• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Would the SSD be hot if the system is downloading a game in standby? Could that be the reason Bakalar's system/SSD was hot - even during standby?

sure if it's installing/downloading something, and right after taking it out, the heatsink is gonna stay warm for a while. kinda dumb of jeff to touch it but it didn't seem that bad lol

Me too. Except for Switch, which I only completely power down like once a week.

I do it too. power just randomly tends to flicker every few days so never wanna risk it. 20-25 second cold boot time for these new consoles is totally acceptable.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
from my back-compat feature at Ars:

I'll conclude this preview with the best news to come out of this venting weirdness: Series X, so far, is the quietest Xbox I've ever tested. Back-compat software runs the Series X to a high enough level to activate the fans and unleash noticeable heat dissipation, but I can barely hear it, even while spending hours in current-gen, open-world romps like Destiny 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2. Will that change when we get higher-performing "next-gen" games to test? That question, and many more, will have to wait until next time.

Once we have Series X-specific software to test, and an embargo to match, I'll have more on how hot this runs. Also, anyone who would touch the proprietary expandable NVMe drive's aluminum part after it was being used in the system is not smart. NVMe drives are notorious for running at very high temps. He should probably try a lick test next.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Could be it's new marketing slogan.

tenor.gif

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Meh. If it's silent but hot, I'm not worried. My One X is always very warm. The heat has to go somewhere and NVMes are hot. If it were a critical issue, Microsoft wouldn't send out the consoles to the press so far in advance.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they aren't trading heat for acoustics.

Does the XSX have an opening on the bottom?
I wonder how hot the SSD runs.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
It'll be fine. Could be many reasons for this especially since some seem to run warmer than others. People probably shouldn't be touching that ssd or putting wires close to it though just in case.

I know for gpu and cpus in computers an acceptable level is from 60 or 65 up to like 80-85 Celsius. Yeah, that would be hot to touch but within the acceptable range.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
an SSD being written to (even in standby) will generate heat. That's not the same thing as the whole console getting hot.

Let's also not change the totally unscientific 'really toasty' to 'incredibly hot'.
He says the console is very warm despite not having been in use awhile.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
from my back-compat feature at Ars:

Once we have Series X-specific software to test, and an embargo to match, I'll have more on how hot this runs. Also, anyone who would touch the proprietary expandable NVMe drive's aluminum part after it was being used in the system is not smart. NVMe drives are notorious for running at very high temps. He should probably try a lick test next.

I was going to post if you have a PC with a NVMe hard drive to put your finger on it. Seems pretty common.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That's just what the kids say nowadays. "This Series X is hot! This PS5 is banging!"

Get with the times, OP.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Have people only just discovered electrical currents generate heat?

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Violent Sony Series X
Reading through the Bethesda acquisition thread about "the future of software" I've seen many people claiming arrogant Xbox has emerged. While I understand the intent of this is to claim "Xbox is making moves that I think are wrong and do not agree with" using the word arrogance is the opposite of what Xbox is doing.

Arrogance is usually born out of complacency. The idea that one doesn't need to do anything for a result. Arrogance is ultimately what screwed Sony over transitioning into the PS3 and what screwed Microsoft over transitioning into the Xbox One.

However, Xbox wants to avoid looking complacent anymore, whether due to the cyclical nature of the victor of the previous gen becoming the loser of the next or what have you.

So with the rumors of more money hatting huge publishers in the future, this is not arrogant Xbox.

This is "Violent Xbox"

As Jim Ryan tells you how they want to promote generations, make sure all Playstation first party titles use new features from the dualsense and SSD, Phil Spencer brandishes a knife and states "Peace was never an option"

As you see Xbox's slogan of "Power Your Dreams" and you ask "what about the PS5 player's dreams" Phil Spencer stares down upon you and whispers "pathetic"

I am just in awe of how aggressive Xbox is being, but this is not "arrogance". This is violence.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Well if it reaches 300w it's basically a 300w heater, which is no different to any mid range gaming PC except all the heat is being pushed out through one large top vent so the air will be more concentrated and thus feel hotter.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
Watch the video lol that's a very dramatic reading. He pulls the SSD expansion card out and touches the exposed heatsink and it's obviously hot, but he didn't hurt himself or anything
ahh okay. i don't watch a lot of videos from gaming personalities because it makes me not like them xD i usually just read up on written impressions

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
If its exhausting hot air then that's not necessarily a bad thing. When I repasted my Pro with liquid metal, the heat coming out from back was insane. But the system went from jet-engine to nearly quiet.

Feb 1, 2018
It's literally an SFFPC running a custom Windows, of course it runs hotter than average

And also blowing out hot air =/= running hot. Streamers are dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.