if there's a major disconnect between your ability and the AI difficulty, tell this to the player and suggest a change (with corresponding benefits if you increase). Like, I'm very much okay with having competitive or even close to impossible races, but don't misrepresent the performance of the AI racers in the middle of a race.

Oct 27, 2017
I hated the rubberband AI in NBA Jam and Hang Time. Let me beat these jabronies by 20 points; I know I'm good for that. But no, the computer has to go on a ridiculous hot streak in the 3rd quarter, hitting unconscionable 3's and stealing the ball on every possession. Now I have spend the 4th quarter trying to comeback instead of styling on these fools.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Forza Horizon 4 doesn't have rubberbanding except in showcase events. The only "rubberbanding" it has is that the cars will slightly slow down if you are like 30 seconds behind (which I feel people dont have a problem with, the problem is the impossible speeds that make your good driving feel useless).

If you feel cars are doing crazy stuff it's probably because you have yet to learn how to drive/tune your car. Manual transmission for example makes a enormous difference when taking corners.

This has been tested and proven, I'm pretty sure you can find some youtube videos on it.

Let me actually get evidence for this since i'm googling a little more and I see conflicting examples.
I haven't noticed issues more recently, but there was a point at which the rubber-banding was clearly there. What happened in my case is that a car I happened to not pass early on in the race would gradually pull further and further away, and it'd be completely impossible to make up the distance between us. What was particularly strange about it is that they'd never pull that much further ahead, as it seemed as though the game was just trying to keep a certain distance between the car in front of me and myself. If I messed up to the extent that another car passed me, and I didn't pass it very quickly, then it'd similarly pull ahead, and both of the cars in front of me would have a distance between them roughly equivalent to the distance originally between me and the single car ahead. It was really strange. Admittedly, I've since gotten better at tuning and targeting S1-rank cars with a performance index of 900, so it's possible that having S2-rank cars that were in the mid-900s was part of the problem. Still, the distance between the leading cars was really suspect, as I couldn't pass them at that point, and they wouldn't pull any further ahead as long as I was driving decently.

mrmyth

Oct 27, 2017
Forza has two things(and this is just my own theory from years of playing). First thing is that it doesn't calculate physics for AI cars, so they can hit turns and rough terrain much faster than you can. I used this to my advantage by running slicks on lifted supercars for cross country races. The AI would be so fast they would blow right past turns and miss them completely.
The other thing both horizon and Motorsport seems to do is a sort of rubber band zone. Cars will stick with you early, but if you can get far enough ahead, they'll give up and just follow the AI line around the track. Some Motorsport games would then boost one car (remember M.Rossi?) who would then slowly reel you in and overtake you if it was a long enough race. Then it was you battling that car while the pack was half a track behind.

The last thing I notice about Forza, is that the AI hates racing parts. Putting that stuff on your car is an invitation to getting your ass kicked. Racing tires especially. I can overpower the shit out of a Class C by dropping in a V8 and converting it to 4wheel drive and beat the AI easily. Put racing tires on a stock Class C and prepare to watch taillights fade off into the distance.

Mar 29, 2018
Ridge Racer 3D on the 3DS was insane. Here's how the AI worked: If you passed a car, it was GUARANTEED to pass you back. There was nothing you could do to stop it. In the early races and the lower placed cars, after a certain number of retakes, the car would back off and let you stay ahead. Once you got to the end half of the single player game, the top 3 cars would always pass you back no matter what you did. It was impossible to stay ahead. The only way to win was to not pass them, stay as close as you can, then triple nitro during the last 1/4 of the last lap and hope you can block them for a second or two while you cross the finish line.

I tried to mess with the AI a couple time and the game glitched out on me. One time when I was in the lead I tried to slam on the breaks with 2nd place drafting me to see what would happen if my slowing down caused the third place car to pass us both. What happened was I got shot 40 feet straight up in the air pointing backwards.

The second time 2nd place was trying to pass me on the outside of a turn and it was one of those turns that starts wider and narrows at the end. I tried to box them out and cause them to slam into the guard rail and slow down. Right before it would have hit the guard rail the second place car forced itself into the lane I was in which caused me to go from 200mph to 0 and it raced down the track at warp 4 and suddenly became a half lap ahead of me.

Don't mess with rubber banding AI, it doesn't like it :lol
This is some truly bonkers shit.

What was that new Burnoutesque racing game that was out recently, I remember there was a gif when it was in early access of a car rubber banding ahead of you at like 200MPH

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
It's what killed Driveclub for me. Can't stand cheating ai in racing games. Really takes you out of the immersion.
I always see complaints but I've never experienced this to be a problem. I remember Paul also stating it in these forums that they only slow cars down but the A.I can't exceed the performance limits of a car as well.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ace Attorney Trilogy's rubberband AI is definitely bullshit. That motherfucker Edgeworth keeps finding evidence and witnesses and won't let you win easily

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
I don't play racing games that often, but I cannot imagine rubberbanding worse than ModNation Racers on PS3.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 64 was awful at this. Felt terrible the actual strategy was to never actually get in 1st place until the final stretch.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Now this is what pisses me off as games that employ this method allow the AI at will to activate certain choice lines of programming that allow to break the rules of the game and outright cheat. Included but not limited to.

Greatly exceeding normal maximum speed.
Activation of key items at will (Luigi and Mario with their damn stars, making themselves invincible to weapons and obstacles)
Ability to dodge at will certain obstacles.
Unaffected by own item use, for instance player can be hit by their own weapon backfiring the AI is invulnerable to this.

Now, ERA, I want you to post your experiences with this and let us collectively vent our frustration regarding this particular flavour of fuckery. I know Motorstorm is particularly notorious for this brand of fuckery, with some races being damn near impossible to win in later stages because of it.

Since it seems we are talking about the OG Super Mario Kart, I agree that the AI on the higher cc circuits cheats like a mofo.

However, the edge I found was that the AI almost always follows a direct preprogrammed line, and used that to my advantage when dropping items. The best outcome is the AI missing a boost or jump and becoming trapped temporarily.

But even then, the cheating was real. And this was before the advent of spiny shells. That in part made it luck rather than skill many times. Luckily one of the highlights of the game was Battle Mode, and maaan was that fun to mess around with.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New CTR. I loved the original but Rubberbanding didn't exist or wasn't this bad to notice. I stopped playing after two sessions. I'm so regretful that I bought the game digital and can't sell it at all.
There is no rubberbanding in CTR. The AI just happens to be relatively skilled on normal. Though it's still easy enough that you can end up haf a lap or more ahead of second place without much struggle once you know the game mechanics.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Any racing game with over zealous rubber banding is trash by default. Such a shitty, cheap solution. People complain about games that don't respect their time ut rubber banding is a much bigger fuck you to the player from the devs.

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
There is no rubberbanding in CTR. The AI just happens to be relatively skilled on normal. Though it's still easy enough that you can end up haf a lap or more ahead of second place without much struggle once you know the game mechanics.
Are you sure? I admit I might be rusty but I specificly remember that whenever I cut corners like thirty seconds, previously head to head rival magically cuts corner about thirty five seconds. Isn't that rubberbanding?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure? I admit I might be rusty but I specificly remember that whenever I cut corners like thirty seconds, previously head to head rival magically cuts corner about thirty five seconds. Isn't that rubberbanding?
I'm positive. Here's someone playing the game on hard. Just look at how many mistakes it takes on the player's part for the AI to catch up.

Oct 28, 2017
It's annoying when you're in the lead but makes it possible to catch up. People usually don't want to shave off time 0.001 second per corner and restart after a mistake in an arcade racer.