• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Every part of Death and Return of Superman has great art. Probably my favorite DC thing in the entire 90's.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Now we're talking

034.DCC_.JokerFC.1.0.gif

Oct 30, 2017
51aIfCl8rBL.jpg

I feel like the 30th Anniversary books were really a big part of setting the gimmick cover thing in motion.
These were '92 I think? I may still have them somewhere, a bit dogeared from having been read multiple times.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of 30th/25th anniversaries in the 90's.

Theres also a shit ton of number ones with ridiculous covers from C tier members of B tier teams because bubble.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Just watching the price creep up has me sweating looking at these covers and the dates.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
I remember the holograms being silver or gold depending on whether it was newsstand or direct market version. I had both versions of the Web of issue.
Huh, interesting! I was just a kid spending my pocket money at the local newsagency/newsstand, so I didn't know about such things at the time! I wonder how I ended up with one gold and 3 silver, when they were all bought from the same place.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Not quite sure if this fits the intention of the thread, but I remember when TRON Legacy came out and Marvel has TRON themed alts for a bunch of series:

ggmmHhwghJO6N4IK3ZmNs.jpg

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
i was born in the x men alpha shiny plastic cover

molded by it

Those are still my favorite. There's just something so high-tech and clean about them that it literally did it's job in my brain for being the best of the best. I fell for the gimmick.

had this back then when emboss, hologram were the rage

c9f6fd7990e689a6bec2615a154254e7.jpg

My best friend had this cover and yes, I used to be jealous of this. The story was actually pretty fucking cool looking too. The art, the dark twist. I should try and find this someday.

I still have this comic. Terrible interior art sadly.

Then there was the blood in red foil stuff.

s-l1600.jpg

Oh my God I completely forgot about this. Holy shit! When this covert came out I just started the process of ordering comes from catalogs, versus waiting for them to show up in the grocery store of my small town. And this was in the first catalog and I had to have it.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Obligatory Super-Dickery covers from the Silver Age.

1296_4_081_4356.jpg
97_4_0000311.jpg
8NWZHQk.jpg
Thank you. I was unironically hoping that the entire thread would be these. I know some people got mad about Superdickery "misrepresenting" Superman, since the content of the books were often wildly different than what the cover suggested, but that was the fun of it, you know? The original "gimmick" putting something wild on the cover just to get you to buy it.

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Thank you. I was unironically hoping that the entire thread would be these. I know some people got mad about Superdickery "misrepresenting" Superman, since the content of the books were often wildly different than what the cover suggested, but that was the fun of it, you know? The original "gimmick" putting something wild on the cover just to get you to buy it.

I'm going to be completely honest. The point was to talk about any kind of gimmick cover. That includes things like coupons or weird books to try and get me to read the book.

This was a very sloppy thread and you can tell by my first couple posts, I literally posted it right before going to bed because I wanted to make it but I didn't want to forget but I wanted to make it. Lol

So everyone can feel free to go nuts.

Lois-Lane-106.jpg

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Wolverine #50 die-cut cover

91Y3LyGVJzL._AC_SY679_.jpg

x-men-fatal-attractions-covers-and-holograms003.jpg

61tNuy8peLL.jpg

I started reading comics just a few months before these works of art.

I mean, I could and that's the point. There were a ton of them, so we likely never saw them all. I know people who are not aware of the laser cut bullet hole cover and I've never seen the thermal cover posted above.

ghostrider15-cover-106255.jpg

eclipso%2B%25231.jpg

I always had to keep this book in the front of the longbox so the gem wouldn't imprint on other books lol

51aIfCl8rBL.jpg

I feel like the 30th Anniversary books were really a big part of setting the gimmick cover thing in motion.
These were '92 I think? I may still have them somewhere, a bit dogeared from having been read multiple times.

had this back then when emboss, hologram were the rage

c9f6fd7990e689a6bec2615a154254e7.jpg

iu

I think the armor only lasted a couple pages before it was destroyed. lol
It's funny. I still own my original copies of all of these from when they were first released.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
i could swear fathom (rip turner) did alternate interiors once

clean.jpg

Spoiler Wolverine jumped on Galactus's back and clawed him. Big G shrugged and almost sent Wolverine into orbit.

my man broke his bone claws on his heel didn't he? it's like they said "what could top jobbing lobo with this bone claws" and came up with this
the twist that the collector was hiding these endangered species from galactus & wolvy actually doomed them (if i remember it right) was harsh

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I'm going to be completely honest. The point was to talk about any kind of gimmick cover. That includes things like coupons or weird books to try and get me to read the book.

This was a very sloppy thread and you can tell by my first couple posts, I literally posted it right before going to bed because I wanted to make it but I didn't want to forget but I wanted to make it. Lol

So everyone can feel free to go nuts.

If it makes you feel better, my post was probably poorly worded as well, so you're not alone in that! Haha!
There are so many silly gimmicks from the 90's in particular (lots of good examples here) that I think a thread focused on them is just as good of an idea! I just personally really love the silliness of the silver age and browsing those covers is always a treat.
So I think we're ultimately on the same page and regardless silly gimmick covers are always funny no matter when they're published!

Anyway, maybe I should actually contribute to the thread if I want more of them, so here's another one!

VqO8EVKWgtojD-NDy-a8Nz9ZzWoD6vae8z5xwAZrhAc.jpg

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
51aIfCl8rBL.jpg

These were the first comics I thought of when entering the thread. There was a black, green, blue, and red. My brother and I combined forced to get all 4.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
The FF red embossed cover was first to come to mind:

Second one I though of was the the Man of Steel where you made your own cover using stickers that were furnished:
67570a5c51dd579de725e7f52bf7d6bb0d0bd100.jpeg

20252f9cd94dd15c61deec42467fd0cc3c860b6f.jpeg

I think there was also a Superman/Milestone crossover book that included stickers so you could make your own cover.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, the gimmicks that happened when I got into comics.
0f7e074f-1fea-471f-bu9jru.jpeg

I helped my uncle with the ordering because the printer at his house was shit and man alive, there were about a dozen #1's every single month.

And the absolute mad men at DC decided to go with #0 (and the best comic cover of all time).

81372ca9-1a1e-4e34-byajib.jpeg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
These obnoxious sideways covers/panels. It happened often mostly in Liefeld books. This whole comic was sideways, ugh.

b1629306033511spider-man16.png

Liefeld always loved sideways comics for some reason. He drew an issue of Hawk and Dove sideways and turned it in without consulting the editor because he reasoned that the book took place in the Chaos dimension so he could do what he wanted, and Karl Kesel had to rearrange and redraw parts of the book.

As for covers, I was always partial to the Valiant Chromium covers, I thought the Joe Quesada Ninjak one was pretty cool. The lamest were the ones bagged with trading cards (so you couldn't open them) or the ones with just a smaller area being a lenticular image... I thought the Chromium going from edge to edge with color was pretty cool at the time.

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
The FF red embossed cover was first to come to mind:

Second one I though of was the the Man of Steel where you made your own cover using stickers that were furnished:
67570a5c51dd579de725e7f52bf7d6bb0d0bd100.jpeg

20252f9cd94dd15c61deec42467fd0cc3c860b6f.jpeg

I think there was also a Superman/Milestone crossover book that included stickers so you could make your own cover.

Holy shit, how did I ever miss that build a cover with Lobo? That was in my prime collecting fervor!

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Liefeld always loved sideways comics for some reason. He drew an issue of Hawk and Dove sideways and turned it in without consulting the editor because he reasoned that the book took place in the Chaos dimension so he could do what he wanted, and Karl Kesel had to rearrange and redraw parts of the book.

As for covers, I was always partial to the Valiant Chromium covers, I thought the Joe Quesada Ninjak one was pretty cool. The lamest were the ones bagged with trading cards (so you couldn't open them) or the ones with just a smaller area being a lenticular image... I thought the Chromium going from edge to edge with color was pretty cool at the time.

I always assumed he considered them "widescreen" comics. Much like the Authority did in the "widescreen" panels.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
4515258.jpg
I remember my dad had a couple of these Marvels issues with Alex Ross art. The covers were clear plastic with the reversed title text, and the inside page was the fill image.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
This thread brings back a lot of great memories. Makes me want to go to a store and buy a comic. I've been buying digital comics for a while now.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel also did a bunch of special cover gimmick months. I remember the month where all the covers were just faces and another month where there was a notification on each cover that said "Beware It's Assistant Editor month" or something to that effect.