• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Optmst

Apr 9, 2020
It is a problem on PC and Microsoft knew this and addressed it.
It's a problem when you don't have a decent airflow, like most people.
Look up recent SSD reviews with/without heatsinks, in many of them there's no deference in thermal performance between heatsinks or no heatsinks
XSX thermal design is a copy of Mac Pro 2013 "trashcan Mac", which didn't handle heat properly and caused many issues that lead Apple to redesign it to the current form factor "cheese-grater Mac!"
It's going to be interesting to see how XSX is going to handle all the heat when all the demanding titles hit

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Beastcast mentioned too that the expandable storage gets really toasty. Might not be that abnormal for the tech though.
In my experience? It's not abnormal at all. In fact, it's not uncommon for motherboards with NVMe slots to come with heat sinks to mount on top of the m.2 drives. It's not always necessary, but then again, I'm not working with one tuned for ultra-fast loading and high-capacity storage.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a problem when you don't have a decent airflow, like most people.
Look up recent SSD reviews with/without heatsinks, in many of them there's no deference in thermal performance between heatsinks or no heatsinks
XSX thermal design is a copy of Mac Pro 2013 "trashcan Mac", which didn't handle heat properly and caused many issues that lead Apple to redesign it to the current form factor "cheese-grater Mac!"
It's going to be interesting to see how XSX is going to handle all the heat when all the demanding titles hit
Thanks for the info, now I'd be really worried if I had the console pre-ordered. Gladly I went with the Series S.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah. It's so different that that the rational conclusion is the exact opposite of what everyone with first-hand experience are saying.

I don't think anyone here is saying that, it's just that both scenarios (PS5 and XSX tests so far) are a measuring stick for how these consoles perform in an average household.

PS5 was placed on a table, ran a glorified demo disc, people weren't allowed to move it, touch or do anything else.
-> not gonna happen at my house

XSX was shipped to content creators that had to quickly test every possible feature (test/download a ton of games, SSD copy speeds etc.) to get content out

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
This is probably nothing. I do wonder about next gen games running on the console, but mostly because I don't know what approach they are taking. It's just super odd. We know they will run great, but it's weird.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Exhausting a lot of heat is fine as that means you're actually efficiently getting it out of the system. I think I remember the original PS3 had much hotter air coming out of it than the 360 and it was made fun of as a coffee warmer in late 2006. Then of course RROD happened....

I think/hope not. I feel like that really scared the shit out of MS engineers and so their future consoles went way overkill with the cooling.

Pretty much all the power that a computer uses gets converted to heat. The XSX has a 2.5 amp plug so at 110V, that's a max of 275 watts max power draw. Assuming the PSU is kept around the 80% usage mark (usually when efficiency is max) then the console itself will be using/outputting a MAXIMUM of 220 watts of energy.

From rear port photos I can find, it looks like both the PS5 ans XSX use the C7 connector so these numbers as far as max heat output are the same for both consoles:

en.wikipedia.org

IEC 60320 - Wikipedia

It's important to note that I'm talking about the maximum amount of power that can be pulled from that C7 connector, the console can be in 0.5 watt standby mode or go full bore space heater mode. These two consoles are pretty much identical in terms of how much energy their CPU, SSD, and motherboards use but it's only the GPU that is really different. The unknowns at this point are whether a bigger chip or higher clock is the more thermally efficient solution and of course they have totally different designs as far as how they transport the heat out of the case. I think we'll all need to wait 4-6 weeks for someone to rip these consoles apart and put temperature probes everywhere to see if heat is efficiently being exhausted.
Thanks for the reply! This makes sense. I'm curious, do you think Sony's "boost" approach might make a difference in heat generation? Again, total layman here, but didn't Cerny mention that the PS5 would draw a consistent amount of power and regulate via clocks instead?

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
oh that's not that surprising if he JUST pulled it out lol

yeah makes sense now that I'm seeing it. Obviously you're not supposed to touch the exposed drive/heatsink right after pulling it out lol

didn't seem like it burned him
not to act like the detective here, but
first he pulls it out of the console,
then he holds it for about 5 seconds,
then he makes that comment,
and he immediately picks it up again and holds it in his palm...

You can see that he is holding it from the heat sink(!) after mere seconds, and even by doing that his body language doesn't seem to correlate to his words...
I believe specialized media should know and act better than this....

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it will be fine. I highly doubt Microsoft would fuck up again like with the X360.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
an SSD being written to (even in standby) will generate heat. That's not the same thing as the whole console getting hot.

Let's also not change the totally unscientific 'really toasty' to 'incredibly hot'.
The whole XSX in standby was "toasty".

The expansion card itself was "super hot".

I think the XSX giving off heat in standby is main the concern. So I wonder what is going on under the hood in standby that is causing it to exhaust heat to that degree.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
giphy.gif

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Aside from the Mac Pro 2013 and Xbox Series X both being 'stand up' vertical devices, they're not very similar at all internally - let alone a copy. The Mac Pro's triangular design is quite significantly different than what the Xbox is doing.

Xbox Series X:
CafwIy6.png

Mac Pro 2013:

Ithj6gZ.png

fOuI7gK.png

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
As long as it runs silent and it doesn't throttle, then all is fine. The fact that it let's out really hot air and is silent means the thermal paste used and cooling mechanism are efficient.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
What's the point of hot swappable storage expansions to quickly switch between games during a single play session if you either need gloves or wait a few minutes before pulling it to let it cool down?
I guess most people won't have more than one of these anyways so it probably won't be a problem anyways.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
So long as it never has to turn off/throttle/melt itself 360 style, nothing really to be concerned about.

not to act like the detective here, but
first he pulls it out of the console,
then he holds it for about 5 seconds,
then he makes that comment,
and he immediately picks it up again and holds it in his palm...

You can see that he is holding it from the heat sink(!) after mere seconds, and even by doing that his body language doesn't seem to correlate to his words...
I believe specialized media should know and act better than this....

It's not like he's just touched a burning hot piece of metal. Plastic conducts heat poorly so it takes longer for it to be painful. He's also moving it constantly initially, which reduces how much heat gets transferred to his hand.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I don't think anyone here is saying that, it's just that both scenarios (PS5 and XSX tests so far) are a measuring stick for how these consoles perform in an average household.

PS5 was placed on a table, ran a glorified demo disc, people weren't allowed to move it, touch or do anything else.

XSX was shipped to content creators that had to quickly test every possible feature (test/download a ton of games, SSD copy speeds etc.) to get content out
Feller I'm replying to is literally saying that. I'm not saying that either scenario is giving us any foolproof information for the long haul, but both scenarios still give us some ample ideas how the consoles will run.

PS5 was still used in a 30 celsius environment and even if it ran a glorified demo, those still were the same games we're going to play on it. It's not like this doesn't tell us anything at all.

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There were some posts on GitHub 2 or 3 weeks ago discussing the series X "overheating", didn't think much of it at the time and along with this I assume they mean the heat the thing is kicking out? Which is not a problem in the grand scheme of things.

As long as the fan is putting the heat outside the console and you place it somewhere with plenty of open air around it, it'll be fine and even if it does start to get too toasty internally Microsoft can roll an update out that turns the fan speed up slightly.

As for the expansion card....the guy who touched the metal part must be the same person why Dodge had to put warning stickers on the exhaust of a Viper ~10 years ago to not touch them after driving. Of course that part will be hot!

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
What's the point of hot swappable storage expansions to quickly switch between games during a single play session if you either need gloves or wait a few minutes before pulling it to let it cool down?
I guess most people won't have more than one of these anyways so it probably won't be a problem anyways.

You probably do it by using the plastic handle rather than pulling it out and grabbing the hot metal.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
It's not like he's just touched a burning hot piece of metal. Plastic conducts heat poorly so it takes longer for it to be painful. He's also moving it constantly initially, which reduces how much heat gets transferred to his hand.
after making the comment, he immediately picks it up again and holds it in his palm.
not something you would do with something "on fire super hot"

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Violent heat, lmao.

High end hardware is expected to produce heat. It would be black magic if it didn't.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I wonder if next gen games will push hardware more, or playing BV games with GPU running at max frequencies all the time due to less eficiency is worse regarding energy consumption and heat.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'd like to see more on this, not just the one outlet.

If I got this machine, it would sit on a shelf (i.e. significant clear air on three sides) but with only ~3/4cm clearance above it. Want to know it isn't going to brute itself to death.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
after making the comment, he immediately picks it up again and holds it in his palm.
not something you would do with something "burning hot"

Come on. Jeff Bakalar is not making up that it was hot. This is not some kind of anti-Xbox conspiracy in the middle of his generally positive comments about the console. He was surprised by the heat of some part of it, put it down, and then picked it up again more carefully.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Certainly not a great thing that there's something removable which can be burning hot to touch after use.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm amazed that people really think Jeff Bakalar, out of all people, would just make up this.

Really, it's not that hard to understand, it did not burn the palm of his hand and lost his skin with the fire of a thousand hells, he just touched it and was hotter than he expected. Same with the console.

Status
Not open for further replies.