• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Capcom has been porting all of their glorious Mega Man games over the years to every seemingly platform possible. I hope that MMBN will come soon but I am also hoping for an old forgotten gem...

MEGA MAN X: COMMAND MISSION!

What is Mega Man X: Command Mission?

Well, to put it simply, it was a Mega Man RPG that came out on GCN and PS2... and YES, it was fucking glorious and seemingly forgotten by the masses...

It boasted a catchy and electric O.S.T., fun fast paced battles and a decent story with voice acting so bad it was good.

My hopes and dreams are that it releases onto modern consoles and steam. Please Capcom!

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Despite the absolutely miserable voice acting, I loved this game. Just a great RPG.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
There was one summer as a kid where this game was my JAM. always thought the energy tanks were a neat way of including a setting-accurate healing mechanism (You have X% to allocate towards healing one person or the party by a certain amount) while also challenging players to consider when and how they heal. Because it's either that or pulling out the one character Cinnamon who's a dedicated healer

Your CO REDIPS playing both sides up to posing as a party member was almost a cool twist... if it wasn't horribly telegraphed by said character's name, SPIDER. Now it's just hilarious

put it on PSN already!

Last edited:

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
This game was better than it had any right to be. Yeah, like Sagroth mentioned, the voice acting was atrocious, but that's just practically a staple for Mega Man games :D

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Yeah it sucks that this never got another release or a sequel, i enjoyed it enough to want more. But this is another victim of capcom overstuffing megaman at the time like zx, starforce, and legends 3. While zx got a second chance and the rumor is star force is as well i don't if this one ever will, it may be in a situation like xenosaga people want the port/remaster but the company doesn't see it profitable to actually do so

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I actually have the PS2 version but aside from some cleaner graphics at the time nobody could ever tell me if/why the GC version was better other than "it's better" or something. This does need a remaster of some type, but I don't know if its gameplay would fly these days without remaking the battle system to be a bit faster-paced.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I still have my Cube copy...and never did beat the game.

This thread is making me want to dig it all out of the closet...

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hah, I remember this game from when I was a kid. A friend and I would take turns by being a character and choosing our moves. I don't think we beat it, but I have fond memories of it and think back on it relatively often.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Also, credit where credit's due, they didn't shoehorn in Sigma, he's completely absent. Felt refreshing

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Always got this confused with Network Transmission (which I still haven't beaten or really played much of). Really bummed i missed out on it at the time since I love a good JRPG and Mega Man is my favorite character in video gaming.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I never played this but I remember being very interested once I found out about it. It was already a few years old by then, and I ended up being turned off because the screenshots I saw made it seem like the game was mainly indoors and boring futuristic corridors. If it's not the case I might yet plat it some day.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I was really disappointed that they didn't throw this into one of the Mega Man X collections.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
It is awesome!! I recently started playing it because I downloaded Dolphin to try it out. I don't why this didn't become more popular. There should be a remake or a new game!

Capcom take notice!!

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Just sampled the soundtrack... think I might have to pick this up sooner rather than later.

Gamecube or PS2 version? Either version offer a better experience over the other (progressive scan, overall performance, sound, etc)? I'm partial to playing multiplats from that era on the PS2 as I've got the optical out running to my receiver and I'm a bit of an audio nerd.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
I always wanted to go back since I could never afford it at the time but looking back at it now... random battles is gonna feel so outdated. Also wasn't there some nonsense outrage about the new character Axl? I remember there being some sort of discourse around that character.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Played through this for the first time earlier this year and had a blast. It really is a Mega Man X RPG, which means it's low budget and light on story, but it also goes a lot further with its mechanics to really feel like an X game than I could've imagined. Great character design work too.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved that Command Mission felt like a true evolution of Xenogears/Saga Eps 1 combat, and the story wasn't bad.

Also Command Mission X was my favorite X Design ever until the Ver KM design was released....I need that in a real X game Capcom.

Absolute Zero is best Ultimate Zero form as well.

Encounter rate was fucking obscene though, nearly ruined the game.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Game is legit good, combat was fun and really loved X new design. Pretty unfortunate it never got a sequel

OP
OP
Richardbro

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I had no idea that this was the standard Battle music. Really makes me regret not picking this up back in the day based on that alone.

Oh this was actually a special boss music in the game. The regular battle theme was:

So many good pieces of music in this game, would recommend anyone listen to the O.S.T. as its fantastic.

Just sampled the soundtrack... think I might have to pick this up sooner rather than later.

Gamecube or PS2 version? Either version offer a better experience over the other (progressive scan, overall performance, sound, etc)? I'm partial to playing multiplats from that era on the PS2 as I've got the optical out running to my receiver and I'm a bit of an audio nerd.

PS2 version holds up well to the GCN version and I believe quite comparable.

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
Always loved X's design in this one, gives off major leader vibes. Got my copy when I was still a kid and played it all the way up until I reached the final dungeon, then I just stopped playing for whatever reason.

I revisited the game about 2 or 3 years ago and finally beat it, still not done with all the post-game content tho. And yes, music's great, too.

I actually have the PS2 version but aside from some cleaner graphics at the time nobody could ever tell me if/why the GC version was better other than "it's better" or something. This does need a remaster of some type, but I don't know if its gameplay would fly these days without remaking the battle system to be a bit faster-paced.

I knew the encounter rate differed between versions, I just couldn't remember how exactly, the GameFAQs guide I used the last time I played it goes over the differences:

PLAYSTATION 2 VERSION
---------------------
The PS2 version, aside from slightly fuzzier graphics and surprisingly slow-
er load times, seemingly has a decreased random enemy encounter rate, and is
overall a bit easier than its GameCube counterpart. The PlayStation 2 version
also has an unlockable demo of MEGA MAN X8 that allows you to play through
an abbreviated version of Noah's Park (the intro level). To get it, you have
to find it during your trip through Central Tower (although if you can't find
it, maybe you should get glasses? It's in plain sight). Once you've picked up
the Mystery Data containing the demo, you'll be able to access it from the
game's Title Screen. In the demo, you control X, Axl, and Zero to see how the
controls are, and you fight the Crabboss-Y at the end. The latter third of
the level is omitted in this demo.

GAMECUBE VERSION
----------------
The GCN version, apart from the lack of the MEGA MAN X8 demo, is surprisingly
the stronger version. The graphics are much brighter and crisper and the load
times are much faster than its PS2 counterpart. Additionally, the fact that
the GCN version utilizes Dolby Pro Logic II for its sound, the background
music and voices are much better. But two of the GameCube's main differences
come in the form of the overall harder difficulty of the game (this is due
to the increased frequency of random enemy encounters and the fact that the
game penalizes you quicker for taking too long to beat enemies) and the GCN-
to-GBA connectivity. By activating this feature, you enable the "Treasure
Radar", which you can use this to hunt out special Treasure Tokens that can
be used at a special vending machine to purchase six additional Figure Sets
for the Sky Room collection.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Always loved X's design in this one, gives off major leader vibes. Got my copy when I was still a kid and played it all the way up until I reached the final dungeon, then I just stopped playing for whatever reason.

I revisited the game about 2 or 3 years ago and finally beat it, still not done with all the post-game content tho. And yes, music's great, too.

I knew the encounter rate differed between versions, I just couldn't remember how exactly, the GameFAQs guide I used the last time I played it goes over the differences:

PLAYSTATION 2 VERSION
---------------------

GAMECUBE VERSION
----------------
Wow, thanks for looking up what I was too lazy/busy to do!

Hm...... so... given current prices... I think I'll stick to my PS2 version. :P

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope they hand it to Hexadrive or something for a proper widescreen remaster on Switch and other platforms. The way X7 and X8 were handled in MMXLC2 were pretty underwhelming. 4:3 only, the HUD was vaguely upscaled (but not perfectly IIRC), and the FMVs were really low-quality, much worse than 480p ones should've been. Hopefully a proper remaster gives it the coat of paint it rightfully deserves. I LOVED this game on GC! :D

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
PS2 version holds up well to the GCN version and I believe quite comparable.

PLAYSTATION 2 VERSION
---------------------

GAMECUBE VERSION
----------------

Thanks for the info! Ended up getting the Gamecube version. Found a great copy and it's a bit cheaper than the PS2 version. Thought it would be the other way around but go figure.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There are two very specific things I want from a Mega Man X Command Mission remaster.

NO random encounters. All enemies must be on the field.

The ability to jump. I don't care if there's no reason to jump. I just want to jump. It's Mega Man. LET ME JUMP!

That is all. I enjoyed this game at the time. It's pretty fun. Could never beat the Ninetails challenge though.

Great soundtrack too.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I really loved this game. It didn't actually get great reviews back in the day, but I picked it up purely because i love Mega Man X and JRPGs. I ended up absolutely loving the game.

Also, it had Spider, a noir robot bounty hunter that throws explosive throwing cards. He's basically Robo Gambit.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Came in to post dat Massimo theme and see that I was already beaten. I'll post the Ninetails theme instead, awesome bonus fights

Network Transmission is also another MM gem to me with an amazing soundtrack as well.