• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Thanos transported his mothership to the future and it is HUGE. It's large enough to carry a large enough army we see in the final battle.

wiophjyrurxz.jpg
Yes, that's the part that was a stretch for me. Is this something I took points off for? No.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The bit with Cap, Mjolnir and the lightning felt a little off. Thor is the God of Thunder, right? I didn't think his hammer generated it. But I'm willing to accept certain inconsistencies for The Rule of Cool, I guess.

OP
OP

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Odin says the Mjolnr wasn't the source of Thor's strength.
This does not rule out the hammer not having the power of Thor.
Thor has Thor's power, but the hammer can also have Thor's power.
But that's nonsensical and never really said or even implied until it's suits End Game in the movies.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
4 this doesn't answer the issue of energy required at site in the future or how they teleported from middle space to earths base instantly.
Throughout the entire movie people were transporting themselves to different locations when they time traveled. Why is this holding you up when it's consistent with the rest of the movie?

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't really a checklist. The time travel stuff, and tony using the infinity gauntlet was just absurd to me. It just felt like cheesy fan service.

Yeah I was caught off guard too, never expected any fan service in a movie that is the culmination of over a decade of film making with multiple character arcs that use comic books as their source material.

There are some actual legit complaints to be had about Endgame (namely how Black Widow's death is handled, Thor's character arc and so on) but your list is nitpicky nonsense. I mean come on, you're complaining about nanomachines being ridiculous in a movie that features time travel and Pym particles.

giphy.gif

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna comment on the many points well answered by everyone else, I do wanna say something about thanos beating the hulk.

Thanos doesnt use the power stone in the beginning of infinity war to beat hulk. So how does he win so easily? Honestly I thanos is pretty well equipped to ahndle hulk. Thanos is at least able to go toe to toe with thor, who is already established as someone who can handle hulk, and beyond that, hulk is a pure rage fighter, not alot of strategy or fundamentals here, which I think its easy to assume thanos most certainly would be. It's not so much that he beats hulk, he just see hulk for what he is and dismantles him.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
But that's nonsensical and never really said or even implied until it's suits End Game in the movies.
The hammer says he who is worthy shall have the power of Thor. This was said way back in Thor 1. Cap is worthy so he got the power

It's hard to debate you when you clearly don't have all the information and are saying things the movies have already explained

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the movie, but the pacing was off at points and there were a few other technical issues.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Yes, that's the part that was a stretch for me. Is this something I took points off for? No.

You have to shrink to visit the quantom zone to time travel

We've seen in Antman and the wasp that when a vehicle shrink, and it's enclosed, the occupent is shrink too.

It's a spaceship, so it shrink and travel through the quantom zone to visit the future.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
That's what he said, yes. So we just have to take his word at it, even though he seems to be provably wrong.
He has no reason to lie. If he, for example, told Thor to aim for the head, maybe Thor would've taken an extra fraction of a second to focus that still resulted in the snap and them losing.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Thanos never used the Power Stone to take out Hulk. He does however directly tap into the Power Stone to knock Captain Marvel back.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there was a reason why Tony had to snap again, and Carol couldn't just help them clean up the rest of the fight, then I'm not very sure of it.

?

Carol was knocked out and Thanos was less than a second away from snapping his fingers multiple times in the end there.

Every second they delayed was giving Thanos time to do what he'd set out to do.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
He has no reason to lie. If he, for example, told Thor to aim for the head, maybe he took an extra fraction of a second that still resulted in the snap and them losing.
I'm not saying he's lying. He can be telling what he believes to be true and still be wrong, at least by the established rules and circumstances that the movies have made clear.

?

Carol was knocked out and Thanos was less than a second away from snapping his fingers multiple times in the end there.

Every second they delayed was giving Thanos time to do what he'd set out to do.
Yeah at that point, obviously. But Strange could have warned them both about that. And without explaining why, the movie just leaves us guessing. There are more obvious ways they could have gotten away with it than obvious ways they would have failed, so it feels cheap.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
3 Like I've already said Odin said what Mijolner actually was and does in Ragnorok. It's a cornerstone of the movie that Thors power does not come from Mijolner at all.
What happens in Ragnarok isn't contradictory to what others are saying.

Here's the course of events:

In the first Thor movie, Odin casts an enchantment on Thor's hammer, saying "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of THOR!"

So the hammer has an enchantment on it - placed by Odin himself in the first movie - that results in anyone worthy possessing the power of Thor.

So yes, the hammer is not the source of Thor's power. It helps Thor focus his power. In addition, it also grants anyone worthy the power of Thor (as it does for Cap in Endgame, because he is worthy). Does that help?

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the rules of the hammer contradicts itself with the power of lightning. Thor has Thor powers. The hammer has Thor's power, and the person that holds it also has something similar to Thor's power. Even in the very beginning of Ragnarok, Mjolnir does show it contains the power Thor within it. When Hela breaks the hammer, it literally creates a giant lightning blast.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely agree about Thanos feeling like he was retrofitted for the plot rather then carrying on what was established about him during previous MCU movies. They did him wrong.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I understand that. Which is why Thor thought it was the source of his power. It was a gift from Odin. Then Odin corrects Thor in that it was only to help him focus his power in Ragnorok. In other words Odin put that there for Thor to be confident in his power when the whole time it was just Thor not mijolner

You don't seem to understand.

The hammer still gives other wielders the power of Thor. It's just not the source of Thor's own powers.

It's a simple concept.

You scoffed at the idea that ANYTHING in this movie is inconsistent, there's no arguing with you.

You gonna present an example for us to discuss (cause every single one of OP's are bull) or you just here to bullshit?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I saw this movie opening night and was stunned at how sloppy the plot is. It felt rushed and completely arbitrary.

Throughout the MCU we are told only titans and celestials can handle infinity stones. Just holding one almost kills all the guardians but Tony Stark can handle all five long enough to snap? Ha no.

Thanos straight takes Hulk apart casually and walks right through scarlet witch but then in end game his power level fluctuates wildly and is suddenly held up by Thor and Cap with relative ease and almost gets solo killed by Scarlet Witch. Thanos gets weaker throughout End Game seemingly just as a plot device.

Suddenly Cap can not only wield mijolner but he also has Thors power of lightning! Absolutely unearned and silly.

Pim particles. In ant man 2 we are told shrinking down to the sub atomic zone (sp) takes a ton of energy and special particles per person. But apparently a hand from Nebula and half a vial of pim particles and Thanks can shrink his entire ship full of thousands of troops back to the future! Absolutely ridiculous.

The absolute lack of the galaxy in End Game is insane. So we kill half the universe but I guess no one cares but Earth right? Where are the Kree? The other celestials? Anyone else in the entire universe? Terrible.

One of the things I liked about the MCU was its seemingly planned out nature but End game for me showed this is far more fake it till you make it than a real plan. End Game discards tons of its own rules and tends to just make shit up on the fly to suit it's purpose. It felt rushed and the action was incredibly poor especially when taking the source material into account. I was really disappointed and surprised it got such good reviews. To me it's the 4 worst marvel movie above IM3, TDW, and Hulk.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
1 nano machines can control the infinity stones now? Which would mean nano machines are on the same level as celestials? Once again that just makes no sense in the scheme of things.

2 he kills cap with one punch in the comics. He knocks him out with one punch without the stones in the prior movie. Made zero sense that now cap and fat Thor can hold him off.

3 I've already answered this so I'll agree to disagree here

4 this doesn't answer the issue of energy required at site in the future or how they teleported from middle space to earths base instantly. I guess that was the magic of nebulas fingers.

5 if the rest of the galaxy doesn't matter why are the guardians there?

I think the big difference is I've read the source material and up until End Game I felt like they were doing the source material justice with needed changes but End Game is a shadow of what was in the comics.
1) The only real explanation given for the stones is that something has to be strong enough to wield it. Thanos isn't a celestial but is "strong enough to wield it". Hulk is neither a celestial or a titan but is just strong enough to wield the stones. Tony Stark who has created technology to fight off against Hulk and Thanos (just barely) in the past so durability wise, it stands to reason that his armor could withstand the power of the stones long enough to use the stones. And still that's not enough because he dies. I don't know how much more cut and dry it can get here. Your main issue here is that Tony's armor is too strong but that has been the case since..... Avengers 1 when he tanked Mjolnir from Thor. If this was an actual iron suit, then Tony would have turned into a red mess since Mjolnir is insanely powerful and heavy.

2) He knocked him out with one punch in this movie too! At the end when Cap is around his neck and Thor is trying to hold off Thanos with both hammers, Thanos grabs Cap, punches him and Cap is out for a good while. At the beginning of the fight, most of the time Cap was blocking Thanos with his shield and the shield broke as well.

4) You don't think Thanos and co have enough energy to pull this off? And the place where they are at doesn't really matter when it comes to using the Pym particles, they can be anywhere. They already established earlier in the movie that you can shrink the Benitar ship. This honestly sounds like something that would never have been an issue if Russos pulled a Nolan and spent 5 minutes on exposition on how Thanos formulates his plan to invade a previous timeline...

5) Most of the Guardians are DEAD in Endgame! And the Guardians are there because they have personal stakes in the matter especially against Thanos. The Guardians are not associated with any planet or any galaxy, their beef is with Thanos. And because its characters we have actually followed in the past, the audience is able to connect with them. Nebula and Gamora are Thanos' daughters, of course they were going to be in the movies involving Thanos. Starlord loves Gamora so he is going to follow her, Drax has a bone to pick with Thanos and Rocket just wanted to follow Thor to find some cool weapons but now in Endgame its personal for him as Thanos took away his family.

Most of the MCU uses its own logic that is very different from the comics and rightfully so. You can't expect stuff to work the same as in comics. Some stuff does but not most of it.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Definitely agree about Thanos feeling like he was retrofitted for the plot rather then carrying on what was established about him during previous MCU movies. They did him wrong.

Thanos took on Cap, Tony, and Thor and won. Even after Cap picked up the hammer. If it wasn't for the rest of the Avengers showing up it would've been over right there.

You could argue that was a stronger showing than anything he did in IW, and he did all that with no stones

I don't see how he was done wrong. They also will always have to live with half of the universe being snapped for 5 years. That'll never go away

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I've kind of wondered if Cap actually COULD have lifted Mjolnir in AoU, but stopped short because he thought it would embarrass Thor. It would change Thor's "I KNEW IT!" from an I knew you had it in you context to an I knew you were faking it all those years ago one.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Throughout the MCU we are told only titans and celestials can handle infinity stones. Just holding one almost kills all the guardians but Tony Stark can handle all five long enough to snap? Ha no.
what do you think the various gauntlets are for?

Thanos straight takes Hulk apart casually and walks right through scarlet witch but then in end game his power level fluctuates wildly and is suddenly held up by Thor and Cap with relative ease and almost gets solo killed by Scarlet Witch. Thanos gets weaker throughout End Game seemingly just as a plot device.
He doesn't walk through Scarlet Witch. Even with four infinity stones she still holds him off with one hand long enough to destroy the Mind Stone.

Suddenly Cap can not only wield mijolner but he also has Thors power of lightning! Absolutely unearned and silly.
that's how mjolnir works

Pim particles. In ant man 2 we are told shrinking down to the sub atomic zone (sp) takes a ton of energy and special particles per person. But apparently a hand from Nebula and half a vial of pim particles and Thanks can shrink his entire ship full of thousands of troops back to the future! Absolutely ridiculous.
Not substantially different from Hank Pym carrying around an entire building like a briefcase in Ant-Man 2. And it's entirely plausible that Thanos and crew could have replicated the pym particles with their tech.
The absolute lack of the galaxy in End Game is insane. So we kill half the universe but I guess no one cares but Earth right? Where are the Kree? The other celestials? Anyone else in the entire universe? Terrible.
everyone else cares, but the focus of the movie is on the charaters we already know

captain marvel is out there in space putting out fires for most of the movie

gotta say, these are some real CinemaSins tier garbage nitpicks

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

How so?

He kicked everyone's ass in Endgame again. Thor, Cap and Tony get some hits on him here and there but no one slows him down at all. For the much hyped rematch they don't do any better than IW.

He destroys Cap's shield which I thought was unbreakable.

Scarlet Witch is powerful and cuts loose on him and he's forced to bombard his own troops to stop her. That fits.

Carol matches up to him and he's forced to use the Power Stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.