• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Let's be honest some sequels just flat out out don't deserve to exist and now we are going to talk about franchises and sequels that in our heads at least, never happened.

I'll open with a big one for me the Alien franchise, it's one of my favourite film series ever up until the third entry anyway. The theatrical cut of the third was subject to a fuckton of executive meddling which left it a bit of a weird disjointed mess so much so that David Fincher practically disowned it. thankfully the excellent assembly cut ties it all together much better and redeems the film.

After this we get into straight hot garbage, Resurrection is a frankly a shameless fucking cash grab and I hate it intensely, which is a shame as they brought in a damn fine cast, Ron Pearlman and Winona Ryder both carry their parts well and I have always held Brad Dourif in high regard as a damn fine actor. If anything though it's Sigourney Weaver who steals the show with a far darker, more feral portrayal of Ripley than anything we have seen so far,.

Unfortunately the cast is not enough to redeem what at this point is effectively a bad parody of prior entries in the series. the other characters suffer poorly from lack of characterisation and the different Xenomorph Variants introduce I found to be more laughable than anything else in all honestly.

Moving on from Alien Resurrection, we get the return of Ridley Scot, like a lot of fans, I was hopeful the series creator would right the ship, but no.I'm largely going to ignore Prometheus here as the Alien connection is mostly absent in this film right until the very end, this is more the story of the Engineers than anything else.

Now on to the film I hate more than any other instalment in the series, Covenant, for a number of reasons which we will get into right now.

David - this is by far and my biggest issue with this film, the idea that David is the creator of the xenomorphs is one absolutely detest and refuse completely to accept. The only theory concerning his involvement I will entertain is the notion that somehow the Xenomorph species has become dormant or nearly and he resurrected them somehow. An early version of the scripts supports this idea by David showing Walter an old fossilised Alien egg and dead face hugger he found in the Engineer home world.

I get what Scott is going for here, the irony of humanity's own creation in turn creating a species that will be one of the most grave threats to all of humanity, is deeply ironic. It's also something of a fable regarding society moving away from religion in turn effectively killing God, a point which Scott makes very heavy handed with the character of the Covenant's science officer Oram who feels ostracised because of his religious beliefs, also believing that his faith has cost him career opportunities as he has believes he has been held back from promotions for this reason.

However in doing so, he has destroyed any intrigue regarding the origins of the xenomoprhas, this is a case where the horror film axiom "less is more" definitely applies, I would posit that is far better to leave their origins a mystery which we can speculated upon rather than trying to explain the origins in this rather hamfisted way.

I have seen Alien Covenant precisely once and I refuse to watch it ever again. David as the creator is pure garbage and a theory I do not give even the slightest hint of credence to. In my headcanon this film and the events in it are not canon. I am not even going to touch on the two Alien Vs Predatir films as I hate both of them intensely.

Another big one for me regarding this is the Terminator series, I hate T3 and Genysis, both take a steaming shit on the legacy of the previous films and feel like badly written fan fics. The inflating boobs of the TX and the absolutely fuckery that is Genysis's plot mean I refuse watch of acknowledge either. Salvation is better but still lacking, I actually enjoyed Dark Fate and I thought the idea of a separate machine uprising emerging from Skynet's downfall made for a very interesting story. I actually went to see this in a cinema and came away impresse, but I prefer to treat as a an alternate reality rather than mainline canon. But unlike T3 or Genysus I do like and accept Dark Fate.

Over to you now, ERA, please provide detailed explanations of your reasoning, but also do not feel obliged to write as in depth as I did. But please no drive by posts.

Last edited:

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Star Wars prequels.

JJ sequels are inoffensive, could've been better but they didn't kill Star Wars for me like TPM did. Followed by the other two movies dancing on Star Wars' grave for me as a youth.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
You've activated a pet peeve of mine. It's super annoying to me when someone will be instant that there are only 2 Terminator movies, or only 1 Matrix movie or something like that. No, there are more you just don't like them and that's OK, to acknowledge them doesn't kill the franchise, it doesn't ruin your child hood, it doesn't retroactively make your opinion of the first bad or anything like that. But no they have the mentality of a toddler "Na-uhhh that doesn't exist" "Are you talking about an imaginary movie, that sounds like it'd be awful I'm glad it doesn't exist" and on and on, they never let up they never relent.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
You've activated a pet peeve of mine. It's super annoying to me when someone will be instant that there are only 2 Terminator movies, or only 1 Matrix movie or something like that. No, there are more you just don't like them and that's OK, to acknowledge them doesn't kill the franchise, it doesn't ruin your child hood, it doesn't retroactively make your opinion of the first bad or anything like that. But no they have the mentality of a toddler "Na-uhhh that doesn't exist" "Are you talking about an imaginary movie, that sounds like it'd be awful I'm glad it doesn't exist" and on and on, they never let up they never relent.

If other people enjoy it, more power to them. I just choose to not include those specific films in my accepted version of the canon.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

Why does it matter? Just watch what you want to watch.

I don't give a shit about canon I just care about enjoying a film, films like Rise of Skywalker or Alien: Covenant are so bad that I personally would never want to watch them again or see anything that builds on those terrible stories.

Anything past Aliens

Alien 3 isn't that bad, when you consider the circumstances of the production then the Assembly Cut is pretty good and a poignant ending for Ripley's character. You just have to accept the massive plot hole at the beginning.

Last edited:

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA

I fundamentally disagree. Whether it's background lore or a terrible climax, bad media ABSOLUTELY impacts how you see the prior/subsequent entries. They can undermine character arcs that were in progress or completed, they can render sacrifices and difficulties trivial and pointless, or just bury simple but effective premises under piles of unnecessary fluff.

Your two examples wouldn't fall into that category very much though, since the Terminator problem is the quality of the films, and doesn't really undermine the originals too much, while anyone upset with the Matrix sequels was probably not picking up on the boatload of foreshadowing/Biblical allusions the first one had.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Why does it matter? Just watch what you want to watch.

I don't give a shit about canon I just care about enjoying a film, films like Rise of Skywalker or Alien: Covenant are so bad that I personally would never want to watch them again or see anything that builds on those terrible stories.
I agree! They are bad movies. It matters because I am trying to have a conversation about movies and 3 out of 4 people are having a reasonable discussion and the 4th just keeps interrupting about how "X doesn't exist" or "Nope that's not a movie that was made" or some such nonsense.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
The Rise of Skywalker

TLJ was actually the perfect end to the saga.

maxresdefault.jpg

---------

Terminator after 3 is unnecessary

---------

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
If they exist, i don't acknowledge them, therefore i can't talk about them.

Sorry OP.

drowsy

Oct 27, 2017
This is why Rocky is my favorite franchise. You have the four classics, a fantastic "twenty years later" story in Balboa, and then the Creed movies that are doing their own thing while sharing that DNA. Perfection from start to finish.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
There's only RoboCop.
There's only Starship Troopers.
There are no sequels.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how Highlander went straight from part 1 to 3. I think it's actually commentary on the life of an immortal and how long they live that some memories will disappear forever.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Anyway, while i can't talk about movies that don't exist, i can talk about Alien Resurrection.

I agree it doesn't really fit in the franchise general athmosphere. But if you look at it as "just" a Jean-Pierre Jeunet movie, then it's much more enjoyable as it clearly coming directly from Delicatessen and The City of Lost Children (and the cast doesn't remove any doubts either). It's more like a Jeunet movie with a vague Alien context than a "proper" alien movie. But i still think it's a good movie regardless.

I'm pretty sure it's still league above anything Ridley Scott could do if he ever decided to touch the franchise ever again after so much time. Luckily, he didn't.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Anyway, while i can't talk about movies that don't exist, i can talk about Alien Resurrection.

I agree it doesn't really fit in the franchise general athmosphere. But if you look at it as "just" a Jean-Pierre Jeunet movie, then it's much more enjoyable as it clearly coming directly from Delicatessen and The City of Lost Children (and the cast doesn't remove any doubts either). It's more like a Jeunet movie with a vague Alien context than a "proper" alien movie. But i still think it's a good movie regardless.

I'm pretty sure it's still league above anything Ridley Scott could do if he ever decided to touch the franchise ever again after so much time. Luckily, he didn't.

These cop out answers are not what this thread is about, tell us why you don't the other films.

BTW this goes for everyone, I'm just quoting this reply as an example because it's the most recent one.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
These cop out answers are not what this thread is about, tell us why you don't the other films.

BTW this goes for everyone, I'm just quoting this reply as an example because it's the most recent one.

No fun allowed !

But joking aside, Prometheus and Covenant are "non existant" to me because they are overly complicated and uneeded prequels that diminish the proper Xenomorph, full of stupid characters that shouldn't be (emphasis on the scientists in Prometheus, all dumb as rocks, no exceptions). If Ridley wanted to do his little dumb stories about robot evil jesus creating creatures for no real reason and killing people and aliens left and right. Fine. But why did he felt the need to tie it with Alien ? It felt almost insulting (and the movies sucked anyway).

It's a bit different for Indy and the Crystal Skull. I was not fond of the idea of going sci-fy in a franchise that was all fantasy and mysticism but it could have been ok. But it went full cartoonishly stupid in the action sequences and they where baaaaaad. Sure the old movies had dumb action sequences that felt cartoonish as well, but at least it felt often "realistic". They weren't really defying the laws of gravity. The nuke was already too much but that car chase in the jungle with Shia going Tarzan... Damn... Awfull awfull awfull.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
No fun allowed !

But joking aside, Prometheus and Covenant are "non existant" to me because they are overly complicated and uneeded prequels that diminish the proper Xenomorph, full of stupid characters that shouldn't be (emphasis on the scientists in Prometheus, all dumb as rocks, no exceptions). If Ridley wanted to do his little dumb stories about robot evil jesus creating creatures for no real reason and killing people and aliens left and right. Fine. But why did he felt the need to tie it with Alien ? It felt almost insulting (and the movies sucked anyway).

It's a bit different for Indy and the Crystal Skull. I was not fond of the idea of going sci-fy in a franchise that was all fantasy and mysticism but it could have been ok. But it went full cartoonishly stupid in the action sequences and they where baaaaaad. Sure the old movies had dumb action sequences that felt cartoonish as well, but at least it felt often "realistic". They weren't really defying the laws of gravity. The nuke was already too much but that car chase in the jungle with Shia going Tarzan... Damn... Awfull awfull awfull.

Fun very much allowed. =P

I just want to know what it was that made people disregard certain entries. I think we have the same problems with Convenant and Prometheus.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is why Rocky is my favorite franchise. You have the four classics, a fantastic "twenty years later" story in Balboa, and then the Creed movies that are doing their own thing while sharing that DNA. Perfection from start to finish.
First, yes I see what you did there. But while I acknowledge they exist and I enjoy them all to different extents, Rocky 2-4, especially 4, kind of lose the thread of why Rocky is an all time classic. It felt like, because the original movie was so popular, they knew they could only continue the series by turning Rocky into this kind of larger than life heroic figure, which meant he would always win in some form by the end, culminating when he literally ends communism with his firsts in Rocky 4.

But that was never the point of the first movie. Rocky absolutely never should have had a chance at beating Apollo. His goal was never to win the fight, and he rightfully never expected to. It was that he was struggling with his self worth, realizing that all he ever had was his fighting ability and fitness, which even then was beginning to degrade with age and overuse, and that every part of society was beating him down and reinforcing his sense of personal worthlessness. To me, this is one of the best scenes in movies, period:

It's just so human. The fact that Rocky is able to prove that he could go the distance with Apollo, even that once, was an absolute triumph for him personally, and all the validation he could ever hope to receive at that point. It really annoys me when people are upset that Rocky "loses", because it feels like it misses the whole point of the movie. This is the reason why, even though I do enjoy the sequels, it's hard for me to reconcile them as continuing on from the original movie's storyline, and more like a "what if" scenario.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

This. It's my second favorite Alien movie. The first 4 movies are different genres which is pretty neat. Alien is the horror movie, Aliens is the action one, Alien 3 is some sort of dystopia I think (not really sure how I'd classify it, one watched each version once) , Resurrection is the weird one.

I've don't think I've ever seen anyone else defending it.

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I know the exist but never watch them and enjoy the endings given by the prior movies.

Anything after Halloween aside from 2018 remake.

Anything after T2, Aliens, Dark Knight, could add more but you get the gist.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

Yep, utter perfection. Reminds me of Scrubs, 8 perfect seasons with a great finale and we never heard from those characters again.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The Lord of the Rings trilogy is superb. I wonder if The Hobbit will ever be given a live action adaptation.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I just consider bad sequels (or prequels) to be on the same level as extended universe literature.

I'm not gonna go out of my way to dismiss what's written in those dozens upon dozens of Halo or Star Wars books or claim that certain movies "never existed".
I just say they're bad and don't really watch them again.

Like Indiana Jones 4, or the Matrix sequels. Or whatever came after T2 and Aliens. Or Jurassic Park (1, though i do have a soft spot for Lost World)

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Any of the Jurassic movies after the first one. I'll still watch all of them and enjoy them to a degree, but the first one is so good that none of the others can hope to compare.

Radogol

Nov 9, 2017
The Rise of Skywalker

TLJ was actually the perfect end to the saga.

maxresdefault.jpg

I agree. I could see an Episode IX that would serve more as an epilogue but in the absence of that, TLJ's perfect ending is the only thing that makes living in the world where TRoS exists at least somewhat bearable.

(of course it's a hyperbole, but TRoS makes me actively sad)

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars prequels.

JJ sequels are inoffensive, could've been better but they didn't kill Star Wars for me like TPM did. Followed by the other two movies dancing on Star Wars' grave for me as a youth.

Rise of the Skywalker is the worst Star Wars movie. It brings nothing new to the series, ruins everything before it, and makes the entire sequel trilogy just INCREDIBLY meh

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Indiana Jones, I don't acknowledge anything after the Last Crusade. Maybe the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones or w/e, but anything else, nah. If my kids want to watch the ones after Crusade, go for it, enjoy them. They'll exist in a different headspace for me.

I generally consider Terminator and Terminator II to be like .... "true cannon," in that series. And anything else after I'm just ignoring, although I actually kinda like some of the shitty Terminator movies. I feel like this series constantly rewrites itself, it's just kinda the nature of it.

Godfather 3, I just ignore. I'm willing to accept it as canon, but who the hell cares, the first two are so amazing I just don't need to consider Godfather 3 to enjoy the first two completely.

Any of the Jurassic movies after the first one. I'll still watch all of them and enjoy them to a degree, but the first one is so good that none of the others can hope to compare.

yeah, same. Jurassic Park is a good movie start to finish and I dont need anything else to add or remove from it.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana Jones after The Last Crusade.

Die Hard after the third opus.

Anything after Terminator 2.

There is only the first Matrix.

Alien 3 is the last of the franchise.

Oct 27, 2017
Alien fans that are quick to throw out the prequels but seemingly have little or no issue with Ressurection totally baffle me. If anything, Resurrection's spotty CGI, weird character twists, off-tone Whedon dialoge, and wooden performances make the newer films look great.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Rise of Skywalker for sure.

The Last Jedi was such a good movie, shame it never got a sequel...

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, even though Forever isnt terrible. Burtons Batman 3, oh what could have been.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The Jaws sequels. I've never seen them and have no interest; mostly I just don't know how they wrung another three movies out of "giant shark attack." It's not that those movies are bad or ruin anything (they probably are bad, but I'll never know myself!), my view on them is more like, there is absolutely no reason for these movies to exist much less acknowledge them.

Otherwise I might say The Godfather Part III. I think I dislike this movie more than any other bad franchise sequel/prequel, in large part because of the whiplash of coming down from Godfather I and II, which are perfect films, truly two of the best movies of all time. And III is just a bad, redundant sequel. For years I'd avoided it because of the reputation, and it was only a couple years ago I finally gave it a shot since it was on Netflix. I was hoping maybe a lot of the sour feelings about it were more rooted in "not as good as the first two" than "it's a bad movie." But nope, it's just bad. It has a few nice moments but overall the magic of the first two movies was just gone. The look and feel of it was completely different, Pacino was too far into his post-Scarface career phase, and Coppola either just didn't have his heart in it or was completely sapped by Apocalypse Now of his old strengths.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It's crazy how Highlander went straight from part 1 to 3. I think it's actually commentary on the life of an immortal and how long they live that some memories will disappear forever.

It's the only movie where they actively just disavowed it's existence to move on with the franchise. And for good reason, I have no idea how they greenlit that. I know what the Highlander franchise needs, a sci fi explanation for who they are!

A recent example that probably doesn't fit completely, but man did Rise of Skywalker basically invalidate almost everything that happened in the previous movie. Obviously it's still considered "canon" but almost everything that Last Jedi was about: Rey's "normal" origins, the idea that you don't need heritage to be special, Kylo taking control of the First Order, Kylo getting rid of his Vader worship, Luke being a reluctant teacher and tossing away the lightsaber, the Resistance being completely wiped out except for a ship full of people, the Force awakening in people like broom boy, Rose and Finn...