• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I have no student loan debt anymore after paying it off last year, we are all for this.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I'm for the loan forgiveness plan as long as it coupled with a free/subsidized higher education plan. I'm against a one-time forgiveness with nothing else. I fail to see how that would accomplish anything useful long-term. We'd be in the same situation a decade later.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry your parents failed to instill a proper sense of empathy in you, but the "I suffered, everyone else should suffer" attitude is why this country is moribund.
For a great many people it's not "I suffered", it's "I'm suffering still". That seems to be the part that people in this thread are missing.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Well, listen. I think loan forgiveness is a good thing when it comes to student debt. But there should be some form of accountability or action required on behalf of the person in debt to show they are actually making use of the education conferred.

Like... they need to show they're actually employed in the field of their major and still unable to pay back the loan. Or they could be required to do some form of public service in order to be forgiven.

Public Service Loan Forgiveness, for example, is a great example of this. Under this program, people who work for charities and make minimum payments for 10 years (and it doesn't need to be consecutive) will have the remainder of their federal student loans completely forgiven. The program has issues right now, but they will be straightened out as it matures.

I think some sort of proof that you actually are using the education in some way should be part of the requirement. Or perhaps some sort of requirement that shows you're educating others in the same field, or are otherwise contributing to society. Otherwise it's just a burden of all tax payers without any benefit conferred to society.

For someone to go to school, rack up 5 figures of debt, come out, work in an unrelated field that benefits no one other than themselves, and have no responsibility to pay back the debt, is just sort of a drain on every tax payer.

I'm all for having government subsidized education. But it has to actually, you know, benefit society. People obtaining degrees without using them shouldn't be a "right".

But, people obtaining degrees and working hard in the field of the degree but not able to support themselves? Yes, that is broken. And that should be subsidized.

In other words, I'm all for it provided that people legitimately use the education for some advancement in some way. Higher education needs to be *vocational* and not completely abstract without purpose in order society to justifiably support and subsidize it.

Otherwise, it's a genuine waste of money. And that is what a lot of Warren's critics will say. And they'll be correct.

18 is young, but it's still considered the age of majority and the age where a person can vote and die for their country. You can't say that every person at that age should get a free education regardless of the outcome when it's going to cost over a trillion dollars. The outcome of how they actually use their government subsidized education SHOULD matter. And that's not a right wing concept.

There is the scenario posted earlier in this thread where someone goes for higher education, but for whatever reason isn't able to complete it, so they're left with a mountain of debt and no degree. This flies in the face of the proposal that there needs to be a net benefit to society and I get that, but I do think that's probably someone in most need of this kind of forgiveness (unless they become Bill Gates or something).

But then you have millions of Americans who don't have college loan debt who wouldn't be in line for this program who similarly could really use this money as well, much more than the recent grad who isn't making any income yet but will work his way up the ladder in a few years. So really is this an investment in the future or a handout? If it's the former your proposal makes sense to qualify the use of the degree. If it's the latter it's not broad enough to really impact the lives of the people who desperately need it.

Oct 25, 2017
Guaranteed housing. It will have more impact for less cost and create more jobs. It will reduce medical costs for society and decrease crime across the board. It's a better use of $1.5 trillion. Nothing is more impactful than providing a guaranteed residence for all people (not just shelter).

The USDA has a guaranteed housing program in rural areas, I believe its main purpose allows people who wouldn't qualify to secure a loan.
I think less than 1 million people benefited from that program since 2008. It's a great program but even if you stretch it out nation wide I doubt it will reach more than 45 million. Since you need to be able to afford the mortgage even if you are getting assistance on it.

Unless you mean "let's give everyone property for free and you just pay property tax", that's just not a feasible program and the impact would be very uneven.

Removing student debt would improve quality of life for each of those people instantly, it wouldn't be a trickle down effect, they would suddenly have massive portions of their monthly pay check that they finally have access to, they could take so many more opportunities. It's an opportunity cost, you can either give these people a massive relief instantly with guaranteed benefits that are pretty clear, or you can implement a program that MIGHT have similar effects.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
It's because the US is such garbage that the conservatives are literal evil caricatures and the liberals can take a moral high ground because they actually care about human rights but never mind if the topic of finances come up, it's hard coded in most that "my money is my money, I need any advantage I can personally get, and taxes are bad"

At this point, I think it's a dog whistle whenever a liberal responds to something like this with "but how could we possibly pay for it??????"

Pretty much. The "how can we pay for it" only comes up for things they won't directly benefit from

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
People are just going to keep repeating it as "I suffered and so should you" or "I hate the poor" without bothering to read anything the people they're mocking are actually saying, because it's more fun to argue against an evil and immoral straw man.

For a great many people it's not "I suffered", it's "I'm suffering still". That seems to be the part that people in this thread are missing.

Exactly.

The people who say they're paid off and are fine with it also seem to express they're currently really financially stable. The people who are paid off and are distressed are primarily expressing financial instability.

I have a pretty bad credit card debt that was partially accumulated by prioritizing larger student loan payments to get that particular debt off my back as soon as possible. Massive mistake on my part, apparently, because I doubt anyone's going to offer to help with the credit cards.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So education shouldn't be free to begin with in your eyes either I assume? Or do you have some invisible hoops for people to jump through for that too?
Of course it should. If you have the academic credentials for a scholarship it should be free. If you are doing public service or charity work it should be free. If you are becoming an educator it should be free. If you are working for the government it should be free. Heck, if you're going to a state college as a resident of that state it should be very cheap if not free (but in that case, loans should not be forgiven absent the aforementioned factors).

But if you only took out a loan and just want to not pay it off while working in the private sector after attending a private institution? Well... That's on you.

If loan forgiveness is available, it should go only to those who pursue public welfare. And people should also be given the opportunity to enter a field of public welfare who want to qualify.

But it shouldn't go to those who simply want to not pay their debts. Either pay with installments or pay with service.

I think being forgiven for loans by entering public service is perfectly fair. But expecting forgiveness absent that sacrifice? Sorry, but it's just a waste of money. And it doesn't do enough to benefit all of society for a plan THIS expensive.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is a good example as to why NHS will never take off in the US. Rugged individualism and if I suffered so should everyone else is hard coded into conservative and liberals alike

NHS/M4A has issues because a large portion of the population has coverage and are not affected by it. So they aren't willing to sacrifice the quality/access of care they get now for others to join. The same line of reasoning applies to public education, housing etc.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it should. If you have the academic credentials for a scholarship it should be free. If you are doing public service or charity work it should be free. If you are becoming an educator it should be free. If you are working for the government it should be free. Heck, if you're going to a state college as a resident of that state it should be very cheap if not free (but in that case, loans should not be forgiven absent the aforementioned factors).

But if you only took out a loan and just want to not pay it off while working in the private sector after attending a private institution? Well... That's on you.

If loan forgiveness is available, it should go only to those who pursue public welfare. And people should also be given the opportunity to enter a field of public welfare who want to qualify.

But it shouldn't go to those who simply want to not pay their debts. Either pay with installments or pay with service.

I think being forgiven for loans by entering public service is perfectly fair. But expecting forgiveness absent that sacrifice? Sorry, but it's just a waste of money. And it doesn't do enough to benefit all of society for a plan THIS expensive.

So lots of hoops then, if the job market wants to force everyone to have a bachelors' degree to get into the most menial of office jobs then college should be free, full stop.

Also you clearly don't understand the economic bubble all these loans are sitting on and how it will burst eventually. Then maybe you'll see how this benefits society. Or you still won't care, who can say?

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is the scenario posted earlier in this thread where someone goes for higher education, but for whatever reason isn't able to complete it, so they're left with a mountain of debt and no degree. This flies in the face of the proposal that there needs to be a net benefit to society and I get that, but I do think that's probably someone in most need of this kind of forgiveness (unless they become Bill Gates or something).

But then you have millions of Americans who don't have college loan debt who wouldn't be in line for this program who similarly could really use this money as well, much more than the recent grad who isn't making any income yet but will work his way up the ladder in a few years. So really is this an investment in the future or a handout? If it's the former your proposal makes sense to qualify the use of the degree. If it's the latter it's not broad enough to really impact the lives of the people who desperately need it.
EXACTLY.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Some background on the problem:

The government should absolutely take steps to reign in the cost of higher education (by clamping down on loans, increasing grants, and promoting technical colleges, among other tasks).

Note, however, that other programs that could be funded for the less than the cost of loan pay-off would be more beneficial in both lifting people out of poverty and expanding the economy, such as housing and supporting the homeless, free preschool/childcare for poor families, and paid parental leave.

Warren's proposal to provide $50K bailouts to people making $100K/year is over the top. It's also misleading to call this "canceling" the loans -- the lenders will be paid in full at the cost of $1trillion+ taxpayer dollars.

Isn't the US government the one that holds most of the debt?

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So lots of hoops then, if the job market wants to force everyone to have a bachelors' degree to get into the most menial of office jobs then college should be free, full stop.

Also you clearly don't understand the economic bubble all these loans are sitting on and how it will burst eventually. Then maybe you'll see how this benefits society. Or you still won't care, who can say?
No you don't get it. This could be an opportunity for people NOT to do menial work and get paid substantially in the form of loan forgiveness.

You could do meaningless work and earn 40k per year in the private sector or earn 30k per year in public service but also have 5 figures of loan forgiveness, then it actually incentivizes a shift in the job market.

People will opt for public service jobs and private employers will be forced to increase wages for entry level positions to attract talent from universities or to delegate genuinely menial low paying tasks to high school graduates who can enter the job market without needing a loan for a college degree. Forgiveness should be targeted and purposeful to incentivize more people to do work that benefits society and lower the barrier to entry level jobs in the private sector while simultaneously increasing wages for college graduates across the board.

Giving everyone a handout doesn't have that effect at all. Full stop.

School should be free but the execution has to be more well thought out and purposeful than just "you get 50k bro".

Last edited:

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No you don't get it. This could be an opportunity for people NOT to do menial work and get paid substantially in the form of loan forgiveness.

You could do meaningless work and earn 40k per year in the private sector or earn 30k per year in public service but also have 5 figures of loan forgiveness, then it actually incentivizes a shift in the job market.

People will opt for public service jobs and private employers will be forced to increase wages for entry level positions to attract talent from universities or to delegate genuinely menial low paying tasks to high school graduates who can enter the job market without needing a loan for a college degree. Forgiveness should be targeted and purposeful to incentivize more people to do do work that benefits society and lower the barrier to entry level jobs in the private sector while simultaneously increasing wages for college graduates across the board.

Giving everyone a handout doesn't have that effect at all. Full stop.

School should be free but the execution has to be more well thought out and purposeful than just "you get 50k bro".

And for the people that didn't get a degree that translates over to a government position? Is the government just expanding out an infinite amount of jobs to cater to this idea? Also, obvious joke about how the government is the home of menial jobs and that issue would only be more apparent if they did actually try to create jobs to meet this demand. Like this is an extremely silly argument and I'm amazed you don't see it.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And for the people that didn't get a degree that translates over to a government position? Is the government just expanding out an infinite amount of jobs to cater to this idea? Also, obvious joke about how the government is the home of menial jobs and that issue would only be more apparent if they did actually try to create jobs to meet this demand. Like this is an extremely silly argument and I'm amazed you don't see it.
Ah, well, Sanders and some others are pushing job guarantee over UBI so hypothetically there might be an "infinite" amount of jobs in the public sector in the future but they'll probably be menial as all hell.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Public service jobs are not the same as government jobs. Public service job = any job involving a charity or non profit as an employer. That includes hospitals, museums, schools, charities, libraries, non-.private research labs, volunteer work, etc. and yes, it includes the government too.

And yes, that is very much a large enough group to cover demand. As it is, they can't get enough people to work in hospitals alone.

In other words, through this type of program, working for a charity could be MORE profitable than working for a private employer. And more often than not, that work will be more meaningful too.

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I can't even begin to imagine what the problem could be with this.
The US has enough cash to do giant tax cuts to 1%ers so it could spare a dime or 2 to forgive student loans.
Who cares if it's good policy or not, at least more of that cash is gonna trickle down anyway.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Public service jobs are not the same as government jobs. Public service job = any job involving a charity or non profit as an employer. That includes hospitals, museums, schools, charities, libraries, non-.private research labs, volunteer work, etc. and yes, it includes the government too.

And yes, that is very much a large enough group to cover demand. As it is, they can't get enough people to work in hospitals alone.

In other words, through this type of program, working for a charity could be MORE profitable than working for a private employer. And more often than not, that work will be more meaningful too.

I've been working in the hospital system for going on 10 years now across a few diffferent states. They can get plenty of workers, as is the case with most "non-profit" organizations, they are choosing to lay off workers at a higher rate while continuing to expand to cut costs while still maximizing that profit. So that anecdote is out the window with my anecdote

Meaningful work is an arbitrary idea. What's meaningful to one person means nothing to another and tying people debts to it when the debt shouldn't even have existed in the first place is wild.

enanogrande

Oct 30, 2017
It's hilarious to me that we have people that are about to (hopefully) get a reprieve saying those who did not have a "fuck you got mine" attitude. Really dawg?

Especially so when I see some posters here that argue so passionately for reparations, that they are so blinded by this issue that they can't see the similarities. Those that spent 10/15/20 years paying off their debts are affected for life, permanently, having been set back in saving for retirement/a home/etc. for just as long. It's not only logical for them to ask, "you got yours, where's mine?", but necessary for us as a society to give them aid as well, lest we lose an entire generation in a debt-caused shithole.

I'm lucky not to have ever dealt with this, as I did my undergrad overseas and therefore didn't have to deal with the US' asinine system. But some of you have to step back and see the whole picture instead of getting self-righteous over some "evil GOP" strawman.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been working in the hospital system for going on 10 years now across a few diffferent states. They can get plenty of workers, as is the case with most "non-profit" organizations, they are choosing to lay off workers at a higher rate while continuing to expand to cut costs while still maximizing that profit. So that anecdote is out the window with my anecdote

Meaningful work is an arbitrary idea. What's meaningful to one person means nothing to another and tying people debts to it when the debt shouldn't even have existed in the first place is wild.
I don't argue that we should tie loan forgiveness to whether work is subjectively meaningful. I argue we should tie it to whether it serves public interest which is not a subjective standard.

Hospitals may be doing great, but like you said, their workers aren't. You're arguing the same thing I am. They should have loan forgiveness.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As noted earlier, there have been tried and true loan repayment/forgiveness programs that have the government pay off your loans and garnish your income (by 5-10%) over 10-30 years (or until the inflation adjusted payoff amount is reached).

But a $50K windfall is free money with no strings attached, making for a better sound bite.
I'm already on a income based repayment plan. My payments are like 360 or so a month. It especially sucks because I'm a government contractor. So, I work for a government agency but I don't get the government payoff period IBR. It sucks.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
This will accomplish zero if it isn't paired with MAJOR tuition reform. So you forgive all the debts - which is really just making taxpayers pay for everyone's existing tuition debts, but then next week when Jimmy Joe wants to go to Uni, he takes on the same ol' debts. Doesn't seem very good to me...

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This will accomplish zero if it isn't paired with MAJOR tuition reform. So you forgive all the debts - which is really just making taxpayers pay for everyone's existing tuition debts, but then next week when Jimmy Joe wants to go to Uni, he takes on the same ol' debts. Doesn't seem very good to me...

Tuition reform requires:
1. Severely curtailing new student loans and
2. Pushing students towards community college and technical programs

Neither proposal is likely to be popular with students or parents (or 4-year/for-profit colleges/universities).

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
I've dutifully paid my loans for years and they're almost gone.

Forgive student loans. Seriously, fucking do it. Me getting punched in the dick is no excuse to want to punch others in the dick.

Forgiving student loans will help the economy, or at least help us not avert another massive fucking crash when everyone realizes what's going on with student debt. It helps us all, including those who paid theirs off. Not wanting this is cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Instead of full forgiveness, would a reduction of 50% be more palatable for all parties? I mean someone is on the hook for the the debt, whether it be the tax payers or the loan originator. I think even reducing current loans owed by 50% in most situations would lift a lot of people up without completely gutting responsibility of the original loan holder. I think some percentage reduction would be more appropriate in that a lot of people who would be in charge of seeing this kind of bill pass would feel like 100% forgivness is the same as being completely exonerated of responsibility.

Really we need to look at more appropriate tuition options, and pricing going forward for sustainability. I think having more options for community college and making those associate degrees at a decent price is key. Giving more support of the trades and skilled labor training as well. I hate the idea that many people have of being a college graduate is the major metric for success of most people.

Last edited:

ecnal

Oct 27, 2017
Top third of Americans? What are you on about?

Math™

Approximately a third of Americans have a bachelor's degree, meaning the vast majority of Americans have not graduated from college. Graduating from college provides tangible benefits -- like the ability to out-earn non-college educated Americans -- as well as intangible benefits -- providing graduates with a key social class indicator. Defining college graduates as anything but the top third or an elite minority would be intellectually dishonest at best.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Tuition reform requires:
1. Severely curtailing new student loans and
2. Pushing students towards community college and technical programs

Neither proposal is likely to be popular with students or parents (or 4-year/for-profit colleges/universities).

I don't disagree, but I suppose I just don't see how this helps the situation if it's simply a one-time thing.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree, but I suppose I just don't see how this helps the situation if it's simply a one-time thing.

It's a one time loan forgiveness followed by free public postsecondary education. So that is a net positive. It is highly unlikely to pass but we arguing the merits of the proposal rather than its feasibility.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
It's a one time loan forgiveness followed by free public postsecondary education. So that is a net positive. It is highly unlikely to pass but we arguing the merits of the proposal rather than its feasibility.

Ah, I think I missed the second part. That's what I meant by tuition reform more or less. A one time loan forgiveness only makes sense in my mind if paired with removal or serious restructuring of tuition going forward.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not meant to solve debt problems of the future, her policy proposal regarding college tuition addresses that.

It's a one-time thing to address a one-time debt load right now.

https://www.theatlantic.com/educati...student-debt-make-public-college-free/587683/
Research has shown that student debt has devastating effects on black students in particular, and Democratic candidates have discussed that outsize debt burden as they've focused on historically black colleges and universities this election cycle in the hope of ginning up support among black voters. But Warren's plan offers one thing that has yet to be promised to the black colleges in a significant way: money.

The glue that holds Warren's plan together for the future, however, is her universal debt-free-college proposal. It has been a part of her higher-education platform for the past several years, and as I wrote in February, a free-college proposal—or an explanation for why they do not have one—is practically an entry fee for the 2020 election for Democratic candidates. Warren proposes that the federal government commit to investing in higher education at a level that, coupled with state spending, would make public two- and four-year colleges tuition-free. She would also expand the Pell Grant program to address additional living expenses associated with college.

You can think of it as a one-shot stimulus plan, kind of like the Obama stimulus, except targeted directly at debtors.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Math™

Approximately a third of Americans have a bachelor's degree, meaning the vast majority of Americans have not graduated from college. Graduating from college provides tangible benefits -- like the ability to out-earn non-college educated Americans -- as well as intangible benefits -- providing graduates with a key social class indicator. Defining college graduates as anything but the top third or an elite minority would be intellectually dishonest at best.
I don't know what world you're living in but college graduates are not an elite minority, especially not in a system where some level of college is basically a requirement to get an entry-level position in most professions. You can't just look at the total population of America, see how many have gone to college, and get an accurate picture of what's going on. You certainly can't get an accurate picture of who is most affected by college loan debt.

Quantification doesn't mean anything if you don't know what you're quantifying or what the number you're pulling out really reflects. That requires actual critical, often qualitative, thinking.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what world you're living in but college graduates are not an elite minority, especially not in a system where some level of college is basically a requirement to get an entry-level position in most professions. You can't just look at the total population of America, see how many have gone to college, and get an accurate picture of what's going on. You certainly can't get an accurate picture of who is most affected by college loan debt.

Quantification doesn't mean anything if you don't know what you're quantifying or what the number you're pulling out really reflects. That requires actual critical, often qualitative, thinking.

I had the same thought but that figure is based on people over the age of 25. I ended up reviewing some OCED global data and I was surprised how many first world nations have even lower rates.

Oct 26, 2017
Two important things to note here. 1) This is an elected debt, everyone made a decision to take this agreement upon themselves. 2) The purpose of an education is (unless pursuing academia) to increase your earning potential. We've got a generation studying useless shit these days.

A lot of folks I know didn't go to college because they couldn't afford it. I feel like the true meaning of a loan has lost its value recently in society. What do you expect when you study a useless major at an expensive U and wonder why you're upside down?

Also, what about folks who already worked hard and suffered in order to repay their agreements?

This is absolutely stupid. Everyone elected to take the debt themselves? So it's not the fact that post-secondary education is essentially a requirement to be able to secure a good paying job? Or the fact that not everyone is from well off backgrounds that a loan is a must to be able to progress through college?

Additionally how do you prove the whole "generation studying stupid shit"? Because where I am, I know people who are struggling to find jobs in sciences and technology and they certainly didn't study any "stupid shit." You are absolutely clueless. It's much more difficult to find careers now than it was 10-20+ years ago.

The funny thing too is you whatabouting the people who paid it off successfully. Let me ask you this, did you pay off your student loans? Or are you just whatabouting out of your ass? Because I was fortunate enough to be able to pay off my student loans in the year that I graduated (all thanks to being given way more scholarships and grants than I actually needed), and not even I care that much about "suffering" to get them paid. If anything, I'd rather the next generation never had to worry about it like I did.

By your logic, no one should be given access to new medications that would cure terminal illness because well "the other people suffered to regain their health!1!1!1!1!1!1"

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No one ever said you need a relevant degree to get a government job. Have you ever actually read job announcements? Many of them say BA required. They say nothing else.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No one ever said you need a relevant degree to get a government job. Have you ever actually read job announcements? Many of them say BA required. They say nothing else.

The person I had been quoting opened up his whole thing with making sure you are using your degree in an applicable field actually. So....yeah, someone did say that non-sense.

Don't @ me hours later without reading the conversation.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if forgiving the whole debts is realistic but how about forgiving the interest?

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had the same thought but that figure is based on people over the age of 25. I ended up reviewing some OCED global data and I was surprised how many first world nations have even lower rates.
Yeah, me saying "total population" wasn't clear, but talking about people going to college should imply people old enough to have gone to college.

Additionally, the population of people who have completed college isn't necessarily a good proxy for people who have loans from college, since about a third of people don't even complete college.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
Ok...where to start?
This is absolutely stupid. Everyone elected to take the debt themselves?
Actually...yeah, they did. Nobody forced you to take on a loan. Every person who takes a loan, takes it out under the agreement that they will pay it back. It's pretty simple.
So it's not the fact that post-secondary education is essentially a requirement to be able to secure a good paying job?
Yeah...this is false. Over half of my extended family has either started successful careers, has started their own business, or is doing pretty well for themselves without ever having gone to college. In hindsight, I'd actually have considered going the trade route if I could do it again...and I'm successfully employed in the land development & engineering sector. I've seen it work all too well for people who apply themselves the right way and act hungrily for entrepreneurial opportunities. Maybe you won't have that "high paying job" right out of the gate...but the opportunities are there. Same with schooling. Too often, many graduates assume they should be paid at equal standing to those with actual EXPERIENCE.
Or the fact that not everyone is from well off backgrounds that a loan is a must to be able to progress through college?
Again, nobody is forced to take out a loan. People should consider what factors are available at hand and make the correct decisions for their lives. Most people go to college to increase their earning potential. A student loan is an investment in the borrower, obviously b/c the type of debt and ROI for the bank, but also because the individuals are in most cases, increasing their earning potential...or should be.

Additionally how do you prove the whole "generation studying stupid shit"? Because where I am, I know people who are struggling to find jobs in sciences and technology and they certainly didn't study any "stupid shit." You are absolutely clueless. It's much more difficult to find careers now than it was 10-20+ years ago.
I'm not clueless...but thanks for assuming you know and understand my background and situation. I graduated 2014, so not far removed from what you are describing. Secondly, I graduated from my U's college of engineering & computer sciences (FL, USA) and I'm pretty sure just about every close acquaintance of mine from school is happily employed. In fact, it was almost unheard of to not be able to find a job fresh out of school for my degree (Civil, or engineering at large for that matter). Also, in my field there is a abundance of job opportunities at the current moment due to the rising ship economy. I'm referring to folks who spend tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars at overpriced institutions for a humanities degree, etc. then wonder why they can't find a job due to a lack of demand or high paying positions in that field.

The funny thing too is you whatabouting the people who paid it off successfully. Let me ask you this, did you pay off your student loans? Or are you just whatabouting out of your ass? Because I was fortunate enough to be able to pay off my student loans in the year that I graduated (all thanks to being given way more scholarships and grants than I actually needed), and not even I care that much about "suffering" to get them paid. If anything, I'd rather the next generation never had to worry about it like I did.
Since you asked me... yes, I have paid off my student loans. I too, was a recipient of my state's scholarship opportunities and this helped keep my ending balance much more reasonable. I also worked while I was in school. But thanks for personally singling out my whataboutism.

By your logic, no one should be given access to new medications that would cure terminal illness because well "the other people suffered to regain their health!1!1!1!1!1!1"
And this where irony sets in for me.... I'll have you know I actually have a potentially terminal illness that requires daily medication to combat. Because people suffered before?? So nobody can have a polio vaccine, because millions suffered & died before it was available? This isn't even an applicable analogy. Healthcare + education/job opportunities are not analogous. Without medicine, the a cure does not exist. Without college, there are still a variety of opportunities/paths. There are also such things as scholarships for those who need or qualify for them.

I'm not here to defend college tuition, etc.... I think it's ridiculously over-priced and frankly, not worth what it once was. I'm here to say that folks willingly take on this risk and there are other opportunities present. I do think that the schools themselves should have more "skin in the game" when it comes to student loans. It shouldn't be a one-sided proposition with all the chips stacked against the student. Maybe next time respond to an opinion you disagree with without incorrectly inserting yourself into that person's shoes.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Yep. That said, I was surprised by the low rates of tertiary (postsecondary) degrees for several first world countries that basically have free or low cost access to education.

https://data.oecd.org/eduatt/adult-education-level.htm#indicator-chart
Doesn't really surprise me.
For many majors there are few jobs out there that honest to god REQUIRE anything higher than Bachelors. Nothing wrong with that. Just because tuition is cheaper doesn't mean everyone will or needs to jump the gun to go to college.
The problem is for many Americans just getting that Bachelors puts you in a financial black hole and effects the entire economy with it.

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
Instead of full forgiveness, would a reduction of 50% be more palatable for all parties? I mean someone is on the hook for the the debt, whether it be the tax payers or the loan originator. I think even reducing current loans owed by 50% in most situations would lift a lot of people up without completely gutting responsibility of the original loan holder. I think some percentage reduction would be more appropriate in that a lot of people who would be in charge of seeing this kind of bill pass would feel like 100% forgivness is the same as being completely exonerated of responsibility.

Really we need to look at more appropriate tuition options, and pricing going forward for sustainability. I think having more options for community college and making those associate degrees at a decent price is key. Giving more support of the trades and skilled labor training as well. I hate the idea that many people have of being a college graduate is the major metric for success of most people.

I agree and we really need to look into the source of student loan debts. Students who attend for-profit colleges have much higher loan default rates compared to public institutions. I just searched a few schools I know

Official Cohort Default Rate Search for Postsecondary Schools Fiscal Years 2015, 2014, 2013

For the FY2015 Cohort:

Harvard University: 1.2%
University of California Los Angeles: 1.8%
University of Southern California: 1.8%
California State University Los Angeles: 5.4%
Devry University: 11.2%
University of Phoenix: 12.3%

Headwinds for graduate student borrowers: Rising balances and slowing repayment rates

Many more graduate and large balance borrowers are borrowing to attend for-profit schools, which tend to have worse outcomes. In 1990 about 1 percent of active graduate borrowers attended for-profits. By 2014, the for-profit share of graduate students had increased to 17 percent. The rise in for-profit attendance is larger for borrowers with large balances: among graduate borrowers who owe more than $50,000, increase in for-profit share was from 3 percent to 21 percent.

As for partial forgiveness, I think a policy could be crafted that's more politically viable and benefit some students more than the Warren proposal. IMO, her policy has no chance of passing, but is a good opener to start talking about the student loan problem.

Perhaps a 50% reduction, $50,000 max and refinancing the remainder over 20 years at the 20 year Treasury rate (currently 2.81%).

Student 1 has $30,000* of debt at 6.00% interest over ten years and currently pays $333.06/month.
Student 2 has $120,000 of debt at 6.00% interest over ten years and currently pays $1,332.25/month.

Under the Warren plan:
Student 1 pays $0.00/month
Student 2 has $70,000 remaining debt and pays $777.14/month

Under alternative plan:
Student 1 has $15,000 of debt at 2.81% interest over twenty years and pays $81.77/month.
Student 2 has $70,000 of debt at 2.81% interest over twenty years and pays $381.59/month.

The numbers can be modified up or down to fit budget and program goals. What about 70% reduction with $70,000 max?

Student 1 has $9,000 of debt at 2.81% interest over twenty years and pays $49.06/month.
Student 2 has $50,000 of debt at 2.81% interest over twenty years and pays $272.57/month.

*I chose $30,000 because quick Google search had:

A Look at the Shocking Student Loan Debt Statistics for 2019

Among the Class of 2018, 69% of college students took out student loans, and they graduated with an average debt of $29,800, including both private and federal debt. Meanwhile, 14% of their parents took out an average of $35,600 in federal Parent PLUS loans.

And I used $120,000 because the Warren plan has a cap of $50,000, and wanted to illustrate a meaningful difference with the alternative plan.

I'd also set a floor and forgive the first $5,000, or better yet $10,000 of debt regardless of the 50% percentage. Why?

Who Are Student Loan Defaulters?

The median defaulter takes out slightly over $9,600—just more than one-half of what the median nondefaulter borrows.3 Three out of every 10 defaulters are African American and nearly one-half of all defaulters never finish college

Typical media narratives portray borrowers with large debts as those most likely to struggle.26 While these individuals may have trouble affording their payments, they are not at as great a risk of default as those with smaller loan balances.

Table 2 shows the median debt load for students who defaulted on their loans broken down by attainment status, the first type of institution attended, and race. In almost every case, the median loan defaulter owed thousands of dollars less than their peers who did not default. For instance, the median defaulter owed $9,625—$8,500 less than the median loan balance for a nondefaulter.

Yes the plan I brought up is complicated and isn't a clean $50,000 forgiveness. But some variation might be the better plan.

Now for the funding mechanism, don't do a wealth tax! It's a massive pain to implement and the IRS will not be able to effectively enforce it. Tax the rich, sure, but don't make taxpayers value and report their assets annually. That'll create a nightmare for the tax courts.

Superman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
日本
They still get free college. Less of them will have to make the hard choice of potentially serving overseas in exchange for college, instead only people with an interest in that field will join. The government can provide them additional benefits.
No, I mean the people that have it and have not used it. Would they get that money back or would the government keep it is the question.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, I mean the people that have it and have not used it. Would they get that money back or would the government keep it is the question.
Seems like an edge case but the government would probably keep.

It would be just part of the process, probably, where to qualify for forgiveness you need to submit academic records, bills from the school and bank records.

Last edited:

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It was discouraging to see so many debt-free posters express that they feel like they're losing something by others having their debt cancelled. I'm very lucky in that this wouldn't personally affect me, but it would be wonderful to see.

Yeah, it's a terrible position to take. I worked my ass off to keep a high GPA so I didn't lose my 100% Bright Futures scholarship,
but everyone else getting a break after the fact doesn't affect me in the slightest.