• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Why did Antman turn into Giant Man when he clearly should've been focusing on Thanos' ass?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Throughout the MCU we are told only titans and celestials can handle infinity stones. Just holding one almost kills all the guardians but Tony Stark can handle all five long enough to snap? Ha no.
I'm pretty sure only the Power Stone is like that. I remember Thanos intentionally trying to kill someone like that in Infinity War but I forgot the exact scene.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
A movie can be loved and have a trash plot. Happens all the time. Tell me I'm wrong with my examples.

No. Because your objective with this thread was not to bring up salient points as to why something is bad. You set out to be contrarian and nitpick a bunch of bullshit in order to gain attention while everyone else is riding high on the culmination of a decade-plus long entertainment property.

Congrats. Attention granted.

None of the things you mentioned, regardless of their merit, matter when it comes to the emotional truth of the story, and the cathartic climax of the stories of these beloved characters.

In the future, I suggest you lighten up and stop taking action sci-fi/comic book movies so seriously, and enjoy the ride.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I would disagree about Odins meaning, as well. Just because the hammer wasnt the only source of Thor's power doesn't mean it doesn't grant power if you are worthy to wield it.

Or do you just think it was so heavy that Hulk couldn't lift it, Rather than it actually being magic/asgard mythic tech?

Oct 26, 2017
Nice troll thread, OP.

Is Endgame your first MCU movie? You're gonna be shocked when I tell you it's the second part to a two-part film.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this movie opening night and was stunned at how sloppy the plot is. It felt rushed and completely arbitrary.

Throughout the MCU we are told only titans and celestials can handle infinity stones. Just holding one almost kills all the guardians but Tony Stark can handle all five long enough to snap? Ha no.

Thanos straight takes Hulk apart casually and walks right through scarlet witch but then in end game his power level fluctuates wildly and is suddenly held up by Thor and Cap with relative ease and almost gets solo killed by Scarlet Witch. Thanos gets weaker throughout End Game seemingly just as a plot device.

Suddenly Cap can not only wield mijolner but he also has Thors power of lightning! Absolutely unearned and silly.

Pim particles. In ant man 2 we are told shrinking down to the sub atomic zone (sp) takes a ton of energy and special particles per person. But apparently a hand from Nebula and half a vial of pim particles and Thanks can shrink his entire ship full of thousands of troops back to the future! Absolutely ridiculous.

The absolute lack of the galaxy in End Game is insane. So we kill half the universe but I guess no one cares but Earth right? Where are the Kree? The other celestials? Anyone else in the entire universe? Terrible.

One of the things I liked about the MCU was its seemingly planned out nature but End game for me showed this is far more fake it till you make it than a real plan. End Game discards tons of its own rules and tends to just make shit up on the fly to suit it's purpose. It felt rushed and the action was incredibly poor especially when taking the source material into account. I was really disappointed and surprised it got such good reviews. To me it's the 4 worst marvel movie above IM3, TDW, and Hulk.

1. Tony built the gauntlet. he wasn't handling the stones directly. It's like the containers they used in for the Power Stone in Guardians 1

2. They're fighting 2014 Thanos at the end of Endgame. A Thanos without the stones.

3. "Whoever holds this hammer, should he be worthy, shall have the power of Thor" and Cap is worthy.

4. Thanos is smart, and he has a ship full of people. Makes sense they could replicate the pym particles.

5. The fight unexpectedly starts after the time heist. There wasn't enough time to gather together all the galaxy to Avengers HW on Earth. Strange and Wong brought in people they knew were out there.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
At this point op is either trolling or dumb as hell. I hope it's the former.

OP
OP

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Tony had nanomachines hold them. Quill was able to hold a stone just fine when it was in a case. Also interesting is the mini-retcon of the trap for that stone. Quill was unaffected, but Nebula wasn't. Likely because of Quill's parentage.
M
This is an earlier version of Thanos, and Hulk has grown quite a bit.

Not only defined within the MCU, but also teased in a prior film. Working 100% as intended.

Thanos has a goddamn wizard on staff. We also don't know how much time passed since he sent Nebula through. Dude with his resources can reverse engineer what he needs. Not everything needs to be spelled out on screen/

The movie is screening on Earth, not Hala. The story is about how it impacts Earth's heroes. Not a story about another planet.

If you didn't watch the other films I can see how it might feel rushed, or things happening w/o reason, but a lot of the small things were there as nods to prior events/teases.
The power stone case is not the same as the infinity gauntlet as the gauntlet puts the power through you. Quill couldn't activate the stone in the case that example doesn't work. Nanomachines is a joke come on.

A movie teased that cap might be able to move mijolner but Ragnorok straight up SAYS what mijolner is and does by Odin. It's not a hint. Also lifting mijolner doesn't suddenly mean you spit lightning.

Earlier version of Thanos gets beat by hulk? Nah. He's still the same Thanos that's again quite a weak excuse.

If you kill half the universe, especially when you've introduced said universe, it's incredibly weak to then try and shrink it down to just earth especially 5 years in the future. The plot was silly

At this point op is either trolling or dumb as hell. I hope it's the former.
If you can't debate me then get out of the thread. No need to act like a douche.

Oct 25, 2017
OP's points aren't entirely off base. You can like the movie and still call bullshit on certain things. Didn't buy the Iron Man gauntlet either. Liberties were definitely taken to get to where they wanted to go, you can admit that much.

Thanos transporting his entire army back was also a stretch.

With that said OP, this is a younger less experienced Thanks, makes sense for him to be weaker. Even though he still took everyone 1 on 1.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else really matter. Don't need to shove anyone else into the movie. This isn't an inconsistency. We know the rest of the universe went to shit from talk from Danvers. this is a choice just to not show it

Ironically we got groups like the Ravagers and freaking Howard the Duck showing up to the final battle, so this nitpick is even sillier

Unless OP literally wanted a movie from the POV of another planet...

There is a thread for Endgame.

Uh, then how do we give OP the attention he wants, checkmate

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It is kinda amusing that all these nitpicks results in this being one of the worst MCU films ever for you haha.

I'm telling you-the amount of nitpicking on the internet is FUCKING INSANE. Some people can't just watch a movie. They're busy making checklists during the film.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
You can use the Stone just fine if you don't directly touch it. That's why Ronan used it in his hammer
I meant with the direct touch of the stone, yeah. You can also kill someone by forcing them to touch the stone for a small period of time, which I remember Thanos trying to do in Infinity War.

Oh right, I remember now! It was in the beginning when Thanos was about to kill Thor to get Loki to give up the Space Stone.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
If there was a reason why Tony had to snap again, and Carol couldn't just help them clean up the rest of the fight, then I'm not very sure of it. It was a noble endeavor anyway, because it probably saved a lot of casualties on the Avengers' side, but it didn't seem necessary, strictly speaking. I'm also unconvinced that Tony would have fucked things up if Strange told him how to proceed.

This means that theoretically Strange saw a future where he already knew that there was only one path to success, and in this future he told Tony what to do, and then they failed anyway. But if Strange already knew what the one successful path was then he wouldn't have gone down any errant ways, so it creates a paradoxical forecast. To put it another way, why would Strange forecast a future where he already knows the one exact way to beat Thanos, and he does the wrong thing anyway? Just to prove a point?

It also means Strange saw that the rat would save Ant-Man, but he decided not to tell anyone, and that he saw Carol would kick everyone's ass, but he decided not to tell anyone about her either or get a message through. In IW everyone was mad at Quill for goofing up, but I think Strange is the real culprit here.

Good movie though. Lots of fun scenes. Fat Thor is the best Thor.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Literally every single point you make is explained in Endgame or in a previous movie

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watch Ragnorok. Odin says the hammer was never Thors power and that it only helps him focus it. Once again End Game makes up rules on the fly. Not to mention it's ridiculous anyways.

The hammer isn't the source of Thor's power. It's Thor's power.

The hammer bestows those powers unto anyone else worthy enough to lift it, though. As written on the side of the damn thing. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

OP
OP

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
1. Tony built the gauntlet. he wasn't handling the stones directly. It's like the containers they used in for the Power Stone in Guardians 1

2. They're fighting 2014 Thanos at the end of Endgame. A Thanos without the stones.

3. "Whoever holds this hammer, should he be worthy, shall have the power of Thor" and Cap is worthy.

4. Thanos is smart, and he has a ship full of people. Makes sense they could replicate the pym particles.

5. The fight unexpectedly starts after the time heist. There wasn't enough time to gather together all the galaxy to Avengers HW on Earth. Strange and Wong brought in people they knew were out there.
1 tony was handling the stones directly. It literally shows the power in his skin

2 2014 Thanos is still Thanos the titan. His still incredibly strong and a world conquerer. As said before he easily beat hulk without using the stones.

3 Like I've already said Odin said what Mijolner actually was and does in Ragnorok. It's a cornerstone of the movie that Thors power does not come from Mijolner at all.

4 yeah no because the power aspect is still totally missing. Let's not forget Nebulas intergalactic WiFi I forgot about that lovely part too. Lol.

5 the comics have all the celestials. It makes zero sense that in 5 years nothing involving them happened. Absolute zero.

The hammer isn't the source of Thor's power. It's Thor's power.

The hammer bestows those powers unto anyone else worthy enough to lift it, though. As written on the side of the damn thing. These things aren't mutually exclusive.
Yes I understand that. Which is why Thor thought it was the source of his power. It was a gift from Odin. Then Odin corrects Thor in that it was only to help him focus his power in Ragnorok. In other words Odin put that there for Thor to be confident in his power when the whole time it was just Thor not mijolner.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If there was a reason why Tony had to snap again, and Carol couldn't just help them clean up the rest of the fight, then I'm not very sure of it. It was a noble endeavor anyway, because it probably saved a lot of casualties on the Avengers' side, but it didn't seem necessary, strictly speaking. I'm also unconvinced that Tony would have fucked things up if Strange told him how to proceed.

This means that theoretically Strange saw a future where he already knew that there was only one path to success, and in this future he told Tony what to do, and then they failed anyway. But if Strange already knew what the one successful path was then he wouldn't have gone down any errant ways, so it creates a paradoxical forecast. To put it another way, why would Strange forecast a future where he already knows the one exact way to beat Thanos, and he does the wrong thing anyway? Just to prove a point?

It also means Strange saw that the rat would save Ant-Man, but he decided not to tell anyone, and that he saw Carol would kick everyone's ass, but he decided not to tell anyone about her either or get a message through. In IW everyone was mad at Quill for goofing up, but I think Strange is the real culprit here.

Good movie though. Lots of fun scenes. Fat Thor is the best Thor.
If Strange told anyone anything, the future changes and they lose. The only way they win is the way we saw it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I meant with the direct touch of the stone, yeah. You can also kill someone by forcing them to touch the stone for a small period of time, which I remember Thanos trying to do in Infinity War.

Oh right, I remember now! It was in the beginning when Thanos was about to kill Thor to get Loki to give up the Space Stone.

I think the implication is that the Power Stone in particular is super radioactive because it has control over all forms of energy. Touching it unshielded is dangerous.

The other stones have never been shown to be that destructive when touched.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That's a complete and total ass pull. So Tony is now a better smarter designer than that mythical place that designs Thors weapons? That's just more End Game making stuff up as it goes and exactly what I'm talking about
He isn't. Which is why he died after holding the thing for ten seconds.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
If Iron Man can crack time travel he make a Nano Gauntlet strong enough to handle the stones.

Also, I don't know if you guys know this, but this movie is based off a comic book.

Oct 27, 2017
You specifically mention Hulk and Scarlet Witch in your post. He has the Power stone when he fights Hulk, and 5/6 against Scarlet Witch.

Thanos had the power stone when he beats up Hulk in Infinity War. He also had more stones when he fights Witch in Infinity War. But in Endgame, he didnt have them. And Scarlet Witch, not even at full power could obliterate Thanos. At full pwoer, she can warp reality. Thor has proven he can hurt Thanos, stones or not. And with Captain America helping, who also gained the hammer too. Thanos is right where he should be

When he beats Hulk he isn't using the power stone. In order to use a stone he has to close his fist and activate it. It isn't a passive effect. He beats Hulk on his own.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this movie opening night and was stunned at how sloppy the plot is. It felt rushed and completely arbitrary.

Thanos straight takes Hulk apart casually and walks right through scarlet witch but then in end game his power level fluctuates wildly and is suddenly held up by Thor and Cap with relative ease and almost gets solo killed by Scarlet Witch. Thanos gets weaker throughout End Game seemingly just as a plot device.

Suddenly Cap can not only wield mijolner but he also has Thors power of lightning! Absolutely unearned and silly.

Pim particles. In ant man 2 we are told shrinking down to the sub atomic zone (sp) takes a ton of energy and special particles per person. But apparently a hand from Nebula and half a vial of pim particles and Thanks can shrink his entire ship full of thousands of troops back to the future! Absolutely ridiculous.

The absolute lack of the galaxy in End Game is insane. So we kill half the universe but I guess no one cares but Earth right? Where are the Kree? The other celestials? Anyone else in the entire universe? Terrible.

One of the things I liked about the MCU was its seemingly planned out nature but End game for me showed this is far more fake it till you make it than a real plan. End Game discards tons of its own rules and tends to just make shit up on the fly to suit it's purpose. It felt rushed and the action was incredibly poor especially when taking the source material into account. I was really disappointed and surprised it got such good reviews. To me it's the 4 worst marvel movie above IM3, TDW, and Hulk.
This whole post is dumb and just shows that you aren't really paying attention going into it just to make up holes that either aren't there or don't even really matter.

1) Really only the Power stone in the MCU has an effect on the user (hence in Guardians). When you have the 5 stones its really when you are trying to use it does it affect you. For Tony, if you actually pay attention to the frame... you can tell that the power of the stones was seeping into his armor. The nanomachines in the armor were holding back the power of the stones long enough for him to snap. Any longer and he would have been done. And what does it really matter in the end when he DIES when doing it?

2) Scarlet Witch is a different type of power when it comes to Hulk. Thanos is a strong character but he can't do anything about telekinetic powers especially without stones. That fight went on EXACTLY how it should have been especially when you look at the power set of the two. It's like saying Sabretooth should easily have been able to wipe the floor with Jean Grey in X Men... no, just no. As far as Thanos being held back by Thor and Cap "with relative ease"... I don't know which movie you saw but Thanos wipes the floor with Thor + Cap TWICE in the movie. And this is Thor with Storm Breaker and Cap with Mjolnir...

3) Already a bunch of users have shown how Mjolnir in the comics does allow the user to wield lightning powers. Thats part of using it!

4) This was already explained by the Russos bros that Thanos and his Black Order (specifically Ebony Maw) reverse engineered and mass produced the Pym Particle to be used with his entire army. Which makes sense as Thanos and co have access to far superior technology and probably scientists as well. I guess Russos bros really should start explaining every small detail in the movie so people without imagination will be satisfied and not start yelling "PLOT HOLES!" at every single detail that is missing. I guess next Avengers movie to be 5 hours long..

5) Why does the rest of the galaxy matter? The plot is about the plight of the Avengers who are on Earth. The audience does not care what is happening on Planet X201230, we care about what is happening to the characters that we are actually invested in. Captain Marvel is the stand in for the problems in the galaxy, probably the Nova Corps as well. And again... this is already a 3 hour movie and for them to cover the problems of other major planets in the MCU is just asking

When you have a movie of this scale and size with so many movies/characters/plots converging into it... it's impossible to cover everything because they are already covering so many things as it is. If you want to try to poke holes in the movie then you will be here all day because at the end of the day this is a high end super hero comic book movie. Not even the TDK trilogy was without plot holes or logic inconsistencies.

OP
OP

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I'm telling you-the amount of nitpicking on the internet is FUCKING INSANE. Some people can't just watch a movie. They're busy making checklists during the film.
It wasn't really a checklist. The time travel stuff, and tony using the infinity gauntlet was just absurd to me. It just felt like cheesy fan service.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan

I'm just picturing in my head him in the theatre pointing at the screen when cap fires some lightning and turning back at the audience like "what the hell?"

Then he stands up when Tony has the stones and just stamps his feet.

Rushes back home after the movie ends absolutely seething. Starts writing a strongly worded letter to Marvel studios. But instead makes this thread.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Wasn't Odin trying to basically tell Thor in Ragnarok that he was more than the hammer? I don't understand how Cap being able to wield Mjolnir is an actual issue with anyone. If anything that moment in AOU is actually dumb in hindsight but most people seem to see it as a retcon "ha ha jk lol" moment now.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn in this thread because there's definitely things to criticize in the OP, but this is a lot of people's defensive over a movie they liked speaking.

Anyone can simply watch a movie and not enjoy it without making checklists.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Wasn't Odin trying to basically tell Thor in Ragnarok that he was more than the hammer? I don't understand how Cap being able to wield Mjolnir is an actual issue with anyone. If anything that moment in AOU is actually dumb in hindsight but most people seem to see it as a retcon "ha ha jk lol" moment now.

Odin also put this on the hammer in Thor
"Whoever holds this hammer, should he be worthy, shall have the power of Thor"

It's also why Thor was happy when he was able to summon Mewmew in the past, Thor already has Thor's power, but if other are worthy, and they weild the hammer, they will be granted Thor like power by Odin's space magic/technology.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was one of those films were I was just happy being served a nice happy meal.
Satisfying fan service and I could care less about the "Cap ending" talk or anything else.
Kinda the opposite of something like THE LAST JEDI where all the fan stuff was deliberately challenged.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
OP's points aren't entirely off base. You can like the movie and still call bullshit on certain things. Didn't buy the Iron Man gauntlet either. Liberties were definitely taken to get to where they wanted to go, you can admit that much.

Thanos transporting his entire army back was also a stretch.

With that said OP, this is a younger less experienced Thanks, makes sense for him to be weaker. Even though he still took everyone 1 on 1.

Thanos transported his mothership to the future and it is HUGE. It's large enough to carry a large enough army we see in the final battle.

wiophjyrurxz.jpg

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tony's suit was capable of tanking a planet and Professor Hulk tends to be weaker than full Hulk. It makes sense that he'd be able to snap using his suit as a medium but it not being enough to keep him alive

Thanos beat Hulk because his fighting style is "keep punching it" while Cap and Thor are actually trained and were wielding mythical weapons

Cap's worthiness was alluded to back in Age of Ultron. The hammer's enchantment specifically states that you'll receive the power of Thor, so that means lightning too

They've thrown shrinking and growth disks at everything from a building to a PEZ dispenser

The rest of the galaxy was who Captain Marvel was off helping, and most likely didn't know what was going on and Strange probably wouldn't be able to bring them in

OP
OP

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
This whole post is dumb and just shows that you aren't really paying attention going into it just to make up holes that either aren't there or don't even really matter.

1) Really only the Power stone in the MCU has an effect on the user (hence in Guardians). When you have the 5 stones its really when you are trying to use it does it affect you. For Tony, if you actually pay attention to the frame... you can tell that the power of the stones was seeping into his armor. The nanomachines in the armor were holding back the power of the stones long enough for him to snap. Any longer and he would have been done. And what does it really matter in the end when he DIES when doing it?

2) Scarlet Witch is a different type of power when it comes to Hulk. Thanos is a strong character but he can't do anything about telekinetic powers especially without stones. That fight went on EXACTLY how it should have been especially when you look at the power set of the two. It's like saying Sabretooth should easily have been able to wipe the floor with Jean Grey in X Men... no, just no. As far as Thanos being held back by Thor and Cap "with relative ease"... I don't know which movie you saw but Thanos wipes the floor with Thor + Cap TWICE in the movie. And this is Thor with Storm Breaker and Cap with Mjolnir...

3) Already a bunch of users have shown how Mjolnir in the comics does allow the user to wield lightning powers. Thats part of using it!

4) This was already explained by the Russos bros that Thanos and his Black Order (specifically Ebony Maw) reverse engineered and mass produced the Pym Particle to be used with his entire army. Which makes sense as Thanos and co have access to far superior technology and probably scientists as well. I guess Russos bros really should start explaining every small detail in the movie so people without imagination will be satisfied and not start yelling "PLOT HOLES!" at every single detail that is missing. I guess next Avengers movie to be 5 hours long..

5) Why does the rest of the galaxy matter? The plot is about the plight of the Avengers who are on Earth. The audience does not care what is happening on Planet X201230, we care about what is happening to the characters that we are actually invested in. Captain Marvel is the stand in for the problems in the galaxy, probably the Nova Corps as well. And again... this is already a 3 hour movie and for them to cover the problems of other major planets in the MCU is just asking

When you have a movie of this scale and size with so many movies/characters/plots converging into it... it's impossible to cover everything because they are already covering so many things as it is. If you want to try to poke holes in the movie then you will be here all day because at the end of the day this is a high end super hero comic book movie. Not even the TDK trilogy was without plot holes or logic inconsistencies.
1 nano machines can control the infinity stones now? Which would mean nano machines are on the same level as celestials? Once again that just makes no sense in the scheme of things.

2 he kills cap with one punch in the comics. He knocks him out with one punch without the stones in the prior movie. Made zero sense that now cap and fat Thor can hold him off.

3 I've already answered this so I'll agree to disagree here

4 this doesn't answer the issue of energy required at site in the future or how they teleported from middle space to earths base instantly. I guess that was the magic of nebulas fingers.

5 if the rest of the galaxy doesn't matter why are the guardians there?

I think the big difference is I've read the source material and up until End Game I felt like they were doing the source material justice with needed changes but End Game is a shadow of what was in the comics.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I agree that Tony being able to make his own gauntlet like that was BS. Nanomachines is a shitty cop-out.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Odin says the Mjolnr wasn't the source of Thor's strength.
This does not rule out the hammer not having the power of Thor.
Thor has Thor's power, but the hammer can also have Thor's power.

Status
Not open for further replies.