• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes (Liked)

Votes: 2,719 62.1%
  • No (Didn’t like)

Votes: 1,662 37.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't put a lot of thought into these types of movies.

It was good fun. I liked it. I've rewatched it and plan on doing so again.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I voted "no". I strongly disliked TLJ after leaving the theater, but I've tried rewatching it since and I honestly dislike it more with each subsequent viewing.

It's just not a film I find enjoyable to watch. Beautiful cinematography, great music, but I just felt the script was awful. To me it felt like it was written by someone who hates Star Wars and wants it to be something else. Bleh, I even prefer The Phantom Menace over it, and I do not like TPM.

A resounding NO from me.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I still find it hilarious that the poll results have "yes" in an overwhelming lead yet the replies would have you think that the No's would be crushing it.

It's literally the TLJ discourse in a nutshell.

63 audience score on MC would be horrible
63 critic score on MC would be middling
63 RT score would be bad
63 RT verified audience score would be bad
But 63 on Era is overwhelmingly positive..

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of hyperbole.. I dunno.

Question. Did you see it only one time in the cinema and haven't gone back for a rewatch since?

If so I would implore you to watch it again. Maybe even a couple of times. The bad bits can be glossed over (poor comedy in the intro and space Leia plus Canto Bight), but the good bits are fantastic. I really truly love the climax of the film and Luke doing his thing. It's epic and to me seems entirely appropriate.

I would hate to have to watch it again. Rogue One is the only movie (post original trilogy) that I really like. I find TFA to be watchable.

Last edited:

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
In my book it's debatably the best Star Wars film. ESB is more cohesive and consistent, but TLJ takes wilder swings and has harder hits when it connects.

A grander film in scope than any Star Wars film before it.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
I said no, but I needed a middle option. Movie for me was okay. I don't hate it, but I don't really like it either. I also don't really have much enthusiasm for the next entry.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Haven't seen it since theaters, but yes, I liked it. I've got my criticisms for some of the b-plots, but they don't overtake my overall positive feelings.

That said, I'm not a huge Star Wars head. I like it as much as the next jackanape and not much more.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Loved it. Sequel trilogy is amazing as of now, with the right spirit, good characters, adventure and impeccable cinematography.
I also think Kylo Ren is the most compelling villain of the last decade in blockbusters, since he has an interesting arc. Adam Driver's performance is stellar and elevates this anti-Luke journey (him killing Snoke was obvious, since it's the opposite of what Luke did when he had the chance with Palpatine) to a point that makes him believable. I do fear crazy young guys that are fascinated by evil and nihilism.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Confirmed a fantastic movie. One and done. Now the discourse can be had without all the bullshit!

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed it, and it improved on a second viewing. My takeaway initially was that it was a love letter to Luke and Mark Hamill, who absolutely killed it with his performance.

I saw it without any foreknowledge opening weekend and was quite surprised by the relentlessly vocal minority that followed.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Because people were hating on it I feared I'd also became all hateful and angry, but it turned out to be one of my favorite Star Wars. Fun stuff.
Yeah I saw it blind like 3 days after release and I was nervous because some people were saying it was an insult to their childhood etc. Etc. and then I watched it and had a blast and legitimately didn't know why people were upset untiI I started asking around online.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
Yes, I liked it. I think there was some fat that could have been trimmed, but overall I thought it was a fine movie.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You basically just walked right in the middle of a gunfight, tossed your hands up and said "alright, we're done here!"

You didn't settle a thing.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely loved it. Certain parts (throne room, Kylo v. Luke) were more individually thrilling than any Star Wars film, even the whole maybe doesn't measure up to ESB.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif
Funny. I voted I liked it. Star Wars shooty bang bang, big bada boom.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I really don't care if you liked or disliked TLJ, because you are entitled to whatever your opinion is, but I love that some of the more, err, "vocal" critics round these parts are forced to acknowledge a poll where it turns out everyone online didn't hate it. Imagine that.

"But me and everyone I know hated it, that must be indicative of the general public"

But that's also true the other way around where the stans have to acknowledge that the hatedom is much larger than they think.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Lol....another thread 😛

Already expressed my view , multiple time , and as much as absolute polls really don't capture the middling opinions it does answer in terms of the Era view where opinion sits...

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rian took some interesting risks. Probably shouldn't have done so sandwiched between two nostalgia-bait JJ classics. Luke's motivation to almost attack Kylo was poorly done. A lot of the dialogue isn't great (yo mamma) and Canto Blight is a snoozefest. Honestly I don't think Rey is much of a character. She doesn't really seem to have any struggles or motivations that are interesting to me. Choreography sucks in the throne room scene but visually its stunning. Kylo is a good character. Overall pretty bad but I liked looper and knives out looks great so I'm still half-excited for the Rian trilogy that may or may not exist.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I still find it hilarious that the poll results have "yes" in an overwhelming lead yet the replies would have you think that the No's would be crushing it.

It's literally the TLJ discourse in a nutshell.

I mean it's the same with the ROTS poll that I made.

36% is a lot of people. If somebody made a RotS poll, results wouldn't be different

I did make it. It's the same exact results as this:

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018
There a poll for didn't watch it? Heck I haven't watched any of the Star Wars movies.

But I heard it wasn't that bad. Just weak.

Jan 3, 2018
Really, setting those Space-horses free made it all worth it? Those guys have SPACE SHIPS. They'll have all the escaped Space-horses rounded up by tomorrow morning!!

Rose knows the fathiers will get rounded up and that trashing the town will make life hell for the slaves who'll have to clean it up. She doesn't care because she's clearly a First Order agent.

Think about it. Why is her and Finn's shuttle allowed to slip by the First Order's offenses? How does she know about the seedy underbelly of Canto Bight? Why does she let secure Rebel intel get overheard by DJ? Why does she stop Finn from piloting his ship into the death cannon? Why isn't she fired upon by the AT-ATs as Finn drags her back to the base? She is a protected informant.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rose knows the fathiers will get rounded up and that trashing the town will make life hell for the slaves who'll have to clean it up. She doesn't care because she's clearly a First Order agent.

Think about it. Why is her and Finn's shuttle allowed to slip by the First Order's offenses? How does she know about the seedy underbelly of Canto Bight? Why does she let secure Rebel intel get overheard by DJ? Why does she stop Finn from piloting his ship into the death cannon? Why isn't she fired upon by the AT-ATs as Finn drags her back to the base? She is a protected informant.

holy fuck

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was in the "it was... fine" camp when it first came out, but I think it was just a coping mechanism. Upon rewatch I didn't find it very enjoyable. The second act was completely pointless, and I can't get over how stupid Poe and Holdo's little game was. I was also disappointed to see Snoke go out like a chump. I wanted another Emperor-level big bad. Turns out the Emperor is still around.

Better than the prequels, worse than the OT and TFA.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I always think of this quote when these discussions come up:

"Levin had often noticed in discussions between the most intelligent people that after enormous efforts, and an enormous expenditure of logical subtleties and words, the disputants finally arrived at being aware that what they had so long been struggling to prove to one another had long ago, from the beginning of the argument, been known to both, but that they liked different things, and would not define what they liked for fear of its being attacked."
-Anna Karenina

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was in the "it was... fine" camp when it first came out, but I think it was just a coping mechanism. Upon rewatch I didn't find it very enjoyable. The second act was completely pointless, and I can't get over how stupid Poe and Holdo's little game was. I was also disappointed to see Snoke go out like a chump. I wanted another Emperor-level big bad. Turns out the Emperor is still around.

Better than the prequels, worse than the OT and TFA.

Emperor was pretty obviously "in case of emergency break glass". Its a shame

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely isn't the best SW movie and it has some big problems like the useless Kanto Bright part, Rose, and nothing really to look forward to about the upcoming movie, but other than that it was pretty good. Way better than the prequel trash.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. What they did to Luke was stupid. Luke's role in the old non-canon EU was much better. They didn't want to commit to Luke having a thriving Jedi Order. I find that the Jedi being wiped out because of a rogue Jedi having gone Sith such a tiring trope by now.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
And the final season of GoT was successful because it made money 🤷‍♂️
But the critical reaction and fan reaction was overwhelmingly negative and they dont even have the DVDs on sale yet. It's a lot less commitment to stream a show than it is to buy a ~$30 blu-ray for a movie that you've presumably already seen and liked.

TLJ critical reaction was great, fan reception was divided and it did well in post-release sales.