• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Let's have a talk, shall we Era?

So, with many big games released this year, a growing and disturbing trend has been rearing it's ugly head. And that is games being leaked weeks before it's initial launch date. From retailers, to distribution channels, and a whole bunch of other stuff, leaking games has been very prevalent. Within this internet age, spoilers, and leaks get so much more attention. Furthermore, these games leaking also leads to piracy as well. So let's talk about a real solution developers should use shall we?

Now, with Kingdom Hearts 3, they simply didn't have the epilogue ship on disks. Now, that really isn't a deterrent for anything. People still get to play the game, and spoil it for developers, and anxious fans. So that really isn't much of a deterrent.

Many people also talk about needing a day 1 patch in order to play the game. However, this solution really doesn't work either. People without internet connections would be screwed, and it messes with the availability of the game.

However, I think I may have come up with a solution, by looking back at PC Antipiracy measures. So, imagine this:
The copies of the games ships out, just like usual, and some retailer breaks steet date. Upon putting in the disk, you are met with an unlock code, which is universal to every copy of the game.

This code, is posted online at midnight, by square Enix themselves. Say it's SoraKeyblade3335. And the code is also shipped out to retailers at a similar time. Consumers would be able to find it by looking online, or by retailers, or really just by plain old word of mouth.

Now for users who are connected to the internet, they do not even have to type in a code. The game just checks online and sees if it's ready. It's convenient, and easy.

This system has numerous advantages as well. This would allow retailers to sell disk portions of the game at any time before launch. This will give more gauges for preorders, allow more stock to come through. It also allows physical games, to be unlocked and played at the same time as digital games. People can just get their game the day before, and be just as ready to play a game as digital players. They can even take care of installing the games as well before launch. This also means that consumers wouldn't need to go to a store at launch, and can go whenever they please before launch.

So I think a system like this, would not only be better for publishers, but it is also better for physical consumers. It also doesnt make games unplayable for people without internet connections. And yes, there is a possibility that codes could get leaked, or a good could happen. However, the likelihood is much smaller, because the publisher is in control of the code.

I think this may be a solution to this whole early "leaks" thing, and even be a huge benefit to consumers as well. It's a win win in my book, and I am curious to what you think about it Era.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
While conceptually I like the idea it sounds like a mess to sort through the supply chain and informing both retailers and consumers about it. Not to mention how feasible it is on the programming side of stuff.

Edit: the below, pretty much, lol.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
My proposal is to not ship copies to retailers this early.

Otherwise, online check when installing the game or launching for the first time is probably the only real solution to this.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, eventually physical games won't exist anymore and this problem won't happen, but this has been a thing for decades. I remember being the cool kid at the table back in 2007 because I watched all the leaked cutscenes from Halo 3 a week before the game came out and knew the whole plot.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This sounds very similar to the online pass stuff EA tried years ago which was terrible

That still doesn't clear the problems of piracy does it? Or are you for people pirating games, or illegally buying games, and it hurting developers?

Are you an Olympian because that's an incredible leap you just made

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
No one has ever thought of always online DRM before, surely no one will have any problems with this

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That still doesn't clear the problems of piracy does it? Or are you for people pirating games, or illegally buying games, and it hurting developers?
wait what

Yeah, it used to be a problem few years ago but right now it's spoilers and the general feeling of frustration that someone got the game early that pisses people off.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe try taking action against the ones breaking street date instead of inconveniencing the entire gaming community just because Snape killed Dumbledore.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What you propose wouldn't stop piracy, and it'd just be an inconvenience for a negligible gain from the perspective of a consumer. And good lord at the second part of your post. "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

OP
OP
Lozjam

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
This sounds very similar to the online pass stuff EA tried years ago which was terrible

Are you an Olympian because that's an incredible leap you just made
I'm saying that this is a solution for early piracy, which has happened. And it's quite a better solution than keeping a secret ending off of disk.

And unlike what EA is doing. This solution ensures that you will forever be able to play your games offline. That code will be forever kept, and it would not prohibit people from playing the game 20 years from now. It takes patches, day 1 unlocks, ect. and provides a real solution that works with everybody. And like I said, it actually provides a greater benefit to consumers, since physical buyers will be able to play right at midnight.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm saying that this is a solution for early piracy, which has happened. And it's quite a better solution than keeping a secret ending off of disk.

And unlike what EA is doing. This solution ensures that you will forever be able to play your games offline. That code will be forever kept, and it would not prohibit people from playing the game 20 years from now. It takes patches, day 1 unlocks, ect. and provides a real solution that works with everybody. And like I said, it actually provides a greater benefit to consumers, since physical buyers will be able to play right at midnight.

This idea doesn't work

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

On what, the 3DS? Are pirated games a problem for the Switch, PS4, and Xbox One? I'm obviously not counting PC because we have moved to Steam codes in a box for that.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
There's no perfect solution to it; games are going to get leaked as early copies circulate. Just stay out of the darker corners of the internet if you're worried about spoilers. That's about it.

?!!?

OP
OP
Lozjam

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
What does a game being leaked early has anything to do with piracy? People who pirate will pirate the game regardless it's leaked or not.
Many people here on Era pirated Smash Bros. Ultimate because it allowed them to play games early. That helped spread the news, spoiler waves, and it even had Youtubers pirating the game in order to act like they got review copies. This was bad for games media, for publishers, and for people who wanted to avoid spoilers. I guarantee the same thing will keep on happening unless something is done. And I would rather have a solution like the above, instead of requiring every person to be online.
No one has ever thought of always online DRM before, surely no one will have any problems with this
Except this is the opposite of online DRM?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I mean the real solution is to not ship the game to DCs so early, but they may have not had a choice for unknown reasons. I'd say a good deterrent could be consequences for the accounts of those who are caught playing early, but that's a slippery slope to punishing people who may not realize they have a fenced copy.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017

I don't really care about piracy tbh. I can't control what other people do. All I can do is buying games and continue to support devs with my money.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean the real solution is to not ship the game to DCs so early, but they may have not had a choice for unknown reasons.

The reason is logistics. You ship several weeks early, to account for logistical delays, because if one store's shipments are late, that retailer will be absolutely furious when they lose customers to competition because of the supplier's fuck up. You don't ship things so that, if nothing goes wrong, they arrive on launch date, you ship things early so that, if anything goes wrong, the worst case scenario is to arrive by launch date, and others can just sit on the stock until then.

Coconico

Oct 25, 2017
Miami

The biggest games in the industry right now are always connected, social experiences. People use their consoles to stream from various apps over the internet. People willingly have always-on microphones recording every private thing they've ever said in their homes just do they don't have to get up to turn off the lights.

Microsoft's only problem with the XBOX One reveal, honestly--is that they were too far ahead of their time. Almost every major feature of what they announced the One with that people took issue has become a social standard.

OP
OP
Lozjam

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Lol

None of us ever said that. We're talking about the overeaction people are having with the spoilers(in this case, KH).

You need to relax and stop accusing people.
I mean, I don't even care about Kingdom Hearts. I actually despise Kingdom Hearts with all of my heart, but even I can recognize the damage that can be done.
sounds like you've never actually cracked anything before. What you propose is an ancient form of copy protection that isn't used anymore because it's completely ineffective.
I'm not saying this will prevent piracy period. I am merely saying this will prevent piracy because a game leaks early, and it will help games media. This will just simply stop people from playing the game before release date, and nothing else. Which, has numerous benefits to consumers, gaming press, and publishers.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Sadly, lots of people can't resist themselves by overlooked spoilers. It requires heavy mentality to avoid it.

"Final boss fight Video"
Me
CreamyBleakDaddylonglegs-small.gif

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest games in the industry right now are always connected, social experiences. People use their consoles to stream from various apps over the internet. People willingly have always-on microphones recording every private thing they've ever said in their homes just do they don't have to get up to turn off the lights.

Microsoft's only problem with the XBOX One reveal, honestly--is that they were too far ahead of their time. Almost every major feature of what they announced the One with that people took issue has become a social standard.

Fuck that, I will never buy a game that requires constant activation. No, "being too early" was not the only problem with the Xbox One reveal. I have no problem with an online one-time activation, but that is not at all what microsoft proposed. What they proposed hurts consumer's rights.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
How about don't spoil yourself if you don't want to be spoiled? I know it sounds really complicated but you'll figure it out hopefully.

OP
OP
Lozjam

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Yes, I know you think this, and you're wrong. It won't.

it won't accomplish this.
Why won't it accomplish this?

If you have an 8-18 digit code, that is not released quite yet, is that not the same as, say, a digital store voucher? They merely do the same thing. And while it would be easier to crack on a PC, PC's are also digital only for the most part. And they have very exhaustive forms of DRM(which is something that hurts consumers rights).

I am just trying to find a solution, so that publishers don't get fed up, and require online to play their games.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I'm all for physical media but wouldn't a lot of this go away with a 100% digital market in the future? That is If your not SEGA and you release an entire game instead of a demo.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
An unlock code revealed on release date is not a great idea. It would confuse consumers. Imagine all the calls of "Why can't I play my game? It says I need a code, and I can't find it in the box!" And if people don't have internet they're out of luck. Too much of a hassle.

The better solution is to use your willpower and avoid spoilers. And blacklist whatever retailer launched the game early if it's known.

Edit: And Krejlooc makes an even better point against it.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why won't it accomplish this?

If you have an 8-18 digit code, that is not released quite yet, is that not the same as, say, a digital store voucher?

Digital store vouchers are server-side authentications, the key is never stored on the disc. You propose a solution where client-side authentication exists, ergo the key is stored in the binary. This is, like, super simple cracking shit. You're proposing systems that were defeated 30 years ago, precisely because you don't know how they work.

OP
OP
Lozjam

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I'm all for physical media but wouldn't a lot of this go away with a 100% digital market in the future? That is If your not SEGA and you release an entire game instead of a demo.
In an all digital future, yeah. This won't be a problem.

However, there has to be a better solution for physical media, that doesn't include an online patch being required to experience the full game.
How about don't spoil yourself if you don't want to be spoiled? I know it sounds really complicated but you'll figure it out hopefully.
This isn't really about spoilers.,

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
These are all horrendous ideas. If you're that worried about spoilers, the solution is to stay off sites where spoilers might be posted. If you can't handle not being on Facebook, Era, Reddit, etc.. for more than two seconds, then that's a personal problem.

Online activations, passcodes, only part of the game being on the disc, etc... are all terrible, terrible ideas.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Except this is the opposite of online DRM?

Oh really? So then how do you get, input, and have your code signed without having to be online?

This reads like a parody of their PR to me. Nobody wants or likes these things. They are not "social" features.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
In an all digital future, yeah. This won't be a problem.

However, there has to be a better solution for physical media, that doesn't include an online patch being required to experience the full game.

This isn't really about spoilers.,
Why mention spoilers at all in the OP then?